The Truth about Managing People...and Nothing But the Truth

The Truth about Managing People...and Nothing But the Truth

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  199 ratings  ·  24 reviews
This isn't just "someone's opinion..".It's the first, definitive, evidence-based guide to effective management. In "The Truth About Managing People...and Nothing but the Truth," Robbins delivers principles you can rely on throughout your entire management career--regardless of your organization, role or title. This is a management book that cuts through the soft opinion an...more
Published June 11th 2003 by FT Press (first published February 1st 2002)

Be the first to ask a question about The Truth about Managing People...and Nothing But the Truth

Jen
Downloaded on a lark because it was free, I actually found this book useful and interesting, even though I am not yet a manager. Suddenly I was justified in every complaint I've ever had about a boss, and now I know that the things I was asking for and not getting were not unique to me, but rather things every employee needs. It's given me confidence to speak up for the resources I'm lacking, and I'm able to frame it in a way that makes it less about me and more about best practices. I also foun...more
Cigdem
This is a very insightful book, organized as tips in different categories. The titles I related most based on my experience as both an employee and a manager were:

1. The Truth about Hiring
Forget traits; its behavior that counts
When in doubt, hire conscientious people

2. The Truth about Motivation
Telling employees to do their best isn't likely to achieve their best.
Not everyone wants to participate in setting their goals
When giving feedback: criticize behaviour, not people
You get what you...more
Bryan Downey
This book is interesting because it provides ways to handle different situations in management. I see it as a guidebook that you could pull out an glance at when needed. Lastly I liked the format in which the information is presented, in truths.
Christopher
Its not as bad as I thought! Does gives some good insight and ideas about how to manage and lead. Though not a fast read unless you can trek through stuff that doesn't grip you.
Leader Summaries
Desde Leader Summaries recomendamos la lectura del libro La verdad sobre la dirección de personas, de Stephen Robbins.
Las personas interesadas en las siguientes temáticas lo encontrarán práctico y útil: recursos humanos, atraer, motivar y retener a los empleados.
En el siguiente enlace tienes el resumen del libro La verdad sobre la dirección de personas, Principios esenciales de la gestión de recursos humanos en las empresas: La verdad sobre la dirección de personas
Tania
Stephen P Robbins lays it all out in this latest version of his book The Truth About Managing People. He provides a blueprint for management, that if followed, can pull you out of many a bind. From tips on how to spot the right candidates at time of hire to advice on how to connect with those you already manage, his "truths" are sometimes common sense and sometimes a new way to approach an old problem. They all add up to a very comprehensive look at the challenges you face when managing people a...more
Kelly  Schuknecht
I have supervised people in some capacity in my professional life for about 7 years now. Early on, when I was put into a role that involved supervising 2-3 people, I learned that managing people can be challenging. Over the years, as that number has grown, I have learned that "one size" does not fit all when it comes to working with a variety of different personalities and skill sets.

This book is a great resource for any manager, whether brand new or a veteran. Robbins discusses every aspect of...more
Simon Gianoutsos
Useful content, in an easily digestible format. I had come across many of the points raised in this book previously, but it was good to have references to back up some of the recommendations.
Mildred
Básico y práctico en ideas, recomendable para gerentes y directores
Burçak Demirtaş
It has really useful and useable knowledges
Jim
Everybody benefits from learning some leadership skills.

Excellent book meant to be used as a quick reference to help you respond well to a wide variety of personal issues. Useful for more than just managing people, as it also can apply to coworkers, bosses, children, spouses and parents.
Dharwiyanti
short references on single issues that do not really correlate with each other.
so they can be read separately and non-sequentially, depending upon which issue you are currently interested in or experiencing yourself.

some of them are new for me, but some are kind of obvious though.
Gerald Kinro
Robbins lists 59 truths about managing people. Each one is short, simply written and easy to read. While many may not be applicable 100 percent of the time, I find to be helpful and a good read.
Heather
Some good advice, some obvious, some won't apply to you. Don't read it at one sitting; read a truth a day and skip those not applicable to you. You'll find some useful nuggets.
Christine
Some good tips. A lot of it was common sense. Also, if you have experience with counseling, it will sound familiar.

Not bad for a freebie.
Jenny
This was a very quick read and made a lot of sense. Though targeted toward managers, it was still useful as a lens to view myself through.
Jimming Cheng
not much insight here. Just read this because it happened to be free on my Kindle (and short)
John Finkelde
One of the best books you will ever read on leading people and organisations.
Nikita
This one is an easy read for those just getting into management!
John Weibull
A simple but useful book of how to manage people. Easy to read.
Joe O'c
Very Good; 63 short tips on various management topics
Kiki Marriott
Sound management theory in tiny easily-digested bites.
Julie
Good starter book that needs more idea to action examples.
Vladimir
Kinda boring and trivial, but oh well.
Andrea Glassman
Andrea Glassman marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Mustafa Abdelrahman
Mustafa Abdelrahman is currently reading it
Aug 14, 2014
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
  • Leading at a Higher Level: Blanchard on Leadership and Creating High Performing Organizations
  • The Lazy Project Manager: How to be Twice as Productive and Still Leave the Office Early
  • The Art of Asking: Ask Better Questions, Get Better Answers
  • Five Minutes on Mondays: Finding Unexpected Purpose, Peace, and Fulfillment at Work
  • In the Line of Fire: How to Handle Tough Questions...When It Counts
  • How to Argue: Powerfully, Persuasively, Positively
  • Living Rich by Spending Smart: How to Get More of What You Really Want
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
  • Success is Not an Accident: Change Your Choices Change Your Life
  • Retirementology: Rethinking the American Dream in a New Economy
  • Saving for Retirement without Living Like a Pauper or Winning the Lottery
  • The Rules of Work: The Unspoken Truth about Getting Ahead in Business
  • Wired to Care: How Companies Prosper When They Create Widespread Empathy
  • 25 Days to Better Thinking & Better Living: A Guide  for Improving Every Aspect of Your Life
  • Firms of Endearment: How World-Class Companies Profit from Passion and Purpose
  • Democratizing Innovation
  • Germs, Genes, & Civilization: How Epidemics Shaped Who We Are Today
  • The Simple Dollar: How One Man Wiped Out His Debts and Achieved the Life of His Dreams
Organizational Behavior (International Edition) Management Essentials of Organizational Behavior Fundamentals of Management: Essential Concepts and Applications Organization Theory: Structures, Designs, and Applications