Start by marking “Beyond Basketball: Coach K's Keywords for Success” as Want to Read:
Beyond Basketball: Coach K's Keywords for Success

Beyond Basketball: Coach K's Keywords for Success

The Duke University men's basketball team has served as the gold standard in college athletics for well over two decades - and that's all because of the extraordinary impact of Mike Krzyzewski, the highly-respected coach of the Duke squad.

Coach K's reputation as a teacher of young men has transcended his extraordinary success as a coach. The Duke team is always ranked at t
Published October 10th 2006 by Business Plus (first published October 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Basketball, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Basketball

I thought that it was a great book for people that play any sports. He seperates the chapters into certain goals that you should carry and what characteristics should be important to you. He talks about keeping friends and family close, because they will always be their to lift you up from tough situations. He also talks about being motivated in everything you do. He also talks about learning from your mistakes and getting better. He talks about what he learned from his former coach Bob Knight a ...more
Matt Canalin
Nov 28, 2011 Matt Canalin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
_Beyond Basketball_ is a book you would want to use for sports. This book is not only about basketball. It's also about words that can be used in life in life as well.
Nov 22, 2015 Charlie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, Beyond Basketball: Coach K’s Keywords for Success, by Mike Krzyzewski, with Jamie K. Spatola, was a pretty short book. It was a book that gave a lot of great advice on how to live your life. To me, that was what was cool about it. Coach K’s key were what he always shares with his Duke basketball teams and makes his players live. These were all things that regular people can do every day to improve their lives and to be a better person with their families. Coach K’s philosophy in this ...more
Chase Hooper
Jan 28, 2013 Chase Hooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Coach K is one of the most famous and successful coaches of basketball ever. In beyond basketball, he mentions a key word, that he describes. Krzyzewski, does this in a much higher level way. He uses application, evaluation, and deep understanding of these words, to go beyond just basketball. When Coach K defines words, he uses stories or examples. This allows people to relate to the definition and get inspired in a special way.

In the locker room, Mike writes a word on the board that he wants hi
Garrett Hoffman
Jan 14, 2013 Garrett Hoffman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Garrett Hoffman
Creative Writing
Miss Thompson
January 14, 2013
Book Recommendation
“Beyond Basketball” by: Mike Krzyzewksi and Jamie Spatola

Do you like winning? Well Coach K does, and this book goes in depth about the lessons that come with it. It’s not just basketball; it’s the experiences that come with basketball. “Beyond Basketball” by Mike Krzyzewski and Jamie Spatola is a kind of nonfiction book that provides inspiration and motivation to anyone that reads it. The book provides many great
Sam Burant
May 02, 2013 Sam Burant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Coach K’s Motivation and Inspiration
Would you be able to handle trying to manage many different tasks at once while trying to prioritize them at the same time? In Beyond Basketball, Coach K has encountered many different challenges with his family and his team in situations that are difficult for one to go through alone. Mike Krzyzewski in Beyond Basketball, an inspirational and motivational book makes readers question the meaning of life.
Mike Krzyzewski wants to teach readers lessons about
Mar 17, 2016 Corey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beyond Basketball is a book written by Mike Krzyzewski. Mike Krzyzewski is the head coach of Duke University’s men's basketball team and is often known as Coach K. In this book, Coach K gives forty short essays centered on keywords. He uses these keywords every day to motivate, teach, and inspire his players on and off the court. By writing this book, Coach K hopes to guide the reader to success, just as he did for his players.
I personally, really liked this book. I liked this book because each
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for

Mike Krzyzewski is the men's basketball coach of the Duke University team. For many years, Duke's team has found itself at the top of the college basketball circuit, and it owes a lot of that success to the wisdom, discipline, and dedication of its coach.

Coach Krzyzewski knows that one sentence, beyond any other, can inspire in his players the determination to succeed: "I believe in you." In life--whether it be academics, athleticism, or anything else--knowing
Isaac Branch
Jan 09, 2014 Isaac Branch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The reason I started reading this book was to become a better leader. I was skimming through a couple of books, and this one really caught my eye. In the book Coach K. literally spells out his formula of being a successful leader. He also breaks it down by chapter on what he thinks the keys of success, our anyone that wants to become a successful leader I think should read this book.

