Start by marking “Strip Search” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Strip Search

William Bernhardt

Strip Search (Susan Pulaski #2)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  276 ratings  ·  40 reviews
She likes the sudden seconds of sheer terror. The neon dreams fit perfectly with the dreams that wake her up at night: about the man she loved and lost, about the constant temptations in her life, and about the odds that inevitably she’ll be in the right place at the right time to look naked, human madness in the eye.

Welcome to the world of Susan Pulaski, an unconventiona
Published August 28th 2007 by Random House Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Strip Search, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strip Search

Steve
I liked Susan and Darcy's characters. I find the sexual abuse of children by parents to be more graphic thani wanted and more pervasive as a topic thani wanted to read in escape fiction.
Down to 2 stars due to the child abuse.
I do understand why he included it since it was contralto motivation.
But as a mandated reporter, I don't want my leisure reading to include it.
Sorry!!!

Welcome to the world of Susan Pulaski, an unconventional and unusually subversive Las Vegas police behaviorist who’s already
Susan
Strip Search is the 2nd book in the Susan Pulaski series by William Bernhardt. Susan is a psychologist working as a behaviorist consultant for the modern-day Las Vegas Police Department. Susan was a full-fledged officer for years until her husband's death and her alcoholic breakdown. Lead homicide detective Granger resents Susan for two reasons: he only got the lead job when she lost it, and her husband was his partner. Chief O'Bannon appreciates Susan's skill as a profiler but fears she may no ...more
Victoria
This was, I suppose, a relatively solid sequel to Dark Eye: A Novel of Suspense, but it wasn't as exciting or engaging as the first. I certainly would not recommend reading it without first reading Dark Eye: A Novel of Suspense. This set of serial murders revolves around math. I am not particularly inclined towards math, so I certainly did not catch any errata there, and found the premise to be more engaging than I would have otherwise expected. The book's main flaw fell into the realm of charac ...more
Don
This was my first William Bernhardt book, so I may give him another chance but...
This book made me yell at certain pages like some people yell at a movie screen when something completely stupid happens. It would take pages to discuss all of the problems with this book so I will just give a few of the bigger ones here.
1. The characters are not well developed. It was all but impossible to know any of the people in the book well enough to care about what happened to them along the way.
2. On a scal
Robin
This was a fast and furious suspense/thriller with elements of psychology and descrptions of gruesome mutilations (the book starts with a man getting his face “deep-fried”). This is the second in the series featuring Susan Pulaski (first one is DARK EYE), a Las Vegas police behaviorist and her sidekick, Darcy O’Bannon, an autistic savant and son of the police chief. Susan is hired to profile the killer that is targeting people who have in some way neglected a past offspring. A past alcoholic and ...more
Trudi
While this is hardly great literature, I did enjoy it. A detective procedural novel. The interesting thing here (at least to me) is the son of the chief of police. Darcy is a highly functioning autistic mathematics savant. It is through Darcy's extraordinary math abilities that his friend, Susan Pulaski, a psychologist and former detective, is able to solve a serial killer case.
Katie Spina
Susan is a typical flawed cop character, and I had a hard time not shouting at the audio book while driving because she does such stupid things. I suppose it's an indicator of a well-crafted story when it makes you react in some way. But my frustrations with this Susan not understanding basic math concepts while having a Masters degree overrode my willingness to accept her as a flawed protagonist.
Toni
Strip Search involves a homicide investigation, as seen through the eyes of two people:
Susan Pulaski, a Las Vegas police behaviorist, and Darcy O’Bannion, an autistic savant.

Part of the story is told from Darcy’s point of view, with stream-of-consciousness paragraph-long sentences in which he treats himself like a computer, forcing himself to stop and reboot on occasion when he gets so overloaded with facts that he can’t communicate. Those sections are an enlightening look at how an autistic per
Rick Ludwig
When I reviewed the first book in this series, a specific aspect of the violence described put me off. This second journey with Susan Pulaski also contained graphic violence, but this time my enjoyment of the tight story and intriguing complexity involved was in no way diminished. The characters were more vital this time around and the motivations well defined. This was a fine read. It was also exciting in a way that many books try to be, but aren't. I read it in a single sitting because I could ...more
Georgia Hollrah
Very weak plot. I didn't finish this. It was not worth the time.
Cynthisa

