Beyond Basketball: Coach K's Keywords for Success

Beyond Basketball: Coach K's Keywords for Success

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  282 ratings  ·  37 reviews
The Duke University men's basketball team has served as the gold standard in college athletics for well over two decades - and that's all because of the extraordinary impact of Mike Krzyzewski, the highly-respected coach of the Duke squad.

Coach K's reputation as a teacher of young men has transcended his extraordinary success as a coach. The Duke team is always ranked at t...more
Published October 10th 2006 by Business Plus

07nickc
I thought that it was a great book for people that play any sports. He seperates the chapters into certain goals that you should carry and what characteristics should be important to you. He talks about keeping friends and family close, because they will always be their to lift you up from tough situations. He also talks about being motivated in everything you do. He also talks about learning from your mistakes and getting better. He talks about what he learned from his former coach Bob Knight a...more
Isaac Branch
The reason I started reading this book was to become a better leader. I was skimming through a couple of books, and this one really caught my eye. In the book Coach K. literally spells out his formula of being a successful leader. He also breaks it down by chapter on what he thinks the keys of success, our anyone that wants to become a successful leader I think should read this book.

This book Beyond Basketball is just that. It not only teaches you about how he became a very successful coach or a...more
Matt Canalin
_Beyond Basketball_ is a book you would want to use for sports. This book is not only about basketball. It's also about words that can be used in life in life as well.
Kyle Woodhouse
First off, I'd go to war for Coach K. Especially after this book. It's a very simple read, could be read over a weekend. It touches upon single words that Coach K believes make good leaders, teachers, parents, and coaches. They are the attributes that have made Coach K arguably the greatest coach in all of sports.

It's not full of information and statistical analysis-which is a breath of fresh air from some of the other leadership focused books. I'd recommend it to someone looking for a simple r...more
Garrett Hoffman
Garrett Hoffman
Creative Writing
Miss Thompson
January 14, 2013
Book Recommendation
“Beyond Basketball” by: Mike Krzyzewksi and Jamie Spatola

Do you like winning? Well Coach K does, and this book goes in depth about the lessons that come with it. It’s not just basketball; it’s the experiences that come with basketball. “Beyond Basketball” by Mike Krzyzewski and Jamie Spatola is a kind of nonfiction book that provides inspiration and motivation to anyone that reads it. The book provides many great...more
05austink
Beyond Basketball is a book that sees past the crowd, fans, players, score, wins and losses. It is a book that Coach K wrote with his daughter, Jamie L. Spatola, to describe other things the game of basketball brings to a player or coache’s life. Coach K takes one word that means something to him, and tells a story about that word. They are stories that mean something special to him and have changed his life. These words bring emotion, happiness, and pride to Coach and the Duke Blue Devils.
I...more
Chase Hooper
Coach K is one of the most famous and successful coaches of basketball ever. In beyond basketball, he mentions a key word, that he describes. Krzyzewski, does this in a much higher level way. He uses application, evaluation, and deep understanding of these words, to go beyond just basketball. When Coach K defines words, he uses stories or examples. This allows people to relate to the definition and get inspired in a special way.

In the locker room, Mike writes a word on the board that he wants hi...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

Mike Krzyzewski is the men's basketball coach of the Duke University team. For many years, Duke's team has found itself at the top of the college basketball circuit, and it owes a lot of that success to the wisdom, discipline, and dedication of its coach.

Coach Krzyzewski knows that one sentence, beyond any other, can inspire in his players the determination to succeed: "I believe in you." In life--whether it be academics, athleticism, or anything else--knowing...more
Sam Burant
Coach K’s Motivation and Inspiration
Would you be able to handle trying to manage many different tasks at once while trying to prioritize them at the same time? In Beyond Basketball, Coach K has encountered many different challenges with his family and his team in situations that are difficult for one to go through alone. Mike Krzyzewski in Beyond Basketball, an inspirational and motivational book makes readers question the meaning of life.
Mike Krzyzewski wants to teach readers lessons about...more
Jason
Just so you know, I am a Carolina fan through and through.

However, I understand and believe that Coach K is a great coach. He is the reason Duke is on the map. To me, the only reason. But I leave that for you to decide.

Regardless, I read this book because I wanted some motivation and I have heard that he is good at giving it.

This book did not disappoint. It was a quick read. There are about 40 chapters and each chapter focuses for a few short pages on a word that Coach K believes defines lead...more
This is a great book for athletes, coaches, and anyone looking to improve themselves in life. Coach K, the winning Duke basketball coach, presents a series of chapters that each focus on a word that is important in his life and his coaching career. He explains why that word is critical to success and provides concrete examples to illustrate his point.

