Start by marking “Kindergarten Rocks!” as Want to Read:
Kindergarten Rocks!

Kindergarten Rocks!

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Dexter is ready for kindergarten. Sort of. Well, actually, he's maybe kind of a little bit scared, perhaps even terrified, one might say. Because what if he gets lost? Or, what if the teacher is mean? Or, he misses his mom or dad? Or, worst of all, he loses his most important ally, Rufus?

With the same warmth, exuberance, and sly wit that have made her a favorite of booksel
Published July 1st 2005 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Kindergarten Rocks!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kindergarten Rocks!

midnightfaerie
Somewhere around a level 1 reading level book that my 5 yr old loves. He's going to charter school (public school online) but he's in class at church and can relate to the mentality. He knows he'd be bored if he'd go to a regular school and even told me he doesn't want to go, yet still loves to read this book. A great addition to our collection.
Daniele
Kindergarten Rocks is a preparatory book for children entering kindergarten. Dexter Dugan is pretty nervous about going to kindergarten. His big sister helps him through the process, and he comes out confident about his new experience.

The strongest aspect of this book is the author's voice. The book contains plenty of dialogue, and the voice stays strong. The tone of the book stays consistently conversational, and doesn't stray into other areas.

I would recommend that young writers develop and st
Fjóla
Books of this type can be useful to mentally prepare young kids for school, and even when your child is already of age she may enjoy the reassurance she gets from a book that mirrors her experience. The pictures in this book are somewhat engaging, they're done in crayons which is sort of a clever choice for a book about kindergarten, right? And many of the drawings are kind of childlike, such as the houses, which is fun. But after the first observations I started finding the book only moderately ...more
Ruth Ann
I think kids who are anticipating their first day of kindergarten should have a book to read which gives them a realistic idea of what to expect in Kindergarten, but I wouldn't recommend this book.
I liked that the title is positive and I liked that an older sister offers reassurance prior to the first day. I even thought it was clever that a book about kindergarten had crayon illustrations. But a rookie student might glean some inaccurate information from this book. Toys from home are rarely wel
Megan
Audience: K-2nd
Topic: Going to Kindergarten
Theme: Overcoming fears
Curricular Uses: Read Aloud, Independent Reading, Shared Reading
Reading Level: Early Readers
Literary Elements: Repetition, some rhyme
Illustrations: Very creative illustrations that reinforce the text. The use of speech bubbles in the illustrations adds energy to the pictures. Sometimes there are small illustrations on the page with text beside it that helps the reader figure out the text.
Additional Comments:
Caitlin Schwatka
This is an excellent book to read to your child as they get ready to start Kindergarten. This book is about a little boy named Dexter who, like most young children of that age, is nervous about starting Kindergarten. Throughout the book he verbalizes his fears, with his sister assuring him that there is no need to worry. I think this is a good book because young children will see not only does Dexter have the same fears they do, but that there really is no need to worry because there are teacher ...more
Mary
This is a wonderful book featuring Dexter, a soon-to-be kindergartener, who really, really, is not scared to go. Really. Honestly. It's just that, well, his stuffed dog, Rufus, is scared. This book takes the reader through the process of Dexter's (I mean Rufus's!) anxiety and how it is resolved. Pre-K children will see themselves in Dexter's eyes, lessening their anxiety while acknowledging that is okay to be afraid. Hopefully it will do the same for a parent's anxiety as well! The illustrations ...more
Jessica Lynch
Kindergarten Rocks is a very good book to read to children during the first week of school. It is about a little boy, Dexter, that is not scared to go to school but his stuffed dog, Rufus, is though. Dexter's fear of going to school is brought out through his dog.

I feel that the book's illustration is very attractive to young children because it is very brightly colored and easy for the children to understand. My favorite part is where Dexter shows that he is the one afraid because of the quest
Eileen
May 05, 2011 Eileen added it
Recommends it for: Parents who suck at parenting
Ugh.
A book that will induce fear in kids who aren't afraid of going to school, and may soothe fears of those kids that have formed fear thanks in part to books like these I'm sure, and TV that gives kids the idea that fear is the emotion that is associated with doing something new.