Definitely a weaker effort compared to Dark Eye, the first book in this series. But I simply find the Susan/Darcy dynamic really compelling -- unlike any other books out there. Plus, a good serial killer tale is always a plus. Will be interested to see where the author takes these characters on the third round -- if there is another. This second one was perillously close to repeating the first in certain key ways, so the third book will be make or break.
Diana
This book is why we should never judge a book by it's cover, or in this case it's title. My husband got this book for free and I almost didn't read it because the title made me think it was something entirely different than it turned out to be. After reading the description on the back, I was intrigued. It turned out to be a pretty good read with enough twists and turns to keep the reader interested.
Fredrick Danysh
Someone in Las Vegas is murdering and mutilating people who who have had dealings with the Department of Human Services and is leaving clues in the form of mathmathecial formulas. Alcoholic ex-police officer and now police behavioral consultan Susan Pulaski aided by autistic math salvant Darcy, who is the police chief's son, have to profile the killer beffore the number of victims mount.
Stephanie Garehan
This is a newer series created by William Bernhardt. The heroine is a recovering alcoholic, whose husband committed suicide. She is a contract employee for the Las Vegas PD and she partners with the autistic son of the police chief. It's a great story, and like the Ben Kincaide series, the characters are a likable bunch. . . the villian is very, very evil!
Swanbender2001
I wasn't impressed with this story mostly because of I got tired of the main character's fragile psyche and her dipping into drugs to deal with her demons. This made it hard to rally behind anything she did or accomplished. I doubt I will read anything more that involves her.
I did enjoy meeting the math whiz.
Lori Mason
Intriguing plot - good characters. Set in Vegas. The main ones are a sort of recovering addict and an autistic savant who are trying to stop the serial killer. Unique serial killer. Only 4 stars because it is very violent. Much more so than I remember his other books.
Bree
LOVED this book. Not what I expected, but it was better than I expected in a way. It was a bit gruesome right off the bat, but even thought it TOLD you who the killer was from the beginning, it still had you wondering what was going on.
Kay
I always like serial killer plots and this one was a quick and easy read. The problem I had was I did not like the main character, Susan. Except for Darcy, the characters were very weak.
Ricardo
It was not bad and it was interesting most of the time, but like with his previous book, I felt like the author tried to do too much with the plot and added unnecessary twists
Charly
Nov 13, 2008 Charly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
This was the first I had read by this author. Like many crime/suspense novels early on you had a sense of where it was going but how he got there was very entertaining.
Chip
Dec 30, 2007 Chip rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the TV show "Numbers"
I enjoyed the central thriller plot in this book, but wa a little distracted by the personal crises of the lead character. It seemed a little disconnected.
Eric Mann
Bernhardt delivers a good plot w/ some nice secondary characters. I would like to see the primary characters develop faster than over a couple of books.
Weak. Dried out alcoholic psychologist fails to solve crime, stays employed due to connections, exploits and endangers autistic math savant.
Caryn
It takes place in Vegas and is a murder mystery but the story has a lot of depth of plot and involves an autistic young man and Kabbalah.
Glenn
Some good parts and some drag...well written, kept me looking forward to getting back to it. Interesting how it ended but not surprised.
Audrey
A former detective now profiles for the LVPD and uses a young math savant to help her solve a serial murder.
Wendy
The discussions on Caballah were excelllent as are the passages on the complexity of asberger's syndrome.
Roxanna
Strip Search is an intense read and a great cliff-hanger. I have to say...I missed Ben Kincaid.
Wendy
Good plot but it took me awhile to get into it. I liked the book, but not one of his best.
Stuart
Calculus, kaballah, serial killing, addiction ... in a police procedural in Vegas.
  • A Killer's Kiss (Victor Carl, #7)
  • An Unquiet Grave (Louis Kincaid, #7)
  • Dreams of the Dead (Nina Reilly, #13)
  • RIPTIDE (Jake Lassiter, #11)
  • White Sister (Shane Scully, #6)
  • The Ex
  • Critical Conditions (Alan Gregory, #6)
  • What Lies in Shadow
  • Eye of Vengeance
  • Uneasy Relations (Gideon Oliver, #15)
  • Little Girls Lost (Carson Ryder, #6)
  • Cover-up
William loves his job and it shows in his writing. Library Journal has called him the "master of the courtroom drama;" his books have sold more than ten million copies worldwide. The Vancouver Sun dubbed him "the American equivalent of P.G. Wodehouse and John Mortimer." His novel Dark Eye was a psychological thriller that, in the words of bestselling author Lisa Scottoline, "will chill you while i ...more
More about William Bernhardt...
Primary Justice (Ben Kencaid, #1) Perfect Justice (Ben Kencaid, #4) Blind Justice: A Novel of Suspense (Ben Kencaid, #2) Naked Justice (Ben Kincaid, #6) Cruel Justice (Ben Kincaid, #5)