Start by marking “Line of Succession: A Thriller” as Want to Read:
Line of Succession: A Thriller

Line of Succession: A Thriller (Blake Carver Thrillers #1)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  21 reviews
As Congress leaves for its annual summer recess, the nation is rocked by a series of high-level assassinations so devastating that the magnitude is hidden from public view. With the Federal Government in disarray, counter-terrorism agent Blake Carver begins piecing together an ominous set of clues that predate the assassinations: a murdered soldier, encrypted cell phone tr ...more
Nook, 498 pages
Published October 10th 2010 by Massive Publishing (first published July 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Line of Succession, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Line of Succession

Jedidiah
OK, after a year of "heavy" reading, I decided to do a year of guilty pleasure books and have been devouring books in the spy/war/political thriller categories over the past 13 or so months. Read some by Tom Clancy, 3 Daniel Silva, 2 Forsyth, 3 Brad Thor, half of Vince Flynn's bibliography, 2 Robert Ludlum and a few lesser or newer authors like Joel C Rosenberg and Andrew Britton and Steven Gore. So far Line of Succession ranks 4th out of those 31 books. I may adjust that number after I reflect ...more
T.W. Barton
What a great unexpected thriller. I bought this book but had not read it for awhile and forgot what drew me to it.

This was one of those rare books that I could not put down. I recommend this is any action/thriller readers out there.

The only two criticisms I can give are that there were a few times that a character had important information for another character and they never say anything which seems really odd and the other is that some times an author creates an incident so large that when the
Gwen
It's a complex spy thriller with lots of fast-paced twists and turns. It begins on a military base with a soldier barely out of training camp directed to drive a vehicle loaded with Stinger missiles off base in the middle of the night. Once he gets to his location, he's assassinated by one of the coolest villains I have ever read in suspense thrillers - this guy is a killing machine who is employed by a private security firm that is a little like an evil version, or I should say a MORE evil vers ...more
Ken Rossignol
While anyone familiar with the people who actually serve in our military, the reactionary way they are portrayed in this book is REALLY fictional, but once you accept that premise, get over it and enjoy this book. It truly is a good read, the author did a lot of work pinning down the locations in good detail. One point to modify might be the scene where the Sec Def is out on his fishing boat in the Chesapeake attempting to hook into a White Marlin. While there are no fences on the Bay to restric ...more
Paul
Tyree really puts a lot into this story that runs the gamut from political thriller to military coup to high powered action. Even after setting it aside for a couple weeks there was little problem picking back up with the plot. A lot of twists to the story which made it entertaining but with so many characters involved it added perhaps a bit too much complexity. Overall, a rather good read with plenty of excitement, some "oh man" moments, and an entertaining storyline. The only disappointment wa ...more
Betty
Entertaining political thriller posing an unfortunately realistic scenario of a US military coup. Shoddy proofreading in the final third of the book cost it a star. Homonym errors are especially grating, even when amusing. As an example, unless the bindings are quacking, wrists are never "duck-taped" together, nor is anyone ever kept on loose reigns.
Thom
This one is about what might happen if a group of Generals decided to overthrow the government and make it look like a terror attack. It comes like a bat out of hell right out of the first chapter and you get the feeling that this writer cares about every sentence as much as he cares about the plot. It's a good one.
Melissa
I was disappointed in this book. On the surface it was an interesting story. I didn't like the abrupt ending and I didn't think the story really got deep enough into the issue of water shortage that is what instigated the events in the book. I don't know, something was just not quite there for me.
Anandh Sundar
As the blurb mentions, the plot is quite original and frighteningly realistic. While the themes of meglamania and the industry-military complex are not new, the way they have been used in the book is certainly new. For anyone who likes a fast paced original action thriller, look no further than this one.
Maya Daniels
It's a great political/spy thriller with lots of surprises. There are lots of characters and lots of action in the first third of the book, but by the time I got there I couldn't put it down. Agent Carver is a great hero - I hope to see him back in another book.
Luke W
I was hooked early. For a bit I thought maybe it was heading down the typical Islamist plot route that so many of these books seem to, but then I was rewarded for my patience with one of the best action books I have ever read. Highly recommended.
Dwight
Made for TV with an obvious ending but kept me entertained for a few days just the same. Plot is fairly simple, characters are not badly developed. The only thing i didn't like was the cliff-hanger at the end, leading to the next book.
Richard
A little far-fetched for my liking, but well written. A very busy book with many things going on. If you can just roll with all of the crazy way out there plot lines you will love it.
Chilton
Really good plot...if you ever thought that a coup was impossible in the U.S., Mr Tyree makes it seem not only possible but far too easy. Great, fun summer thriller.
Daniel Bustos
A decent plot just on the edge of reality, a protagonist that is entirely believable (not Arnold Schwarzenegger meets MacGyver) and decent plot weaving.
Oma
A political thriller that could happen in the US. Some of the characters seemed cartoonish, mostly the "bad guys" but it held my interest for the most part.
LA Jackson
Better than I thought it would be. Good plot, kept my interest. I'd read other work by this author.
Ryan Rauber
Plausible plot of a military coup within the US. Over the top ending, but enjoyable read.
Ben Belchak
Boring story, wooden one-dimensional characters, predictable plot. Zzzzzzzz
Colin
Incredible book!
Mike Polen
Mike Polen marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Asteropê
Asteropê marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
hunter
hunter marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Off The Clock (Jonathan Quinn #4.5)
  • Threat Warning (Jonathan Grave, #3)
  • The Devil's Pitchfork (Derek Stillwater, #1)
  • Darkness of This World (Wrath & Righteousness, #2)
  • National Security (Jericho Quinn, #1)
  • Allah's Scorpion
  • King of Swords (Assassin #1)
  • PRIMAL Origin (PRIMAL, #1)
  • Hostile Intent (Devlin, #1)
  • A Touch of Deceit
  • Trojan Horse
  • The Perfect Assassin (David Slaton, #1)
  • Bronx Justice (Jaywalker, #2)
William Tyree is the author of the novels The Fellowship and Line of Succession, as well as dozens of short stories and articles appearing in Harvard Review, the Atlantic, the Japan Times and elsewhere.

Raised in Arizona, he taught at Northern Arizona University and Tokyo's Asia University before deciding to immerse himself in technology. He then learned to code and launched a tech startup before
More about William Tyree...

Blake Carver Thrillers (2 books)
  • The Fellowship: A Thriller (Blake Carver Thrillers, #2)
The Fellowship: A Thriller (Blake Carver Thrillers, #2) Line of Succession: A Thriller