Start by marking “The Doomsday Brunette” as Want to Read:
The Doomsday Brunette

The Doomsday Brunette (Zachary Nixon Johnson #2)

The hilarious sequel to "The plutonium Blonde."
In the year 2057, the last freelance private investigator, partnered with an experimental A.I. named Harv, solves cases involving androids, future tech wizards, and all sorts of mayhem...
Published February 1st 2004 by Daw Books

To ask other readers questions about The Doomsday Brunette, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Doomsday Brunette

Apr 17, 2013 Katy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Please note: I read and reviewed this book in 2007. Copying over review from Amazon.

Overview and Synopsis: Zachary Nixon Johnson is the last private eye on Earth - and he wouldn't have it any other way. When he receives a call at 3 am from Ona Thompson - the richest being on the planet - he really has no option but to do as she directs and come to her complex. There he finds her in the company of her siblings - Twoa, Threa and Fora. Of course, there is a problem - Fora is dead. This is made even
Oct 26, 2008 Johnny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pierce Watters
Recommended to Johnny by: David Wilson
Shelves: science-fiction
What can you say about a book that is dedicated to Ellery Queen, DC Comics, and MAD magazine? You can definitely state that The Doomsday Brunette is not hard science-fiction. Indeed, the only science in it is pulp magazine science or "weird science," if you will. But the novel takes place in the far-future where droids, blasters, hoverjets, and cloning are commonplace.

This novel series, more "Myth-Adventures" in science-fiction than Robert Asprin's own Phoule series, is a fabulous romp through w
Joshua Palmatier
Mar 20, 2009 Joshua Palmatier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the sequel to "The Plutonium Blonde" which I really enjoyed. The premise is that the main character is the last private detective in the world, so it's set in the future, but it has that noir detective kind of feel to it. So SF detective noir. I'd seen the books in the series on the shelf a while ago but hesitated to buy them.

I should not have hesitated. The first book rocked, and the second one does as well. It continues the adventures of Zach, with a new case, this time dealing with fo
Mar 05, 2013 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like these books
Very funny
May 25, 2013 Ines rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, laughs, mystery
Ona, Twoa, Threa and Foraa Thompson were enhanced at birth by their brilliant scientist father to become super-humans. Known as the "Quads", the famous four sisters don't get along since the death of their father, and are therefore adored by the media. The mystery starts when Ona Thompson invites her sisters for dinner and things don't go exactly as planned as Foraa ends up dead - but not before leaving an encrypted message behind. Ona hires Zach to find the killer or to at least prove her innoc ...more
Jan 28, 2016 Erika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I found this one better paced than the first, which makes sense, since it often seems that the second book in any series is better. The author has already set up the world so they can spend less time on that this go around. I did find it annoying when he kept reexplaining things from the first book, such as who was who and such, it just never seems to flow right and this book was no exception.

Overall the characters and the world they have created seemed more natural and to flow better and the st
Wing Kee
Jun 04, 2014 Wing Kee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome sequel! I thought the first book was over-the-top pulpy brilliance but this second fare is more of the same but with some interesting characters. The Quads are the highlight of the show and they are bloody fantastic:

1) The story is similar to Plutonium Blonde: Pulpy, hilarious, tongue in cheek, over-the-top SF goodness. It was a rollercoaster from start to finish and the last 1/3 of the book is batshit crazy is a fun way :)

2)Zakour's writing style and dialog is great; fun, sarcastic and
May 27, 2015 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GraphicAudio is a fantastic concept really, a throw back to the old radio dramas of the 30s and 40s, making use of modern technology to create amazingly well produced full cast audiobooks. With the right source material, it's going to be a gold idea every time.

John Zakour's series about the last Private Eye is wacky, ridiculous and hilarious - a perfect match for GraphicAudio and a stunning, highly entertaining package over all.

The twists and turns never really stop from the first page onwards,
May 09, 2009 Don rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the first Zach Johnson book years ago, when it was new. I didn't even know they made a series of novels until about a month ago. Great stuff. Doing a hard-boiled, science fiction, detective, comedic series sounds like it can be tough, but Zarkour and Ganem pull it off well.

An interesting mystery, that kind of drags in the middle. But the characters are so entertaining you hardly notice. (I think it helps that the book is a fairly short 350 pages.) Once things pick up, the book takes a to
Made DNA
Apr 26, 2009 Made DNA rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Zach Johnson, the last detective on Earth is called in to investigate the murder of a woman who is nigh invulnerable, all hell breaks loose.

