Start by marking “The Betrayed” as Want to Read:
The Betrayed

The Betrayed

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  306 ratings  ·  39 reviews
In the breathtaking follow-up to his smash debut "Dark Harbor," Hosp is back with the story of two detectives and the independent young woman who will risk everything to find her sisters killer.
Published July 5th 2006 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Betrayed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Betrayed

Baoyi
It was a fantastic read. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Definitely a page-turner - I couldn't bear to put down the book, and the twists and subplots only added to the thrill. Quirky characters (read: Antonia) that come alive and making me fall in love with them despite making an appearance for a few pages are a plus. However, after finishing the book, I find that the sense of satisfaction - or something - I always experience after reading a book missing. It wasn't that the the ending was poorly do ...more
Ed
A legal thriller I read in the hospital while recovering from surgery. I accused my wife of supplying this random paperback as a joke based on the author's name, David Hosp). Enjoyable thriller, though not particularly memorable (or perhaps that is a result of the drugs).

Legal thriller - Washington, D.C. homicide team of Darius Train and Jack Cassian investigate the brutal killing of the reporter daughter of the extremely wealthy, politically connected matriarch of the Chapin family. They are fe
Mo
I always enjoy reading books set in D.C. Settling into the dark gritty streets of the city always makes me feel like I have been transported to Gotham City and I wait to see the Dark Knight lurking around the corner. It’s my love of D.C.’s grime that drew me to The Betrayed and made it such an entertaining read that kept me engaged from beginning to end.
There was a parade of characters that marched across the pages, each unique - telling the story from their point of view. Even the bad guys had
Michael
In Washington, D.C., Sydney Chapin learns that her elder sister, a journalist, has been murdered. There are marks of torture indicating that the killer was after information.

Detective Sergeant Darius Train and Det. Jack Cassain are assigned to the case. Cassain is dealing with the emotional burden of his brother's shooting, when he was on the police force. Now his brother is non responsive in a convalescent home.

Sydney had borrowed her sister's laptop computer and she traces her sister's last se
Monique
This book was well..just okay..I must admit on reflection there were some parts I really found interesting however all together it didnt keep my interest I had hoped and there were some parts I really feel could and should have been expounded upon seriously...Okay so this book is about Sydney, the rebellious and fiercely independent youngest child of a multimillion dollar powerful family down the street literally from my current residence the political playground Washington D.C...Alright so Sydn ...more
Mary
I found this book to be a drag to read. The characters were unsophisticated, especially the heroine, and the plot lines were hackneyed and predictable. By the time I got to the end, I didn't care who the villain was, and I didn't completely finish it.
Jim Puskas
Unlike most of Hosp's books, this one doesn't feature Scott Finn and his colleagues -- in fact lawyers play no real part in the story at all. This is a straightforward crime story, with the main protagonists being a pair of cops, the criminals, the evil people who hire them, their victims and (as usual) the politicians who get in the way of solving the crimes.
I also missed the local color of Boston that pervades the Scott Finn stories, this one being set in DC.
Nevertheless, apart from a lack of
Phillipa
Blegh. This was decidedly average and you can figure out exactly who dunnit towards the end anyway. Not merely because the kill off half the cast in the process :P Not very impressive.
Duffy Pearce
I liked but didn't love this. It was clear early on who the perpetrator was to me even though it was apparently quite mind boggling to the main characters. The daughter was the most interesting character but she disappeared after the first two chapters — and the meaning of her premonition was never really explained.
James Fitzgerald
good book liked it gave it a 3 star out of 5
Jo
great author. can't wait to read more of his books.
Mhd
Not as good as Dark Harbor, but it does have its strengths. I learned something about the development of polio vaccine that I didn't know before. The last 1/3 is the best. Sometimes there is just too much description: almost every time a main character goes through a door, there will be 3 paragraphs of what the new room looks like.... The villain was very predictable, the only mysteries were how was everything else going to get tied together and how was the heroine going to escape danger one mor ...more
Emily Higgins
Sydney Capin's sister is brutally murdered. D. C. Detectives Cassain and Train are assigned to the case. Sydney feels compelled to investigate the murder as much as she can with her own resources. Soon, Sydney's life is being threatened. The list of possible suspects keeps changing. This is an intriguing story with many twists and turns. It is well worth reading.
Derk
I picked this book at random, knowing nothing about it or the author. It was an excellent read. The plot was no more inplausible than most and the main characters were distinct in voice an actions. Even the unmasking of the "evil" mastermind was OK, if somewhat predictable (although for a few pages I was starting to second guess who I though it was).
Louis
Decent story and great plot line. Not a lot of twists, but a good, decent story. A few factual errors in the first chapter about the city makeup. But then again I live in DC and the errors just stared me in the face. Other than that and a minor spelling mistake at the end, it still remains a decent read.
Marty
David Hosp is yet another lawyer turned author; however, The Betrayed is a police procedural and is the story of a detective in Washington, D.C. A young mother who is the daughter of a wealthy family is brutally murdered by someone seeking to abstract some knowledge from her. But who and why?
Mike Coy
Loved it , well formed and new enough that it had more modern feel , use of computers , cell phones etc. Plot kept me guessing through out , thought the characters were well thought out and the use of a modern city really added to the read . Will definitely be looking for more David Hosp books .
Suby
The story starts off as an old fashioned crime thriller but goes on to develop into a more complicated modern day version. A fair amount of information on eugenics is thrown in as a bonus.
This is my first book by David Hosp and I like his style of story telling.
Susan
This is my first by David Hosp and it will not be my last. Even though I found his writing sometimes melodramatic, it did not get in the way of a stelar story. It's a great plot and well told even with the underestimating of his readers.
Sherry Beaubriand
First one of his books that I have read and I found it interesting. I did figure out who the "bad guy" was but I have to admit I was second guessing myself for a few chapters.
Ashley Borgerding
This book was fun to read, great story kept my heart racing, good characters that kept your interest and made you care about what happened in their world
Carmen
David Hosp is an awesome writer. Just enough suspense (and red herrings) to make it fun, but not frustrating. Good character development, great plot!
A page
another great read from David Hosp.
Deb Mj
While it was a little bit predictable, I still enjoyed the characters a great deal. I'll be looking for more of Hosp's work.
Jill
Mystery/thriller about murder in Washington with connections that reach all the way to the White House.
Danderso
Reading this on my Kindle - I was more impressed with the first Hosp book I read - "Innocence".
Anthea
The writing is pretty terrible, but this is a nice quick adventure mystery love story.
Donna
I enjoy a good mystery and David Hosp doesn't disappoint.
John Bakalian
I enjoyed this book. Had a Law & Order feel to it.
  • Dark Homecoming
  • Even Steven
  • The Firefly
  • The Hadrian Memorandum
  • Testament
  • Patriot Games / The Hunt for Red October
  • Capitol Threat (Ben Kincaid, #15)
  • Hoax (Butch Karp, #16)
  • A Stolen Season (Alex McKnight, #7)
Dark Harbor Innocence Among Thieves Next of Kin Game of Death