Start by marking “Write More Good: An Absolutely Phony Guide” as Want to Read:
Write More Good: An Absolutely Phony Guide

Write More Good: An Absolutely Phony Guide

Still clinging to your dog-eared dictionary? So attached to The Elements of Style that you named your rabbits Strunk and White? Maybe you’re a beleaguered reporter, or a type-A newspaper reader who unwinds by e-mailing the editor about whether “tweet” is a verb?

It’s time to face up to reality: Writing clearly, checking facts, and correcting typos are dying arts. Whether yo
Published April 5th 2011 by Three Rivers Press

To ask other readers questions about Write More Good, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Write More Good

Jeff Deck
Mar 06, 2011 Jeff Deck rated it really liked it
Write More Good is your AP Stylebook unshaven and hungover after the latest round of media layoffs. Editors, writers, and sticklers will enjoy the satire, but the poop jokes are for everyone.
Jen
Oct 11, 2011 Jen rated it liked it
This is a funny book.

It is not a serious book. It is not an educational book. It's not an eye opening book.

However, it is funny.

At times, it's almost laugh out loud funny. The downside? At times, it's the same joke over and over again. The glossary section at the end of each chapter got especially old. HA HA...it's another silly definition...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

The introduction by Roger Ebert may be the funniest section of all. He's just a hoot. If you're involved with newspapers, journalism, or an
Siskoid Albert
Jan 17, 2012 Siskoid Albert rated it it was amazing
I was following the FakeAPStyleBook on Twitter, and enjoying it, and then all these bloggers I like started shilling for Write More Good, written by the same folks. I sprang for it without realizing that a lot of those bloggers were contributors (people like Mike Sterling, Chris Sims, Dorian Wright and my inspiration, Dave Campbell)! As someone who works in media (I've been on both sides of the fence), I possibly enjoyed even more than you will (what, you're not taking my humble ...more
John
Jan 27, 2013 John rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Exhausted writers
Not for everyone. If you don't recognize scarcasm, run away. This book is for old newspaper people who realize the world in going to Hell in a Linotype machine and there is little, other than weep and commiserate with each other, we can do. But for journalists over 30, it's a must-read.
Betsy
Apr 08, 2011 Betsy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Purely hilarious. One of those books that I couldn't read after I went to bed and after Kip was asleep because I was giggling too loudly. But I think probably it's going to be the most funny for journalists.
Crystal
May 16, 2011 Crystal rated it really liked it
Reliably clever and enough of a departure from the twitter feed that spawned it to feel fresh. If you're a journalist or an avid media consumer, there's jokes in here for you!
Mark L
Apr 21, 2011 Mark L rated it it was amazing
The funniest fake journalism textbook I've ever read. Maybe the funniest book I ever read, period.
R.a. Deckert
Jan 16, 2012 R.a. Deckert rated it liked it
The AP style book was my Bible all my years in the newspaper business. Not that I actually paid much attention to it. Most of it was common sense, a lot of it arcane, and some of it verging on silly.

It used to say, for example, that all federal agencies or departments must be referred to by their full official titles the first time you wrote about them in a story. Which led to the silliness of writing "the Federal Bureau of investigation", which everyone in the world knows better as the FBI. In
Alice
May 12, 2012 Alice rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, nonfiction, 2012
I got this book as a birthday present this year. I don't think I would've bought it for myself, even if I do find the FakeAPStylebook twitter feed humorous. It was a good choice for a gift, though; I enjoyed it.

The book is far more than a compilation of funny tweets, though I did recognize several tweets within the text. They fleshed it out into sections by subject. The first is about news in general. The next few sections are about politics, entertainment, sex, religion, sport, technology, scie
Martha O.
Feb 24, 2012 Martha O. rated it did not like it
I went into my first tweet book, Write More Good by The Bureau Chiefs (aka @fakeapstylebook), with the expectation of giggles and light entertainment brought on by clever observations about the sometimes ridiculousness of English structure, grammar, and mechanics. After all I follow @fakeapstylebook on Twitter and I find their tweets generally delightful. But what I got was tired rants disguised in already worn-thin novelty that led to a boring book that I couldn't finish reading. I concluded th ...more
Dan
Apr 06, 2013 Dan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: writers, cynical journalists
I'm slightly hesitant to start this off with a snarky, "I'm in on the joke" sort of introduction on account of the recent passing of Roger Ebert, who wrote the book's forward. I will say that that forward was intelligent and witty, which should come as no surprise to anyone familiar with Ebert's writings.

