Start by marking “The Crying Girl ” as Want to Read:
The Crying Girl

The Crying Girl

3.18 of 5 stars 3.18  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  22 reviews
As editor of a popular magazine that spotlights offbeat New England attractions, Amanda Vickers is intrigued by a call from an old college professor about a haunted New Hampshire inn. When she later hears that the woman has died under mysterious circumstances in the basement of this mysterious Shadsborough Inn, Amanda and her associate Marcie decide to investigate.

It seems
Paperback
Published January 2011 by Worldwide Library Worldwide Mysteries (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Crying Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crying Girl

Michelle
"The Crying Girl" is a spellbinding mystery set in an old New England town dating back to the early 19th century: and is authored by prolific novelist Glen Ebisch; who received his PhD in philosophy from Colombia University. He resides in Massachusetts with his wife.

Amanda Vickers, the editor of the magazine Roaming New England and her associate editor Marcie Ducasse travel to a small town in New Hampshire, to investigate the mysterious death of retired Professor Hazel Wilmont for a possible mag
Janel Tortorice
Definitely a light read. More than once, I felt like the plot was something that could have been a Scooby-Doo episode. At least the writing was very good (the prose itself, I mean).
Heather
The story was short for a novel, and probably could have been shorter, the story didn't really start picking up a full head of steam until about 2/3rds through. But it was a quick and enjoyable read. I felt a little bit like I was reading a Nancy Drew mystery or expected Scooby Doo and the gang to show up.

But that actually wasn't a detraction from it, it made it a charming story, especially when the story could have been so much darker and meaner. The characters were decently fleshed out, althou
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Nina
This was not the worst book I have read, nor the best.

As some reviewers have already pointed out, the story is quite short and the ending is not what you would expect but I didn't mind either of those things. Being a fan of short stories, I kind of expected all of the above so nothing about this book surprised me and I suppose that's why I found it both interesting and mediocre.
Katie
When I was in fifth grade, my class had to write mystery stories. I think some of those were better than this book. This is formulaic tripe. I didn't like any of the characters; they were all one-dimensional with no personality. There are far, far better mystery novels out there.
Aimee McDaniel
Nice read

This was a easy read nice plot short and to the point not to many twist and turns but keeps you interested. Would recommend
Chrissy Bond
An ok book.

This was a light read. it was ok just a very light read. not a very deep plot. it would be a great beach read.
chonte  colvin
Paranormal mystery

kept my attention it started out more like a paranormal investigation then turned into a mystery. very entertaining short story.
Deborah Zender
Entertaining murder mystery / haunted house ghost story. Fluff...
Dawn Pisturino
The plot was predictable and unoriginal, the writing conventional. The only saving grace was a small twist at the end.
Lori
Short book, just under 200 pages. It was a good thriller, I would read more books from this author.
Ashley
It was a good cozy mystery / ghost story. This was the first of the Marcie and Amanda series.
Gloria Mccracken
Not bad; not wonderful. The writing's a little clunky at times.
Nora
An pleasant read from Avalon Books... Amanda and Marcie are interesting characters. Is the house haunted? Did Professor Wilmot fall or was she pushed? What is her son doing? And is that inn really haunted?

Amanda doesn't think so and neither do we.

A good book to read in an evening. Amanda and Marcie are making another appearance in Grave Justice... will it be as good? Let's wait and see...
Steph
I think I'm the only sapsucker that gave Grave Justice four stars, grammar and typos and all. Saw one or two typos in this one, but I really like the characters, subject matter and location. So I'm a sapsucker. So what.
Amanda
A simple mystery with a hint of the paranormal, The Crying Girl is a great read. The characters are real to life and the plot is refreshingly realistic. Another one to check out by this author is Grave Justice.
Cindyc
Formulaic, poor character development, unlikeable characters. I was actually hoping that the ghost would get Amanda. What a waste of my precious time.
Andrea Eckelman
This was a fun mystery and a great beach read. It wrapped up a little too quickly and neatly for me, but I enjoyed it just the same!
Amanda
This was a good weekend mystery. The twist at the end was a fantastic ending.
Andrea
Glen Ebisch was one of my favorite professors in college!
Abbey
Abbey marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
  • Classic Revenge
  • Hark! The Herald Angel Screamed (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
  • Garden of Secrets Past
  • Autobiography
  • Fine Spirits (Daisy Gumm Majesty, #2)
  • Murder at the Bellamy Mansion (Magnolia Mysteries, #8)
  • Violet
  • Murder Spins a Tale (A Flock & Fiber Mystery #1)
  • A Gift for Murder
  • The Ghost and the Dead Deb (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • Avenging Angel (Mindhunters, #2)
  • Shades of Grey (Dulcie Schwartz Mystery, #1)
  • Fenway Fever
  • The Telltale Turtle (Pet Psychic Mystery #1)
  • Death and Honesty (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #8)
  • Cold Moon Dead
  • The Ecological Indian: Myth and History
  • HIDDEN MICKEY 2: It All Started...
Glen Albert Ebisch lives with his wife in western Massachusetts. His interests include philosophy, yoga, and New England folktales of the supernatural.
More about Glen Ebisch...
Ghosts from the Past Grave Justice Unwanted Inheritance The Black Dog: A Marcie and Amanda Mystery Rocky Road, A