Start by marking “To Beguile a Beast (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #3)” as Want to Read:
To Beguile a Beast (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #3)

To Beguile a Beast (Legend of the Four Soldiers #3)

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,864 Ratings  ·  447 Reviews
Reclusive Sir Alistair Munroe has hidden in his castle ever since returning from the Colonies, scarred inside and out. But when a mysterious beauty arrives at his door, the passions hes kept suppressed for years begin to awaken. Running from past mistakes has taken legendary beauty Helen Fitzwilliam from the luxury of the ton to a crumbling Scottish castleand a job as a ho ...more
Audiobook, OverDrive, 9 pages
Published October 27th 2010 by Blackstone Audio (first published May 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about To Beguile a Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Beguile a Beast

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)

To Beguile a Beast takes a tried and true romance theme and does it justice. In this case, the Beauty is the fugitive mistress of a powerful duke, who takes her children to start a new life, not as a kept woman, but as a legitimate housekeeper. The Beast is a naturalist who was tortured by Indians in the colonies, as the result of an ambush against British soldiers.

The writing flows and compels. The romance not only involves Helen and Alistair, but also the bond that develops between Alistair a
Duchess Nicole

The Beauty and the Beast theme always captivates me. I think the only one I like more is a Cinderella story. But there's so much to be said for a strong man who lives a tragic life until something beautiful comes along to make him live again. I think the metaphor is even more important than the ugly/pretty trope. You shouldn't live only for aesthetic beauty. There is so much more to a person than their looks. And Alistair learns that just because Helen is beautiful doesn't mean that she cares th
Julie (jjmachshev)
Apr 22, 2009 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-reads
Yet another heart-wrenching tale of a tortured (literally) hero that had me wavering between tears and smiles. Elizabeth Hoyt's latest 'Four Soldiers' tale, "To Beguile a Beast", was one of the more touching and VERY romantic stories I've read this year. My emotions are still careening about but as long as I remember the ending I can still smile.

Helen has finally made her escape from the cold and arrogant Duke of Lister. After he seduced her as a young girl and she bore him two children, she fin
Fani
Lovers of Beauty and the Beast tale, will certainly love this exceptional romance. Helen, former mistress of the Duke of Listair, has decided to leave her long-time protector taking their children away with her. But knowing how reluctant the duke is at being deprived of 'things' he believes he owns even if he doesn't care for them, she has to hide as far away from him as she can. Which brings her to Sir Alistair's remote castle in Scotland.

Sir Alistair is a naturalist. He is also one of the sur
Pamela(AllHoney)
The third book in the Legend of the Four Soldiers series by Elizabeth Hoyt. My favorite of the series so far but I've really enjoyed them all immensely. Just one more to go. This one has a beauty and the beast theme. Alistair, the hero, is not a macho alpha type. He's a scarred recluse devoting his life to research and studies. Then a lovely woman, Helen, barges into his life to be his housekeeper. This is no light fluffy romance (which I do love) but a heart-wrenching and touching romance betwe ...more
Milica's Bookshelf

Svidela mi se, nisam mogla da prestanem da čitam do poslednje strane. Zaista sam uživala u ovoj priči. Jako mi se dopalo što tema knjige vuče na "Lepotica i zver". <3 Jedino mi zasmetalo što priča nije bila malo više fokusirana na izdajnika kao prethodne, ali zato sad jedva čekam da pročitam poslednju knjigu.
Alistar je pustinjak, heroj sa ožiljcima koji živi povucenim životom, posvećen svojim istraživanjima i studijama. Onda Helen, divna žena, dolazi da mu bude domaćica.
Ovo nije lagana roman
Rane
Apr 17, 2009 Rane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: georgian-era
I loved it, it hooked me in and didn't let go until the very last page. Although, I was a little disappointed it didn't focus a little more on the traitor like the other books and Alistair trauma with living with his scars, it did show him moving on and accepting himself and Helen.
Daniella
Jul 20, 2015 Daniella rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Things were going on perfectly until Alistair called the heroine a "whore" after learning about her past. I'm sorry, but my heart just broke at that point. That was just so disrespectful and nothing in the world could make me forgive him for such cruelty. Hello? Helen had lain with ONE MAN. A MAN THAT SHE LOVED. I think that hardly qualifies as whoring.

