Start by marking “Ivy and Bean: What's the Big Idea? (Ivy and Bean, #7)” as Want to Read:
Ivy and Bean: What's the Big Idea? (Ivy and Bean, #7)

Ivy and Bean: What's the Big Idea? (Ivy & Bean #7)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  987 ratings  ·  61 reviews
It's the Science Fair, and the second grade is all over it! Some kids are making man-eating robots. Some kids are holding their breath for a very, very long time. Some kids are doing interesting things with vacuum cleaners. The theme, obviously, is global
Published July 1st 2010 by Chronicle Books LLC (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ivy and Bean, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ivy and Bean

Manny
Second-graders Ivy and Bean have to do a project on global warming for the Science Fair. All the other kids have cool ideas, and they can't think of anything.

I really liked the other kids' approaches. The bossy girl with the large number of younger siblings is going to make them hold their breath for fifteen minutes a day. (Less carbon dioxide, right?) The nerdy guy has made a battery out of a lime and proposes to run clean cars on lime-power. The violent kid is going to contruct a killer robot
Carmen
May 11, 2014 Carmen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents; Kids
Shelves: children, fiction
At first I was worried that this was going to be a message book, but it turned out to be a lot of fun.

Ivy and Bean are best friends. No one predicted this, since they are so different. Bean is small, dark, outspoken - a nature-lover and a practical joker. Ivy wears dresses and reads books. She has great ideas and knows big words.

The books opening chapter is amazing. It starts out with Bean getting kicked out of the house for "stapling things that weren't supposed to be stapled." Outside, Bean di
Cindy Hudson
Ivy and Bean are friends even though they are opposite in many ways. Bean is loud and rambunctious and full of crazy ideas. Ivy is quiet and thoughtful and often willing to help Bean try out some of her wild plans.

When they come together to work on a science project in Ivy + Bean: What’s the Big Idea, they are determined to find a solution for global warming.

I loved how the two girls started coming up with ideas for how they could help global warming without asking adults first whether their sol
L13 Tracy Beling
If you like the Ivy & Bean series, you will enjoy this one as well. This was 2011 Eleanor Cameron Award (Golden Duck for middle grades) finalist.

Ivy and Bean work together to come up with an idea for their school science fair. The theme for their second grade classroom is global warming. The book takes us through some of their ideas that don't work, and leads us to the fair where we finally learn what their project is and whether or not it is successful. What I like about this book is that
Ishta Mercurio
This was a fun read that tackles the question of what a little kid can do about a big problem like Global Warming in a really honest way. The Q&A section about Global Warming at the end was a super addition to this latest installment in a delightful series.
I can see why so many children and educators love Ivy and Bean! They are generally nice kids with a spirit of adventure. Barrows writes in a way that children will find authentic and realistic. Bean's older sister is mean in a way that is natural, annoying, and appropriate.

In What's the Big Idea, Ivy and Bean learn about global warming at school. The class decides that they want to fight global warming and presents a variety of ideas at the science fair. Most of their ideas are unrealistic or i
Sweet on Books
In the latest installment of this first-rate series, Ivy & Bean are learning about being "green". My favorite part of this series is the way the girls view how the adults see the world around them. The girls are always wondering: why can't the adults have any fun? Why do they like everything to be quiet? Why are they so tired all the time? There is a hilarious interchange between the girls and Ivy's mother, when the girls ask her to tie their hands together. She does so without blinking an e ...more
Irene
In my opinion, this book is one of the better ones, more in the league of Book 3 ("Break the Fossil Record") and Book 9 ("Make the Rules"), the other books in the series that I consider 3 1/2 stars.

I really like Ms. Aruba-Tate. She's such a great teacher. I loved the way she put words to the way the class was feeling (on page 33): "I'm hearing that you are very worried about global warming. I'm feeling sorry that you're worried, but I'm also feeling glad that you care so much about the earth."

