The Wild Card

The Wild Card (Men Out of Uniform #8)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Former ranger Seth McCutcheon is a man of his word. Leave the military at the request of his dying mother? Check. Join the super-elite Ranger Security? Definitely. Provide a security detail at a high-society wedding? Hell, why not?Go undercover as the wedding planner's boyfriend? Uhh, well....

But once Seth sets eyes on sexy Penelope Hart, he knows he's a goner. If Penelope...more
Paperback, Harlequin Blaze #594, 217 pages
Published February 2011 by Harlequin

To ask other readers questions about The Wild Card, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wild Card

Silverana
Feb 26, 2013 Silverana rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: p
This is a quick, enjoyable read. But once again as I found in two other books I've read from this author, there is dialogue between characters and then a somewhat long description of their inner thoughts. It was like a pattern of dialogue thoughts dialogue thoughts and the length of the thoughts seemed to affect a steady development. It kind of took away from excitement and action that comes from dialogue between the main characters. I skipped over a few sentences in some of the inner thoughts p...more
Carrie
2.5* rounded up for goodreads.

Rhonda Nelson is a decent writer, but this felt like an abridged book, with sudden transitions, flat characters, and underdeveloped plot lines. The book starts out with promise, but detours badly with the unconvincing pseudo-suspense subplot and never really recovers. The romance wasn't convincing since little time is spent showing how it developed beyond the instant lust.

Okay for a few hours if you want a quick, sexy read with likeable main characters.
Cynthia (aka Artemis)
May 05, 2011 Cynthia (aka Artemis) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who enjoy a good story that can be read in a short amount of time.

A predictable story-line that leaves you feeling warm fuzzies nevertheless.
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Mix a man with integrity and a passion for commitment with a woman who makes running from the “C” word an art form and a reader is in for a fun read.

I have to give Ms. Nelson credit. The first chapter gave me the sniffles and it had a stranglehold on my heartstrings. It created an instantaneous need to find out what happens to the hero and I was, and there’s that word again committed, to finding out what happens to Seth McCutcheon. How is that pronounced anyway?

Seth is a decent man and life ju...more
Kim
Actually, for a romance novel, this one was pretty good. It had a nice plot. I would remember the characters of this book, but, maybe not the book itself. So, that says something.
Donna
This was a great story!!! I thought it was very nicely done. I get tired of novels in which the author belabors the "commitment phobia" of one or both of the main characters, but that did not happen in this one. Seth and Penelope's individual issues with marriage were mentioned, but not overdone. The entire romance developed very well. My only issue was that reasons behind the entire wedding sabotage premise was just too ridiculous to be believable.
Yona
I just couldn't stand Penelope. She was a full control freak - she had to know and be a part of everything, she just don't leave any space for breathing.

Seth was a great guy, but Pen just ruined the book for me.
Jamie DeBree
I am a sucker for a cautious, wounded heroine, and this book did not disappoint. The super hot, hunky, wounded hero just added to the angst and made the ending that much sweeter. Loved it. Highly recommend!
Marie Jermy
Rhonda Nelson never fails to deliver. The Wild Card, as with the other seven Men Out of Uniform books, is brilliantly written, funny and hot hot hot.
Lisa C
They're like jellybeans. You can't eat just one. Actually, I liked this one well enough to seek out others in the series.
Cecelia
Despite a level of cheese a Wisconsinite would be proud of at the beginning, I really enjoyed this book
What can I say Harlequin all the way!
Harlequin Books
Feb 09, 2013 Lea marked it as to-read
Shelves: need-to-buy
Men out of uniform - Book 8
Angala
Angala marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Dani gwizdala
Dani gwizdala marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Biba
Biba marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Melissa Francois
Melissa Francois marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Jennifer Hall
Jennifer Hall marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Angie
Angie added it
Jul 13, 2014
  • Born on the 4th of July (Includes: Men Out of Uniform, #6.5) (Harlequin Blaze, #549)
  • Terms of Surrender (Harlequin Blaze) (Uniformly Hot!, #18)
  • Her Last Line of Defense (Harlequin Blaze, #493) (Uniformly Hot!, #9)
  • Ripped!
  • Merry Christmas, Baby: It's Christmas, Cowboy! + Northern Fantasy + He'll Be Home for Christmas
  • Face-Off
  • The Braddock Boys: Colton (Braddock Boys, #4) (Love At First Bite, #7)
  • Able-Bodied (Harlequin Blaze #451) (Uniformly Hot!, #2)
  • Breaking the Rules (Harlequin Blaze) (Uniformly Hot!, #14)
  • SEALed with a Kiss (Harlequin Blaze, #589)
  • Christmas Male (Uniformly Hot!, #12)
  • Jump Start (Harlequin Blaze, #590)
  • The Right Stuff (Uniformly Hot!, #4) (Harlequin Blaze, #463)
  • Beyond His Control (Harlequin Blaze #384)
  • One Man Rush (Double Overtime, #1)
Double Dare Letters from Home (McPherson Brothers, #1) The Player The Specialist The Soldier (McPherson Brothers, #2)