Start by marking “Mormon in the White House?” as Want to Read:
Mormon in the White House?

Mormon in the White House?

According to author and radio personality Hewitt, Mitt Romney-billionaire venture capitalist, consummate family man, gifted and media-savvy politician-would be unstoppable in the coming presidential race were it not for one niggling line on his resum(r): he's a Mormon. In this unashamedly partisan volume, Hewitt attempts to refute the claim that no Mormon could get elected ...more
Unknown Binding, 321 pages
Published May 14th 2014 by Not Avail (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Mormon in the White House?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mormon in the White House?

Myk
Mar 26, 2008 Myk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a brain
This is a very good book. Very informative. I felt that I got to know the Romneys. It actually made me sad that he is no longer running for president. Mitt is a financial genius. One of the most valuable things I took from this book is the bain method. If any one is interested in this look up bain & company and bain capital. I guess some people in Washington would not want Mitt as president because that would mean people that are worthless get fired and those that will actually do the job ge ...more
John
Jan 20, 2008 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: partially-read
So Hewitt may present a one-sided view, but who can't be amazed my Mitt's career and his one-of-a-kind competency and fixing organizations?
Ellis
Pre-read:
Ughhh....What did I just step in? I mean what did I just stumble into? And why do I always feel the need to soldier on through these books I enjoy so little....?

I picked up this book because of it's title. The politicization of religion and the religionization of politics is something that bothers me no end. America wasn't established as a Christian nation, it was established as a FREE nation, and the separation of church and state is essential for good church and good state. I was hop
Erin L.
Sep 12, 2007 Erin L. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in politics
A good book if you're interested in Mitt Romney. It goes into detail about his qualifications as President. The author is uber-republican and that really threw me at first, I almost didn't finish the book. I really do not like either the Republican or Democratic party particularly because it seems to be more about the party-line than the actual qualifications. Anyway, the author still brings up some valid points about Romney's success in the business world and how that could translate to a real ...more
Liz
Sep 24, 2008 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. I'm a political idiot, and I still liked it. It left me thinking that Romney could do much better than the two candidates we currently have to choose from. He has so much experience in so many things. He just seems like a solid, well-rounded guy.

It also left me feeling like although it's stupid, a Mormon couldn't be elected president. Too many people are scared of Mormon's. Hewitt outlines all the things that work against Romney because of the Mormon thing. My favorite was,
Margaret
Jan 21, 2009 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was an anti-mormon book when it came out and therefore, did not read it. After reading a very short review of it in an article about this past election I realized it's a positive view on Mitt Romney. It is about why Americans should not let a prejudice against The Church make them not take a good look at why Romney would make a great President. It is written by Hugh Hewitt, a man who has years of political and journalistic experience and has never been a member of The Church. He i ...more
Hyrum
Jan 25, 2009 Hyrum rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. An important read for anyone who wants to know more or has questions about Mitt Romney. I actually didn’t care much for Romney until I read this book and I finished it extremely impressed. Romney has had an extremely accomplished and interesting life. Hugh does a good job explaining Romney conversion to the Abortion issue. The chapters about Romney’s business accomplishments and Olympics leadership were my favorite. I also listened to the audio book of this after reading it as well. ...more
Dave
Aug 27, 2009 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, I'm about 3 years late reading this. But still - it was really interesting to learn more about Mitt's background and understand more about why/if/how Mormonism might factor into his potential performance as President. But really - it's less about Mormonism than it is about his past history and qualifications (which frankly - Hugh does a fine/unvieled job of touting).
Lin-lin
Sep 25, 2009 Lin-lin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hosted a book club on this book and it generated some good conversations about religion in politics. It's amazing how many people don't think Mormons are Christians (hence the name of our church: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints). His resume is impressive and hope he will consider running again for president.
Jonathan
I purchased this book several years ago when Mitt Romney was running for the White House. At the time I had many of the concerns documented in the book of why I did not want to vote for a Mormon for the White House.

