The Gluten-Free Vegan: 150 Delicious Gluten-Free, Animal-Free Recipes

The Gluten-Free Vegan: 150 Delicious Gluten-Free, Animal-Free Recipes

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  190 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Ideal cookbook for many health conditions: The Gluten-Free Vegan is a groundbreaking cookbook, combining both special diets for healthier, allergy-free eating. Millions of Americans have health conditions like celiac disease, fibromyalgia, or food allergies that require a gluten- and/or dairy-restricted diet. In addition, going vegetarian/vegan is fast becoming mainstream,...more
Published March 1st 2008 by Da Capo Press (first published December 24th 2007)

Rachel
This is a truly gluten-free, vegan cookbook. No spelt flour or honey in here! Awesome. I have already made the following recipes:

1. Betcha By Golly Bean Salad .. good, but needed doctoring up for more flavor.
2. Fruit and Nut Salad ... DELICIOUS!!! People LOVED IT at our bbq party.
3. Mexican Quinoa Salad ... good.
4. Super Antioxidant Salad ... DELICIOUS (have made it twice already).
5. Carrot Salad ... good.
6. Cucumber Salad ... good.
7. Sweet Potato Salad ... awesome, it was the RUN-AWAY hit of th...more
Sarah Kelsey
I don't know what it is about the Pacific Northwest, but we have some amazing alternative foods cookbook authors up here. Susan O'Brien, I gather, lives out on the Islands in the Sound, a magical landscape where she cooks up some magical foods. I have written notes all over this book and it has the tell-tale sticky notes protruding from every side. I'm not vegan, but I am a dairy-free eater, and by being both vegan and gluten-free, this author's recipes fall into the category of foods I can eat....more
Karli
This book gets an extra star for being one of the few gluten-free vegan recipe books out there, and so it's always nice to have this resource. However, many of the recipes are quite simple and not very extraordinary. The most useful parts of this book are the breakfast recipes and the baked goods recipes as they provide a good platform for experimenting with more creative ways to make gluten-free cookies, pancakes, etc. Otherwise, who really needs more recipes for salsa, guacamole, stuffed squas...more
Emily
Not impressed with the egg substitutes, soy, and xanthan gum in a lot of the recipes. I found a few keepers, but most were not within my set diet or were nothing new/different from all the other cookbooks I have viewed.
Faye Mcarthur
Oct 23, 2013 Faye Mcarthur marked it as gluten-free  ·  review of another edition
I have only just found this book .But it is exactly what I have been looking for.As I am celiac with no tolerance to lactose plus I have heart problems and an allergy to both chocolate and caffeine . And find it increasingly no longer enjoyable to eat meat ,I only will eat a small amount of chicken, I have years ago gave up red meats much to my doctors horror so I lie to him and say I still eat a little bit.I can't stand the smell of it . As for the chicken that's only at the nagging of my famil...more
Christine
Having been vegan before, for many of the recipes, it was an 'oh yeah' but having just had to take my family gluten free for health reasons this book has been a great addition to our shelves.
I've used the entree section mostly for guidance and idea generation and the baking section to learn how to use alternative flours etc.
The recipes are easy to follow and so far I haven't had any issue finding any of the ingredients. Not all the recipes are favorites of my twin toddlers, but at 2 not many f...more
Jukka
Gluten Free Vegan - Susan O'Brien

This is a good general recipe book, with easy prep basic stuff often with some zing. Well laid out with lots of pictures. Everything from appetizer to desert. Sometimes it's a little simple and obvious, like the smoothies, yet they're there in case you need the inspiration. I like the bake section especially. I'll be looking at Baby Cakes: Vegan Gluten Free by Erin McKenna soon so i'll review that when i get a chance to prep some of the things there.
Alia
I decided to drop gluten for a week, just for the heck of it. I'm on day three and I'm out of ideas already. I need to read this!

