Fodor's Walt Disney World with Kids 2012: with Universal Orlando, SeaWorld & Aquatica

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Your Ticket to a Magical Family Vacation!
Inside this new edition is all the information you need to have the family vacation of a lifetime at the Orlando theme parks.Up-to-date and written with the help of more than 500 families, this guide is packed with details on all the attractions at Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando, and SeaWorld.It's user-friendly, fun, and desig...more
Published October 20th 2011 by Fodor's Travel Publications Inc. (first published August 26th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Fodor's Walt Disney World with Kids 2012, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fodor's Walt Disney World with Kids 2012

Elizabeth
Walt Disney World with Kids 2010 by Kim Wright Wiley (pp. 472)

Touted as one of the best vacation guides to Walt Disney World, the title is a bit of mis-marketing. It really should be ‘An Overview of WDW with Some Age Related Content’ – but that title doesn’t sell books. The book never explicitly says it, but less than half the park attractions will be appropriate for 5 year olds and younger. She focuses on parades, shows, and expensive character dinner experiences to satisfy the youngster set. R...more
Dachokie
A Simple and Essential Guide That Covers the Fundamentals …

This book was reviewed as part of Amazon's Vine program which included a free advance copy of the book.

Our family of 4 (with two daughters aged 6 and 3) visited Disney World (Orlando, FL) in July 2011 and are heading back the first week of January 2013. We exclusively used a travel agent to assist in planning our first trip and while we had a blast, we felt like we missed several experiences for the kids unnecessarily (although I’m sure...more
Rachel
I used this book to plan a trip to Walt Disney World with my husband and two sons who are five and seven years old. The most helpful part of this book was the detailed descriptions of the rides for each park and the discussion of what ages the rides were most appropriate for. There is an easy to refer to chart for each park of the "Don't Miss" rides for different age groups of kids. This was helpful because there were several rides that our kids could have gone on because they met the height req...more
Amy
I found this book to be useful, providing tips that I haven't found in websites or other books.

I especially appreciated some of the Quick Guides... for example, a listing of what ride is where, the height requirements, speed of line, time needed, and age range. That will be helpful when planning out a day and trying to make sure we see all we want to see within a specific time frame. The fact that these Quick Guides are on blue pages make them easy to flip to for quick reference.

There are also s...more
Erin Price
A reasonable overview for most families, but distinctly lacking in both information about Disney's new FastPass+ system and any information for parents of young children. Many rides that the author deemed fine for all ages were way too intense for our 3.75yo, and I really could have used indicators of which rides have dark or thunderstormy sections and which allow for rider swap.
Paula
I really thought this had a lot of good information but wish I had bought the hard copy instead of the digital because it would be easier to reference the sections I wanted. This may force me to master the "notes" section.
Marissa
Great resource for a trip to Disney. Lots of good insider tips and lists. Good for organizing a plan!
Alex
I'm not going to give ratings to these books, but I am going to keep track of which ones I read.

This one was my favorite to read, which is funny because it is geared to families with kids. But I found the information so much more informative, since the author was going out of their way to explain why rides might be too scary for kids and when certain attractions are crowded because of the swarm of kids. So now I know that I want to hit up those scary rides, and avoid those other attractions! =)

P...more
Jamaie
If ur going to DisneyWorld(Florida), this is a book I recommend taking w/u if you can. Not only is there info on Disney & the 3 other parks associated w/Disney, but there is also info on Universal Studios(Harry Potter's Wizarding World...I've seen this & it's awesome if u r a fan of Harry Potter) and Sea World....yup, there's more to do in Florida besides DW. My personal recommendation for those doing DisneyWorld, especially w/kids....get out of that area & do other things that don't...more
Katy
I thought this was a very helpful guidebook about how to do Disney with kids. Wiley provides tips for different ages of kids and seems to know quite a bit of inside info. I especially like her easy-to-read lists of "Must-See" attractions for each park and the recommended minimum age for each attraction. I ear-marked several pages and plan to go back and review right before our Disney World trip next month.
Kat
I wanted to have an idea of what Disney World would be like and what all the rides, etc. are like so that we have a general idea of what to do. There are good descriptions of each ride with height restrictions, but also scare factors and suggested ages for rides. She goes into what rides are most crowded and when also. So far I think it's helpful. We'll see if that's still the case next week.
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
This was our first time in Disney with the kids and this book was a valuable resource. We loved the tips, the maps and the recommendations. From our experience Ms. Wiley was "on the nose" when it comes to recommending rides for the ager groups our children were belong to (two and four AND A HALF!!!!).