After reading this book I have a better grasp of exactly what Mormons believe and don't believe. They definitely are not a member of main stream Christianity, but they are moral, responsible, good people as a whole. The few Mormons that I count as friends have showed the same good qua
Michael
Jun 23, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book on Mitt Romney's years of service as governor of Mass., his experience at Bain Capital (the "Bain Way") his family life, his Mormon faith, as well as why it is un-American to discriminate against a candidate for office based upon their religious views. Hugh Hewitt does an excellent job arguing that Evangelical Christians, as well as the secular news media, should consider his faith out of bounds. Why? Well, first, the Constitution states that there should not be a relig ...more
Melinda
Aug 28, 2009 Melinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A positive, uplifting book about a brilliant, ingenious businessman. It was fascinating to read of all the ways he improved Massachusetts and the Winter Olympics Committee without spending or wasting more money or resources. An inspiring story told with the flare of Hewitt.
Melanie
I only gave this book 3 stars because of the writing. It seemed a little sporadic to me. But overall was interesting and made me even more convinced that Mitt Romney needs to be our next president.
Marlyn
May 23, 2012 Marlyn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yuk! The glowing praises of the author would make you think he's Mitt's father or brother because in Hugh Hewitt's estimation, Mitt does everything right-not.
Jeff Stockett
This book was written prior to the 2008 campaign. As such, some of the information here is horribly dated. The author spends time talking about how Romney will need to beat McCain, and he focuses on some of the shortcomings of John McCain. While I agreed with a lot of it, since I'm not a John McCain fan, that information is no longer relevant. He also assumed that Hilary Clinton would be the democratic nominee, and so he talks about the matchup between her and Romney, which is also not relevant. ...more
Christopher Mills
As someone who is extremely interested in politics, I was already quite informed on Mitt Romney before reading this book. There are many reasons why I believe he would be a great president. Since I am a Mormon, I should clarify that our shared religious beliefs are not enough for me to make this statement. If anything, it has caused me to put him under the microscope a little more than the usual candidate. His fiscal experience is tremendous. He has been very successful in this area. He has the ...more
Cory
May 21, 2012 Cory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds, us-presidents
Very very conservative book. In the first couple pages it made it obvious that this would be a pro-conservative and pro-Romney book. Nothing that bothers me there though. However, the only problem with this book is it was written for the 2008 Presidential election. But I decided since I had purchased the book I would read it even if it was a little outdated. Hewitt rips apart ever other candidate and makes it seem as though Romney is the only candidate worth even considering in the Republican pr ...more
Jeff Chesen
Anyone picking up the book looking to be enlightened prior to the 2012 election should first be aware that Hugh Hewitt is an extreme conservative whose vision is frequently black or white without any shades of grey. This book was written prior to the 2008 election and Hewitt concludes that a) Mitt Romney will be the presumptive Republican candidate, and b) he will face Hillary Clinton in the general election. Hindsight shows just how flawed Hewitt's thinking was.

The book's deficiencies are glari
Kelly Philpott
I found it to be an interesting perspective of a non-LDS author on Mitt Romney's campaign for the presidency in 2008, and whether or not he would win based on his religion. I got a little lost in all of the political data and found the author to twist words a little bit when referring to the LDS church and it's members. The book actually makes me want to read Mitt Romney's "Turnaround" book because of all of the quotes and references.
Peter Wolfley
Jan 03, 2012 Peter Wolfley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always been a big fan of Mitt Romney but that was mainly because he reminded me of my dad. After reading this book I can honestly say he is the man for the job. He is a service-minded man of ability, intelligence, integrity, and charisma. He has the Midas touch, everything he gets his hands on turns to gold. Out of the current contenders for the White House this year, he is the only one who has what it will take to pull the country out of its current nose dive.

He's a real leader. The parts
Joe Meservy
Apr 17, 2012 Joe Meservy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
The first part of this is a terrific biography with close up accounts of Romney's early business days and successes. The best chapter, however, is the one entitled "Mitt Romney Defends Traditional Marriage". I found that chapter particularly strong, vibrant, and inspiring. I would encourage anyone to read that chapter because of the well balanced and very lucid writings of Romney which have been reprinted within. I liked it.

