Start by marking “The Sunset Strip Diaries” as Want to Read:
The Sunset Strip Diaries

The Sunset Strip Diaries

There comes a time in every girl's life, where she has to choose good or choose bad. Amy Asbury chose bad, hands down. Good meant wallflowers, secretaries and subservient wives. Bad meant power- and a possible escape from a life of secrets.

At twelve years old she was trying to make sense of a drug-addicted father and his disturbing behavior. By fifteen she was dealing wit
Published (first published December 21st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Sunset Strip Diaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sunset Strip Diaries

Jun 30, 2011 Kasey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick and fun read. I wish the author had included some pictures.
Sep 16, 2011 Meredith rated it did not like it
I thought this book would be interesting because I'm about the same age as the author and I grew up on 80's music.

It starts out promising. I reading about her upbringing and the issues in her family was interesting (and sad). She dealt with sexual abuse, her father's drug addiction and her mother's total lack of support and she was lonely and confused and had no one to turn to.

Once she gets into high school and starts hanging out on the Sunset Strip.. it just gets BORING. There is a lot of det
Jan 05, 2011 Shari rated it really liked it
Wow. True story that actually felt like I was in high school again, reading somebody's diary. To the point that I was cringing in some parts. Have you ever had one of those friends that you wish you could have jumped in and saved from their circumstances, but you were helpless? Gut wrenching to see what too many children have gone through at the hands of adults, and then put themselves through as a result of this pain. Plus there's all of the Hollywood nightclub scene thats just JUICY!

I should
Jan 06, 2011 Kim rated it it was amazing
Awesome memoir! I don't usually read the biographies... but I got TOTALLY sucked in to this one. The author is clever and witty. It's about this girl growing up in the san fernando valley and then finding her way to the crazy sunset strip scene in the glam rock days. She saw some crazy things with the famous rockers she was hanging out with. I actually powered through this book in one day - couldn't put it down, and even flaked on dinner plans so i could keep reading. :P
Jun 01, 2011 Kristen rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was amazing! Even if hair bands aren't your thing, this book is wildly entertaining! At times hilarious, heart-wrenching, and poignant. I devoured it in 2 days and then immediately bought the sequel!
Peppermint Twist
Wow. I couldn't put this book down. Even if you aren't interested in the hair band scene of the early 90's, this is a really entertaining book. Cat fights, wild parties, blackmail, booze and drugs and lots of 80's celebs in the background.

The first half is about a shy, Los Angeles private school girl and how she studied how to be a "babe": by watching tons of MTV videos and lots of Dynasty- it was very funny and cringe-worthy- she was very honest. After successfully transforming herself into a
Peppermint Twist

Sep 20, 2012 Heather rated it liked it

Pictures would have earned her another star I thought maybe this book was going to be a bit controversial because I couldn't find it in any library. It started out ok. Makes you want to keep reading. Had me laughing when she mentioned her perfume smelling like an old ladies crotch because i have made that reference before. AsI got toward the end i found myself scanning instead of reading. She went out and partied an then she went out and partied. She mentioned some major league rockstars she ca
Feb 13, 2015 Ashley rated it really liked it
This book chronicles the life of a confused teenage girl trying to find her way in life, and desperately wanting to become a part of the party scene on the Sunset Strip. She succeeds, and the stories of her three wild years being a popular staple on the Strip are shocking, somewhat depressing, and at some points even a little bit horrifying.

