Start by marking “Meet Samantha: An American Girl” as Want to Read:
Meet Samantha: An American Girl

Meet Samantha: An American Girl (American Girls: Samantha #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  10,239 ratings  ·  175 reviews
The books in this collection tell the stories of six American girls who lived long ago:
Published September 1st 1986 by Perfection Learning (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Meet Samantha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meet Samantha

Kelsey
For Christmas one year, I opened a big, rectangular box to find a beautiful doll with brown, wavy hair, brown eyes and a cute plaid dress. Everyone said we looked alike and I didn't disagree. American Girl dolls were all the hype when I was little. When I got Samantha from my grandparents one year, I took her everywhere with me. I began collecting clothes for her, furniture items and I, of course had to get her adorable puppy Jip to keep her company.
Each of the American Girl dolls come with a s
Josiah
The Pleasant Company has done a great job through all of its American Girl stories and products in helping to make history interesting for kids in a variety of different ways, while making it a priority to address their contemporary concerns as well. All of the American Girl dolls have a finely tuned background, family history and unique niche in the timeline of our nation's past, and the books about them marvelously capture what makes everything about their historical narratives so special.

Sa
Littlevision
The last time I read this, I was unable to see the subtleties of the characters. I was unable to read between the lines.

Now I am a dignified woman of eighteen and the atrocities contained within this book are extremely alarming to me.

The story begins with Samantha falling out of a tree, the little uncoordinated waif that she is. Little does the reader know that Samantha ends up to be a crack whore in the last book. She is always falling out of trees, out of relationships, out of addiction. This
Crystal Lough
Meet Samantha is one book in the Americal Girls series. The book is targeted towards intermediate children. The book takes you essentially through Samantha's life. It begins when she was just a little girl. She was raised by her elder grandmother as her guardian. She lived in a time, 1904, where being a "lady" was a very valued concept. For example, one day while playing outside, Samantha was teased and bullied by a little boy. She ran home to tell her housekeeper and the house keeper simply sai ...more
April
It was delightful to revisit this book. I must have read it about a dozen times as a child. I remember being struck by the illustrations and just lost in the stories. I think it helped that I had the Samantha doll. But I think I liked imagining her more as a friend in the story than as a doll that I cared for.

I hope Children's Lit doesn't say something horrible about this series because I might get a little miffed. I think this book did a great job challenging the racial and gender stereotypes
Sarah Pfingston
As a young girl I actually had an American Girl Doll, so this promoted me to want to read the collection. I remember reading this series as a young girl and I remember thinking the books were too long and never finishing them. When I reread this book I loved it. I thought that the lessons are wonderful for young girls. Even though the only negative I think the students today would have with this story is that it is set in 1904, which may appeal to them as boring. Nine year old Samantha is an orp ...more
Ruby Rose Scarlett
Really excellent with a very socially conscious plot dealing with poverty, child labour, racial segregation and the women suffrage campaign. The illustrations are beautiful too and I love the ethos behind American Girl, 'American Girl celebrates a girl's inner star - that little whisper that encourages her to stand tall, reach high and dream big. We take pride and care in helping girls become their very best today, so they'll grow up to be the women who make a difference tomorrow.'
Tijona
I think this was the first American Girl book I ever read. I enjoyed picking this one up again! I love how Samantah is very active, has a hard time settling down and being ladylike. I love how she has to practice piano, an hour seems like such a long time when you are 9! I also love how she has such an intese love for people, and also has compassion for those around her. Her friend Nellie just breaks my heart, and I think it is because I know there were lots of families like Nellie's who had to ...more
Ashley Campbell
Meet Samantha: An American Girl was a true blast from the past for me! I found my original copy of this book at my mother's house and enjoyed every minute of bringing back memories.
Meet Samantha is the first of the Samantha, American Girl series. This book introduces Samantha as a nine year old girl living in the 1920's. This book illustrates Samantha's everyday life and the trails she faces as a girl learning how to grow up in the 1920's.
I believe these books are extremely beneficial for chil
Jessica
I'm reading some series I loved as a child this year. I started with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory & Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator.

I remember devouring these books when they came out. I'd hound the library for them. This was waaay before the dolls where a thing. I vaguely remember a pull-out send-in card in the back of one of the books, but never bothered.

