Start by marking “Apache Dawn: Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned” as Want to Read:
Apache Dawn: Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

Apache Dawn: Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The Apache attack helicopter isone of the world’smost awesome weapons systems. Deployed for the first time in Afghanistan, it has already passed into legend. The only thing more incredible than the Apache itself are the pilots who fly her. For the first time, Apache Dawn tells their story—and their baptism of fire in the unforgiving battle of Helmand province.

Their call si
Published November 23rd 2010 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Apache Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apache Dawn

Mike
Whilst a good book, the author starts with the apache rescue at Jugroom Fort highlighting excellent work by 656 squadron apaches, perhaps he should have read the book by Ed Macy(MC) decorated for his action in flying an Apache and subsequent action on the ground during the rescue of Marine Matthew Ford...funny he doesnt mention this at all. was that a glaring omission as were some other aspects like the incorrect names of all the Apache aircrew involved...
And there is no excuse for perhaps the n
Jamie Spiller
Carlos
This book is about the Afganistan war were the apache's were stationed into five groups they had the moto, always outnumbered, never outgunned. It was a true story of how the inexperienced had became heroes and they keep having funny humour with occasional swear words in it. I felt it was the best book I ever read about and it is about a true story, so this book is a one to read.
Robert Day
A document of a 100 day tour of duty of the aircrew (and a little about the groundcrew) of Apache helicopters in the Helmand Province of Afghanistan in 2007.

The Helicopter sounds awesome, the pilots: brave as f...

You know - I just don't feel as if I can comment on the things that go on in this book - they are so far outside of my experience that anything I say would just be ... I don't know ... kinda awkward or wrong. The way the book is written makes it sound like any wins were won only because
Liz Higham
A good read, but does have a few inaccuracies within it.
James
I truly admire the excellent job which the apache pilots did here and especially in undoubtedly saving lives of ground troops. The book describes many of the operations they were involved in. It goes into too much technical detail for my liking. I found the book exciting and sad in places and mundane in others, much like the lives of the participants I imagine. No offence to the pilots but it's only OK. A two and a half.
Rach
Wow! This book was amazing. It helped me to understand the war in Afghanistan more and more. I knew very little about it but once I finished this book I had a great understanding. The courage of the crew on Flight Ugly was amazing.These men fought for their country and showed determination and skill.
Elisa Kay
Mark Ward
Really liked this book and the first one of Damien's I have read. Explains about what goes on in Afghanistan in much more detail than you hear on the news as you hardly ever hear about the helicopter teams that are supporting the ground troupes. Can wait to read more of Damiens work.
Stuart
Damien Lewis has an amazing ability to drop you right in the action and enable you to have a real insight into what the Apache pilots have to deal with not just under fire but the emotions they go through after missions. Amazing read couldnt put it down.
Jan
Compelling, easily read but also leaves the reader with a sense of frustration after reading. So the donkey lives but does it save Afghanistan when all the others are killed in droves (read and you will comprehend)
James
A good read with plenty of action that tells what really happens in a war with an often invisible enemy who will stop at nothing. These blokes are truly heros.
Cassie Hanson
Damien Lewis' books have yet to disappoint me, hopefully this one holds up to the same standard.
Kevin
Good for the carnage but not as personal or in-depth as Macy's books, Hellfire and Apache.
James
An excellent account of the air war in Afghanistan.
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Royce Beggs
Royce Beggs marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Sayswhosaysher
Sayswhosaysher marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
John
John added it
Oct 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Apache. Ed Macy
  • Eight Lives Down: The Story of a Counterterrorist Bomb-Disposal Operator's Tour in Iraq
  • 3 Para
  • Task Force Black
  • Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege
  • Mercenary, (Stratton, #5)
  • The Hit List
  • Brute Force (Nick Stone, #11)
  • Vulcan 607
  • Clean Kill (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #3)
  • Soldier Five: The Real Truth About The Bravo Two Zero Mission
Damien Lewis became an author largely by accident, when a British publisher asked him if he'd be willing to turn a TV documentary he was working on into a book. That film was shot in the Sudan war zone, and told the story of how Arab tribes seized black African slaves in horrific slave raids. Lewis had been to the Sudan war zone dozens of times over the past decade, reporting on that conflict for ...more
More about Damien Lewis...
The Dog Who Could Fly: The Incredible True Story of a WWII Airman and the Four-Legged Hero Who Flew At His Side Operation Certain Death Zero Six Bravo: The Explosive True Story of How 60 Special Forces Survived Against an Iraqi Army of 100,000 Cobra 405 Judy: A Dog In A Million