Start by marking “Midnight (Jack Nightingale, #2)” as Want to Read:
Midnight (Jack Nightingale, #2)

Midnight (Jack Nightingale #2)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  1,223 ratings  ·  88 reviews
The second in the exhilarating new series by Stephen Leather that began with NIGHTFALL: of-the-minute thrillers with a supernatural twist.

Jack Nightingale found it hard enough to save lives when he was a cop. Now he needs to save a soul - his sister's. But to save her he has to find her and they've been separated since birth.

When everyone Jack talks to about his sister die
Published January 1st 2011 by Hodder & Stoughton

To ask other readers questions about Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight

Miles
Stephen Leather, you clever clever man – what a truly magnificent way to kick off a brand new year – welcome to 2011!

My first introduction to Stephen Leather and Jack Nightingale, “Midnight” is one of those books you never really know what to expect when you pick it up. Sent an ARC by Hodder & Stoughton towards the end of last year I put it to one side to clear my backlog of impending publishing deadlines. If I knew then what I know now – I sincerely doubt I would have waited until New Year’
Ubiquitousbastard
A very, very weak three stars. Almost closer to two. The main reason for that is because of a few repetitive aspects that were carried over from the first book. (Making them increasingly difficult to forgive.)
1. The same phrases said over and over. (It's cute once in a while, not five times a chapter.)
2. The same phrase from the first book written/said over and over with just a few changes. (Really? Was that catchphrase the secret to your book selling? I doubt it.)
3. The God angle. Please disc
Kay Peterson
I bought the first two books in this series during an Audible sale. I LOVED the first one - enough to overlook some minor irritations but I didn't enjoy this one nearly as much. If the sentences "Nightingale shrugged" or "Nightingale lit a cigarette" were removed from the book, I'm sure it would cut the length by a third. And it wasn't only Nightingale who shrugged, everyone did. I felt that the plot really was just a poor rehash of the first story which was really disappointing. I have already ...more
Katy
Apr 09, 2013 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of urban fantasy male-oriented and action-oriented
Recommended to Katy by: Amazon Vine Last Harvest
Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy/Occult Detective
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Fans of urban fantasy, esp. male-oriented, action-filled stories
Trigger Warnings: murder, ritual murder (including children), suicide

My Thoughts: This is the second book in the Nightingale series, following Nightfall (review linked here where formatting allowed).

I'm really enjoying this series, and definitely want to read the third book, Nightmare, when I have a chance. I don't actually have a copy yet, though,
James
Jack has reason to summon three different devils to save his sister's soul. He is convinced she is innocent of the crimes she has been convicted for and helps her escape from Rampton.
By the end of the book he has survived three attempts on his life but founds out that one was not sent by Prosperine
James
I like Stephen Leather's books. I award this one 3 and a half stars.
Midnight isn't very serious and it was over very quickly for me.

Jack Nightingale is back and so is his helpful assistant.
The characters are not very credible but are fun anyway.
I get the feeling this is a bit of fun for the author too and it must be selling as I understand that there will now be 5 Jack books not 3.
Some devil-lite capers are involved but nothing to make you lose any sleep.
Jack's own version of Boleskine House st
Cait
Feb 15, 2015 Cait rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cait by: colleague from work
Having finished the first book in the Jack Nightingale series I swapped it for the second one from the colleague at work has been lending them to virtually everyone in our team.

I think I enjoyed this one more than the first because I was familiar with the characters and unlike the first, I knew what to expect from this book. I often find I enjoy the second book in a series more than the first on a first read because I'm into the story. In this one I had a better idea of what to expect from Jack
Grw
The second in a series is always going to suffer from being a follow up, but this didn't have that, albeit not for the right reasons. The problem was that 'Midnight' came across as the same book as 'Nightfall' just with a lot of the pieces rearranged.

Sure the main plot was slightly different, and did continue from 'Nightfall' but everything else stunk of a cut n' paste. There's still an obsession with smoking as if Stephen Leather is being paid for product placement, or at least a bet he can't
Dan
I didn't think this came anywhere close to being as enjoyable as the 1st in the series, personally. It's not really my genre, but I really liked Nightfall, and 'had to' continue the series. Unfortunately, I was quite disappointed.