Amy’s childhood was anything but normal; her mother has completely turned her back on her and acts like she doesn’t exist and she is coping with the realizat
Sep 12, 2016 Megan rated it really liked it
Interesting read, I did like it but by the end it got to be kinda monotonous.
Holly Thompson
Not for the easily offended. If you are a mom who has just read Eat Pray Love or The Help, this might be a little much for you unless you are completely non-judgmental and, well, brave. This is a true story of a girl who had a painful life and went in search of a crowd who would accept her: The Sunset Strip in Hollywood, California. As the other reviewers have said on the Nook version, there are a lot of funny pop culture references and lots of self-deprecating humor amongst some pretty vividly ...more
Zoe Wilson
Jan 18, 2015 Zoe Wilson rated it it was amazing
Really loved this book. This is a true story of Amy's younger years on the Hollywood scene during the early '90's. It is a hard read at times as it deals with rape,abuse and attempted suicide. I would recommend this book to everyone. I cannot wait to see what happens to Amy during her next book,Conetti Covered Quicksand. Amy is a really strong person,and i would not have been able to cope with what she went through during her early years.
Shima Andre
Mar 31, 2013 Shima Andre rated it it was amazing
I read this book in about 2 days. Couldn't put it down. It's amazing how the truth is so much more interesting than fiction. You simply couldn't make this stuff up. I also read the next one, "Confetti Covered Quicksand" immediately after. Amy is a gifted writer, and I look forward to reading more of her works in the coming future. Highly recommended!
May 31, 2016 Letitia rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir
The first part of this book wasn't too bad, detailing the authors childhood and subsequent abuse and family break down.
But I quickly lost interest and found myself just skimming through the second half. It just wasn't that interesting, just name dropping and a few inane drunken incidents.
Didn't do much for me at all.
Jun 02, 2014 idied rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites
Why no pics of people like Birdie or Missy at least? I would've given this less stars but I read the sequel and gave that only 2. Without any pictures at all it just seems like a lot of this could've easily been made up. How do we know some of these characters in the book even existed? It's all a bit too mysterious.....MORE PICS!!!!!
Lisa Fisher
Jul 31, 2016 Lisa Fisher rated it liked it
Very so-so. Thought it would be more about bigger bands than it was. Quick, easy read.

Pretty mediocre and depressing. But that is her story. Debating on ready her next book. Hope its not more of the same.
Nikki Crist
May 22, 2016 Nikki Crist rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book immensely. I grew up during the same period. I loved glam rock! I found myself relating to her in so many ways. Although I didn't experience near the neglect or abuse that she endured. There were some truly cringe worthy parts for sure!
Sep 04, 2016 D'Anne rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this book as part of research I'm doing about the 80's/90's Sunset Strip hair metal scene. There's some good background here that I think will be helpful to me, but this book is not particularly well written or compelling.
Jun 27, 2011 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: memoirs
Sad story of a girl with no parental compass in here life. Written in a very amateur manner, lots of gratuitous cursing, but understanding her background, that makes sense.
Kristi rated it it was ok
Feb 06, 2016
Ashley rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Rebecca rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2014
Amy rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2014
Gina rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2013
Carrie Sims
Carrie Sims rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2015
Joannmuench Muench
Joannmuench Muench rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2014
Tara rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2014
Amy Reis
Amy Reis rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2014
Fonda jamieson
Fonda jamieson rated it did not like it
Feb 27, 2016
Crystal D Wilkinson
Crystal D Wilkinson rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Like Being Killed
  • Nerd Girl Rocks Paradise City: A True Story of Faking It in Hair Metal L.A.
  • Sleeveless
  • Rock Bottom: Dark Moments in Music Babylon
  • Callgirl: Confessions of an Ivy League Lady of Pleasure
  • Writing Los Angeles: a Literary Anthology
  • Lithium for Medea
  • Miss O'Dell: My Hard Days and Long Nights with the Beatles, the Stones, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton and the Women They Loved
  • A Legacy of Madness: Recovering My Family from Generations of Mental Illness
  • Drugs are Nice: A Post-Punk Memoir
  • An Improvised Life
  • Life on Planet Rock: From Guns N' Roses to NIRVana, a Backstage Journey Through Rock's Most Debauched Decade
  • Musical Chairs
Amy Asbury is the author of two memoirs, both of which have garnered an international following. The Sunset Strip Diaries tells of her teen years on Hollywood's most famous street, a place where musical history is made and the party never ends. The follow up book, Confetti Covered Quicksand, tells of the stark fallout from those wild years, and of her struggle to reinvent herself. Her third book i ...more
More about Amy Asbury...