This would be a great book to use in a classroom. After reading a few chapters, the teacher might assign each student to identify 5 words that are...more
Myles
This book was a good and easy read. I would recommend this book to anyone who either loves Duke basketball, and or Coach K's style of coaching this book is definitely your book to read.
Chrispit
I definitely enjoyed this book a lot more than i thought i would. Ill admit the main reason I chose it was because I needed a book for my English class. However, as I read it, I was really inspired by coach K and have honestly tried to incorporate some of his life lessons into my own life. Since it would be classified as a self help or self improvement book it is set up in the very short chapter format. This kind of annoyed me at first but as i read more and more of the book I got used to it and...more
Timothy Voorhis
This book I recommend to anyone because its not just about sports. Its about Coach the best basketball coach in the world right now. He gives his own life examples to allow us to relate to key characteristics. Such as how to be a leader and how he became so successful through family and support. He always says he wouldn't be where with out his family.
Rowlak5
Coach K is a class act! This little treasure was incredibly simple but filled with stories to inspire you to live a great life. A few quotes that stuck out to me were:
1. "Belief (of others) in you does not occur naturally; you have to work for it, earn it, and continue to deserve it." 2. "The ability to develop your talent is a talent in itself." 3. Speaking about the most successful players/people he has known he says "They embraced work as the process that you go through to become exceptional...more
Jim Serger
Not just a great coach or leader, but is superb teacher. Coach "K" should be Teacher "K"-- the book is filled with great one words that he talks about, but what stands out is this book is not the end, it is his knowledge of understanding he must commit every day to get better. One verse that he hit on was he does not say "defense" or "win" -- his team says "together"-- wow what a teacher, we all can learn from a hall of fame teacher.
Mike
Greatest basketball coach of all time, Coach K. Beyond Basketball is motivational book, not just for the avid basketball fan, but for anyone looking for a self-improvement book. Its a quick, easy read, and for any basketball that is talked about he explains it in Lamen's terms so that causal fan can understand.

I'd recommend this to any businessman, leader, or someone looking for stronger conviction and better morals.
Isaac
A good read, nice essays about 40 different words having to do with leadership, commitment, teamwork, etc...Great for anyone in a team setting or just for daily life, work, family, school. Coach K is one of the best leaders I have ever seen and one of my favorite people. I got to hear him speak this Fall and that was great to hear as well, he is a great storyteller and has so much knowledge and enthusiasm.
Greg
a nice collection of stories and suggestions centered on various "keywords for success" - adaptability, commitment, excellence, integrity, trust, etc. Krzyzewski uses these words with his own teams and here communicates how various words and concepts can be used in various settings - business, home, family, etc. nothing groundbreaking, but a nice reminder.
Andrew
Great book that teaches great principles for us to apply to each and every aspect of our lives!
Katherine Hartvickson
Although I'm not a sports fan, this book is a fantastic leadership development book that shows the value of courage, strength and heart when leading any group of people who consider themselves to be a team in business and in life. I highly recommend this!
Mark
This book would be great for anyone for motivation and insight on leading and succeding in life, but if your a Duke Fan this is a must read, It's like trip down memory lane with names like Lattner,Hurley, Hill,Langdon, Wojohowski, etc.
Joe
This was an entertaining read. Not much depth, but a taste of some good stories behind some of Duke's successes. The format started to get repetitive but luckily the duration made up for it.
Staci
Just read this - a quick read. It is great for teachers - short vignettes about what certain words mean in the course of one's life - lessons about integrity and character.
Temoca
It's a quick read and even though each point ties int o basketball, as the title says it's points on how to be the best you can be and live a life you can be proud of.
Hikerdee
I enjoy a good motivational book and I appreciate Coach K's ability to tell a good story that sticks in your memory and provides power when guidance is appropriate.
Travis Coverston
Coach K is awesome. He is a great leader and mentor, and there need to be more coaches like him guiding young athletes and not just coaching the sport.
Seth
It is a good book, one that dispenses advice made more valuable because of the level of success that has come with living by the kind of standards discussed.
Patrick T. Randolph
This is a great little treasure of stories based on the notion that words are living beings that we can befriend with
limitless joy.
Artie
Fairly standard motivational/self-help/"Keys to do X" book that got bonus points (otherwise, 2.7 stars) due to my affinity for basketball.
  • Toughness: Developing True Strength On and Off the Court
  • They Call Me Coach
  • The Score Takes Care of Itself: My Philosophy of Leadership
  • Sacred Hoops: Spiritual Lessons of a Hardwood Warrior
  • The Last Great Game: Duke vs. Kentucky and the 2.1 Seconds That Changed Basketball
  • Success Is a Choice: Ten Steps to Overachieving in Business and Life
  • Eleven Seconds: A Story of Tragedy, Courage & Triumph
  • Training Camp: What the Best Do Better Than Everyone Else
  • The Winners Manual: For the Game of Life
  • The Miracle of St. Anthony: A Season with Coach Bob Hurley and Basketball's Most Improbable Dynasty
  • best food writing 2011
  • A Father First: How My Life Became Bigger Than Basketball
  • Orchard
  • The 8 Hour Diet
  • With
  • American Bee: The National Spelling Bee and the Culture of Word Nerds
  • The Wisdom of Stability: Rooting Faith in a Mobile Culture
  • The King of Sports: Football's Impact on America
Mike Krzyzewski has been the basketball coach of the Duke Blue Devils for twenty-seven years, winning three NCAA championships and twelve national Coach of the Year awards. He is revered and respected by sports fans and business leaders everywhere. Coach K. lives with his family in Durham, North Carolina.
More about Mike Krzyzewski...
Leading with the Heart: Coach K's Successful Strategies for Basketball, Business, and Life The Gold Standard: Building a World-Class Team Five-Point Play: The Story of Duke's Amazing 2000-2001 Championship Season Winning Hoops with Coach K on CD ROM Duke Basketball Series Complete Colleciton DVD