Rick Steves Scandinavia

Rick Steves Scandinavia

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  13 reviews
With this guide, travelers set sail to Europe's most prosperous corner -- a smörg?sbord of Viking ships, deep green fjords, stave churches, brooding castles, and colorful farmhouses. Rick explores the sleek, modern cities of Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, and Tallinn.
Published June 10th 2010 by Avalon Travel Publishing (first published 1995)

Melissa
[2009.07] Bought and brought with us on the Scandinavia portion of our Spring-Summer 2009 Europe trip. We liked the book for its walking tours of various parts of the cities and of some of the attractions. We also appreciated Helsinki and Tallinn being included in the book. Our standard use of guidebooks that we bring with us involves cutting them up into chucks, so we have less to carry in the daypack, and sometimes we leave the bits we've finished with other travelers who might find them usefu...more
Tatjana
Apr 20, 2011 Tatjana rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to be found among americans.
What the heck happened to Rick Steves?
He has so seriously gone off the "Europe through the Back Door" that Lonely Planet is more cutting edge than his stuff. If you are looking for the back door stuff of legend, you won't find any more than a lot of Americans wandering around with their noses stuck in his books.
No really. Spend the extra money and get the respective countries from Lonely Planet and you will get more information and a better/wide range of suggestions. Not only that, but he misses...more
 Becka
Aug 10, 2007 Becka rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Europhiles
Shelves: europe
Rick Steves's guides have always provided me with great, common sense (and sometimes nonsensical) suggestions for forming my travel plans. For example, the Denmark chapter in this guide recommended lodging in a private home in Copenhagen, as it is actually less expensive than a hotel and more comfy than a hostel, not to mention a much more enriching cultural experience. However, I hesitate to follow Steves's itineraries to the detail, as I recall wandering the Cinque Terre and running into horde...more
Kate
As usual, great tips for traveling as a temporary local--accommodations beyond the big box hotels, clear maps, tips on how to save $ in an expensive part of the world. I find Rick Steves' guide books to be the best for my kind of travel: moderately priced while maximizing experiences over shopping. He doesn't cover every single city and town-- he focuses on the best places for travelers and the best experiences.

Please note this refers to the edition from 2010. I think people were not so happy wi...more
Janene
I especially appreciated the self-guided tours. Using this book and a little bit of leg power, you can easily get an overall feel for little cities, skipping the tourist traps, saving time and money too. (But really looking like a tourist with your handy dandy book!) :o)

It is a good idea to get the updated books, this one was a little out of date and the prices were significantly more. Most museums in Sweden are no longer free.
Allison
I dumped this book at the Danhostel in Copenhagen after Rick's advice led me astray one too many times. (Including his advice to stay at the Danhostel - a huge place with no character.)

I enjoyed Rick Steves' guides when I was very new to traveling and went to Italy. Now I find the more comprehensive guide books (Moon, Lonely Planet) and the Internet to be better resources.
Amy
I will do almost anything Rick Steves tells me to.

However, this guidebook was not really that exciting. His maps are pretty crappy and he only recommends things he likes- he doesn't let you know what else there is to see. Plus, he wrote four pages about Oslo's national gallery, which I thought was really boring. Whatever!
Heidi
I'll wait until I return from my trip for a rating and review, but initial impressions... did not enjoy this as much as other RS books. Many of the passages were dense, boring. There is a very modest selection of recommendations for hotels and restaurants compared to western European books. We'll see....
Stephanie
these are fantastic travel books! I love that he lists the more local hotels, so you don't feel so removed from the culture you are in. I also enjoyed the walking and driving tours that he suggests. When we plan a trip to Europe, we always get one of his books.
Megan
Finland is quite lacking. He gives the most attention (in order) to Copenhagen, Norway, and Sweden... in this book, Finland is essentially Helsinki, but he does include Estonia (in the form of Tallinn), which I appreciate.
Eva
Planning our trip .. his suggestions are similar to many other books & online sources. However, the walking tours are valuable. I'll be photocopying many of these to take with us.
Hikerdee
This book has information I will use when I am in the ports of Arhus, Denmark; Oslo, Norway; and Bergen, Norway. Geiranger, Norway is not included.
Deborah Ideiosepius
Seems ok. Good basic background of Finland so far.
Alan
Bill
Bill added it
Nov 24, 2013
Kyle Brackman
Kyle Brackman marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2013
David
David added it
Aug 15, 2013
Glenn
Glenn marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2013
Sue
Sue added it
Jul 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Richard "Rick" Steves is an American author and television personality on European travel. He is the host of a public television series, and a public radio travel show, and the author of many travel guidebooks and autobiographies.
More about Rick Steves...
Rick Steves' Europe Through the Back Door 2007: The Travel Skills Handbook  Travel as a Political Act Rick Steves' Italy 2007 Rick Steves' Paris 2007 (Rick Steves' City and Regional Guides) Rick Steves' Europe 101: History and Art for the Traveler