Start by marking “Burn Notice: The Bad Beat (Burn Notice, #5)” as Want to Read:
Burn Notice: The Bad Beat (Burn Notice, #5)

Burn Notice: The Bad Beat (Burn Notice #5)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Michael Westen is still in Miami, trying to survive as a spy without a country. Brent Grayson is a nineteen-year-old college kid who claims to own a company that doesn't really exist. And Michael has to save Brent's father from loan sharks and fend off sinister Russian businessman who see every takeover as an opportunity to be hostile.

Published July 5th 2011 by Signet (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Burn Notice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burn Notice

Marla
Another good 'Burn Notice' book and this one in a few short lines here and there did one thing the actual show hasn't been able to do, and that's give me a reason as to why Michael's so keen on figuring out who burned him and going back to being a spy. I've always kind of agreed with Fiona when she questioned why he was so keen on pursuing his quest and this book finally gave some insight that made sense to me.
Plus this book has Sugar in it. Then, about 3/4 of the way through, brought in Barry t
John
Another fun, solid entry in the series. The story is a little weak, but, except for being a little too political, Goldberg absolutely nails the feel of the show and the voices of the characters. His writing is far better and much more clever than what you generally expect from TV show tie-in novels, and Goldberg apparently realizes that--which is possibly why this book is his Burn Notice swan song. Too bad. I would have liked to see him continue for as long as possible.
Giovanni Gelati
I had the pleasure to interview Tod Goldberg yesterday on my blogtalk radio show The G-ZONE; he was a blast! I will put the link a little further below. Now that being said, I had finished the novel a little bit ago but wanted to wait until I got a chance to listen to him before I put this out. For those of us that have enjoyed this series of novels thus far, I want to say thanks to Tod Goldberg for 5 fun reads. Sadly “The Bad Beat” is his swan song as he moves on to other projects we can look f ...more
Bill
My least favorite of the series of Burn Notice books. This one seemed shorter to me. I enjoyed the twists, even though they were somewhat predictable and I loved that I could hear Michael, Fi and Sam in my head while I read their parts. What I didn't like was how the Brent character was simply too much of a "stupid teenager" to be believable to me. I think the author went too far with that. Also, in this book the author decided to make the cast all hardcore liberal Democrats, blasting Republican ...more
Shazza Maddog
Tod Goldberg has written a fun fanfiction - er, sorry, novel - about the characters in the USA station's Burn Notice. It has pretty much everyone in the novel, including minor characters, Sugar, the drug dealer, and Barry, the money launderer.

In this particular story, Sam gets Michael (and Fiona and Maddy) involved when Sugar contacts Sam regarding a friend/client of his, Brent, and Brent's need for help with some Russians. Sugar led Sam to believe this would be an in and out proposition, but B
Jackie
I haven't - in the past - been awfully fond of books based on tv series. This particular book is noticeably different.

Mr. Goldberg captured the characters perfectly! I have been a fan of the Burn Notice series on tv since the very first episode. As I read this book (available from the library for my Nook) I could just hear the characters' voices in my head. The dialogue, the plot and the execution of the whole was absolutely spot-on. I felt like I was watching the program in my head, it was so
Lee
This Burn Notice book covers a adventure not covered by the tv series. Michael is brought in by his former drug dealing neighbor Sugar to help one of his clients who is being threatened by loan sharks attempting to collect gambling debts owned by his father and the Russian Mafia who is after a fake technological advancement that he created for a school project and used to embezzle money from them. Ok read
Elizabeth
I'm on a Burn Notice kick, so of course I enjoyed this book. It's a super quick read, and if you like the show, you'll love the books. You can hear Jeffrey Donovan's voice when you read the spy tips, and the characters are very true to the ones on the show. Fast and fun.
Mark Baker
What Sam and Michael think is a simple job of helping out a guy hounded by loan sharks becomes much more complex when they find Russian mobsters are also after the guy. While the climax felt weak, overall the book was still good.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
ladywallingford
It's not bad...for the most part, I even think the author got the characterizations right on par with the series. However, it's hard novelizing some of the aspects of the show in my opinion and it shows. I would definitely read more though.
Joel Gomes
As good as a two part episode, only it lasts longer. Excellent tie-in. Michael, Sam, Fionna and all the other character are as vivid on ink as they are on the screen. Goldberg truly delivers.
Helaine
I am a fan of the TV show so thought I would give this a try as "airport reading." Goldberg didn't disappoint--toed the TV line well. A quick read among terminal distractions.
Alison
I love these books, I feel like I'm watching an episode of the show. Only with a touch more introspection into Michael, Sam, and Fiona's thoughts.
Hazi
Good companion to the TV series. The character voices are spot on and I like getting a little extra insight into the characters.
Amanda Moore
I took a writing class from the author a few years ago and finally made a point to read one of his books. I enjoyed it!
Mary
The writing follows the same style as the show. I can hear Michael's voice as I read. It's a quick read.
Nat
Tod Goldberg writes all the characters so well that I can hear Michael, Fiona and Sam in my head!
Josh
An interesting web of people, with an odder ending than usual.
Starfire
Fun. Silly. Everything I expect from a Burn Notice book. Next!
Gillian
If you like the show, you will like the book. Easy read.
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Adarowski
Adarowski marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Devin Small
Devin Small marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Ben Stoker
Ben Stoker marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
S.E. Harmon
S.E. Harmon marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
  • Mind-altering Murder (Psych, #5)
  • Mr. Monk on the Road (Mr. Monk, #11)
  • No Angel: The Secret Life of Bernie Ecclestone
  • Headhunter (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, # 11)
  • Los espejos venecianos
  • Is That Thing Diesel?: One Man, One Bike and the First Lap Around Australia on Used Cooking Oil
  • In Extremis (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #9)
  • Alias:  Skin Deep (Prequel Series #11)
  • Nevada Rose (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #10)
  • Killing Game (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #7)
  • Alias: The Pursuit: A Michael Vaughn Novel (Prequel Series #5)
  • QF32
  • How to Survive a Killer Séance (Party Planning, #3)
  • #Self: Taming Your Inner Online Menace
  • The Measure of a Man: Twenty Attributes of A Godly Man
  • Creating Community: Five Keys to Building a Small Group Culture
Tod Goldberg is the author of the novels Living Dead Girl, a finalist for the Los Angeles Times Book Prize, Fake Liar Cheat & Burn Notice: The Fix, as well as the short story collection Simplify, winner of the Other Voices Short Story Collection Prize and a finalist for the SCBA Award in Fiction.
More about Tod Goldberg...
Burn Notice: The Fix (Burn Notice, #1) Burn Notice: The End Game (Burn Notice, #2) Burn Notice: The Giveaway (Burn Notice, #3) Fake Liar Cheat Burn Notice: The Reformed (Burn Notice, #4)

“What's your name, son?' Sam said. The man looked to be about Sam's age, but Sam always thought calling people 'son' immediately gave the air of imperial authority and opened the door for spanking if need be.” 2 likes
“There was a sweetness in my voice I found nauseating. I made a note to myself never to have children. Or at least not helpless children.” 1 likes