Start by marking “The Mile High Club” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Mile High Club

Kinky Friedman

The Mile High Club (Kinky Friedman #13)

The Mile High Club is a novel of intrigue, irreverence, international terrorism, humor, suspense, and cross-dressing, in which the intrepid Kinky Friedman gets more than his leg pulled when he encounters a mysterious vamp on an airplane.
It all starts with a casual flirtation, two people on a flight from Dallas to New York. She is gorgeous and mysterious; he is a private
Published (first published September 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Mile High Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mile High Club

Eric_W
Jan 27, 2009 Eric_W rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Kinky, or the Kingster, as he likes to call himself is a Jewish detective who likes cats. But he only changes the litter box every seven years whether it needs it or not. So the cat will often find other places to take care of things, a situation that Kink's friends find unsettling to say the least. He finds that as cat scats age they become dried out and stiff enabling them to be collected by stabbing with a boning knife.
You're probably beginning to get the idea that this book has some humorou
Mark
Aug 27, 2010 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just started my 1st Kinky Friedman...I've always enjoyed his interviews with Imus and remember his band from the 70s "The Texas jewboys", so I picked this one up for a quick read...quirky, raunchy and funny...the plot is less impoertant than the stream of conscienceness observations of everyday life... a mysterious woman, terrorists and rhe Kinkster's band of friends move the plot, but so what!!!OK, fun read!
jill
May 25, 2008 jill rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
My dad is a big Kinky Friedman fan, but I just don't take to his voice. I forget which other Kinky Friedman book I've read, but I remember not particularly caring for it. His voice is too self-conciously quirky and stream of conciousness for my taste, and keep in mind that I really like Tom Robbins, so I feel like that's saying something. I guess I'm supposed to find his characters zany enough to ignore the barely existant plot and the non-existant resolution. But I'm not interested in any of th ...more
Phaedra
Oct 31, 2010 Phaedra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think this quote gives the potential reader a pretty good idea whether or not he'll enjoy the book:

"If you hear your own voice it may remind you that you're the most important person in the world who can call you from an airport because if you don't die trying to get out of your own way you'll never be who you always wanted to be when you grow up."

Apparently I never did enough drugs to appreciate this sort of literary ... self-stimulation.
Elisha Rodriguez
Nov 09, 2012 Elisha Rodriguez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Keeping true to his name Kinky Friedman explores the delicate balance between sex and terrorism. Ever the southern gentleman Kinky takes the reader on a wild ride wondering what will explode first the terrorist plot or a sexually frustrated Texas jewboy set adrift in the eternal never never land that is New York.
Jenny
Oct 10, 2008 Jenny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, audio
I am not generally a mystery reader, so maybe I fundamentally didn't GET this book, but there appeared to be little mystery. It was fun for the Kinkyness, but I think reading one of his later books was a mistake because there were a lot of in jokes. It is based in current time, yet most of the New York references are really dated.
Kevin
Nov 27, 2008 Kevin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Uggh. I thought I might be listening to Palin's brother/uncle/lover with his folksy doof-speak. Mickey Spillane also comes to mind and there was a reason I never read any of that. Mildly entertaining at best and I probably would give it a 3.5/10 if the scale were out of 10. The "twist" at the end made it memorable, but I won't read any more of his work.
Christian
Oct 23, 2013 Christian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is maybe the third Kinky mystery I've read and I've enjoyed each one. They are sort of a novelty and often predictable in hold the "mysteries" unfold, but Kinky is an incredibly gifted writer who peppers his prose with in-jokes aplenty and allusions abound. And nothing is better than his characterization of bon vivant/biographer Ratso Sloman.
Lena
Jan 01, 2009 Lena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: guy-reads
Kinky Friedman is always a rollicking good time! We listened to this audio book during our travels over Christmas and it kept us laughing all the way. When you quote parts of the book to each other days and weeks after you read it, you know it was good!
Marcus
Sep 03, 2008 Marcus rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not normally a big fan of detective novels, but there's something about the way Kinky writes, the way he's developed his characters...A fallible hero is the best kind. If I were a Texan, I'd have voted for him.
Thart2002
Not my style of book. The wittyness felt forced. I developed no sense of attachment to any of the characters. Can't think of anyone I would recommend this book too. On the upside, the book is pretty short and small chapters so it was an easy read.
Christine
Nov 30, 2008 Christine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads
I listened to this book on audio. The narrator was wonderful, and I am sure that added much to my enjoyment of the book. The author has a quirky sense of humour which always appeals to me. I am definitely going to check out some of his other books.
Zuzu Burford
I was a little disappointedHaving wanted to read a Kinky Friedman book for a long time. There is a leftover from the sixties that I can relate to in his writing.
Johnny B. Rempit
More like 3.5 stars. I like the style of writing. Not too serious. A fun, short read. Great for a weekend.
AnnieM
Jun 16, 2013 AnnieM rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dick Hill does a great job of walking the line of sarcasm and gritty detective.