If we would stop introducing kids to reasons to fear things, then we wouldn't need these types of books.
Here's how it works:

Watch the movie Monsters with your kids. Even though that child had never thought about there
Nancy Jo Lambert
In this book, Dexter is headed to kindergarten. He enlists the help of his sister, Jessie, to answer some of his questions and ease his anxieties about going to kindergarten. Jessie answers his questions and assures him that "Kindergarten Rocks!"

Once Dexter gets to kindergarten, his experiences are fraught with new and exciting times that are a little unnerving. However, at every turn there are positive people and places that again remind him that kindergarten is fun!

I like that this book doesn'
Amy
Meet almost-kindergarten, Dexter, as he talks his way to being ready to begin his adventure in elementary school. His third grade sister, Jess, is there to remind him that he'll be fine, as he laments that his stuffed dog, Rufus might be scared or might get lost. Dexter begins his first day of kindergarten with Rufus and begins to realize that kindergarten is a pretty cool place to be - as he describes all of the day's events and highlights, that is, until Rufus is lost. Jess helps Dexter to bac ...more
Eva Kelly
Well, here's another book about how great kindergarten is supposed to be. It's still a year away but I figured I might as well find out about it, and you know what? It sounds like daycare, except there are more kids and more rooms. So I guess we'll see, won't we?
Sydney Foster
This book is a lot of fun. It would be a great read for students who are about to enter school. It shows that everyone is normally jittery and nervous about beginning. It also shows how it is okay to be nervous and it will all be okay.
Madeline Natzke
This book is made for either a pre k child at the end of the year or a new kindergartener. Its a great book to introudce them to what school is going to be like. In the story Dexter has an older sister named Jessie who is about to be in the third grade. He thinks he knows everything about it because of his mature big sister. It takes him threw the first day of school and all of things he is nervous about. I liked this book because children in the same situation can relate to it.

Extension: Have a
Ebony Hargett
This book was given to me a few years ago when my daughter was in the final few weeks of Pre-K. It is a great introduction to Kindergarten. I just love the positivity and messages in the title alone. In preparing both of my children mentally for Kindergarten, the whole summer prior to school was filled with "Kindergarten Rocks!!" chants. I would use this book at the start of the school year for a Kindergarten classroom or ending days of Pre-k. It tells a story that children can relate to and can ...more
Jennifer Velez
Kindergarten Rocks!, that is exactly what I want students to think. This book is a great book to read to the students on the first weeks of school, to encourage students and let them know that they have nothing to be scared of. This book is about a little boy named Dexter that has many fears about going to Kindergarten, but he doesn't say he is the one that is scared, it is his stuffed animal that is scared according to Dexter. This is a good book that contains a lot of easy verbs students need ...more
Amanda Hively
This book is great for students that are just starting school. Everyone has the first day jitters when coming back to school, but going to school for the first time ever can be terrifying! This book shows that it is ok to be nervous, anxious, and even a little bit scared but in the end everything will be alright!
Geannemarie
Great book to read to children going into kindergarten. Really cute tid bit at the end about author.
Kwilliamson
This would be a great book to read to kindergarteners during the first week of school. Dexter is about to enter kindergarten. Jessie is his older sister and soon-to-be third grader. Dexter thinks he is an expert at kindergarten because Jessie has told him all about it. Dexter expresses his fears by pretending his stuffed dog, Rufus, is scared about going to kindergarten. Dexter goes to kindergarten and takes Rufus with him. He participates in several activities but at the end of the day Rufus is ...more
Mary Ann
Dexter isn't scared about starting kindergarten, but his stuffed dog Rufus is a little nervous. So Dexter's older sister Jessie helps reassure Dexter and Rufus that kindergarten will be fine. "Rufus is scared I'll get lost on the way to school," says Dexter. "The bus driver knows the way. Don't worry, kindergarten rocks," reassures Jessie. Dexter finds out that kindergarten is lots of fun, and he getsto write letters, cook food, and play in the school's imagination station. The cartoon like draw ...more
Tuscania
This book was cute and funny! My 3 year asked me to re-read it a few times.
Sonam_ranani
Kindergarten Rocks is a great read for the first day of school. This book explains what Kindergarten is all about and what can be experienced throughout the very first days of school. Dexter is nervous about Kindergarten and what may come from it in his first day. This book is relatable to students and they can learn how to stay calm throughout the first days and how they can be brave. This book depicts a relatable character because many students are afraid within the first days of school. It ca ...more
Kristen
Great first day of school readaloud for Kindergarten!
Liane
Oct 25, 2008 Liane rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: megan

Reading Level: Early

Topics & Themes: Overcoming fears/anxieties about starting kindergarten. Older, more experienced sibling giving advice.