The latter part of the book including the parts regarding challenges pr
Oliver
Dec 21, 2015 Oliver rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well researched and fair to the Latter-day Saints (Hewitt writing from a not a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of LDS standpoint). Intrigued by the way influential republicans view Mormons, Hewitt exceeded my expectations. Outdated politically and so some chapters not worth reading, but the initial chapters detailing Romney's life is a fantastic, albeit short, biography.
Brian Olson
A very good book about Mitt Romney. And seeing as how he's very likely to be the next president, probably one thats worth checking out. I learned some disturbing bits about Mormonism (example: they're not Christians - they believe we are all "becoming" gods, and that Jesus was just further along the spiritual path than most of us), but aside from that, Romney looks like an extremely capable and ideal candidate. (And personally, his religion doesn't concern me: as president, his morals, ethics an ...more
Joseph
Jan 27, 2008 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hugh Hewitt is a conservative talk show host and unabashedly pro-Romney, but the book would still be a good read for anyone interested in politics. The points made about him are valid. It probably won't convince any Hillary supporters to hop the fence, but it does make a strong case for him as both the best conservative among the top-tier GOP candidates and the strongest leader among the candidates in either party.
Ray
May 28, 2011 Ray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was written in anticipation of Romney's run for the Republican nomination for President in the 2008 election, but most of what was written then is still applicable for the upcoming 2012 election. The book makes a nice case describing Romney's better points, and tries to put to rest any concerns the public may have about his religion. Worth a read to anyone pondering candidates for the 2012 nomination run.
Alycia
Sep 25, 2007 Alycia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only give it a four, because I didn't think it flowed very well. But however I think it was a great topic to write about because of religous bigotry. I am so glad that Hugh Hewitt is getting the message out to people why Mitt would make a WONDERFUL president and that his religion has nothing to do with it. Everyone vote for Mitt---and if you don't believe me read the book and you'll know why you should vote for him!!!
Clark
Jan 28, 2008 Clark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every voter
This book opened my eyes to the strength of experience Romney has as a potential President. It also shows some of the similarities and major differences in stands to the other candidates. This is a must read.

The reason I rated this only a 4 is the sentence structure is sometimes poor requiring a re-read of some sentences. A few sentences or paragraphs left me wondering what he was trying to say.
Kristen
Feb 20, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a great, completely fair look at why Mitt Romney would (have been) the perfect candidate for the 2008 Republican nomination. It is well-researched, well-written, and emphasizes the American ideal that any man should be able to worship how he chooses, and that not voting for the right man soley because of his religious affiliation would be a grave disservice to our forbears.
Anna
Oct 27, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I thought Hewitt did a great job on this book. I think that it was interesting that in the beginning he states that he wasn't sure if he was going to vote for Romney when he was writing the book. However the book seems very pro Romney. I really enjoyed the book and how Hewitt explains things just incase the reader doesn't know everything about everything.
Joyce
May 04, 2012 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, e-books
It's hard to know how to rate this since 4 years later some parts are necessarily out of date. Some sections of this book I would rate a 5, other parts a 3 but that's simply because I found some sections more personally interesting than others. I suspect most readers will respond similarly. Was it worth the read? For that I can give an unqualified "Yes!"
  • No Apology: The Case for American Greatness
  • Presidents and Prophets: The Story of America's Presidents and the LDS Church
  • Never Trust a Liberal Over Three --Especially a Republican
  • Scalia Dissents: Writings of the Supreme Court's Wittiest, Most Outspoken Justice
  • Hollywood vs. America
  • Unhinged: Exposing Liberals Gone Wild
  • Sergeant Nibley PhD: Memories of an Unlikely Screaming Eagle
  • An American Son: A Memoir
  • Immigration Wars: Forging an American Solution
  • Power to the People
  • Make a Killing on Kindle (Without Blogging, Facebook or Twitter)
  • The Final Days: The Last, Desperate Abuses of Power by the Clinton White House
  • The Mormon Way of Doing Business: Leadership and Success Through Faith and Family
  • The Constitution: A Heavenly Banner