As for the rest of this book... Well, in short, it's hilarious. I had kind of forgotten, in the time between acquiring the book and reading it, that Fake AP Stylebook existed, but as a reminder,
Shellie
I hate to call this a non-fiction book because so much of it is fabricated, well sorta, actually non of it is fabricated, they just don't put the right definition with the right word. It's a hilarious romp through journalism writing and in my opinion anyone who has any desire to write should read it. Just remember don't take this book, or yourself too seriously.

I think my favorite parts were the glossaries, oh my heck so funny. Really.

And maybe because I've been in such an unemployment funk, it
Beth Cato
This is a humor book for journalists. I'm a writer and an avid news reader, so I was able to enjoy much of the humor even though I've never endured the newsroom slog. I have enjoyed the posts by "the Bureau Chiefs" (aka the authors) on Facebook and knew I wanted to read their book. The wit is consistent, enough to make me smile as I read, but there were only a few times I laughed out loud.

Many of the chapters featured a glossary, and this was often my favorite part. There were definitions such a
Bob Anderson
Jun 12, 2015 Bob Anderson rated it really liked it
Though portrayed as a style guide parody, this book is actually more of a lampoon of various types of journalism through helpful advice and tidbits of misinformation. Each chapter focuses on a separate subject, from science to celebrity, and is accompanied by a glossary giving one-liner definitions of industry terms. Not all of the humor works, but each part is short enough that you’ll be at something funny before long. For my tastes, the best sections were “News & Headline Writing & You ...more
Yalonda
Aug 04, 2016 Yalonda rated it liked it
I think we acquired this book back in 2011/12 when Dave was first researching successful writing & publishing methods to assist in his novel writing. I don't think we read the smaller portion of the title...it is not a helpful writing guide at all. It is, however, a fun read. It is not a sit down and read it all at once book; I found myself getting angry like I do when I spend too much time with "people of Walmart" and reality TV. I would read a section when I had 10-15 minutes to kill & ...more
Gregory Gay
Jun 01, 2011 Gregory Gay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011, humor
An invaluable resource for aspiring journalists!

Really, it actually is useful, despite (and in some cases, because of) its tongue-in-cheek style!

I've loved The Bureau Chiefs' Fake AP Stylebook twitter feed since it first appeared on the intertubes. The book presets more of the same amazing sense of humor, except in long-form. They probably could have gotten away with just publishing a book of tweets, but they repressed that urge and actually spent some time on this little treasure trove of journ
Luna Lindsey
Apr 14, 2012 Luna Lindsey rated it liked it
Very funny book satirizing the newspaper business. I was hoping for more grammar and writing jokes, that I used to see come across the @FakeAPStyleGuide twitter account, and as implied by the title. Nevertheless, it was a great commentary on politics and the news of the last 3,000 years, broken into categories like Computers and Legal. I LOLed in a few places.

Disclaimed: I got this book for free. Won it in a Twitter contest.
Chad
Jul 26, 2016 Chad rated it liked it
I've been following @FakeAPStylebook on Twitter for a while, so I was excited to pick this one up. I'll echo the comments of Roger Ebert from the forward that it is nice that they actually published a book of new content instead of just packaging up all of their tweets. This book is funny, but I felt the joke wearing a bit thin after a while.
josh
May 26, 2012 josh rated it liked it
Recommends it for: writers, peeps who see journalism as comedic gold
Recommended to josh by: @fakeapsyleguide
Shelves: humor
a humorous bit of satirical wit targeted towards writers and journalists (aka - baristas) who have no idea that pursuing an english degree (seriously?!?!) was a REALLY bad idea.

but seriously, it was a pretty humorous book and not just a collection of tweets from @fakeapstylebook - and in today's market of books spawned by the intertubes, that's saying A LOT.
Jackie
Sep 12, 2011 Jackie rated it really liked it
An entertainingly cynical guide on how to be a print journalist in this day and age. I don't follow the FakeAPStylebook Twitter account, so I don't know how much book content is duplicated from the feed; however, it seems like almost all of it is new (since it's in longer form than Twitter snippets). A fun, light read.
Andrew Kunka
Jul 10, 2011 Andrew Kunka rated it it was amazing
Just as Helen Hunt did for Jack Nicholson in the movie As Good as It Gets, this book makes me want to be a better man.