Curricular Use: Guided reading or independent.

Literary Elements: 1st person narrator child's experience. Humor. Using Dexter's stuffed dog, Rufus, to convey his emotions and express his fears: Dexter is definitely not scared of the first day of school, but Rufus is. Repetition.

Text & Pictures: Interaction of text and pictures. Dialo
Melody Richardson
Davis, K. (2005). Kindergarten Rocks!. Orlando, FL: Harcourt Books.

Subgroup: Brother-Sister Relationships

Genre: Fiction

Topics: Brother-Sister Relationships, Kindergarten

Synopsis: A boy learns from his sister what kindergarten will be like, but the first day turns out to be much more than he expects. When he gets there everything goes great until he loses his stuffed dog, Rufus. All ends well once he finds Rufus. He goes home to finally agree with his sister saying "Kindergarten Rocks!".
Jenna's Mom
Aug 18, 2008 Jenna's Mom rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids going to kindergarten, school-age kids
This book was a bit too old for Jenna at 3. The little boy in the book has many fears about going to school for the first time. When he brings his fears up to his family, he does so by saying that his toy dog (?) Rufus is scared of this or that. Jenna didn't get that part - the fact that it was really the boy who was afraid, not Rufus. This was a good story, though, and I would definitely like to read it again when Jenna gets to that First Day of Kindergarten age.
Latise
This is a great book to read during a transitional period to kindergarten. This book provides a great perspective of why kindergarten is such a wonderful grade, and highlights not only the fun activities but the great accomplishments students will achieve once they are in kindergarten. This book also allows children to reflect on their experience on the first day of kindergarten, and how they can help their friends who are transiting students.
Lauren
Dexter Dugan is about to start kindergarten. His sister Jessie is telling him everything he can expect. Dexter's dog Rufus is a little bit scared of starting kindergarten though. Dexter is enjoying his first day of kindergarten until he notices that Rufus is lost!Rufus was waiting in the toy bin at school and will stay at home now.

Good to use for first day of school in Pre-K through 1st grade.
Kristin Beachy

This is a cute book about a little boy named Dexter who is scared for his first day of Kindergarten. This hits on all the main points that may be of concern to a child who is going to be going into kindergarten. His mature sister walks him through the first day worries and calms his fears with all her rational answers. It is a story that children of this age can all relate to.
Carly Brown
My Nomination for Megan's Award

Level: Early

Topic: Getting ready for Kindergarten

Curricular Use: Shared Reading

Social: School Friends, Getting ready for school, Sister and brother relationships, school fears

Literary Elements: Dialogue, rhyming, dynamic character

Strong Connection between pictures and text
  • Look Out Kindergarten, Here I Come
  • Sea Monster's First Day
  • Kindergarten Diary
  • The Gingerbread Man Loose in the School
  • Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten
  • Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten?
  • The Night Before Kindergarten
  • Substitute Creacher
  • Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten!
  • Bullies Never Win
  • When a Dragon Moves In
  • What To Do If an Elephant Stands On Your Foot
  • Rap A Tap Tap
  • Back to School, Splat!
Katie Davis has written and/or illustrated 10 books for children, and two marketing guides for writers.

Katie’s a "writerpreneur," a writer in business helping other writers. She does this through her newsletter, products, and #1 podcast, Brain Burps About Books.

After winning the School Library Journal Trailee Award, Katie launched Video Idiot Boot Camp: For People Who Think Videos Are Hard To Crea
More about Katie Davis...
Who Hops? Who Hoots? The Curse of Addy McMahon Dancing With The Devil Mabel the Tooth Fairy and How She Got Her Job