T
nicole
Book 7 begins thusly: illustration of Bean standing, stapler in hand, before a large window. She peers upward, pleased by the crumpled mass of drapes hanging above her. "What are those little black lines all over the fabric?" you may wonder, as I did. The first paragraph succinctly answers that question: "There had been a problem in Bean's house. The problem was staples."

Ha.

Annie Barrows has yet to write an Ivy + Bean book that doesn't make me laugh on PAGE ONE. What's the Big Idea has all of t
Alice
3.5 Stars

I really like Ivy and Bean. What I like about them is creativity and problem solving (whether it is silly or not they are using their heads)

I am all for coming up with ways to stop polluting our planet like recycle, clean vehicle and factories etc, but I am not sold that "Global Warming" is a man made thing--I mean Cows need to poop and we aren't creating all the methane gas. My theory (though not important) is that the Earth Goes through changes, currently it is in a warmer phase...s
Joline Pruitt
My daughter and I love this series (she’s 8). They are so cute, well written, and practical. The characters represent normal children in a normal school setting. Sometimes they misbehave and sometimes they do amazing things; but they always accurately demonstrate emotions and fears about their lives that my daughter can relate to (a far cry from how Disney interprets childhood with a song and dance routine). I am impressed by how insightful the author is. I also love how she occasionally uses ch ...more
Books Kids Like
Bean's mom kicks her out of the house for stapling the curtains and other things together. She ends up watching ants in her backyard and imagining how it would be to be so small. Soon after this, a group of fifth graders share their views on global warning with Ms. Aruba-Tate's 2nd grade class. Ivy and Bean become very worried about their world's fate. The polar bears will die, the earth will become a desert, and it's all their fault! At least, that's what the fifth graders said! When their teac ...more
Hannah
I remember reading these when I was younger, they were some of my favorites. Ivy and Bean are two young girls with very creative ideas. This time, they had to come up with a science project that had to do with global warming. They tried many ideas, before finally settling on one in the end of the book.
Because I'm not of the suggested reading age for these books, they didn't completely gold my interest. The plots are simple, due to these being early chapter books. Still, it was cute. It is not my
Jackie
Ivy and Bean are your (not-so) typical wacky 2nd graders. When the 5th grade science students talk to their class about global warming and its effects, Ivy, Bean, and the rest of the 2nd graders are sad because the polar bears won't have anywhere to live (not to mention all of the other dastardly effects of problem).

Ivy and Bean swing into action, in the way only these two can, and try to come up with the best idea ever. Could it be collecting all the ice cubes in their houses and throwing them
Ariel
It's hard to find an interesting book on this reading level, which is why Annie Barrows is so much to be congratulated on this series. In this one, the two friends are desperately trying to figure out what to do for the science fair, which is about combating global warming. And lots of information does get imparted but not, amazingly, in a boring way at all! I especially love Bean.
Alma
Barrows, Annie & Sophie Blackall. Ivy & Bean, What’s the Big Idea. Scholastic. 2010. 128 pp. ISBN: 0811866920. Genre: Fiction, Series
Rating: 4.13 Stars. Ivy & Bean are best friends (and neighbors) and in the 2nd grade, and are trying to come up with a science fair project.

Summary: Ivy & Bean always seem to have fun and creative ways to try and solve situations they get themselves into. So why should their science fair project be any differen?

Main Characters: Ivy – Bean’s best f
Rachel
I thought it was really cute when the whole second grade got depressed about global warming.

I really like the character of their teacher, Ms. Aruba-Tate, but she kind of fell down on the job not giving them more guidance on their science fair projects. Get it together, Ms. Aruba-Tate.
Veronica Ruiz
I really enjoyed this book. It is very relatable for children grades second and third. This story has two young girls in science class trying to figure out how to win their science fair. their science fair is based off how to solve global warming. This book is really cute because it shows all of the creative ways they try to solve global. I really enjoyed the ways that were used to portray just how creative a second graders imagination is. The main characters end up winning the science fair with ...more
Steph
Not only was the book really cute, but it is also a great tool for talking about global warming and other environmental issues. It would be great for fans of Judy Moody but also for using as a base for discussion and exploration in science. Awesome!
Tara
I liked how hard Ivy and Bean tried to do the Science Fair. They had to come up with seven ideas until they got it. Once Bean sprayed water on the ant hole, the ants came flying out. That's another part I liked.
Emma
I liked the story because it was funny and cool.
Adreanna
i think it is a good book

