Start by marking “El Correr Chi” as Want to Read:
El Correr Chi

El Correr Chi

3.7  ·  Rating Details ·  5,674 Ratings  ·  436 Reviews
En El correr Chi se presenta una nueva tecnica de carrera que se basa en disciplinas como el yoga, Pilates y el tai-chi y, con la que se consigue aumentar la velocidad, reducir el esfuerzo y prevenir lesiones. Este libro es una referencia para los corredores de todos los niveles y edades; la edicion en ingles es un best seller. El autor explica paso a paso los principios d ...more
Paperback
Published by Paidotribo Editorial (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about El Correr Chi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El Correr Chi

trivialchemy
Jan 17, 2009 trivialchemy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fitness
I'm reading this as a counterpoint to Dr. Nicholas Romanov's Pose Method of Running.

---

Imagine that you have invented a device which has two functions:

1. It selectively weakens one part of the human anatomy.
2. Whatever part that the device weakens, it also allows to function in its weakened state.

For example, this might be a sort of earpiece that gradually causes you to go deaf; however, so long as you continue to wear the earpiece, you maintain your faculties of hearing.

Obviously, no one would
Robin Ripley
Jun 15, 2010 Robin Ripley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fitness
I have always said I am not a natural runner--although I still try to run. But in just two weeks I feel like I may actually be able to run long distances someday.

Two mistakes I was making I was able to correct right away--breathing properly (longer counts using my nose and not my mouth) and shortening my pace. I will continue to experiment with the "lean." It seems a little strange to me, but I will say that this morning's run seemed a bit of a breakthrough in that regard. I think I may get it
Lauren
Jun 30, 2011 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite many shortcomings (including a ridiculous name), the information on running form and technique make it something special. I’ve been toying around with some of the suggestions for three weeks now, and I’ll fully admit the Dreyers hit on something important with this method. As a minimalist running convert, I’d even go so far as to say this book provided me with the missing piece I’ve needed to fully hit my stride. So two thumbs way up for the information, which I think would benefit the v ...more
Jennifer (Baker) McMillin
I hate to give this book such a bad rating because I think Dreyer is on to something here with injury prevention and running technique tips. BUT...I just can't get over the constant sales pitch and bad scientific method. Also the book is very repetitive and I could do without the first couple chapters. Overall, good info...bad storyteller.
Saraelizabeth
Apr 17, 2012 Saraelizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book because I had hit a 3 mile wall with running. I would be out of breath and in pain at that point. Now I know I was using my muscles inefficiently, taking too big of strides, and had bad form. Ha ha.
This book has helped me a lot so far. I see it taking years to really implement everything. I do feel a greater ability to run farther and with less pain already. I like how Dreyer suggests running to "practice running" for the sake of being a better runner rather than to get fit, or
John
Nov 24, 2012 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book itself is good not great. However, the impact it has on my running is nothing short of a miracle. I consider myself an amateur runner. At 39, I thought it was time to fulfill my bucket list item; run a marathon. I was under-trained when I ran a half marathon in May 2012. I ended up injuring myself and suffered IT Band syndrome throughout the summer. During that time I read Born To Run and was intrigued to learn more about minimal or barefoot running style. That journey led me to Chi Run ...more
Rachel Smalter Hall
As someone who started running moderately almost five years ago, I've been hungry for inspiration to take my training to the next level. Although I'm not that interested in running competitively or ultra-long distances, I'd been frustrated that my regular 5 - 10K runs still felt a little sluggish after all this time. I had a hunch that my self-taught form could could use a mega overhaul!

As I sought out titles on running--Bob Glover's The Runner's Handbook, Claire Kowalchik's The Complete Book of
Glenn Burnside
One of the people on my team at work loaned this to me because she knew I was trying to get back to running, and was struggling with a lot of tightness and soreness after my workouts. There's some good advice in this book, but it's interspersed with a LOT of success stories and bad scientific method. What I want from a guide like this is:
1)Why I'm telling you this stuff
2)What are the components to my program
3) Here is the program.