God. How could you be so cruel, Alistair??????? Isaac from The Ice Princess handled the situation better and gave Coral her due respect. FUCK YO
Penny Watson
Oct 02, 2009 Penny Watson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cool-dogs
To Beguile A Beast by Elizabeth Hoyt

When I first read Elizabeth Hoyt's debut novel, The Raven Prince, I was amazed. The last time I read a debut novel and thought, Holy Mother, here's a new author I am already addicted to, was the book Warprize by Elizabeth Vaughan. (If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it!) The Raven Prince had a preposterous premise for the book, but nevertheless, Hoyt's writing is so fabulous that I truly didn't care. I absolutely fell in love with her "hero"- and I use
Audrey
Apr 30, 2012 Audrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
4-4.5 stars. Great "Beauty and the Beast"-themed historical romance with interesting, flawed characters and a very clever resolution to the suspense element. Really, this story was very well done, and the sexytimes were smokin' hot. As always, I loved Elizabeth Hoyt's trademark fairy tale story that unfolded over the course of the book in the chapter introductions. This book is my favorite of the Four Soldiers series thus far.

A couple of quibbles kept me from giving it five stars, but that may v
Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide
I really loved this book. It was nice to get away from your basic mundane romances with the same story lines. This was different and refreshing and not at all 'mainstream'. The hero and heroine are in their early 30's. No young first time love in this story. The hero, Alistair, is scarred, reclusive and a loner. Scarred/tortured heroes have become quite a popular genre, but many of those heroes have scars that can be covered if needed or even easily overlooked. That is not the case with Alistair ...more
Sarah MacLean
wow. elizabeth hoyt, you've done it again.
LOVED it.
Jane Stewart
Apr 08, 2012 Jane Stewart rated it really liked it
I think the audiobook might be better than the book. I adored the sex scenes.

STORY BRIEF:
Helen has been mistress to a Duke for 14 years and has two children from him. She fears he may take her children away, so she flees with the children. A friend suggests she become a housekeeper to Alistair in Scotland. Alistair was captured and tortured after a battle in the colonies. He lost an eye and his face was burned. He now lives in seclusion. He has no servants to clean and his castle looks like it.
Keri
Awesome read...and a very heartfelt one as well. Helen Fitzwilliam was a kept woman. But now that her benefactor has thrown her over as well as her two kids, she feels she needs to get away...way away. So thanks to the help of a friend she is now on her way to Scotland to become a housekeeper for a man that has no idea she is even coming. With a spooky cobwebbed filled moldy old castle Alistar needs one in the worst way.

Alistair is a man trapped by the scars on his face. Burned when he was capt
Ruth
Really, really enjoyed this one. Mistress stories are intriguing to me, but usually a bit disappointing. They always seem to imply that being a long-term kept mistress was just a matter of bonking a rich bloke every night, but, as far as I can tell, real history suggests that wasn't the case. Being a mistress about this time wasn't necessarily an awful thing to do, and there was a "career ladder" in which you could work your way up from one protector to another. Also, apparently protectors took ...more
Verity
May 03, 2009 Verity rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of spunky heroines, scarred, one-eyed heroes, reluctant master - fiery housekeeper romance
Shelves: hoyt-elizabeth
After reading TBAB’s preview in the mediocre ‘To Seduce A Sinner’, I had sky-high hopes, ‘cuz it has all the much-loved ingredients : heart-warming Beauty & the Beast theme, a brutally scarred, reclusive, naturalist hero who lives in a gloomy & dusty castle, a doggie, kids, Scotland setting, what can a gal ask for more ? Suffice it to say that none of EH’s other books have quite lived up to ‘The Raven Prince’ = EH’s ‘Gold Standard’. TBAB is a slow burner, but it fulfills its potential to ...more
Zoe
Nov 16, 2015 Zoe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great writing, without a doubt.