It was fun and I can see some of my readers who would enjoy this author and his style.
Jim
Oct 07, 2007 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok. . .not great literature, but funny and raunchy. A little repetitive and really little more than a projection of Kinky's personality, but I still enjoyed it.
Jamie
Aug 21, 2014 Jamie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I usually enjoy the Kinky Friedman series, but by the end of this one, I did not care much how it was going to end! It felt a bit tired and confusing to me.
MaelleMaud
Mar 25, 2015 MaelleMaud rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: us
Lu en français.
Drôle et grinçant. Parfois philosophique. Mais surtout drôle. Du rythme, des personnages mémorables. La cerise: le Kinkster se décline en de nombreuses aventures!
Ann
Apr 21, 2008 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ann by: Deborah H.
thanks to Deborah, I became a Kinky fan... though I just can't bring myself to watch him on Bill O'Lielly on Fox News...
Chris Blasetti
Chris Blasetti rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2013
Yael Barak
Yael Barak rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2013
Ebneteru
Ebneteru rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2013
Fred Perry
Fred Perry rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2012
Hunter
Hunter rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2011
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2008
Jeanine Lafond
Jeanine Lafond rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2013
Jerry Rocha
Jerry Rocha rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2015
Lorie
Lorie rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2014
Ski
Ski rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2009
  • The Glass Highway (Amos Walker, #4)
  • Fender Benders
  • Absolute Zero Cool
  • Pearls are a Nuisance
  • KRIG!
  • One More Time: The Best of Mike Royko
  • Unconquered: The Saga of Cousins Jerry Lee Lewis, Jimmy Swaggart, and Mickey Gilley
  • WLT: A Radio Romance
  • Down in the Zero (Burke, #7)
  • Fisheye
  • The Armada Boy (Wesley Peterson, #2)
  • His Ownself: A Semi-Memoir
Richard S. "Kinky" Friedman is an American singer, songwriter, novelist, humorist, politician and former columnist for Texas Monthly who styles himself in the mold of popular American satirists Will Rogers and Mark Twain. He was one of two independent candidates in the 2006 election for the office of Governor of Texas. Receiving 12.6% of the vote, Friedman placed fourth in the six-person race.

Frie
More about Kinky Friedman...

Kinky Friedman (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Greenwich Killing Time (Kinky Friedman, #1)
  • A Case of Lone Star (Kinky Friedman, #2)
  • When the Cat's Away (Kinky Friedman, #3)
  • Frequent Flyer (Kinky Friedman, #4)
  • Musical Chairs (Kinky Friedman, #5)
  • Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola (Kinky Friedman, #6)
  • Armadillos and Old Lace (Kinky Friedman, #7)
  • God Bless John Wayne (Kinky Friedman, #8)
  • The Love Song of J. Edgar Hoover (Kinky Friedman, #9)
  • Roadkill (Kinky Friedman, #10)

“There's a fine line between fiction and non-fiction and I think I snorted it somewhere in 1979” 9 likes