Start by marking “Apache Dawn: Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned” as Want to Read:
Apache Dawn: Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

Apache Dawn: Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  245 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The Apache attack helicopter is one of the world's most awesome weapons systems. Deployed for the first time in Afghanistan, it has already passed into legend. The only thing more incredible than the Apache itself are the pilots who fly her. For the first time, Apache Dawn tells their story—and their baptism of fire in the unforgiving battle of Helmand province.

Their call
Published November 23rd 2010 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Apache Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apache Dawn

Brian Greiner
An interesting read.
It is the story of a group of British Apache pilots during the Afghan conflict, told from a British point of view. That is, it is an interesting contrast to the usual American version of these things, with less jingoism and flag-waving.
Interestingly, the author makes the point several times that the British pilots took extreme care in ensuring that their human targets were, in fact, hostile forces and not innocent civilians. In fact, the pilots in the book were quite upset a
Mike
Whilst a good book, the author starts with the apache rescue at Jugroom Fort highlighting excellent work by 656 squadron apaches, perhaps he should have read the book by Ed Macy(MC) decorated for his action in flying an Apache and subsequent action on the ground during the rescue of Marine Matthew Ford...funny he doesnt mention this at all. was that a glaring omission as were some other aspects like the incorrect names of all the Apache aircrew involved...
And there is no excuse for perhaps the n
Jamie Spiller
Jan 28, 2015 Jamie Spiller rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Carlos
May 21, 2014 Carlos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about the Afganistan war were the apache's were stationed into five groups they had the moto, always outnumbered, never outgunned. It was a true story of how the inexperienced had became heroes and they keep having funny humour with occasional swear words in it. I felt it was the best book I ever read about and it is about a true story, so this book is a one to read.
Robert C.
A document of a 100 day tour of duty of the aircrew (and a little about the groundcrew) of Apache helicopters in the Helmand Province of Afghanistan in 2007.

The Helicopter sounds awesome, the pilots: brave as f...

You know - I just don't feel as if I can comment on the things that go on in this book - they are so far outside of my experience that anything I say would just be ... I don't know ... kinda awkward or wrong. The way the book is written makes it sound like any wins were won only because
Mr Chris Leonard
Jul 22, 2016 Mr Chris Leonard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this book and it was OK, surprisingly for Damien Lewis I didn't find it really caught me and whilst it was OK it definitely isn't one of his better books. If you're interested in the Apache read the two by Ed Macey, they are far better.
Liz Higham
Mar 21, 2014 Liz Higham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good read, but does have a few inaccuracies within it.
McJamred L. Tayaban
this is awesome!!!

Dec 07, 2010 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I truly admire the excellent job which the apache pilots did here and especially in undoubtedly saving lives of ground troops. The book describes many of the operations they were involved in. It goes into too much technical detail for my liking. I found the book exciting and sad in places and mundane in others, much like the lives of the participants I imagine. No offence to the pilots but it's only OK. A two and a half.
Rach
Wow! This book was amazing. It helped me to understand the war in Afghanistan more and more. I knew very little about it but once I finished this book I had a great understanding. The courage of the crew on Flight Ugly was amazing.These men fought for their country and showed determination and skill.
Elisa Kay
Aug 06, 2011 Elisa Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mark Ward
Oct 08, 2013 Mark Ward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this book and the first one of Damien's I have read. Explains about what goes on in Afghanistan in much more detail than you hear on the news as you hardly ever hear about the helicopter teams that are supporting the ground troupes. Can wait to read more of Damiens work.
Stuart
Nov 16, 2010 Stuart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Damien Lewis has an amazing ability to drop you right in the action and enable you to have a real insight into what the Apache pilots have to deal with not just under fire but the emotions they go through after missions. Amazing read couldnt put it down.
Jan
Jun 14, 2012 Jan rated it liked it
Compelling, easily read but also leaves the reader with a sense of frustration after reading. So the donkey lives but does it save Afghanistan when all the others are killed in droves (read and you will comprehend)
Mar 16, 2013 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read with plenty of action that tells what really happens in a war with an often invisible enemy who will stop at nothing. These blokes are truly heros.
Cassie Hanson
Damien Lewis' books have yet to disappoint me, hopefully this one holds up to the same standard.
Kevin
Jan 03, 2011 Kevin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good for the carnage but not as personal or in-depth as Macy's books, Hellfire and Apache.
Sep 08, 2012 James rated it liked it
An excellent account of the air war in Afghanistan.
Kristen
Kristen rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2016
Ananymity
Ananymity marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
craig hurdle
craig hurdle rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2016
John
John is currently reading it
Aug 11, 2016
Cory Vesey
Cory Vesey rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2016
Becky Bone
Becky Bone is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2016
Alan
Alan rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Jordan Edwards
Jordan Edwards marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Alison
Alison rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
Oli Draper
Oli Draper marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Marcus Bjorendahl
Marcus Bjorendahl rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Chris Dobson
Chris Dobson rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016
  • Hellfire
  • Task Force Black
  • 3 Para
  • Eight Lives Down: The Story of a Counterterrorist Bomb-Disposal Operator's Tour in Iraq
  • Phoenix Squadron
  • First Into Action
  • Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege
  • Land Of Fire
  • Pathfinder
  • Spoken From The Front: Real Voices From the Battlefields of Afghanistan
  • Bomb Hunters: Life and Death Stories with Britain's Elite Bomb Disposal Unit in Afghanistan
  • The Real "Bravo Two Zero"
  • The Circuit: An Ex-SAS Soldier's True Account of One of the Most Powerful and Secretive Industries Spawned by the War on Terror
Damien Lewis became an author largely by accident, when a British publisher asked him if he'd be willing to turn a TV documentary he was working on into a book. That film was shot in the Sudan war zone, and told the story of how Arab tribes seized black African slaves in horrific slave raids. Lewis had been to the Sudan war zone dozens of times over the past decade, reporting on that conflict for ...more
More about Damien Lewis...