Jack arrives to talk to someone. They've commuted suicide. A message appears "Your sister is going to hell Jack Nightingale". Repeat as necessary till book ends...

Even the demon summoning seemed more unbelievable, and just a little too easy.

I do like the dialogues, es
Al
May 11, 2011 Al rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kath Felder
I am a huge Stephen Leather fan but have to admit that although I enjoyed this book, it was not as good as some of his previous novels, including the first one in the Jack Nightingale series.
It certainly kept me reading through to the end but there were parts that necessitated a bit of speed-reading to get through it.
Jo
This was slightly disappointing as it just felt like a repeat of the first novel only this time it was Jack's sister's soul that needed saving. There were some nice twists and it was enjoyable enough because of the likability of Jack and Jenny. Hopefully the third novel will bring something different.
Nora
3,5 points actually..
Susie
Brilliant second book in the jack nightingale supernatural thrillers.
About selling your soul to the a devil and outwitting them.
Flows easily, nicely written, I read in 2 sittings. Highly recommend
Petrina
I like these books, a bit different to the normal detective with supernatural overtones (his evil dad sold his and his sisters soul to the devil). Very spooky website too.
Tony Nielsen
He's a bit of a lad is Mr Nightingale. And it's a long time since I read Dennis
Wheatley type occult thrillers. The body count is high too. I liked it.
Christine bonner
This is the second book about Jack Nightingale who was a cop but after something happen to a girl he is now a PI,
He has a pain in the back side called Superintendent Ronald Chalmers who is blaming him for murders
Jack found out he had a sister after 33 year he though his was on his own his birth father Gosling had sold both their soles to the devil so when there both became 33 the devils will have there souls.
Jenny who works with him helps him found her and go to the house that Gosling had left h
Belinda Cantwell
Im really starting to like reading supernatural stuff, csnt wait for the next one
Mick Mulley
I hope there's a third book involving Jack Nightingale
Monnie
Much like Nightfall, the first in this rather dark but infinitely readable trilogy by Stephen Leather - one of my favorite authors - starts with an ominous warning: "Your sister is going to hell, Jack Nightingale!" The same was said about him in the first book; now, he's seeing and hearing it about the half-sister he learned about only recently.

Their shared father, a Satanist, apparently sold both their souls to the Devil's subordinates before they were born. In Book One, Nightingale, a police o
William
This being the second book in the Nightingale series, I was relieved to find it not only better than the first, Nightshade, but also darker in its own way. Stephen Leather writes this creepy series involving Satanism and demons with a detective noir feel to it. In the first novel I didn't feel it worked as well as I had hoped. In this book he nailed it. Actually, by the end of the Nightshade he was well on his way, but reading an entire novel written in this style was great.

My only criticism is
Tina Hayes
"Midnight" by Stephen Leather is a the second novel in the Nightingale Series. Jack Nightingale, former cop turned private detective, finds out he has a younger sister and that both of them were put up for adoption at birth. Their biological father was satanic, and he sold both of his children's souls to the devil. To save his sister, Jack tries desperately to track her down, but everyone connected to her turns up dead, and the police put him first on their suspect list. He turns to rituals foun ...more
Jason Sullivan
I found this book to be much more interesting and exciting than the first book Nightfall, (which I rated 3 stars). But I also found this book had the same major flaw that the first one had. It was a strong and gripping story all the way through, but then the ending felt rushed and lazy. It's like the author put all his effort into the story and then just gave up on the ending, or someone else with less skill finished the book. And what was up with Nightingale giving Prosperine a rose and perfume ...more
ADignorantium
The genius of the Jack Nightingale novels is Stephen Leather's clever mixing of genres. Jack Nightingale is a former London Police force negotiator. A series of events leads to him leaving the force and becoming a private investigator. Jack is a very Sam Spade like character, tracking unfaithful husbands, and comforting their wives.

