Design on a Crime (Deadly Décor Mysteries #1)

Design on a Crime (Deadly Décor Mystery #1)

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  548 ratings  ·  82 reviews
Haley Farrell is taking a chance on herself. After receiving her interior design certificate, she quits her job at the local furniture store and decides to open her own interior decorating business. But with all the advantages of her new career-meeting new people, and decorating new and old homes-comes a huge pitfall. Her new job allows her access into her clients' homes a...more
Published September 1st 2005 by Fleming H. Revell division of Baker Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Design on a Crime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Design on a Crime

Lori Henrich
Haley is starting a new design business. To say she is a little nervous is an understatement. Marge has been in her corner encouraging her from the start. Haley has been through alot in the last several years. A personal tragedy has clouded her entire outlook, especially affecting her faith in God. Then her mother passed away, and now this leap into a new career.

Haley has a big rooting section led by Marge. So when Marge turns up dead at the auction where Haley is meeting with her first potentia...more
Beth Peninger
I'm guessing this was the author's first novel and I applaud her courageous attempt. It wasn't horrible, it was a pretty decent read, but it wasn't spectacular either. It was what I would expect from a first time author getting her first book published (boy am I going to be "embarrassed" if I find out she's published before this!).
Ginny Aiken has a good idea for a series and I'm curious to know if the books in the series get better as she grows as an author.
Aiken tries too hard to be "relatabl...more
Melissainau
Cheryl Landmark
Actual Rating: 2.5 Stars

When I first bought this book, I didn't realize it was Christian fiction. I just thought it was a new cozy mystery series that I'm always in the market for. Not that the Christian elements are solely responsible for my rating of 2.5 stars, but they certainly did contribute to it. Don't get me wrong--I'm not adverse to the mention of God and Christianity in a book, but I found this one to be a little too preachy and heavy-handed for my liking. It seemed that nearly every s...more
D.M. Webb
The reader is introduced to an Agatha Christie-like cozy mystery meets Inspector Clouseau-style heroine in this charming murder mystery, Design on a Crime: Deadly Decor Mystery.

Maybe not a profound whodunit story, but this book packs a wallop with the list of suspects, the main one being designer Haley Farrell, bungled "snoop" sessions, comical happenstances between her arch-rival Dutch and the "Karate Chop Cop", and Haley's downs-and-ups in her faith.

The main story may seem more of "who killed...more
Saphie
I loved the general plot of this book, but had a few problems -This book is excessively wordy - I found myself skimming over paragraphs because I felt they were to redundant. I applauded the author's wide vocabulary, yet somehow at the same time it annoyed me.It doesn't help that I'm not the sort of person whos super into fashion, caring about different fabrics and exact shades of colors. But I cant hold that against the book, since I knew going in it would have some of that. This should have be...more
Kathi
Mar 15, 2013 Kathi rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No-one
I quite enjoyed the start of this book, but I was happy to reach the end when it (finally) came. It starts off as a decent murder mystery but deteriorates into beating the reader around the head with a heavy-handed religious message. I'm not completely opposed to the inclusion of Haley rediscovering her faith, but it was very poorly handled - it felt like I was being beaten around the head with the conversion stick. It's a shame, because this story definitely had potential.
Melissa
I'm so glad I'm finally done reading this book! I wanted a good mystery, something akin to my childhood favorite Nancy Drew books. I was very disappointed. I finished it because it's a neuroses of mine, but if I could have allowed myself, I would have put it down. The author dealt with a murder mystery and a trauma victim, and I didn't think she did either very well. Honestly, my favorite part of reading this book was roasting it in this review....
Martha
What I liked about this book is how strongly the author dealt with the heroine's angst about her faith issues. Hailey's lack of faith is very plausible, and how her father and friends helped her address it was right on the mark. I will say the murderer was not who I thought it would be, so the ending was a surprise. Good book, and I look forward to seeing how Hailey evolves in her new business and her foundling faith.
Cassiday Tamillo
Another Amazon freebie. Generally a decently written book, but I feel like all the free Amazon mysteries I download lately end up having a heavy hand with Christian beliefs. While I personally can look past it to the plot of the book, I can see it being distracting to most. Especially since it's not listed as being religious fiction. Decent plot, believable characters, will probably give the second in the series a shot.
Kristin
The story itself was ok, but it was all the pontificating that really turned me off. I read for fun, not to be preached at. Also, Dutch, one of the characters was VERY annoying. I will not read another book in this series.
Abbi
Very light mystery. Decent writing, interesting characters, but the plot got a little thin at points. The mystery mostly served as a vehicle for the personal growth of the main character.
Kasi Lou
Apr 12, 2009 Kasi Lou marked it as try-again-later  ·  review of another edition
I started this book on 04/11/2009. I quit this book on 04/12/2009. This book is just a little to cheesy for me it seems so I'm moving on and maybe I'll try this one again later...
Susan
The story was just about okay but the overlying God aspects became too much, too sugary, and really spoilt the tale for me.
Rachelle Lerner
I enjoyed this book even though it had a definate point of view that is not mine.
Tara
Well written book. I'm looking forward to reading the next one.
Lisa
This book was enjoyable, yet irritating. The main character was quite annoying, but she get better by the end. It was interesting reading a book where the main character was a Christian, at first I was excited, as I too am a Christian, yet she was rather annoying, and her friends and family seemed rather pushy about faith which I found irritating.

