Start by marking “The Gluten-Free Vegan: 150 Delicious Gluten-Free, Animal-Free Recipes” as Want to Read:
The Gluten-Free Vegan: 150 Delicious Gluten-Free, Animal-Free Recipes

The Gluten-Free Vegan: 150 Delicious Gluten-Free, Animal-Free Recipes

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  339 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Ideal cookbook for many health conditions: The Gluten-Free Vegan is a groundbreaking cookbook, combining both special diets for healthier, allergy-free eating. Millions of Americans have health conditions like celiac disease, fibromyalgia, or food allergies that require a gluten- and/or dairy-restricted diet. In addition, going vegetarian/vegan is fast becoming mainstream, ...more
Published May 14th 2014 by Da Capo Press (first published December 24th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Gluten-Free Vegan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gluten-Free Vegan

Rachel
This is a truly gluten-free, vegan cookbook. No spelt flour or honey in here! Awesome. I have already made the following recipes:

1. Betcha By Golly Bean Salad .. good, but needed doctoring up for more flavor.
2. Fruit and Nut Salad ... DELICIOUS!!! People LOVED IT at our bbq party.
3. Mexican Quinoa Salad ... good.
4. Super Antioxidant Salad ... DELICIOUS (have made it twice already).
5. Carrot Salad ... good.
6. Cucumber Salad ... good.
7. Sweet Potato Salad ... awesome, it was the RUN-AWAY hit of th
Sarah Kelsey
May 10, 2011 Sarah Kelsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, food
I don't know what it is about the Pacific Northwest, but we have some amazing alternative foods cookbook authors up here. Susan O'Brien, I gather, lives out on the Islands in the Sound, a magical landscape where she cooks up some magical foods. I have written notes all over this book and it has the tell-tale sticky notes protruding from every side. I'm not vegan, but I am a dairy-free eater, and by being both vegan and gluten-free, this author's recipes fall into the category of foods I can eat. ...more
Karli
Apr 23, 2010 Karli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gets an extra star for being one of the few gluten-free vegan recipe books out there, and so it's always nice to have this resource. However, many of the recipes are quite simple and not very extraordinary. The most useful parts of this book are the breakfast recipes and the baked goods recipes as they provide a good platform for experimenting with more creative ways to make gluten-free cookies, pancakes, etc. Otherwise, who really needs more recipes for salsa, guacamole, stuffed squas ...more
Faye Mcarthur
Oct 23, 2013 Faye Mcarthur marked it as gluten-free  ·  review of another edition
I have only just found this book .But it is exactly what I have been looking for.As I am celiac with no tolerance to lactose plus I have heart problems and an allergy to both chocolate and caffeine . And find it increasingly no longer enjoyable to eat meat ,I only will eat a small amount of chicken, I have years ago gave up red meats much to my doctors horror so I lie to him and say I still eat a little bit.I can't stand the smell of it . As for the chicken that's only at the nagging of my famil ...more
Lots of good ideas for high protein dishes that are light on sugars and heavy on vegetables.
Steve
Jan 25, 2015 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-and-cooking
Best collection of tasty, easy to prepare, easy to adapt healthy recipes. Love this book.
A.C. Bauch
I've already made several dishes from this book, and they have all been easy and delicious. This cookbook is perfect for someone like me, who is just beginning a vegan, gluten-free diet.
hissi
Jul 02, 2015 hissi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
the recipes didn't wow me
Christine
Mar 13, 2012 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
Having been vegan before, for many of the recipes, it was an 'oh yeah' but having just had to take my family gluten free for health reasons this book has been a great addition to our shelves.
I've used the entree section mostly for guidance and idea generation and the baking section to learn how to use alternative flours etc.
The recipes are easy to follow and so far I haven't had any issue finding any of the ingredients. Not all the recipes are favorites of my twin toddlers, but at 2 not many f
Jukka
Gluten Free Vegan - Susan O'Brien

This is a good general recipe book, with easy prep basic stuff often with some zing. Well laid out with lots of pictures. Everything from appetizer to desert. Sometimes it's a little simple and obvious, like the smoothies, yet they're there in case you need the inspiration. I like the bake section especially. I'll be looking at Baby Cakes: Vegan Gluten Free by Erin McKenna soon so i'll review that when i get a chance to prep some of the things there.
Alia
Sep 07, 2008 Alia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafts-n-cooking
I decided to drop gluten for a week, just for the heck of it. I'm on day three and I'm out of ideas already. I need to read this!