This book Beyond Basketball is just that. It not only teaches you about how he became a very successful coach or a
Dec 19, 2011 05austink rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beyond Basketball is a book that sees past the crowd, fans, players, score, wins and losses. It is a book that Coach K wrote with his daughter, Jamie L. Spatola, to describe other things the game of basketball brings to a player or coache’s life. Coach K takes one word that means something to him, and tells a story about that word. They are stories that mean something special to him and have changed his life. These words bring emotion, happiness, and pride to Coach and the Duke Blue Devils.
Dec 01, 2009 Jason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Just so you know, I am a Carolina fan through and through.

However, I understand and believe that Coach K is a great coach. He is the reason Duke is on the map. To me, the only reason. But I leave that for you to decide.

Regardless, I read this book because I wanted some motivation and I have heard that he is good at giving it.

This book did not disappoint. It was a quick read. There are about 40 chapters and each chapter focuses for a few short pages on a word that Coach K believes defines lead
Tim Baumgartner
This was a very simple, but thought-provoking book by one of the greatest basketball coaches of all-time: Mike Krzyzewski (Coach K). He has coached Duke University since the 1980-81 season, along with the US Men's National Teams for almost a decade.

This book's unique approach was to take 40 words of principle (i.e. Courage, Enthusiasm, Will, etc.), explained them, and used a story to illustrate his intention. They can be used on the basketball court, in business, family, or other settings.

It ga
May 13, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for athletes, coaches, and anyone looking to improve themselves in life. Coach K, the winning Duke basketball coach, presents a series of chapters that each focus on a word that is important in his life and his coaching career. He explains why that word is critical to success and provides concrete examples to illustrate his point.

This would be a great book to use in a classroom. After reading a few chapters, the teacher might assign each student to identify 5 words that are
Oct 23, 2015 Blake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beyond Basketball Coach K’s Keywords For Success, is written by Mike Krzyzewski and Jamie K. Spatola. He has been the head coach at Duke University for 27 years and is still coaching. For Coach K some words have a special importance.These are Coach K’s keywords for success. The forty chapters are how each word impacts him and his life whatever he is doing. If he’s coaching his team, with his family, or helping around the community. This book will teach what success is and how to be successful wi ...more
May 19, 2008 Chrispit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I definitely enjoyed this book a lot more than i thought i would. Ill admit the main reason I chose it was because I needed a book for my English class. However, as I read it, I was really inspired by coach K and have honestly tried to incorporate some of his life lessons into my own life. Since it would be classified as a self help or self improvement book it is set up in the very short chapter format. This kind of annoyed me at first but as i read more and more of the book I got used to it and ...more
Jan 19, 2012 kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Coach K is a class act! This little treasure was incredibly simple but filled with stories to inspire you to live a great life. A few quotes that stuck out to me were:
1. "Belief (of others) in you does not occur naturally; you have to work for it, earn it, and continue to deserve it." 2. "The ability to develop your talent is a talent in itself." 3. Speaking about the most successful players/people he has known he says "They embraced work as the process that you go through to become exceptional
Kyle Woodhouse
Feb 19, 2014 Kyle Woodhouse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, I'd go to war for Coach K. Especially after this book. It's a very simple read, could be read over a weekend. It touches upon single words that Coach K believes make good leaders, teachers, parents, and coaches. They are the attributes that have made Coach K arguably the greatest coach in all of sports.

It's not full of information and statistical analysis-which is a breath of fresh air from some of the other leadership focused books. I'd recommend it to someone looking for a simple r
Coach K is probably the most noteworthy and succussful college and olympic basketball coach of this generation. That combined with his quiet and stable demeanor make him one of the most likable coaches to entrust your children to. The book borders on a self-improvement and shares his values and leadership skills onto those that he coaches. The only catch is that it is simple common sense and can be a little preachy if you already have taken most of what is covered to heart. An attractive part of ...more
Jul 11, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-sport
Greatest basketball coach of all time, Coach K. Beyond Basketball is motivational book, not just for the avid basketball fan, but for anyone looking for a self-improvement book. Its a quick, easy read, and for any basketball that is talked about he explains it in Lamen's terms so that causal fan can understand.

