Start by marking “My World and Welcome to It” as Want to Read:
My World and Welcome to It

My World and Welcome to It

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  393 ratings  ·  23 reviews
The world of Thurber is splendidly sampled in these thirty stories, sketches, and articles that range from the wildest comedy to the serious business of murder. Animal courtship, maids, Macbeth, baseball, sailing, marriage-all fall within Thurber’s scope. Drawings by the Author.
Published March 19th 1969 by Mariner Books (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about My World and Welcome to It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My World and Welcome to It

Megan
A series of thoughtful and often slightly off-kilter vignettes. My favorite:

Interview with a Lemming

The weary scientist, tramping through the mountains of northern Europe in the winter weather dropped his knapsack and prepared to sit on a rock.

"Careful, brother," said a voice.

"Sorry," murmured the scientist, noting with some surprise that a lemming which he had been about to sit on had addressed him. "It is a source of considerable astonishment to me," said the scientist, sitting down beside the
Gary
Some of the tone and language will offend 21st century sensibilities and will underscore progress we have made and progress we have not made over the past 70 some years, but in each instance I think Thurber (sometimes subtly) contributes to that progress by announcing precisely how absurd any of us should seem to the other of us on the face of things.

A side from the sometimes disturbing experience of being removed from one's own time in a non-romantic fashion into the near and difficult past, ri
Hannah
Thoughtful, yet sometimes slow. Loved a few of the vignettes, slugged through a few. A lot of jumbled detail in the more political stories that I had trouble following, but loved the more plebeian stories about married life and English class.
Eleanor
My all time favorite Thurber. The stories of Olympy and learning to drive, as well as the foray into French phrase books, never pale for me.
Jimajima9
This work was published decades before I was born.
As such, it is a point-in-time reference to our culture.
But, story after story did not resonate with me.
Sadly, I put it down.
Omair
Excellent depictions of visual imagery in text form.
Ellen Little
I remember loving Thurber when I was younger, but a lot of the humor was too tied to the time in which it was written & didn't hold up well. :(
Shane
If you haven't read Thurber, go do it. He is amazing. Far and away, one of the most brilliant literary minds. His short stories are treasures and feel, to me, like burst of liquid sunlight. They are warm and vibrant and speak to you so simply, so honestly, and so filled with wit and humor.
Annette
short stories, essays, reflections... some funny, some scary, always reflective... definitey has a thing against women though.... what's really strange is that although written in 1935 these stories/morals/opinions are still with us today - ahead of his time and definitely a good writer.
Kelly
The Macbeth Murder Mystery is one of my favorites.
Glenna Barlow
from the mind that brought you walter mitter.. a delightful collection of witty little stories. if you enjoy clever writing and pop culture references that all date back to at least 60 years ago (which i do!) you'll probably like this one.
Dan
If you haven't read Thurber, you owe it to yourself to give it a try. Another reviewer dinged it for being dated, but for me that is part of its charm. Wonderful short stories and essays with style and wit. Simply delightful.
Alicia
I need to read more Thurber--he's hilarious! His writing is definitely not P.C., but I supposed that's a major part of the charm. This book is a collection of some of his best New Yorker writing.
Kaethe
Thurber amuses me, in a quiet sort of way. Not doing-a-spit-take-with-my-own-spit sort of way. Just a little upturning on the lips on one side of the mouth.
Mary Tuley
Aug 20, 2007 Mary Tuley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody.
Thurber's brilliant at being Thurber. I always want him to come out on top, and of course he never truly does. He's my favorite example of "hapless."
Robert
Nice collection of little stories; bigger than vignettes but not by much. Entertaining but not spellbinding. Humorous.
Maggie
just re-read. still entertaining. fits my sense of humor. may be dull to others. but i totally "get" thurber.
Ann
I adore Thurber. Thoroughly enjoyable, always funny, always so right on the money with character development.
Steven
I liked it the first time I read it as a child. It did not hold up to a re-read, however. It's a bit dated.
Thom Spencer
Thurber's insights into life are outrageous.
Rick Segers
It's James Thurber...what more do I need to say?
Barb
A highly enjoyable classic.
Eileen
Eileen marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Kithaab
Kithaab marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Mitch and Amy
Mitch and Amy marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
  • The Most Of S.J.Perelman
  • The Benchley Roundup
  • The Provincial Lady in London
  • The Bottom Of The Harbor
  • Elements of Wit: Mastering the Art of Being Interesting
  • P.G. Wodehouse : Five Complete Novels (The Return of Jeeves, Bertie Wooster Sees It Through, Spring Fever, The Butler Did It, The Old Reliable)
  • Metropolitan Life
  • Roasting-A Simple Art
  • Disquiet, Please!: More Humor Writing from The New Yorker
  • Here at The New Yorker
  • No Time for Sergeants
Thurber was born in Columbus, Ohio to Charles L. Thurber and Mary Agnes (Mame) Fisher Thurber. Both of his parents greatly influenced his work. His father, a sporadically employed clerk and minor politician who dreamed of being a lawyer or an actor, is said to have been the inspiration for the small, timid protagonist typical of many of his stories. Thurber described his mother as a "born comedien ...more
More about James Thurber...
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty Many Moons The 13 Clocks The Thurber Carnival My Life and Hard Times

“It is hard for me to believe that Miss Groby ever saw any work of literature from far enough away to know what it meant. She was forever climbing up the margins of books and crawling between their lines for the little gold of phrase, making marks with a pencil. As Palamides hunted the Questing Beast, she hunted the Figure of Speech. She hunted it through the clangorous halls of Shakespeare and through the green forests of Scott.” 3 likes