Christmas Trolls

Christmas Trolls

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  793 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Christmas is Treva's favorite time of year, especially the preparations -- finding the perfect tree, decorating the house, and making presents for her family. But this year is different. Small things are disappearing, then some of the presents themselves. Treva is mystified, until early one morning she sees a small creature scurrying across the snow, carrying the Christmas...more
Published September 30th 1993 by Putnam Juvenile (first published January 1st 1993)

The Mitten by Jan BrettFritz and the Beautiful Horses by Jan BrettThe First Dog by Jan BrettTrouble with Trolls by Jan BrettThe Wild Christmas Reindeer by Jan Brett
Best of Jan Brett
8th out of 30 books — 3 voters
Neurology by April Chloe TerrazasChemistry by April Chloe TerrazasThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreCaddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie BrinkAnd Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson
Children's Books to Buy Someday
25th out of 84 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

midnightfaerie
A book my 6 yr old as well as my twin 3 yr olds loved. A solid reading level 1 book, this cute story keeps all ages engaged with the bright colorful pictures and cute story. A great addition to any children's library.
Janet
The three stars is for Brett's illustrations and wish I could separate the story from the text as I would not give the story three stars as it is a bit heavy in the way it conveys the message of sharing/giving at Christmas. And, yes I know trolls are an integral part of Norwegian culture, but this for me is a little unbelievable.
Lisa
The story of Treva and their family, as they get ready for Christmas. When Treva and her brother cut down the tree, they were followed home by some curious trolls, who decided that they wanted their own Christmas. They tried to get it by stealing presents, ornamnets, food and decorations from Treva's family, but Treva catches them and tries to teach them the true meaning of Christmas, and how they can have their own celebration without stealing anything. Beatiful Jan Brett illustrations througho...more
Michelle
A young girl, Treva, is preparing for the Christmas holiday when items begin to mysteriously disappear from her home. One day she sees a troll carrying off the Christmas pudding and follows him into the forest. Treva finds two trolls who don’t understand Christmas until she teaches them the meaning.

Honestly, this is not one of my favorite Jan Brett stories, but it is still nice to read around the holidays. Children enjoy the trolls while getting the message about the meaning of Christmas.
Dolly
Dec 08, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, childrens, christmas
Though not a big fan of trolls, I am a big fan of Jan Brett's books, so in the spirit of the season, we checked this book out from our local library. It's a fun story, and our favorite parts are the detailed illustrations in the borders that tell a little bit more about the story as it progresses. We loved the little hedgehog!
Knitology
A Scandinavian story with knitting mentions. Treva is mystified when her family's decorations and their presents start to disappear one by one. Deep in the forest, she finds two mischievous trolls squabbling over her Christmas things. Children will love spending Christmas with Treva and the trolls who become her friends.
Emilie
This was one of my favourite books as a child. The art is beyond gorgeous, with intricate details and little hidden things to find on every page, and the story is sweet and has a great sentiment. An absolutely wonderful children's story, I couldn't recommend it more highly!
Beth
Treva and Sami, her brother, can't find everything for Christmas at their house because trolls Mig and Tig want Christmas. They do learn the meaning of sharing and give Treva a troll horse.
"Now if you really want Christmas, you must be generous with each other."
Jen
The importance of preparation and generosity as part of the Christmas experience are brought to life in this sentimental tale by Jan Brett. The plot is a little sacharine, but, as always, the illustrations are beautifully wrought and cheerfully detailed.
Cheryl in CC NV
We owned this, and yet I can't remember it well. And we gave it away. So, I guess it wasn't all that special. Unless of course you're like my mother and just can't get enough of Brett's art.
Cassidy Bunnett
I think the book is good but there should be more excitement in it I am not saying that I do not like Jan Brett I love her writing! in the book and I love her art work! By:CASSIDY!-
W

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Treva notices things are missing as Christmas approaches. She discovers the culprits, two trolls, and teaches them what Christmas is really all about. Ages 5-8.
Lori
Great message about giving. No need to mention the incredible beauty of her artwork, that goes without saying. Also featuring a DALA HORSE, which i love, love, love..
Ruth
The story is okay, but the illustrations are gorgeous. Ben and I both love hedgehogs and there is a hedgehog to find on every page.
Marita
Love this Scandinavian inspired Christmas story and all the pictures trolls hedgehogs and all the clothes and other details!
Pam
Perhaps my favorite Jan Brett Christmas story because it contains a Dalecarian horse...and a wild troll horse as well! :)
Sandra
I have read this book to my children for years! I love it, Great illustation, and thought put into it, check it out!
Sharon
I mostly just love Jan Brett's pictures. The story is just fine and a little bit cute, but the illustrations are great,
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
I liked this book because it is about two trolls that wantChristmas and this girl that helps them decorate. T. R.
Tam
Personally, I do not like books by Jan Brett (especially the illustrations) but my boys (ages 10 & 5) enjoy them.
Alix
I break this book out every year to re-read and share with others. I love the drawings and the folklore.
Diana
This book can even keep a 3 year old entertained through the whole story. A great story to read year year.
Natalia
One of my personal favorites, I love the whole idea and Jan Brett just makes it even better.
Teri
We LOVE the European style of Jan Brett!!! It also has a nice message and a fun story. 3.5 stars
Meredith Henning
Love this one! So fun and great illustrations, classic Jan Brett Christmas read!
Rachel
A story book that tells about the true meaning of Christmas - good spirit and generosity.
JoDean
We love Jan Brett's illustrations. This is a nice story about learning to share.
Trista
A cute story about a girl who teaches two trolls what Christmas is really about.
Betsy
Sweet book. Beautiful illustrations. Hedgie is in it! Storyline is nice.
Jessica
This was a really cute book... It's great for teaching about sharing as well!
  • Christmas Tapestry
  • The Legend of the Poinsettia
  • Carl's Christmas
  • The Valentine Bears
  • The Little Fir Tree
  • Who is Coming to Our House?
  • Mooseltoe
  • Christmas Day in the Morning
  • Santa Mouse
  • The Story of Holly and Ivy
  • The Little Drummer Boy
  • The Jolly Christmas Postman
  • Silver Packages: An Appalachian Christmas Story
With over thirty three million books in print, Jan Brett is one of the nation's foremost author illustrators of children's books. Jan lives in a seacoast town in Massachusetts, close to where she grew up. During the summer her family moves to a home in the Berkshire Hills of Massachusetts.
As a child, Jan Brett decided to be an illustrator and spent many hours reading and drawing. She says, "I reme...more
More about Jan Brett...
The Mitten The Hat The Wild Christmas Reindeer Gingerbread Baby Town Mouse, Country Mouse