I think most of this book could have been boiled down to about 4 b
Laura Ilkiw
Apr 20, 2017 Laura Ilkiw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lost a star because of how repetitive the book is, although I do think that will help hammer some of his major points. Dreyer's method is easy to understand, and I have already seen slight improvements in my running technique. A great manual for any runner to have.
This book is not going to win any writing awards. Dreyer writes poorly, repeats himself, and has many poor metaphors and jokes. At times I found the book slightly painful to read, and had a hard time plowing through the chapters. Sometimes the book comes off as a commercial cult or pyramid scheme. He is constantly mentioning the website, his classes, other books, etc, etc.

But the information in the book is incredibly helpful. Dreyer gives advice on how to run with physical suggestions and metaph
Lauren
Aug 30, 2010 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will definitely be re-reading this one. In fact, in the first chapter (or maybe the introduction?) he advises the reader to read it all the way through first, then go back and consult it for instruction on applying the technique, the form focuses, and all of the other principles of ChiRunning. I like the method for its troubleshooting-type approach: right technique is a process, not an achievement, so whenever something isn't working, or whenever an injury or a problem surfaces, consult your f ...more
Bryan
A very informative book, one which you shouldn't just read from cover to cover and think "Wow, what awesome insights!" and then leave it in a bookshelf to collect dust. There is so much shared wisdom in here, so much to be learned and ingrained, that I feel it would do the novice or seasoned runner well to refer back to it once in a while.

In his friendly and conversant style, Danny Dreyer passes on sage advice to get the runner on track (no pun intended--although it might have a funny ring to it
Vinit Nayak
Jan 03, 2015 Vinit Nayak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I suppose I didn't technically finish this book since the last bit is a running plan which lays out how you should be going about applying all of the lessons taught in the earlier chapters.

I kind of just added each lesson into my running plan, applying a new technique every week or two and then proceeding to the next one once it felt like second-nature.