The lead characters are not my cup of tea. The Beauty and the Beast theme is alright. I am usually averse to a mother heroine. But the book still snatched 3 stars from me. That is no small feat. Only Elizabeth Hoyt can make me read a book featuring a mother heroine.

Alistair the hero is the beast. I was little shocked that he lashed out at Helen when he realized that she was someone's mistress and had 2 children by him. His reaction was a bit hypocritical for me.
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
Sep 14, 2015 Wollstonecrafthomegirl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hawt-sex
This is one of my favourite Hoyt's. I just re-read (having read #2 in the series for the first time a couple of days ago). It improved on a second reading. I love me an injured hero and Munroe fits the dark, brooding, scarred, Scottish bill. He's just lovely. He opens up to Helen and her children, despite being scared they'll eventually leave. He's a bit too good to be true (until the very end, when he's a bit of an idiot, but Hoyt obviously felt she needed some last minute drama). Then there's ...more
Carolyn F.
4.5 starts - Great book. Loved the relationship between Alistair and Helen. I felt so sorry for Alistair with his horrible scarring, missing eye and missing fingers. And then Helen being able to look beyond all that to the man himself and being physically attracted to him was wonderful. I'm planning on reading all four the Legends of the Four Soldiers books. Would recommend it.
Carrie
To Beguile a Beast was a very enjoyable take on the "Beauty and the Beast" fairy tale. Hoyt breaks the mold by having the heroine be a runaway mistress of a powerful duke. While the reader has sympathy for Helen, and while Helen is sorry for her poor choices, she's also a strong woman who doesn't make excuses for her past. I liked her character a great deal.

Alistair is a a great character as well. Hoyt succeeds in creating a damaged, tortured hero. In fact, one of the great strengths of this boo
TJ
Apr 14, 2010 TJ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book because Elizabeth Hoyt is a prolific writer that I have never read and decided to try. In reading the synopsis I thought the book would be about a lady running from danger, taking a job far below her as a housekeeper to keep herself safe. What I found in reading was a woman who had spent her life as a wealthy man's mistress, living a pampered life while bearing two illegitimate children. When he loses interest in her, she decides to run away with the children and start a n ...more
Terra
Jun 18, 2009 Terra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To Beguile A Beast by Elizabeth Hoyt has to be the most charming historical romance I have read in a long time. This author is new to me but not for long. I have already ordered her other books in this series and cannot wait to indulge myself in a delicious treat that has no calories. YUMM!

Helen Fitzwilliam is a woman with a mission. Having lead her adult life as a Duke's mistress she is bound and determined that she deserves better and will go to most any length to achieve this. She also wants
ChloeLeeNH
May 04, 2009 ChloeLeeNH rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: b-b
I am always a sucker for a B&B theme! I enjoyed this one and though the mystery of the Spinner Falls betrayal was definitely in the background I didn't think it took away from the series.
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Feb 13, 2011 Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance fans, Elizabeth Hoyt fans
I liked To Beguile a Beast. First off, I thought Hoyt’s writing is great! It flows seamlessly and I finished this book pretty quickly. I’m looking forward to reading more books by her!

Now on to this book...

I liked Helen but there were also times where I didn’t care for her character at all. I didn’t think she was particularly motherly to her children. She was more scared than anything, which is understandable because they’re hiding from the Duke of Lister. But towards the end, I think she found
Jacob Proffitt
Nov 11, 2013 Jacob Proffitt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, steamy
I don't normally start with the third in a series, but I got the book on loan from a friend (a signed copy, no less) so I set my scruples aside for this one. I can't say that I'm glad I did, but I do say I thoroughly enjoyed the book.

It's unfortunate that the publisher chose a title designed to invoke the Beauty and the Beast fairy tale. Yeah, the lead guy is scarred and something of a recluse (hey, if you were visibly scarred and could afford to withdraw from the staring eyes of society wouldn'
gina
Dec 16, 2012 gina rated it it was ok
Romances are just... weird. They are even weirder if you listen to them. I think that I keep reading the occasional romance as a librarian because I think I need to understand the genre when providing readers advisory to romance fans. And don't get me wrong, I've read a romance or two that I liked! But ... romances are just weird.