Amelia
contains good ideas
Georgina
Shelli
In this adventure Ivy and Bean's second grade class is doing science fair projects on global warming. The creative ideas Ivy and Bean, and her class, had to stop global warming are funny. My personal favorite was making humans weaker so that the animals would feel stronger and possible eat the weak. Either that or the robot that would kill anyone who dropped litter on the ground.

This series is a wonderful read aloud collection for teachers and parents to share.
Jeff
This is from a humorous series of realistic fiction featuring a couple of precocious 2nd graders. In this volume they tackle global warming through their participation in a science fair. It is friendly and light without be inaccurate in the science. The solution the girls come up with at the end is pitch perfect and what will make want to read additional books in this series. In general, it is quirky, funny, but not a brilliant piece of literature by any stretch.
Amanda
This is an amazing book and an amazing series. If you are looking for a good series or book, try ivy+bean
Tara
My eight year really enjoys Ivy and Bean books. They are similar to the Junie B Jones books because they are ornery too. This paticular book is about a science fair project on global warming. This was a fun quick read.
Kimberly Caldwell
Realistic Fiction - 2010 I enjoy these two characters because I think they are not conventional and grab in some of my girl readers who struggle to find books they enjoy. In this story, Ivy and Bean set out to do a science fair entry about global warning - going about it in a new way! This text touches on global warming and includes some information in the back on the topic.
Mellodi Parks
So cute. I will not ruin the story or this one, but Barrows does it again. Stories like this remind me of childhood and how simple our minds work back then. this one is full of many laughs and a lesson or two as well. I love reading these as an adult reader and cannot wait to read the others. Read this one with the kiddos, or just for yourself too.
  • Clementine, Friend of the Week (Clementine, #4)
  • Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Super Sleuth
  • The Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Treasure Hunt (Judy Moody & Stink, #2)
  • Attack of the 50-Ft. Cupid (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #2)
  • Two for One (Bink & Gollie, #2)
  • Alvin Ho: Allergic to Dead Bodies, Funerals, and Other Fatal Circumstances (Alvin Ho, #4)
  • Frankly, Frannie (Frankly, Frannie #1)
  • Paige the Pantomime Fairy
  • Oh, Baby! (Katie Kazoo, Switcheroo, #3)
  • Just Grace and the Terrible Tutu (Just Grace, #6)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 6: True Things Adults Don't Want Kids to Know (Amelia Rules! #6)
  • Bad Kitty Meets the Baby
Annie grew up in Northern California, and graduated from the University of California at Berkeley, with a degree in Medieval History. Unable to find a job in the middle ages, she decided upon a career as an editor, eventually landing at Chronicle Books in San Francisco, where she was in charge of "all the books that nobody in their right mind would publish." After earning an M.F.A. in Creative Wri ...more
More about Annie Barrows...
Ivy and Bean (Ivy and Bean, #1) Ivy and Bean Break the Fossil Record (Ivy and Bean, #3) Ivy and Bean Take Care of the Babysitter (Ivy and Bean, #4) The Magic Half Ivy and Bean and the Ghost That Had to Go (Ivy and Bean, #2)

“There had been a problem in Bean's house. The problem was staples. Bean loved staples. She loved them so much that she had stapled things that weren't supposed to be stapled. The things looked better stapled, but her mother didn't think so, and now Bean was outside.

She was going to be outside for a long time.”
6 likes
“Bean decided to pay attention to what Ms. Aruba-Tate was saying. "Today, class, we are having a special science lesson." Science! Bean stopped thinking about Colorado. Science was usually dirt or fish, and Bean liked both of them.” 2 likes