Start by marking “Block Party: The Modern Quilting Bee: The Journey of 12 Women, 1 Blog & 12 Improvisational Projects” as Want to Read:

The quilting bee gets a modern makeover From the creators of popular blog, Let go of the rules with 12 fun, funky, and improvisational projects The fundamental techniques are outlined-from fabric selection to quilt tops to binding Projects are perfect for both beginner and experienced quilters It's hip to be square! In this inspiring book, quilting m ...more
Published June 16th 2011 by C&T Publishing (first published May 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Block Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Block Party

Jun 09, 2014 Nonnie rated it liked it
Shelves: modern-styling
BLOCK PARTY … a modern quilting bee
By Alissa Haight Carlton
And Kristen Lejnikes

This book has been around since 2011, but it is new to me. I got it as payment from a friend who owns a quilt shop. (Long story but off topic.)

This book is different in that it was more of a chronicle of an on line QUILTING BLOCK PARTY ( BEE.) The book discusses a yearlong project among friends. They each took turns designing quilt blocks and sending instructions and fabric to the others in the group. Once the blocks
Aug 25, 2011 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: z2011
Yay! I can't wait for my own virtual quilting bee to start in September. What a fun book and so inspiring. I love the modern take on quilting. It's opened up a whole new world for me.
Sep 12, 2011 Trish rated it it was amazing
Several of the quilts featured in this book stopped in in my tracks. It also helped me remember that I have a bevy of sewing sisters who never feel they have the time to take on a big quilting project, but like the idea of having a quilt of their own. Many of the quilts featured in this book have large patches of solid fabric, which showcase the great patterned fabric the quilting group chose. I always knew simpler designs calmed me and don't grow tiresome, but usually it is fabric, rather than ...more
Aug 08, 2013 Ciara rated it really liked it
another quilting book. this one has a bit of a gimmick, if you will. rather than just being a selection of patterns, it follows the progress of a year-long quilting bee. each of twelve quilt bloggers was assigned a month & came up with a design & some fabric that she sent to the other bee members, who then made blocks for her quilt. when she received all her blocks, she was responsible for putting together the layout, backs, binding, etc. of course this appealed to my weird obsession wit ...more
Jun 26, 2014 Bethany rated it liked it
Shelves: project-books
Great patterns- they're simple and fresh. It would be easy to change the fabric to make them more of your own style. I like the idea of a virtual quilting would be fun to get random fabric in the mail to sew!
Laurie (Kwiltreader)
Jan 10, 2015 Laurie (Kwiltreader) rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Good tips for picking colors, patterns and layouts for modern quilting. Also good info on how to conduct a Modern quilting bee.
Aug 21, 2014 Erika rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sewing, quilting
As a new quilter who prefers modern and more free-form designs I absolutely LOVE this book! Just looking at the wonderful photos of the different ways each of the quilters worked the simple block ideas in different ways has sparked some new ideas and inspired me to want to get quilting. The instructions for piecing the blocks have made some of the designs that I've seen before suddently seem so simple that I feel like I CAN tackle them. Did I mention that I love this book?
Mar 02, 2012 L L rated it liked it
Shelves: craft-and-home
Some interesting inspiration in terms of quilt ideas and quilting bee ideas. The directions for making the blocks and assembling the quilt tops are easy to follow. I only liked one or two of the quilts personally, though, so it's staying a library book for me and not something I need to purchase. The focus on each of the quilters and their personal lives/blogs, etc didn't interest me that much. It seemed at times like advertising for their blogs.
Sep 21, 2014 Susie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diy, top-ten
I love this book! Great ideas, well written, and plenty of great how-to. Great for the beginner (like me). I LOVE that they emphasize how to use scraps instead of spending tons of money on fabric! I also love that they allow for "wonky" or uneven peices. It really opens up the creativity and removes the fear of not cutting percisely.

I liked this book enough to buy it.
Mar 11, 2016 Relyn rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: quilters
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted on my library's website
I just love quilts. I don't know how - yet, but I keep reading the books. This one was fine, but not my favorite. I do think it would be a huge hit with young quilters who are interested in less traditional designs and a more collaborative approach. It's not that wonderful for quilt-dreamers in search of eye candy.
This year so many new, modern quilting focused books have hit the shelves. This is another good one.
I like that it comes from 12 women so the reader gets many points of view. May be inspirational for a new quilter who likes the modern, improvisational style that is becoming so popular.
Sep 10, 2014 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for both the experienced and beginning quilter. Everything is clearly explained. New ideas for the experienced and a good basis for the beginner.
Jul 12, 2012 Kristina rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book and all 12 quilts. I would love to make every single one. But so many quilts (and so many other craft projects), so little time.
Sep 30, 2013 Seana rated it really liked it
Shelves: quilts
Great book, 12 quilts (one for each month). Lots of great tips and instructions, but not too much beginner stuff.
Mar 24, 2012 Sherri rated it really liked it
Shelves: quilting
Nice text, nice layout, nice designs, photos, etc. Good explanation of virtual quilting bees.
Mar 14, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
I loved the quilts in this book - I just want to sew all the time and make all of them!
Jun 04, 2011 Patti rated it it was amazing
Great book. Can't wait to start using it.
Jocelynne Broderick
I love the projects these ladies made! Fun book!
Oct 27, 2012 Jeannine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sewing-quilting
Ditto my review for Sew to Swap.
Oct 20, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2012
Love this idea! Love the patterns.
Aug 21, 2012 Carey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafty
Love, love, love!
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2016
tierneycreates rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2016
melissa thompson
melissa thompson rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2016
Pamela marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Porsha marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Madison Gurd
Madison Gurd rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Paige marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Paula Dunn
Paula Dunn marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker: 12 Quilt Projects
  • Modern Log Cabin Quilting: 25 Simple Quilts and Patchwork Projects
  • Sunday Morning Quilts: 16 Modern Scrap Projects Sort, Store, and Use Every Last Bit of Your Treasured Fabrics
  • Dare to Be Square Quilting: A Block-By-Block Guide to Making Patchwork and Quilts
  • Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts
  • Denyse Schmidt: Modern Quilts, Traditional Inspiration: 20 New Designs with Historic Roots
  • Quilts from the House of Tula Pink: 20 Fabric Projects to Make, Use and Love
  • Quilting with a Modern Slant: People, Patterns, and Techniques Inspiring the Modern Quilt Community
  • Me and My Sewing Machine: A Beginner's Guide