Just got this from the library and there's lots of good ideas for meals here. The side dish section seems a little bland. Um, I don't really need a recipe for a vegetable saute! But the main dishes sound yummy. Recipes I'm excited about include Herbed Beets and Onion Gratin and Yam Enchiladas with Pomegranate Sauce.
Patricia
This is such a great book for any Celiac with intolerances to casein as well. Great recipes from a variety of ethnic backgrounds help you find new and interesting flavor combinations to help keep your diet spiced up and never boring. My favorite recipes include the curried coconut squash stew, spicy quinoa pilaf, chocolate pudding, sauteed spinach and pine nuts and slavonian style green beans.
Alexa
Jul 13, 2012 Alexa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cook-book
I liked it, as it had some nice dressing recipes. But nothing really that was extraordinary. Maybe I have read too many Raw food recipe books, and the recipes are in each book more or less the same. This book just didnt add any totally new ideas. Also some ingredients seem to be very exotic and difficult to obtain. ...more
Katey
May 10, 2010 Katey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple and uncomplicated recipes that manifest as they should, for the most part. In other words, easy recipes, which is what I look for more often than not. A good place to start for ideas for meals sans wheat, meat, and dairy- a must when cooking for all members of my family (including me!).
Allie
Feb 08, 2012 Allie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Nothing ground-breaking or all that interesting. There were a few good desserts I'm going to try (coffee cake, brownies, pear torte - yum). Definitely more quinoa flour than you usually see in recipes which is awesome.
Emily
Apr 28, 2015 Emily rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not impressed with the egg substitutes, soy, and xanthan gum in a lot of the recipes. I found a few keepers, but most were not within my set diet or were nothing new/different from all the other cookbooks I have viewed.
Sherry
Feb 01, 2010 Sherry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
This cookbook is a wonderful starting place for exploring gluten and dairy free recipes. I incorporate meat back into some of the dishes since I'm not vegan or vegetarian.
Lori
Feb 06, 2013 Lori rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, but really anyone could put a book together on how to cook potatoes and make them wheat and gluten free. It really wasn't what I expected.
Pemberley Linden
Jan 09, 2013 Pemberley Linden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
I picked up this cookbook on a whim, and I have not been disappointed. I have enjoyed all the results from my kitchen using this book. Highly recommend!
Kaui
Apr 08, 2010 Kaui rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed this from the library mainly looking for new receipes. The jury still out with the kids, but I think the recipes were relatively simple and tasty.
Nicole
Dec 27, 2009 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
It's a good book, but I tend to not love recipe books in general. Nothing seems to beat the Internet in terms of finding nice simple recipes.
Susan Erhardt
I don't need gluten free recipes, but I found many delicious sounding things in this book that I have on my "to make" list.
Kris Siegel
Mar 14, 2013 Kris Siegel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vegan-books
I haven't made anything from this cookbook yet, but the recipes looked so delicious that I bought my own copy.
Trelesa
The recipes sound tempting and promising - NO PHOTOS!
Renee Thompson
Nov 29, 2009 Renee Thompson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I may actually buy this one!
Rachel
Feb 17, 2010 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must-reads
So far, so good...
KERRY E BRENT
KERRY E BRENT rated it did not like it
Aug 21, 2016
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Srk
Srk rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2016
K Regina
K Regina marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
  • Flying Apron's Gluten Free & Vegan Baking Book
  • BabyCakes Covers the Classics: Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes from Donuts to Snickerdoodles
  • Great Gluten-Free Vegan Eats: Cut Out the Gluten and Enjoy an Even Healthier Vegan Diet with Recipes for Fabulous, Allergy-Free Fare
  • Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons
  • Vegan Italiano: Meat-free, Egg-free, Dairy-free Dishes from Sun-Drenched Italy
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • Spork-Fed: Super Fun and Flavorful Vegan Recipes from the Sisters of Spork Foods
  • Home-Cooked Vegan Comfort Food: More Than 200 Belly-Filling, Lip-Smacking Recipes
  • Sticky Fingers' Sweets: 100 Super-Secret Vegan Recipes
  • The Vegan Slow Cooker: Simply Set It and Go with 150 Recipes for Intensely Flavorful, Fuss-Free Fare Everyone (Vegan or Not!) Will Devour
  • Vegan Casseroles: Pasta Bakes, Gratins, Pot Pies, and More
  • Vegan Cooking for Carnivores: Over 125 Recipes So Tasty You Won't Miss the Meat
  • 1,000 Vegan Recipes