They hold up well. I have 5 more to go for this Girl and then I think I'm going to read Molly next. I think she was one of my
Miss Clark
Samantha, while not my favorite, was interesting. She is also the wealthiest of all the AG, which gives her a very different outlook and lifestyle. While Josefina, Caroline and Kaya work hard to help their families survive day-to-day, and Felicity and Kit help their families and pursue their interests, Samantha has a very different way of learning. She has lots of personality, but less personal integrity and concern with living a worthy life than many of the other girls. Very much so a product o ...more
Ashley
All throughout this book, I kept wondering what was so interesting about this time (1904)in American history, but when the book ended, I realized there are going to be lot of working class and women's issues brought up in this series. Abby really liked the developing friendship between Samantha and the neighbor's servant Nellie. And the historical section had a lot of information about servants and how hard their lives were. Samantha is also expected to behave like a "proper" young lady and Abby ...more
Abbey Pace
In the early 1900's, Samantha is a young girl who is being raised by her wealthy and stern grandmother named, Grandmary. She was only five year old when her parents died in a tragic accident. Samantha doesn't have anyone to play with around the house, but loves going to her grandmother's seamstress, Jessie, for advice and repairs. As the story unfolds she finds a herself becoming good friends with a girl named Nellie. From their time spent together, Samantha soon sees how different her life is f ...more
John Doe
Jul 23, 2013 John Doe marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Remember me? I don't know how to reach you.

I hear that you spoke to R. a few times. He says he is worried about you, but that he doesn't know how to help. I feel that way too.

I can listen.

I am still your friend.

I know you have had some hard times, but remember that you still have friends and people here who care about you. When you left, K. was really worried. L.too. And, R. was a mess.

With absurd amounts of platonic love,

Your friend
Sami Wilson
Meet Samantha: An American Girl was one of my favorite books when I was a child. I loved this book because we had the same name and I always wanted an american girl and to be an american girl. I thought that the story about Samantha was very relatable and I think that young girls will feel the same way when they read the story. I liked that Samantha met a young girl who was different from her yet never let that stop them from being friends. It tells your girls that it doesn't matter what someone ...more
Sharon
Samantha Parkington an orphan lives a privileged life with her Grandmary in a luxurious home in 1904. She is expected to be a proper young Victorian lady who practices piano and works samplers. But Samantha doesn't quite fit the profile.

Samantha meets Nellie who works as a servant for the Ryland family and the two nine-year-olds become good friends. Samantha soon realizes that Nellie's circumstances are quite a contrast to her own elegant life.

Meet Samantha is the first book in the Samantha seri
Luisa
My little one and I had a fun time reading this and the illustrations were amazing. The story was very descriptive, thought provoking, and relatable for little ones.

Samantha's situation in life and character is clearly introduced in the story. At nine years old, she's young and naive about somethings, but very caring about her friends and family and is not afraid to act on that.

We really enjoyed reading this and learning a little more about life in 1904. I would recommend this to children ages 6
Brittany Perry
Meet Samantha: An American Girl by Alder, S.

Summary

Meet Samantha is based in 1904, and is about a nine year old girl who lives with her grandmother. Samantha’s parents passed away when she was young, but her Grandmary takes good care of her. She tires to teach Samantha how to be proper, but Samantha always finds a way to get messy. Jessie, Samantha’s seamstress, is always fixing her torn clothing. One day Samantha meets a new friend Nellie, and she shows her a new doll named Lydia. Samantha lov
Jenica
Summary:
Samantha is a nine year old girl growing up in a wealthy family in the early 1900s. She lives with her grandmother because her parents passed away. There is a boy next door who likes to tease her relentlessly, and Samantha gives it right back to him. She is very much a tom-boy but tries very hard to be a lady. The boy's family hires a girl named Nellie Samantha's age and they become quick friends until Nellie is forced to go back to her house. One of the workers in Samantha's house also
Charolette
The illustations in this book are your classic Victorian style and fit the timeframe of the book perfectly. Samantha goes to live with her weathly grandmother who does not believe that young ladies should get dirty or work. The grandmother thinks she should learn to play the piano and sew her sampler. Samantha was very active and enjoyed playing. She was also very intelligent and was able to read between the lines when her grandmother would not explain why Jessie had to leave. Samantha was able ...more
Gale
VICTORIAN GIRL WITH A CONSCIENCE

The charming American Girls series introduces young readers
to five different protagonists of various ethnic backgrounds, from five eras in American history. Each heroine has 4-6 short books in her individual setting. Each book includes historical data and photographs which provide authentic details of that particular time frame.

