Start by marking “Star Wars vs. Star Trek: Could the Empire Kick the Federation's Ass? and Other Galaxy-Shaking Enigmas” as Want to Read:

Could a Jedi knight use his light saber to deflect a beam from a phaser?
Which aliens are cooler: the Cardassians or the Chazrach?
Have any Federation ships ever made the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs?
And most important, in a fight between the Empire and the Federation, who would win?

Ever since Princess Leia's starship hovered into sight on the silver screen, fan
Published May 18th 2011 by Adams Media Corporation (first published April 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars vs. Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars vs. Star Trek

Eric
Jan 03, 2012 Eric rated it it was ok
Resist temptation, leave it on the shelf. The "facts" weren't checked well, and 90% of the "vs." scenarios fall flat in my humble opinion. Even the battle-royale at the end was less than amusing. I found myself finishing only out of some twisted OCD on not leaving a book unfinished.

This is a great concept... but terrible execution.
Mike McDevitt
May 31, 2011 Mike McDevitt rated it liked it
The trivia pages needed another pass by an editor, I think:
Page 2: The first captain of the Enterprise NCC-1701 is not Christopher Pyke (sic) but Robert April as per the episode 'The Counter-Clock Incident'
Page 131: The Enterprise E first appears in 'First Contact', not 'Nemesis'
Page 62: To the question 'Wesley Crusher was last officially seen...' the answer is supposedly 'B: Accompanying the Traveller to parts unknown' yet I JUST NOW saw Wes on DVD 'C: Attending Riker and Troi's wedding'. What'
Daniel Kukwa
Jun 30, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek, star-wars
One of those "competent...but why is it NECESSARY" books. Some fans are obsessed with competitions between SF universes...why can't you simply enjoy all the ones you enjoy and be satisfied? I'm a Doctor Who fan, a Star Trek fan, AND a Star Wars fan...and I've never needed to defend them against each other. Voyager/Enterprise/Episode 1-2-3 prequels aside (all equally disappointing), I love all THREE series, and all THREE universes. That's more than good enough for me -- debate is unnecessary.
Palladin
May 06, 2011 Palladin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-read-next
Read the first chapter online and now I have to read the rest; even though it is obvious that the title was selected under duress. Thanks Matt.
John
Oct 19, 2016 John rated it did not like it
Basically an internet article that got out of hand. The only thing that makes it readable is that Matt Forbeck is a talented writer (also the only reason I picked it up in the first place, that and it was on clearance).

Nearly everything is turned into various contests between two characters from the different universes, instead of being a comparison of the various technologies, governments, physical laws, etc. It makes for an easier to follow narrative, but I feel opportunities were lost.

Ultimat
Adam Bruski
Oct 28, 2016 Adam Bruski rated it did not like it
Sorry, couldn't do it. It's like a thought exercise with absolutely no parameters. This is what happens when you write a book for the sole purpose of stamping Star Wars or Star Trek on the cover without the content to back it up.
Rich
Nov 04, 2016 Rich rated it did not like it
Ugh. Don't bother. Author is passing around fanboy opinions. I put it down half way through.
David Lott
Jun 28, 2015 David Lott rated it liked it
The idea of this book is simple; compare two similar yet distinctly different science fiction franchises, Star Wars and Star Trek, to see which one is best. However the follow through on this book lacks the basic understanding of the key difference between the franchises, Star Wars is a movie franchise while Star Trek is a series of TV shows. True, there are a few (good) animated TV shows in the Star Wars universe and there are (currently) 12 Star Trek movies. The substance of the debate is ...more
Scott
Aug 24, 2011 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, humor
I saw Star Wars Vs. Star Trek: Could the Empire Kick the Federation's Ass? by Matt Forbeck at the bookstore and knew this was a book I had to read. As a big Star Wars fan, I felt the book could have been reduced to a single page, with a big "YES!" on it. However, that wouldn't sell any copies. Instead, the author compares similar aspects of the two franchises' universes and tries to determine which matchups would go to which series. He bases each chapter on one group of comparisons, such as Men, ...more
Craig a.k.a Meatstack
There is no way I can write this review without sounding like a complete neckbeard, so I think the best way is just to proceed, and let the chips fall where they may.

I dare wonder if the author even watched the shows he's comparing, because if he had, he would have realized that the match-ups he's proposing do not even come close to being an analog of each other. Let me give you some examples:

Death Star vs. What? I would think that even the most casual observer of Star Trek, this would be obviou
Paul Lunger
May 22, 2015 Paul Lunger rated it it was ok
In "Star Wars vs. Star Trek: Could the Empire Kick the Federation's Ass? and Other Galaxy-Shaking Enigmas", Matt Forbeck takes the reader through 5 scenarios per chapter across 18 of them where we examines various concepts from leadership to technology to governments & everything in between to see just which universe would come out on top. Each chapter starts out of a with a quick 6 question quiz where we the reader get to test our knowledge of the universes themselves & then we get to ...more
Sanalith
Jan 17, 2013 Sanalith rated it it was ok
I was really looking forward to a nice, funny book after reading The Casual Vacancy, but this just left me feeling bored...and occasionally a little annoyed.

