McDuff Moves In

McDuff Moves In (McDuff)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  252 ratings  ·  31 reviews
One rainy night, a little white dog needed something to eat and a place to sleep. He went looking and found something he didn't expect--a home.
Published 1997 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about McDuff Moves In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about McDuff Moves In

Dart and the Squirrels by Nicole IzmaylovClifford the Big Red Dog by Norman BridwellMay the Best Dog Win by Kelly HashwayFetch by Adam Glendon SidwellGood Dog, Carl by Alexandra Day
Best Picture Books About Dogs
24th out of 66 books — 95 voters
Go, Dog. Go! by P.D. EastmanClifford the Big Red Dog by Norman BridwellHarry the Dirty Dog by Gene ZionGood Dog, Carl by Alexandra DayFetch by Adam Glendon Sidwell
Picture Books About Dogs
78th out of 205 books — 80 voters

More lists with this book...

Amy
Oh, I thought this was just a sweet story. It's not anything original, and it's totally predictable, and it is absolutely standard Disney-esque children's literature fare, but I don't know, it tugged on my heartstrings. That said, the kids weren't overly impressed. Not even an "Awww," or a "Poor little doggie" out of them. I guess they are more sophisticated than I am, and don't dole out emotion or praise on plot lines that they've heard a hundred times before. Still, the dog was cute!
Heather
My boys adored this book and the illustrations are fantastic (especially if you love little dogs). We read this many, many times before taking it back to the library. It's not stellar literature, but it's cute and sweet. The first time we read it my 5-year-old teared up because he was so worried McDuff wouldn't find a home and "every pet needs a home, mom". After that initial worry he loved hearing the story over and over - I think because he loved the happy ending.
Leila
I have to give this picture book five stars on two counts: the wonderful illustrations and the thoroughly delightful character of McDuff, a West Highland terrier who will steal your heart. If you don't like him, it simply means that your heart is already missing in action.

The human couple in this story are nice young people, but they can't hold a candle to the dog. Warning: your kids will start to beg for a little white terrier....
Cheryl in CC NV
My second attempt to figure out the popularity of this series. Sorry, not happening. Too simplistic; not at all meaningful or significant in any way.
Inder
Feb 11, 2009 Inder rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Inder by: Rebecca
Shelves: childrens, dogs
Argh, the cuteness!
Robert Beveridge
Rosemary Wells, McDuff Moves In (Hyperion, 1999)

I posted a ways back about two of the McDuff books and how I wasn't too thrilled with them. Why, you will probably be asking, did I read more of them? Well, I review things out of order; all four of them showed up at Goat Central at the same time, and we read all four over the course of two nights, and the bean didn't hate them, really, so I kept going. (Which also explains why I posted about books later in the series before this one; sorry for the...more
Liliana Escamilla
This book is the story about how the responsibility of the dog can happen when you least expect it and how responsibility can be learned at any time.

Students should learn how to adapt to things when they least expect it and by using McDuff it can help them with knowing that things can happen when you least expect it.

To be able to teach the students this concept you can change up the schedule of the way you all do things in the classroom, so that they can be able to adapt to change.
Patty
Illustrator: Susan Jeffers
Age: 4-8
Summary: A little dog is thrown off of the pound truck and has nowhere to go, he finally finds a couple who wants to take him into their home and their family.
Applications/Uses: Entertainment, talking about animals finding homes, if a student just gets a new pet it could be a fun book to have on the shelf for that student to read at their leisure.
Themes/Connections: Finding a home, family
Awards: None
Karly Kovac
I remember this book from when I was a kid. I think the pictures are great! There is tons of detail and description which would catch the child's attention. I also think the story line is really cute and since it is about a little puppy it would certainly keep the children's attention. A lot of kids like dogs and since this story is based around a puppy it would keep them interested. I thought this was a cute book.
Dolly
Nov 02, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet tale that shows how McDuff comes to live at the house at 7 Elm Street with Fred and Lucy. The narrative is poignant and the illustrations help to convey the timeframe of the story, 1930s England. We really enjoyed reading this story together.

We've read several books featuring McDuff and will likely look for more at our local library.
Jennie Park
Feb 01, 2011 Jennie Park added it
Shelves: fiction
This is a very easy read for beginners. It is a short story about a dog who escaped from the pound and is looking for a loving home. I would recommend this book for independent reading for kindergarten and first grade (maybe pre-kindergarten if they are advanced)I think students will enjoy it because many of them will have pets or have always wanted one.
Pam
Enduring tale of a stray pup to start off a great series.One of my all-time favorite children's book series. The artwork is fantastic and truly captures the expressions of small terriers perfectly. Rosemary Wells writes wonderful expressive stories. Perfectly captures the personality of West Highland White terriers.
Mary
McDuff is a poor little puppy that nobody wants...until he finds a family who does want to keep him! This is a good story about acceptance and love and that just because one person doesn't love you, doesn't mean that nobody will.

The text is small, but kids can feel for the puppy who is lonely.
Edna
If I can give this book ten stars, I would =) Well, I may be biased because I love Westies, the breed of dog McDuff is! The story is something close to my heart because we own a Westie. This book about how little McDuff finds a home will surely win you over.
The McDuff books should be in the library of all animal/dog loving children, especially those with Westies! Anyone with a Westie will relate very well to these cute stories.
Kim Miller
This is a nicely done picture book. The story is sad, but gives a happy ending. This is an pretty easy read, and could be used to talk about the dog pound.
Yarb
Nov 03, 2008 Yarb rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Bog-standard cute-dog-finds-a-home tale. Rather a lot of bland messing around and a total lack of drama, but nonetheless my daughter liked it.
Christy
Mama Adventure
Cute story about a dog who finds a home. We have 2 pound pups so my 3yo son really loves it. The dogs like it too, or do he tells me.
Bree
Notes:
such cute illustrations
writing is too choppy so we change it to make sentences flow better
Patricia
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
The dog pound dropped Mc Duff out of the truck. He went to Lucky & Fred's door, they kept him. A.R.
Kasia
McDuff books are cute and very appropriate for 1st graders. Great holiday/themed books.
Debra
McDuff in unwanted
He is adopted by family
Nice read aloud for younger audience
Kelli
Sniff. Needy, lost dog. Kind-hearted people. What's not to like?
Claire
This is a cute book. My kids really liked the illustration.
Alexandria
Gina Nielsen
I love the illustrations in this children's book.
Brent
We loved the series of McDuff books...
Tracey
  • Move Over, Rover!
  • On Meadowview Street
  • Apple Pie ABC
  • Say What?

Rosemary Wells is the author of a number of popular children's books, most notably the Max and Ruby series which follows the everyday adventures of sibling bunnies - curious three year old Max and bossy seven year old Ruby. She gets the inspiration for Max and Ruby from her two daughters and the experiences they...more
More about Rosemary Wells...
Bunny Cakes Noisy Nora Yoko On the Blue Comet Red Moon at Sharpsburg