And it worked! I started reading this book because I started having really bad "runner's knee" injuries to where I couldn't run at all anymore an
Paul
Sep 09, 2008 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: running
This book presents a unique running philosophy with the purpose of conserving energy or "chi". The main points are to keep your body in column, lean forward from your ankles like a ski jumper, and to lift your feet and move them and your arms in a forward, circular "Wile E. Coyote/Road Runner" style. There is also some information on pacing and breathing. I've tried some of the techniques and have not felt comfortable with them, yet. There are several keys to remember and focus on during a run. ...more
Peter
Sep 10, 2015 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book, which explains how you can run in harmony with your body, and with nature. A major point of this book, which I found quite odd once I thought about it is that very few of us who are joggers were ever taught how to run. Danny Dreyer describes the importance of poster and flow in running, and busts the myth that we have to stop running after we are 50-something once our knees wear out. I have gifted this book to about 6-7 good friends who are runners and often also include ...more
Jane Lebak
Jun 30, 2015 Jane Lebak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did a read-through with a couple of runs while still reading. I haven't done any of the exercises, but I did try some of his techniques while running. The book is, to be honest, overwhelming in the sheer number of corrections, but I also think he's dead-on with his suggestions. I'm going to have to work a bit more with this and revisit parts of the book. Fortunately there are several Youtube videos I can check out, so I won't be paying for the DVD. ;-) Well worth a read and some experimental r ...more
Chris
Dec 09, 2010 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: running
Have to come back to this one -- it was much more technical than I expected, so having it for a week from the library meant I could actually put it into real practice. I'm trying some of the techniques out (the lean, midfoot-striking), especially because I'm interested in bare-foot running and am trying to get more milage in on my Vibram Bilkas. I like what I tried, but would probably have to buy a copy to get any deeper.
Emlyn Lewis
Ideal book for beginner runners or medium/ Pro Runners with injury issues.
Been running intensely on & off for 20 years now without too much injury issues, so found the book mildly interesting. Most of the book states the obvious about running form, basically repeating don't run like a duck (for 50 pages).
However the mindful approach I found interesting as my mind either concentrates on music in my head phones or meditating at anything other than what is happening here & now in my body.
Kipahni
Jan 29, 2008 Kipahni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Make your work day a moving meditation"- a quote from the book.
This book has some amazing tips on how to run the most effective and enjoyable way. Since implementing the chi form of running I have been able to run longer distance and add more endurance. The only down side is that I wished it came with a DVD so that one could see the form in action.
Elizabeth
Feb 23, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always avoided running, but have wanted to figure out how I could 'run and not be weary'. When I realized that I was holding my breath it was like a light bulb went on "hey, maybe I can run!" I don't run far or fast, but I feel that because of the tips in this book I am learning to run and enjoy the experience.
Paul Westwood
Nov 18, 2015 Paul Westwood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
Another one I didn't review at the time of reading but I can say this running style made my half marathon time 11 minutes quicker so it definitely works.
Some of the early sections were a bit dull because I just wanted to learn how to run differently and I never finished the later chapters because I'd learnt what I wanted by then but maybe that's more my fault than the writer's.
Rebecca Rose
Dec 18, 2011 Rebecca Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this book! I feel like it gave me a lot of good advice on how to turn running into something I "practice" and has really helped me come to love running. That is something I NEVER thought would happen. The only downside is I'm going to have to read the book 1000 times to get everything out of it.
Danny
Jun 09, 2016 Danny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chi Running was a reminder to stop, listen to your breath, check in with your form, and run intentionally, not destructively. I actually listened to this via the audio book version and have tried incorporating aspects of chi running in to my daily runs since.
Jared
Feb 03, 2013 Jared rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Learn to love running!!
Ben Wenzel
Jul 12, 2009 Ben Wenzel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a combination of eastern philosophy with biomechanics. All I can say is that this book has allowed me to be a 275lb man running nearly every day pain-free. I'm a fan of chi running.
David Krohse
Mar 15, 2016 David Krohse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book instantly got rid of terrible shin splints, and turned me into a runner. It's not especially well written in my memory of it but the information was priceless for me.
Jeremy Fulwiler
May 17, 2017 Jeremy Fulwiler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can now safely run, injury-free, in large part because of this book. After nearly 20 years of problematic running efforts, I'm now three years into safe and enjoyable running - ever since reading this.
Sophia 여정화
when my understanding level on Tai Chi is pretty low, I had hard time implementing the movement sequel as the author instructed. the leg part was the hardest to follow. I am also quite slow in learning. I guess I will have to join a club or something to practice properly.
Steve
Nov 28, 2016 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, as PE teacher we didn't learn anything about running, I wish I knew this stuff years ago.
Lisa
Jan 26, 2017 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had some great insights. I was having knee pain when I ran, but when I used his posture suggestions the pain went away. It takes quite a bit of mental effort to put his philosophies into practice before they become natural. But if running is something you really want to be able to do then it's all worth it.
Are you a runner? 2 34 Jan 22, 2014 06:55AM
  • Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster: Become a Faster, Stronger Runner with the Revolutionary FIRST Training Program
  • Brain Training For Runners: A Revolutionary New Training System to Improve Endurance, Speed, Health, and Results
  • The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer
  • Running for Mortals: A Commonsense Plan for Changing Your Life With Running
  • Pose Method of Running (Dr. Romanov's Sport Education)
  • Lore of Running
  • The Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life: What 35 Years of Running Have Taught Me About Winning, Losing, Happiness, Humility, and the Human Heart
  • Galloway's Book on Running
  • Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running: The Best Advice to Get Started, Stay Motivated, Lose Weight, Run Injury-Free, Be Safe, and Train for Any Distance
  • A Race Like No Other: 26.2 Miles Through the Streets of New York
  • The Complete Book of Running For Women
  • Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon: How to Be Your Own Best Coach
  • 50/50: Secrets I Learned Running 50 Marathons in 50 Days -- and How You Too Can Achieve Super Endurance!
  • Mile Markers: The 26.2 Most Important Reasons Why Women Run
  • Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes
  • Why We Run: A Natural History
  • The Triathlete's Training Bible
  • Marathon Woman: Running the Race to Revolutionize Women's Sports

“If you’re short of breath, it’s not because you aren’t breathing in enough—it’s because you’re not breathing out enough.” 2 likes
“does not hurt your body. It’s the way you run that does the damage and causes pain.” 1 likes