Write More Good: An Absolutely Phony Guide

Write More Good: An Absolutely Phony Guide

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Still clinging to your dog-eared dictionary? So attached to The Elements of Style that you named your rabbits Strunk and White? Maybe you’re a beleaguered reporter, or a type-A newspaper reader who unwinds by e-mailing the editor about whether “tweet” is a verb?

It’s time to face up to reality: Writing clearly, checking facts, and correcting typos are dying arts. Whether yo...more
Published April 5th 2011 by Three Rivers Press

5 Very Good Reasons to Punch a Dolphin in the Mouth and Other... by Matthew InmanSh*t My Dad Says by Justin HalpernDear Teen Me by E. Kristin AndersonToothpaste for Dinner by DrewStuff White People Like by Christian Lander
Best Internet Adaptations
16th out of 26 books — 20 voters
Stein On Writing by Sol SteinThe Hero With a Thousand Faces by Joseph CampbellThe Seven Basic Plots by Christopher BookerThe Anatomy of Story by John TrubyThe Writer's Journey by Christopher Vogler
Books About Story Design
8th out of 11 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeff Deck
Write More Good is your AP Stylebook unshaven and hungover after the latest round of media layoffs. Editors, writers, and sticklers will enjoy the satire, but the poop jokes are for everyone.
Jen
This is a funny book.

It is not a serious book. It is not an educational book. It's not an eye opening book.

However, it is funny.

At times, it's almost laugh out loud funny. The downside? At times, it's the same joke over and over again. The glossary section at the end of each chapter got especially old. HA HA...it's another silly definition...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

The introduction by Roger Ebert may be the funniest section of all. He's just a hoot. If you're involved with newspapers, journalism, or an...more
Siskoid Siskoid
I was following the FakeAPStyleBook on Twitter, and enjoying it, and then all these bloggers I like started shilling for Write More Good, written by the same folks. I sprang for it without realizing that a lot of those bloggers were contributors (people like Mike Sterling, Chris Sims, Dorian Wright and my inspiration, Dave Campbell)! As someone who works in media (I've been on both sides of the fence), I possibly enjoyed even more than you will (what, you're not taking my humble recommendation?)...more
John
Jan 27, 2013 John rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Exhausted writers
Not for everyone. If you don't recognize scarcasm, run away. This book is for old newspaper people who realize the world in going to Hell in a Linotype machine and there is little, other than weep and commiserate with each other, we can do. But for journalists over 30, it's a must-read.
Betsy
Purely hilarious. One of those books that I couldn't read after I went to bed and after Kip was asleep because I was giggling too loudly. But I think probably it's going to be the most funny for journalists.
Crystal
Reliably clever and enough of a departure from the twitter feed that spawned it to feel fresh. If you're a journalist or an avid media consumer, there's jokes in here for you!
Mark L
The funniest fake journalism textbook I've ever read. Maybe the funniest book I ever read, period.
R.a. Deckert
The AP style book was my Bible all my years in the newspaper business. Not that I actually paid much attention to it. Most of it was common sense, a lot of it arcane, and some of it verging on silly.

It used to say, for example, that all federal agencies or departments must be referred to by their full official titles the first time you wrote about them in a story. Which led to the silliness of writing "the Federal Bureau of investigation", which everyone in the world knows better as the FBI. In...more
Beth Cato
This is a humor book for journalists. I'm a writer and an avid news reader, so I was able to enjoy much of the humor even though I've never endured the newsroom slog. I have enjoyed the posts by "the Bureau Chiefs" (aka the authors) on Facebook and knew I wanted to read their book. The wit is consistent, enough to make me smile as I read, but there were only a few times I laughed out loud.

Many of the chapters featured a glossary, and this was often my favorite part. There were definitions such a...more
Martha O.
I went into my first tweet book, Write More Good by The Bureau Chiefs (aka @fakeapstylebook), with the expectation of giggles and light entertainment brought on by clever observations about the sometimes ridiculousness of English structure, grammar, and mechanics. After all I follow @fakeapstylebook on Twitter and I find their tweets generally delightful. But what I got was tired rants disguised in already worn-thin novelty that led to a boring book that I couldn't finish reading. I concluded th...more
Alice
I got this book as a birthday present this year. I don't think I would've bought it for myself, even if I do find the FakeAPStylebook twitter feed humorous. It was a good choice for a gift, though; I enjoyed it.

The book is far more than a compilation of funny tweets, though I did recognize several tweets within the text. They fleshed it out into sections by subject. The first is about news in general. The next few sections are about politics, entertainment, sex, religion, sport, technology, scie...more
Dan
Apr 06, 2013 Dan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: writers, cynical journalists
I'm slightly hesitant to start this off with a snarky, "I'm in on the joke" sort of introduction on account of the recent passing of Roger Ebert, who wrote the book's forward. I will say that that forward was intelligent and witty, which should come as no surprise to anyone familiar with Ebert's writings.

As for the rest of this book... Well, in short, it's hilarious. I had kind of forgotten, in the time between acquiring the book and reading it, that Fake AP Stylebook existed, but as a reminder,...more
Shellie
I hate to call this a non-fiction book because so much of it is fabricated, well sorta, actually non of it is fabricated, they just don't put the right definition with the right word. It's a hilarious romp through journalism writing and in my opinion anyone who has any desire to write should read it. Just remember don't take this book, or yourself too seriously.