The main character in this book, Haley, is an interior designer, well... can you really be called an interior designer if you haven't actually worked...more
Deb
plot summary: what happens, when & where, central characters, major conflicts[return]haley is trying to get her career as an interior designer. at an auction, she stumbles across one of her friends--who has just been murdered! now she is a prime suspect in the murder, and in self defense she decides to try to figure out who did it. along the way she continues to deal with her personal battle with insecurity, following a rape she experience years ago. mostly this book is just a fun mystery, w...more
Brandi
I have read many Christian fiction novels and mysteries, and most of them feel as if a little religion is thrown in so they can call it Christian. This one, on the other hand, was nearly painful in its preaching. In fact, this is one of the few books I haven't been able to finish. I found the main character just plain annoying, and the mystery started out OK, but turned into a side note after all the religion came into play.

As I said, I am definitely not opposed to Christian fiction. This was ju...more
Christy
The beginning was really good with the excitement about the auction and would Haley get the job and then the murder. And then it wasn't so good. Haley was a very unlikeable character - whiney, friendless, and downright mean and rude. It took way too long to get to the root of her "past" and why it has affected her present so much. By the time it was finally revealed, I kind of didn't care. What was the purpose of the Dutch character other than to show up everywhere and yell at her? Bella was ann...more
Angie Vallejo
This was a first book in a series, but as I read it, there were details of a "past episode" that kept reoccurring that were never fully discussed until much, much further into the book. I think if more detail was given earlier, there may have been more empathy for the main character and not so much frustration on my (the reader's) part. I think it was kept to be an "aha" moment, but instead it was a little underwhelming. The sassiness of the main character could have come off much better and not...more
Mary Beth
Not a profound whodunit, but it was entertaining. It was kind of heavy on red herrings, but I loved the hilarious "investigating" by Haley and I loved Karate Chop's character.

Angel **Book Junkie**
So this book had some really great points but also I think that the christian references in the murder mystery were a little overkill. I know silly me for not realizing that the book was a christian fiction and even if I would have known I probably would have read the book.

The fact is the MC was great, funny, and I really liked her but the trouble was all the Christian reference and who really killed the lady was a little crazy to me. Not that I would not recommend the book I just think you hav...more
ChrisGA
I really enjoyed this kindle freebie. It is the story of a young woman, damaged mentally by date rape four years previously, who lost her faith in a loving God. It takes a second tragedy, the death of her mentor and friend and her subsequent arrest for the murder, to take her to the point of finally reaching back out to God. I expected a silly romance---this wasn't that at all, but a very satisfying story of her quest for justice for her dead friend, coming to grips with the past violence in her...more
Melissa
Christian mystery about an interior designer. Nothing stands out.
Melissa
This book was just ok. I have liked Ginny Aiken books in the past, and although this wasn't horrible I struggled to get through it...kind of hoping that I was towards the end.

The main character was kind of a ninny, and it is explained later in the book why she hates cops and men. But it just seemed to drag. The same conversations over and over.

I would have rated it a 2 or 2-1/2 stars, but I didn't find it detestable, and did find the whodunit part interesting to figure out.
Teresa
Apr 05, 2012 Teresa rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
WARNING: this book contains triggers for rape (both date and unknown assailant), assault, meddling friends and relatives, and criminally bad therapist behavior, and is basically a god bomb.

The main character was interesting until she was lobotomized towards the end. Good premise, enough so that I think, if the author had spent less time grinding her axe, it could've been a good book. The writing was uneven, short and choppy interspersed with flowery prose.
Ellen
I think my biggest problem with this book was expecting it to be something it was not. I wasn't ready for murder and rape. Looking at the cover and title, I thought it was going to be an art theft tale. So that worked against me the whole way through. Beyond that, I had a hard time connecting with the characters, particularly the ladies' missionary society group meeting scenes. I'm still not sure what those parts were all about really.
Debbie
free kindle book!
Struggled with whether to rate this 2-stars or 3-stars. There were some well-written moments and I enjoyed the overall premise. However, it did drag in some places - and I really wish she would not repeatedly recap what had been learned so far about the crime, the suspects, and the motives. Having said all that, I will probably try another book in this series (since this was the first) to see if she is growing as a writer!
Amanda
I really enjoyed this book but it kind of stretched the limits on being realistic. A doctor AND a pastor both break confidentiality to talk about someone? And the doctor does it twice, the first time without even being asked.
Aside from that, it was pretty good. Not sure about the almost-friendship between Detective Tsu and the heroine, but I suppose it could happen. I love the tension with Dutch. Can't wait to see what happens there.
  • Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3)
  • Assault with a Deadly Glue Gun (Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery #1)
  • Lye in Wait (Home Crafting Mystery, #1)
  • Diagnosis Death (Prescription for Trouble, #3)
  • The Dead Saint
  • When the Devil Whistles
  • Sweet Baklava
  • Blame It On The Mistletoe (Bright's Pond #4)
  • Chili Con Corpses (A Supper Club Mystery, #3)
  • Deadly Gamble (A Charlie Parker Mystery #1)
  • Killer Twist (Ghostwriter Mystery #1)
  • Antiques Maul (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #2)
  • A Brisket, a Casket (A Deadly Deli Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Reckoning
  • Gone to Green (Green #1)
  • Through the Fire
  • A Hearth in Candlewood (Candlewood Trilogy, #1)
  • Love Me If You Must (Patricia Amble, #1)
Ginny Aiken, a former newspaper reporter, lives in Pennsylvania wiht her husband and their three younger sons--the oldest is married, has flown the coop, and made her a doting grandmother. Born in Havana, Cuba, and raised in Valencia and Caracas Venezuela, Ginny discovered books at an early age. She wrote her first novel at age fifteen while she trained with the Ballets de Caracas, later to be kno...more
More about Ginny Aiken...
Priced to Move (The Shop-Til-U-Drop Collection #1) For Such a Time as This (Women of Hope #1) Decorating Schemes (A Deadly Décor Mystery, #2) Interior Motives (A Deadly Décor Mystery, #3) Light of My Heart (Silver Hills Trilogy, #1)