I'd recommend this to any businessman, leader, or someone looking for stronger conviction and better morals.
Jan 14, 2009 Isaac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read, nice essays about 40 different words having to do with leadership, commitment, teamwork, etc...Great for anyone in a team setting or just for daily life, work, family, school. Coach K is one of the best leaders I have ever seen and one of my favorite people. I got to hear him speak this Fall and that was great to hear as well, he is a great storyteller and has so much knowledge and enthusiasm.
Jim Serger
Nov 23, 2013 Jim Serger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not just a great coach or leader, but is superb teacher. Coach "K" should be Teacher "K"-- the book is filled with great one words that he talks about, but what stands out is this book is not the end, it is his knowledge of understanding he must commit every day to get better. One verse that he hit on was he does not say "defense" or "win" -- his team says "together"-- wow what a teacher, we all can learn from a hall of fame teacher.
Micah Smurthwaite
I expected more from Coach K. The one thing I liked about what he taught his team is that you must always make eye contact with a teammate or coach. It's how you know they're telling the truth and being vulnerable with you. A couple of other mediocre sound bytes I enjoyed were, "You outlive your darkest day" and "Winners expect to win".
Apr 14, 2010 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
a nice collection of stories and suggestions centered on various "keywords for success" - adaptability, commitment, excellence, integrity, trust, etc. Krzyzewski uses these words with his own teams and here communicates how various words and concepts can be used in various settings - business, home, family, etc. nothing groundbreaking, but a nice reminder.
Timothy Voorhis
Jan 17, 2014 Timothy Voorhis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book I recommend to anyone because its not just about sports. Its about Coach the best basketball coach in the world right now. He gives his own life examples to allow us to relate to key characteristics. Such as how to be a leader and how he became so successful through family and support. He always says he wouldn't be where with out his family.
May 14, 2008 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book would be great for anyone for motivation and insight on leading and succeding in life, but if your a Duke Fan this is a must read, It's like trip down memory lane with names like Lattner,Hurley, Hill,Langdon, Wojohowski, etc.
Katherine Hartvickson
Although I'm not a sports fan, this book is a fantastic leadership development book that shows the value of courage, strength and heart when leading any group of people who consider themselves to be a team in business and in life. I highly recommend this!
marcus miller
Nice book. Krzyzewski shares some of his coaching philosophy through the use of forty words he finds important in building a team and in life. The stories were pleasant, with tidbits from Duke basketball, Coach K's family and his life.
Feb 23, 2008 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Coach K wrote this book with his daughter. It's a simple read, with some nice stories from his coaching past.
Patrick T. Randolph
This is a great little treasure of stories based on the notion that words are living beings that we can befriend with
limitless joy.
Mar 26, 2014 Myles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a good and easy read. I would recommend this book to anyone who either loves Duke basketball, and or Coach K's style of coaching this book is definitely your book to read.
  • The Carolina Way: Leadership Lessons from a Life in Coaching
  • Toughness: Developing True Strength On and Off the Court
  • The Hoops Whisperer: On the Court and Inside the Heads of Basketball's Best Players
  • Jeremy Lin: The Reason for the Linsanity
  • Players First: Coaching from the Inside Out
  • They Call Me Coach
  • Jim Elliot (1927-1956) (Heroes of the Faith)
  • InSideOut Coaching: How Sports Can Transform Lives
  • God-Breathed: The Undeniable Power and Reliability of Scripture
  • Coach Wooden: The 7 Principles That Shaped His Life and Will Change Yours
  • Knight: My Story
  • The One-Day Contract: How to Add Value to Every Minute of Your Life
  • Blue Blood: Duke-Carolina: Inside the Most Storied Rivalry in College Hoops
  • Hard Work: A Life On and Off the Court
  • Coaching the Mental Game: Leadership Philosophies and Strategies for Peak Performance in Sports and Everyday Life
  • The Score Takes Care of Itself: My Philosophy of Leadership
  • Winning Every Day: The Game Plan for Success
  • You Win in the Locker Room First: The 7 C's to Build a Winning Team in Business, Sports, and Life
Mike Krzyzewski has been the basketball coach of the Duke Blue Devils for twenty-seven years, winning three NCAA championships and twelve national Coach of the Year awards. He is revered and respected by sports fans and business leaders everywhere. Coach K. lives with his family in Durham, North Carolina.
More about Mike Krzyzewski...