The premise is promising: Pit characters, ships, and weapons from Trek and Wars against one another, and see who wins. The problem is that the scenarios in which the the sides duke it out are completely unrealistic, and often just flat-out dull. Plus, it was fairly clearly right from the beginning that the author was biased at least a little
Derek
It's about time that someone wrote a detailed breakdown of how these two universes compare. Forbeck has written an entertaining treatise that involves a lot of creatively hypothetical situations, but that provides enough forethought and nuance to be able to be taken seriously by devotees of either franchise. Of the ninety head-to-head competitions he presents, fewer than five are debatable; I only wish that he had included a few more categories in the section on impact on our society. The whole ...more
J
Favorite Wars vs Trek match ups: Han Solo vs Captain Kirk, Padme Amidala vs Seven of Nine, Admiral Ackbar vs Locutus of Borg, Stormtroopers vs Red Shirts, Battle Droids vs the Borg, Darth Vader vs Khan, The Galactic Empire vs The Klingon Empire, the Jedi Council vs the Q Continuum, Jar-Jar Binks vs Wesley Crusher, Wicket vs the Tribbles, Mace Windu vs Hikaru Sulu, Executor vs Enterprise-E, Death Star vs Deep Space 9, hyperdrives vs warp drives, John Williams vs Alexander Courage, $24.5 billion ...more
Jc
Jan 06, 2015 Jc rated it liked it
A candy book about what would happen if various Star Wars characters hit against various Star Trek characters. Ultimately, the situations posed in the book lead to a fun set of diversions from the real world (and the worlds of both universes). Taken as what it is, it's worth a read for the humor.

Overall we get an OK book of What-Ifs from the Trek and SW universes that's a decent way to spend an evening. Wouldn't give it a second read though; it's definitely a one-off read.
Alison
I would have enjoyed it more if some of the match ups had been different. (The Death Star vs DS9...I mean, c'mon.) I also felt like Forbeck was a tad biased, but maybe I'm just projecting.

All in all, quick, silly, and flawed, but still fun. I read bits and pieces of it aloud to my 9 year old, and he cracked up.
Ken
Nov 02, 2014 Ken rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek, star-wars
Very cute popcorn-style book, exactly the right thing I needed to take a break from the very heavy reading of Underworld. The most entertaining part was the very end where the Emperor joins the Borg and goes after the Federation, but Spock's solution of using red matter to blow up the Borg Star leaves a black hole in the solar system - which means Earth is pretty doomed. :)
cookiemonger
Mar 05, 2016 cookiemonger rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
The two forewords, written by Jeremy Bulloch and Tim Russ, were exactly what I was looking for: thoughtful analysis and comparison of two series that really don't have much in common. The rest of the book was a really boring bunch of badly written fanfiction that forced characters to fight. The trivia could be interesting, but as someone pointed out, some of the answers were wrong.
Diane Heath
Jan 26, 2014 Diane Heath rated it liked it
A mildly amusing look at the two universes. Each chapter is preceded by a quiz so a reader can determine their own knowledge of Star Trek and Star Wars. The face-offs and how they are resolved are based on the author's whims but do remind one of a cage match system.
Scott James
Oct 14, 2012 Scott James rated it it was amazing
Matt Forbeck has accurately codified every late night drunken geek argument in this book. Rogues, redshirts, starships and space stations--Matt breaks it down in easy to read and hard to dispute scenarios. Buy this book, and become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.
Kevin Hansen
Mar 19, 2015 Kevin Hansen rated it really liked it
The only problem with this book is that nowhere cares about how it gets to its answer, just what the answer is (unless it's your team that list, then you may read it). Overall, an interesting Wars vs Trek setup.
Nancy Spagnolo
Oct 10, 2011 Nancy Spagnolo rated it really liked it
It was a really fun way to look at two of the most iconic sci-fi franchises in history. Characters who fit similar achetypes were placed into senios with pitted them against each other to see who come out on top.
Rachel
Sep 14, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
This book was a quick easy read. I am a fan of both Star Trek and Star Wars, so I enjoyed the scenarios the author set up. I could have done without all the references to the Star Wars Clone Wars stuff.
Sarah T.
Jan 05, 2016 Sarah T. rated it liked it
A cute, quick read for fans of Star Wars and Star Trek. I'm slightly more a fan of Trek, but grew up loving both. The matches sometimes felt kind of apples & oranges, but... as long as Q always wins, that's what matters, am I right? ;)
Lori
Apr 04, 2016 Lori rated it did not like it
Thought this was going to be a philosophical comparison a la Brin but its actually humor. Should have realized from the subtitle.
Yosef Shapiro
Sep 18, 2015 Yosef Shapiro rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, tv-shows
This is a fun book. I don't always accept the conclusions. But , it is fun seeing the head to head comparisons. I still think Kirk would gave found a way to beat Solo.
Philena
Jun 24, 2012 Philena rated it liked it
Freebie from the kobo book club.
Not my usual genre but there were enough comedic breaks for me to get through without difficulty.
All in all, it was better than I had expected.
Jacqueline
May 30, 2013 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
A funny look at the two biggest sci-fi franchises in the world. As a fan of both I was cheering for either side not really caring who won.
Bryan
Mar 21, 2013 Bryan rated it really liked it
This was a fun book to read. Lots of humor... Very interesting stats. I am actually a Star Wars fan but I learned quite a good deal about Star Trek. I may even watch a few of the movies again :)
Jaymie
Nov 21, 2015 Jaymie rated it liked it
First chapter was perfect but the format got old after awhile. I thought some of the match ups didn't fit with my perception of these famous characters while others seemed spot on.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I'm an award-winning, New York Times-bestselling author and game designer and happily married father of five, including a set of quadruplets. For more on my work, see Forbeck.com.
More about Matt Forbeck...