This one has a fairy tale subplot that goes along side the story and it doesn't really add that much to the main plot except it did raise the skill of the writer in my
Manda Collins
Excellent, excellent story. Hoyt is a gifted storyteller and this take on Beauty and the Beast is tender and funny and sexy and heartfelt. Child characters who are believable without being cutesy or cloying, and adults who (for the most part) behave like adults. Wonderful addition to "The Legend of the Four Soldiers" series.
Whitney
4 stars

This book was very good. I liked the different dynamic of the story. The chemistry between Helen and Alistair was fun to read. Overall, a great book.
Ilze
Jun 22, 2011 Ilze rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elizabeth-hoyt
Beautiful variation on the old "Beauty and the Beast" story, although this time Beauty is no innocent young girl and Alistair (the Beastly hero) has to save his Beauty and her 2 children from a rather nasty villain. Loved the 2 main characters, with all their flaws and their baggage, and how they rescued each other. The love scenes, as always in Elizabeth Hoyt's books, were amazing. The characterization of the 2 children was very, very good, especially young Abigail, who really came alive for me ...more
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
This was a really enjoyable read, sweet without being cloying, sexy without being lewd with a completely different kind of hero. Ugly, scarred and missing an eye Sir Alistair isn't your typical hero, but despite his appearance and his gruff exterior he was completely lovable. A good book and I will be reading the rest of the series.
I love this theme 9 137 May 30, 2014 11:44PM
  • Yours Until Dawn (Fairleigh Sisters, #3)
  • England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3)
  • Lord Perfect  (Carsington Brothers, #3)
  • The Many Sins Of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
  • The Spymaster's Lady (Spymasters, #1)
  • Midnight Pleasures with a Scoundrel (Scoundrels of St. James, #4)
  • Love in the Afternoon (The Hathaways, #5)
  • The Proposition
  • Surrender of a Siren (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy, #2)
  • Lord of Ice (Knight Miscellany, #3)
  • Defiant (MacKinnon's Rangers, #3)
  • His Captive Lady (Devil Riders, #2)
  • What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • And Then He Kissed Her (Girl Bachelors, #1)
  • When Beauty Tamed the Beast (Fairy Tales, #2)
  • Ruthless (The House of Rohan, #1)
  • Always a Temptress (Drake's Rakes #3)
  • Simply Love (Simply Quartet #2)
Elizabeth Hoyt is a New York Times bestselling author of historical romance. She also writes deliciously fun contemporary romance under the name Julia Harper. Elizabeth lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota with three untrained dogs and one long-suffering husband.
More about Elizabeth Hoyt...

Legend of the Four Soldiers (4 books)
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • To Seduce a Sinner (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #2)
  • To Desire a Devil (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #4)

“Sophia looked down her long nose at the girl. “Who are you?”

“I’m Abigail, ma’am,” she said, curtsying. “This is my brother, Jamie. I apologize for him.”

Sophia arched an eyebrow. “I’ll wager you do that quite a lot.”

Abigail sighed, sounding world-weary. “Yes, I do.”

“Good girl.” Sophia almost smiled. “Younger brothers can be a chore sometimes, but one must persevere.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Abigail said solemnly.

“Come on, Jamie,” Alistair said. “Let’s go into dinner before they form a Society for Bossy Older Sisters.”
11 likes
“She leaned forward, her gaze so intense that Helen wanted to look away. “And I love him more for it. Do you hear me? He was a good man when he went away to the Colonies. He came back an extraordinary man. So many think that bravery is a single act of valor in a field of battle—no forethought, no contemplation of the consequences. An act over in a second or a minute or two at most. What my brother has done, is doing now, is to live with his burden for years. He knows that he will spend the rest of his life with it. And he soldiers on.” She sat back in her chair, her gaze still locked with Helen’s. “That to my mind is what real bravery is.”

-Sophia to Helen about Alistair.”
9 likes