Set in the near future, the Doomsday Brunette is an excellent modern-day pulp fiction novel of humor and action. This is the second novel in a series, but can be read as a stand-alone work. Perfect for light, yet enthralling reading.
Feb 25, 2012 Pete rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the pulpy, tongue-in-cheek yet "reverent" sci-fi PI story that Zakour has created. He shows respect to both genres but absolutely leaves his fingerprint on them, making something that is uniquely his own. They are always fun, often laugh out loud. The real relationships and banter between his characters makes me feel right at home.
Oct 23, 2009 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish, meh
I read and liked the first, and then got my hands on "Frost-Haired Vixen," which I didn't like. A friend said this was his favorite of the series, though, so I'm giving Zach one more try.

ETA: This just didn't hold my interest. It wasn't bad by any stretch... just not good enough.
Jul 04, 2009 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book two in a series and it is more of the same, entertaining and humorous sci-fi/detective schtick. These books will not win any pulitzer prizes but I haven't liked any of those award winning books anyway. These are fun and entertaining, what more do you need in a book?
Ugh, this was too good. I fucking adore this series. I think it's my favorite of Graphic Audio's productions that's I've listened to. Can't wait to listen to book 3
Jan 25, 2012 Maura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, scifi
A standard mystery with a Sam Spade-ish hero wrapped up in a Sci Fi B-movie. Rather fun really -- filled my airplane-fluff-reading quotient quite nicely.
Feb 24, 2009 Todd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Each of these Zachary Nixon novels leave me wanting for more! They get better and better, and Zakour's ability to dream up new and inventive "women" for Nixon to mess with - wowzer!
Aug 09, 2014 Darren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting. The noir-in-the-future shtick is getting a bit tired after two books, and I saw several of the plot twists coming. Fun climax.
Jan 05, 2011 Meg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir-fusion
So far features some of my favorite female characters in this series, and this series contains a lot of excellent women characters. What can I say? The quads are just that addicting!
Bharath Mj
Bharath Mj rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2013
Mark Bailey
Mark Bailey rated it really liked it
May 11, 2014
Bryan Brown
Bryan Brown rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2013
Michael rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2012
Jakub rated it it was ok
Nov 20, 2013
Lee rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2011
Igor Čeranić
Igor Čeranić rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2013
Smokingpen rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2008
Jpinks rated it really liked it
May 16, 2013
Brett rated it really liked it
May 22, 2015
Igor rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Ex-KOP (Juno Mozambe Mystery #2)
  • Flaming Zeppelins: The Adventures of Ned the Seal
  • The Third Lynx (Quadrail, #2)
  • Dieselpunk ePulp Showcase
  • Destroying Angel
  • The Revenant Express (Newbury and Hobbes, #5)
  • New Haven Blues (The Troubleshooter)
  • Talus and the Frozen King
  • Buried Deep (Retrieval Artist, #4)
  • Have Tech Will Travel (Starfleet Corps of Engineers Omnibus, #1)
  • Complication
  • Rats, Bats & Vats (The Rats and the Bats, #1)
  • Fools
  • Bad Prince Charlie
  • Earth Made of Glass (Giraut #2)
  • Cursed and Consulted (Wiz, #3-4)
  • Phule's Errand (Phule's Company, #6)
  • Merkabah Rider: Tales of a High Planes Drifter (Merkabah Rider, #1)
From the Author's Website

John Zakour is a humor/sf/fantasy writer with a Master's degree in Human Behavior and slowly plugging away at his Ph.D. He has written zillions (well, thousands) of gags for syndicated comics and comedians (including: Rugrats, Grimmy, Bound and Gagged, Dennis the Menace and Joan River's old TV show.) John also writes his own syndicated comic, Working Daze for United Media.
More about John Zakour...

Zachary Nixon Johnson (7 books)
  • The Plutonium Blonde
  • The Radioactive Redhead
  • The Frost-Haired Vixen
  • The Blue-Haired Bombshell
  • The Flaxen Femme Fatale
  • The Sapphire Sirens

“As a matter of fact, Ona spent more credits on the window shades alone than you will make in your entire lifetime and that’s if you live to be 185.”
“And that’s meant to make me feel better?” I said.
“No, that is meant to inform you. I am your computer not your nanny.”
“Carol, I thought you didn't liked playing with the minds of normal people.”
“Yes, but the press don't count as normal.”
“She’s got you there,” HARV added.”