In Nightfall, Jack learns that he has a younger sister. He must find his sister before her 32nd birthday, or she'll die.
Thus begins this second installment of Ste
Andrew Peters
Before anything else it's important to say that this is a sequel to Stephen Leather's excellent "Nightfall". You'll enjoy this book much more and have far fewer unanswered questions if you read "Nightfall" first.
The novel takes up from where the first one ended.....give or take an hour or two... and deals with Jack Nightingale's search for his sister & his attempts to save her soul from Hell (if you can't suspend your disbelief that far, you'll need to read something else.....maybe Leather's
Carrie
Wow. I thought the first one was a 3 star book. This one... not so much.

1) It was the same plot as the first one. Literally the exact same things were happening, it didn't have the creeping horror as the first. It was even a different demon he was dealing with, but everything they did was the same. Predictable.

2) Oh the casual sexism and classism. I kept getting pulled out of the story by things that belonged in the Daily Mail. Just ick.

Colin Murtagh

This was slightly disappointing, and possibly suffering from second book syndrome. It does feel like a retread of the first novel, just using different characters. There's a lot of good ideas over the two books, but there isn't the development I was hoping for. Hopefully the third book will correct this.
On the other hand it's taken me two days to read the first two books, so that says something :)
Ashley
I wanted to like this book. I really did, but it was just a drag to get through. Once again, the bits where Jack acts as a detective are good, but those scenes are few and far between this time around. Meanwhile, the book is bogged down in repetition of plot points, character actions, and dialogue. The writing itself is drawn out, detailing every single movement the characters make. The characters have inane conversations and arguments that seem to be there just to pad out the novel. The story i ...more
Evelyn
The first book in this series was a quick, fun read, but by now the repetitive characterization is a bit tedious. Yes, we know Nightingale smokes a lot of cigarettes and his assistant has a black belt in karate, knows Latin and several other languages and can probably leap tall buildings in a single bound...get on with the story already!
Diane
This a fun series. We've got some cool reoccurring characters, more of Jack's semi reckless gumshoe antics. This time it's his sister's soul on the line and Jack always has a plan. He's becoming quite good a demon dabbling. Dark, quirky. I like it. There's a lot of repeating jokes but I like it.
Chris
This second book in the Jack Nightingale series continues right where the first one left off. It starts off a bit slow with a lot of police procedures/interviews but about 25% into it the supernatural makes a big time comeback. I would have liked to see Nightingale go after the Order of the Nine Angles and head to head with Marcus Fairchild for what they did to his sister. Also the resolution with his sister was a little blah and as it turned out not really worth all the time and effort Nighting ...more
Lovers of Paranor...: [BOTM] - SERIES PICK - Midnight by Stephen Leather 20 41 Sep 01, 2014 10:15AM
  • Mercenary, (Stratton, #5)
  • Blood and Ashes (Joe Hunter, #5)
  • The Kremlin Device (Geordie Sharp, #3)
  • The Firelight of Maalda
  • Crimzon & Clover
  • Rat Run
  • Virginia Creeper
  • Generations: Book of Enlightenment (Generations Saga, #1)
  • The Gulf Conspiracy (Dr Steven Dunbar, #4)
  • A Blackbird in Silver
  • The Tenth Case (Jaywalker, #1)
Stephen Leather was a journalist for more than ten years on newspapers such as The Times, the Daily Mail and the South China Morning Post in Hong Kong. His bestsellers have been translated into more than ten languages. He has also written for television shows such as London's Burning, The Knock and the BBC's Murder in Mind series. For much of 2011 his self-published eBooks - including The Bestsell ...more
More about Stephen Leather...

Jack Nightingale (6 books)
  • Nightfall (Jack Nightingale, #1)
  • Nightmare (Jack Nightingale, #3)
  • Nightshade (Jack Nightingale, #4)
  • Lastnight
  • San Francisco Night (Jack Nightingale, #6)
Hard Landing (Dan Shepherd, #1) Nightfall (Jack Nightingale, #1) The Basement Soft Target (Dan Shepherd, #2) Nightmare (Jack Nightingale, #3)

“Jack Nightingale: "So I'm a hero?"
Supt. Chalmers: "No, Nightingale, you're an arsehole. But I can't arrest you for that.”
1 likes