Here we meet nine-year-old Samantha, a well-to-do Victorian miss in Turn-of-the-Century America. Pampered but restricted (in her speech,
Ashley Brooke
It is rare that two hobbies of mine collide, but that is exactly the case with 'Meet Samantha'. An avid doll collector, Samantha is one of my favorite American Girl dolls. Like many, I read this book series back in the early 90's when I was scrimping and saving my pennies for Pleasant Company's American Girl dolls. 2012, it seems, has been a year of re-reading for me, and I thought what better to re-read than Samantha's story?

Set in 1904, 'Meet Samantha' introduces us to 9 year old Samantha. Ric
Becky Keir Grace
I admit I never read these as a child, so I thought I would pick them up now. I am glad I did! Samantha always sounded fascinating, and I enjoyed reading her story.

1904 - Samantha is a 9 year old orphan living with her wealthy grandmother. Although she has money, she is not spoiled or selfish. Her grandmother teaches her values in life. Her grandmother, Grandmary, as Samantha refers to her, is loving and a proper lady for the time. Samantha has a bit of a mischievous side to her, trying to climb
Sam Driscoll
Set in 1904, a nine-year-old orphan named Samantha meets a new friend, Nellie, and they go on a midnight adventure together.

One of the only reasons why I loved this book as a kid is because I had just gotten the Samantha American Doll and when I got the book I was so excited to read it. Reading a book about a girl with the same name as me and someone who I thought looked like me gave me an immediate connection to the character and turned a simple story into one I’ll never forget.
Kim
This is a great historical fiction novel for upper elementary. Samantha is part of the American Girls doll and story collection. Samantha learns that everybody does not live the same lifestyle. Sometimes life is MUCH harder for others. She tries to help one of her friends. There is a short movie that tells this same story. My nieces each had an American Girl doll. I am guessing I read this to one of them in the 80's.
Laura Hughes
I loved this book as a child, although now the only parts that I can remember reading are the weird tiny details, like how Samantha watches ants crawl on an old pastry.

The strength of this book, and the American Girl series as a whole, is the inclusion of detail about historical day-to-day life that makes history come alive for young readers. The weakness of this book, and the American Girl series as a whole, is that they books are so darn short, they're over before they've begun. I guess that'
Queen Susan the Gentle
Samantha Parkington is a 9 year old girl growing up in 1904, in Mount Bedford, NY. She trys very hard to be a young lady, and trys to outsmart the next door nuisance, Eddie Ryland. Samantha learns that there is a girl her age staying at the Rylands. She is surprised to learn that the girl, Nellie O'malley is working there. Nellie used to live in the city working in a factory. Now she was in the country. The two girls instantly became friends.

Later on, the seamstress, Jessie who worked at Samanth
Marya
Sadly, while I loved this as a kid, it didn't resonate with my little one. Also, the concept of child labor REALLY freaked out my little one. Seriously, it was considered as awful as Kirsten's best friend getting killed by cholera.
Annie
I liked the American Girl books because I had The American Girl doll, Samantha. It's interesting to see all the different girls' cultures and the books open young girls' eyes to different lifestyles.
Amanda Caldwell
My little sister LOVED this book. This her second American Girl book, the first we read was Saige. The only thing I wish was different in the book, is I wish they would say where Samantha lives. If I recall correctly all the other American Girls are set in certain states, but with Samantha the only mention of a place is that Jessie's husband goes on a boat to New Orleans and brings home treats. I think there might have been mention of the Mississippi River? But, that doesn't tell much since ther ...more
Time period 6 28 Jun 07, 2014 09:25PM
  • Samantha Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Samantha, #5)
  • Samantha's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Samantha, #3)
  • Happy Birthday, Kirsten: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #4)
  • Addy Learns a Lesson: A School Story (An American Girl: Addy #2)

American Girls: Samantha (6 books)
  • Samantha Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Samantha, #2)
  • Samantha's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Samantha, #3)
  • Happy Birthday Samantha!: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Samantha, #4)
  • Samantha Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Samantha, #5)
  • Changes for Samantha: A Winter Story (American Girls: Samantha, #6)
Samantha Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Samantha, #2) Samantha's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set) Samantha Learns a Lesson (American Girl (Quality)) American Girls Collection Samantha and Nellie Books and Magnetic Mini World (Meet Samantha, Nellie's Promise, Samantha's Magnetic Mini World, Trading Cards, Samantha Bookmark) (American Girl)