I think my favorite parts were the glossaries, oh my heck so funny. Really.

And maybe because I've been in such an unemployment funk, it...more
Gregory Gay
An invaluable resource for aspiring journalists!

Really, it actually is useful, despite (and in some cases, because of) its tongue-in-cheek style!

I've loved The Bureau Chiefs' Fake AP Stylebook twitter feed since it first appeared on the intertubes. The book presets more of the same amazing sense of humor, except in long-form. They probably could have gotten away with just publishing a book of tweets, but they repressed that urge and actually spent some time on this little treasure trove of journ...more
Luna Lindsey
Very funny book satirizing the newspaper business. I was hoping for more grammar and writing jokes, that I used to see come across the @FakeAPStyleGuide twitter account, and as implied by the title. Nevertheless, it was a great commentary on politics and the news of the last 3,000 years, broken into categories like Computers and Legal. I LOLed in a few places.

Disclaimed: I got this book for free. Won it in a Twitter contest.
josh
May 26, 2012 josh rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: writers, peeps who see journalism as comedic gold
Recommended to josh by: @fakeapsyleguide
Shelves: humor
a humorous bit of satirical wit targeted towards writers and journalists (aka - baristas) who have no idea that pursuing an english degree (seriously?!?!) was a REALLY bad idea.

but seriously, it was a pretty humorous book and not just a collection of tweets from @fakeapstylebook - and in today's market of books spawned by the intertubes, that's saying A LOT.
Chad
I've been following @FakeAPStylebook on Twitter for a while, so I was excited to pick this one up. I'll echo the comments of Roger Ebert from the forward that it is nice that they actually published a book of new content instead of just packaging up all of their tweets. This book is funny, but I felt the joke wearing a bit thin after a while.
Jackie
An entertainingly cynical guide on how to be a print journalist in this day and age. I don't follow the FakeAPStylebook Twitter account, so I don't know how much book content is duplicated from the feed; however, it seems like almost all of it is new (since it's in longer form than Twitter snippets). A fun, light read.
Debbie
parts are really funny - it's like The Onion or SNL - when it's funny it really funny - laugh out loud funny - but that's not the whole book and like The Onion or SNL ...when they aren't funny ...they are kinda boring. After reading about a third of the book I found myself just skimming it.
Alex
The tone of this is very much like "The Daily Show", but for print journalists. I thought it was hysterically funny, and highlighted a number of good bits to share with friends on Facebook. Well worth reading!
Andrew Kunka
Just as Helen Hunt did for Jack Nicholson in the movie As Good as It Gets, this book makes me want to be a better man.

Also, for the sake of full disclosure, I am one of the Bureau Chiefs.

Paula
Apr 01, 2013 Paula added it
Shelves: humor
Absolutely hilarious musing on the art of journalism from the guys who gave us https://twitter.com/FakeAPStylebook. Second favorite humor site to follow on Twitter after https://twitter.com/FakePewResearch.
Joel
Apr 26, 2011 Joel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
It's ok. Kinda hard to pull off a gimmicky book like this, but I laughed out loud a few times, and it was easy to rip through. And the book is depressingly on-point most of the time.
A.E. L.
I found @FakeAPStyle on Twitter before I knew of this book. Snarky and fun. This is a great mental break for journalists and journalism students. Long live the interrobang!
Marie
Very funny and well written. Fine for the lay reader but you'll enjoy it more if you've worked at a newspaper or somewhere that the use of a stylebook is required.
Kelly
Some really funny stuff in here!! Definitely read it for the laugh factor - especially if you're fed up with the current state of news media.
Jillian
Short read. Laugh-out-loud funny at parts. Didn't always get all the references, so make sure you've got a PC/Smartphone nearby to look them up.
Tisha
This book was really enjoyable. I felt like I was missing a few of the jokes, though, since I'm not as up to date on pop culture as most.
Jean
@FakeAPStylebook is one of the funniest Twitter feeds. Enjoyed their totally fake and sarcastic style book too.
Cris
Those who enjoy puns and other forms of word play are probably the readers best suited for enjoying this book.
  • Portable MFA in Creative Writing
  • Bryson's Dictionary for Writers and Editors
  • They're a Weird Mob
  • Penny Arcade Volume 5: The Case Of The Mummy's Gold
  • F U, Penguin: Telling Cute Animals What's What
  • The Ultimate David Sedaris Audio Collection
  • Booklife: Strategies and Survival Tips for the 21st-Century Writer
  • Thanks, But This Isn't for Us: The Compassionate Guide to Understanding What's Wrong with Your Writing and Leaving the Rejection Pile for Good
  • Shine: An Anthology of Optimistic SF
  • Death Sentences: How Cliches, Weasel Words and Management-Speak Are Strangling Public Language
  • Domain-Specific Languages
  • Doing Our Own Thing: The Degradation of Language and Music and Why We Should, Like, Care
  • Police Procedure & Investigation: A Guide for Writers
  • The Wealthy Freelancer: 12 Secrets to a Great Income and an Enviable Lifestyle
  • Euphemania: Our Love Affair with Euphemisms
  • Word Myths: Debunking Linguistic Urban Legends
  • Confessions of a Freelance Penmonkey
  • The Giants Novels (Giants, #1-3)

“With the development of the printing press, not only could text be mass-produced quickly, it could also be mass-produced quickly and incorrectly.” 3 likes