I've even showed it to friends who go to Disney every year and they found it helpful.
Andrea
This author knows what she is talking about, after all, she has been to Walt Disney World over 50 times. She offers great tips, fascinating strategies and many examples of what to do and what NOT to do. I found myself snickering throughout as I read her descriptions, opinions and knowledge about this great theme park. I'm all pumped up for going soon!
Jun 19, 2008 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone traveling with a small/ young child
Recommended to Amy by: Missy
If you've been to WDW recently, this book probably wouldn't help. However, I hadn't been since I was 18; I could be wrong, but I don't think there was such a thing as All Star Resorts, FastPass, single rider lines, Animal Kingdom, etc. then. This book allowed me to keep my sanity while preparing a trip with a two-year-old.
Tonya
This book had a lot of good information but it was WAY TOO BUSY for me! I like informational books to be in some sort of order. Print was too small and in my opinion, not very well organized. I ended up thumbing through it but decided I had other books on Disney that I liked better and had the same information.
Jessica
We are planning a trip for next year, so I am in the research stage. I found this book extremely helpful, with excellent tips on traveling with kids. I especially appreciated the lists of rides that are must sees and broken down by age category. Good resource for anyone planning a trip with young ones!
Carrie
This type of book is a must have for the frequent Disney Goer. Or even a 1st timer if you want a perfect trip. Lots of good advice and super time saving and money saving tips. I live near Disney, and have been there probably 100 times since I was a kid and I still learned from this book!
Cathy
Most helpful for general planning, understanding the parks layouts and options and deciding which Disney add-ons to buy (dining plan,etc.) Wish it had itinieraries! Doesn't include the newest dining plan options or go into much depth about the on-site resorts- focuses on higher end ones.
how to navigate Disney world with children. husband and I have been on our own, but not with the kdis. preparing mentally for the trip this upcoming october.
seems to have good ideas and tips, but many of them are just common sense.
Melissa
I was disappointed that this book did not say if certain rides, restaurants, and attractions were good or bad. There was a lot of information, but very little that didn't sound like Disney wrote it - no critiques.
Brandi Barnes
Sep 27, 2007 Brandi Barnes rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone planning a trip to WDW with kids
Imformative book. I like that it has favorite attractions broken out by age for each of the parks. "The Scare Factor" and "Helpful Hints" are very useful, too. Very good basic book without being too overwhelming.
Victoria Shepherd
Practically a must read, particularly for first time visitors looking to maximize fun and minimize frustration. A good idea to update your edition every 2 years as Disney is always changing things up.
Amy
This was a good overview book for people who haven't been to WDW in at least 20-25 years like me. It was well organized and easy to read and gave me a lot of good tips and suggestions.
Carrie
This was a great resource, full of useful tips-excellent for a parent that's going or considering going to WDW. Gearing up for our trip at the end of the month! :-)
Hannah
Helpful--I like that she takes into account responses she's received from readers of her past editions.
Lillie
Excellent guide. I don't usually read guide books but I was feeling overwhelmed by the upcoming trip. Will update how it useful it was after the trip.
Melissa
The info is condensed enough that it isn't too overwhelming while still being very useful. We took a lot of this author's advice and found it to be accurate.
Carly
Headed here with the kiddies in a few weeks and this book was surprisingly helpful! 512 pages of great tips to help the adults survive it all...
Kelly
Informative and easy to move through. Filled with great tips, but all of the information is the same you would find on disney websites.
Jane
I cannot believe you need to read a book to surive Disney World, but I'm glad I did. Very helpful and informative!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Walt Disney World with Kids Walt Disney World with Kids, 2002 Walt Disney World 4 Teens by Teens : The Hottest Rides, Coolest Shows, and Best Places to Eat and Shop! Disney World With Kids: The Unofficial Guide Fodor's Walt Disney World with Kids 2015: with Universal Orlando, SeaWorld & Aquatica