Just got this from the library and there's lots of good ideas for meals here. The side dish section seems a little bland. Um, I don't really need a recipe for a vegetable saute! But the main dishes sound yummy. Recipes I'm excited about include Herbed Beets and Onion Gratin and Yam Enchiladas with Pomegranate Sauce.
Patricia
This is such a great book for any Celiac with intolerances to casein as well. Great recipes from a variety of ethnic backgrounds help you find new and interesting flavor combinations to help keep your diet spiced up and never boring. My favorite recipes include the curried coconut squash stew, spicy quinoa pilaf, chocolate pudding, sauteed spinach and pine nuts and slavonian style green beans.
Alexa
I liked it, as it had some nice dressing recipes. But nothing really that was extraordinary. Maybe I have read too many Raw food recipe books, and the recipes are in each book more or less the same. This book just didn´t add any totally new ideas. Also some ingredients seem to be very exotic and difficult to obtain.
Katey
Simple and uncomplicated recipes that manifest as they should, for the most part. In other words, easy recipes, which is what I look for more often than not. A good place to start for ideas for meals sans wheat, meat, and dairy- a must when cooking for all members of my family (including me!).
Allie
Nothing ground-breaking or all that interesting. There were a few good desserts I'm going to try (coffee cake, brownies, pear torte - yum). Definitely more quinoa flour than you usually see in recipes which is awesome.
Sherry
This cookbook is a wonderful starting place for exploring gluten and dairy free recipes. I incorporate meat back into some of the dishes since I'm not vegan or vegetarian.
Lori
Interesting, but really anyone could put a book together on how to cook potatoes and make them wheat and gluten free. It really wasn't what I expected.
Pemberley Linden
I picked up this cookbook on a whim, and I have not been disappointed. I have enjoyed all the results from my kitchen using this book. Highly recommend!
Kaui
I borrowed this from the library mainly looking for new receipes. The jury still out with the kids, but I think the recipes were relatively simple and tasty.
Nicole
It's a good book, but I tend to not love recipe books in general. Nothing seems to beat the Internet in terms of finding nice simple recipes.
Susan Erhardt
I don't need gluten free recipes, but I found many delicious sounding things in this book that I have on my "to make" list.
Kris Siegel
I haven't made anything from this cookbook yet, but the recipes looked so delicious that I bought my own copy.
Trelesa
The recipes sound tempting and promising - NO PHOTOS!
Renee Thompson
I may actually buy this one!
Rachel
So far, so good...
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Divya Veeraiah
Divya Veeraiah marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
  • Flying Apron's Gluten Free & Vegan Baking Book
  • BabyCakes Covers the Classics: Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes from Donuts to Snickerdoodles
  • Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons
  • The Great Vegan Bean Book
  • Vegan Cooking for Carnivores: Over 125 Recipes So Tasty You Won't Miss the Meat
  • Vegan Italiano: Meat-free, Egg-free, Dairy-free Dishes from Sun-Drenched Italy
  • The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes: Amazing Cookies, Cakes, Muffins, Pies, Brownies and Breads
  • Quick-Fix Vegan: Healthy, Homestyle Meals in 30 Minutes or Less
  • Home-Cooked Vegan Comfort Food: More Than 200 Belly-Filling, Lip-Smacking Recipes
  • Chloe's Kitchen: 125 Easy, Delicious Recipes for Making the Food You Love the Vegan Way
  • The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet: 101 Globally Inspired Vegan Creations Packed with Fresh Flavors and Exciting New Tastes
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • Artisan Vegan Cheese
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • Isa Does It: Amazingly Easy, Wildly Delicious Vegan Recipes for Every Day of the Week
  • Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • Vegan World Fusion Cuisine: Over 200 award-winning recipes
Gluten-free, Sugar-free Cooking: Over 200 Delicious Recipes to Help You Live a Healthier, Allergy-Free Life Gluten-Free Vegan Comfort Food: 125 Simple and Satisfying Recipes, from "Mac and Cheese" to Chocolate Cupcakes