Also, for the sake of full disclosure, I am one of the Bureau Chiefs.

Paula
Apr 01, 2013 Paula added it
Shelves: humor
Absolutely hilarious musing on the art of journalism from the guys who gave us https://twitter.com/FakeAPStylebook. Second favorite humor site to follow on Twitter after https://twitter.com/FakePewResearch.
Grayson
Jul 29, 2013 Grayson rated it it was amazing
The tone of this is very much like "The Daily Show", but for print journalists. I thought it was hysterically funny, and highlighted a number of good bits to share with friends on Facebook. Well worth reading!
Debbie
Jul 27, 2011 Debbie rated it liked it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
parts are really funny - it's like The Onion or SNL - when it's funny it really funny - laugh out loud funny - but that's not the whole book and like The Onion or SNL ...when they aren't funny ...they are kinda boring. After reading about a third of the book I found myself just skimming it.
A.E. L.
Nov 29, 2011 A.E. L. rated it really liked it
I found @FakeAPStyle on Twitter before I knew of this book. Snarky and fun. This is a great mental break for journalists and journalism students. Long live the interrobang!
Jillian
Nov 22, 2011 Jillian rated it really liked it
Short read. Laugh-out-loud funny at parts. Didn't always get all the references, so make sure you've got a PC/Smartphone nearby to look them up.
Julie
Sep 16, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it
"You are a writer, so fabricating bullshit is your job."

This book made me laugh. Thanks, Justine!
Jean
Dec 31, 2011 Jean rated it liked it
Shelves: on-writing
@FakeAPStylebook is one of the funniest Twitter feeds. Enjoyed their totally fake and sarcastic style book too.
Marie
Jul 18, 2011 Marie rated it really liked it
Very funny and well written. Fine for the lay reader but you'll enjoy it more if you've worked at a newspaper or somewhere that the use of a stylebook is required.
Tisha
Feb 27, 2012 Tisha rated it really liked it
This book was really enjoyable. I felt like I was missing a few of the jokes, though, since I'm not as up to date on pop culture as most.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Penny Arcade Volume 6: The Halls Below
  • Jewish Humor: What the Best Jewish Jokes Say About the Jews
  • Completely Mad: A History of the Comic Book and Magazine
  • The Hungry Scientist Handbook: Electric Birthday Cakes, Edible Origami, and Other DIY Projects for Techies, Tinkerers, and Foodies
  • Poplorica: A Popular History of the Fads, Mavericks, Inventions, and Lore That Shaped Modern America
  • [Citation Needed] 2: The Needening: More of The Best of Wikipedia's Worst Writing
  • Algebra: Structure and Method, Book 1
  • Top 10 Paris (DK Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • They're a Weird Mob
  • The Portable MFA in Creative Writing
  • Shine: An Anthology of Optimistic Science Fiction
  • Whiter Shades of Pale: The Stuff White People Like, Coast to Coast, from Seattle's Sweaters to Maine's Microbrews
  • The Giants Novels (Giants, #1-3)
  • The Most Dangerous Game: A Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal Collection
  • F U, Penguin: Telling Cute Animals What's What
  • Questions for the Movie Answer Man
  • Bryson's Dictionary for Writers and Editors
  • The Substance of Style: How the Rise of Aesthetic Value Is Remaking Commerce, Culture, and Consciousness

“With the development of the printing press, not only could text be mass-produced quickly, it could also be mass-produced quickly and incorrectly.” 3 likes
“If you are doing research on the Internet, never use anything in the first page of results. In order to make it seem as though you took more than ten seconds to Google the facts and figures in your article, take your information from the fifth or sixth page of Google results.” 0 likes