Start by marking “All Is Bright” as Want to Read:
All Is Bright

All Is Bright

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  660 ratings  ·  80 reviews
AN ORIGINAL SHORT STORY FROM THE ACCLAIMED AUTHOR OF THE NOVELS THE OPPOSITE OF ME AND THE UPCOMING SKIPPING A BEAT . . .

Thirty-year-old Elise Andrews couldn’t bring herself to marry Griffin, her childhood friend turned sweetheart, so she let him walk away. Eight months after their breakup, she arrives in her hometown of Chicago on Christmas Eve and hears a voic
Published December 21st 2010 by Washington Square Press

To ask other readers questions about All Is Bright, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Is Bright

Stephanie
I obviously knew that it was a short story, but I didn’t anticipate how short it would be. Since “All is Bright” was just a few chapters, I am going to aim my review more at Sarah Pekkanen rather than her story. I am impressed how rich of a history and backdrop she could paint with so few words. Only a few pages in, I was pulled into the life of Elise, the main character. Elise exposes us to a rage of emotions that made me feel immediately sympathetic to her situations. A delightful and funny ca ...more
Caitlynn Day
This was an extremely short story, but I enjoyed it for what it was. I was feeling a little down and thought a quick read would help me feel better and this was perfect, even though this isn't the normal kind of thing I read. This short story made me smile and it was definitely a cute read.
Bella
I really enjoyed the writing style of this author and appreciated the short story format. I used to read short stories all the time in high school and college (English major), but in my adult life, I've gotten out of it. This story was perfectly done and made me want to read more from this author. I love that Kindle offers these little snippets for 99cents.
Christina Creevy
I'm giving it three stars, not because I didn't like it, but because it barely felt like a story, even a short story which is what it's billed as. It definitely wetted my appetite to read more by this author, but reading this really felt like I had just read the Kindle sample freebie.
Jacque
This was a very, very short story - more of lure to get you to read two samples of her forthcoming book. Nonetheless, it was a nice little story, and I'm sold on reading her next book. So, mission accomplished, Ms. Pekkanen.
Meredith
Great short story. Wish it was a full book, left me wanting more.
LiteraryMarie
Elise and Griffin were a couple for fifteen years, but Elise just couldn't bring herself to marry Griffin. Eight months after the childhood sweethearts broke up, Elise visits her hometown of Chicago for Christmas. She runs into a familiar person in the grocery store: Griffin's mom, Janice. After being invited for an evening of eggnog, carols and food, Elise begins a walk down memory lane. It is filled with warm memories of Griffin, but mostly of Janice's motherly ways. Elise begins to wonder if ...more
Colleen Turner
I am usually not a huge fan of short stories but when I recently got a Kindle Fire and saw how many great authors have short stories to inexpensively download I thought I should give a few a try. When Sarah Pekkanen announced on Facebook that she would be giving away her new short story, Love, Accidentally, to her fans as a Thank You I was really excited. Since All Is Bright is a prequel of sorts to Love, Accidentally I thought I would go ahead and buy it and read it first. I am SO glad I did!

Th
Judy Collins
I adore e-short stories! Sarah is a wonderful author (I just discovered with her new book “The Best of Us” (a 5 star), which I read first, so diving into reading her other previous books. (I usually start with new ones which pull me into the author and then start backwards).

Being in the online media world, front covers are a big draw as well as reading works of my favorite authors---especially with e-books, as the crisp colors are so appealing since you do not have the typical print front cover
I enjoyed this SHORT story, it gave me plenty of insight to realize I enjoy Sarah Pekkanen's writing.

This is a short story. I read Love, Accidentally before I read this short story. This short story is from Elise's point of view. The two short stories can be read together. I liked reading this from Elise's point of view.

Important to me, after reading this short story, I know I enjoy Ms. Pekkanen's writing style and will happily read other books of hers.
Julie Barrett
All is Bright by Sarah Pekkanen
What first attracted me to this book is the cover with snow and a woman just sitting enjoying the quiet of the snow falling.
Have read and enjoyed Sarah's other works.
This one is about Elsie and she's home to tend to her grandmother because her father and his new wife are traveling and it's Christmas and she doesn't want her to be alone.
Griffin and her had dated many times over the years and when they broke up she was more sorry to end it with his mother than him.
Sh
Kristel Villar
I gave this story 3 stars not because of the quality, but because of its length. I love the premise and I already expected it to be short, but I was surprised by how really, really short it was! When I reached the ending, it was like someone snatched a paperback from my hands. It would have been better if it was longer, because the connection I had with the characters was fleeting, like a stranger you met on transit. I enjoyed reading Nana and the her friends, though. Still a nice read for a fre ...more
Michaela
All is Bright was an impulse download. It was free and Christmasy so I thought why not?. This was such a great little story! There where parts I read aloud to anyone who would listen because I liked them so much. Even though this is a short story, only a few chapters, I loved the characters! I felt for Elise and her situation, I can totally relate! I got a kick out of Nana and her friends and I may heart went out the sweet Janice. I can’t say too much about the story because it’s only a few cha ...more
Hana Bilqisthi
i am shocked jakarta and indonesia mentioned :D
i like the story because i can related to main charater

my fav quotes:
I wanted him to find someone else, partly because then I wouldn’t feel so guilty, but mostly because he deserves to. So why am I conflicted about it? What’s wrong with me?
Jenny
Elise returns to her hometown for a melacholy Christmas following a recent break up with a high school sweetheart. Emotions run high in this short story. I especially enjoyed Elise's Nana and her friends at the assisted living facility.
Nikki
Very enjoyable Christmas-themed story that was not your usual holiday romance. Well-written too, which is what I expected from this author. There is a companion story from another point of view that I'll have to read as well.
Dragana
This was such a sweet, short read. Those grannies were funny.
God, I feel the love; family, friends.

And most importantly..I think I read this at the right time. I'm having a rough time as well and I am trying to figure everything out, just like the main character is. Although, who isn't right? But in this case it is the fase we have to go through when we reach that age.

Truly loved it.
Angel **Book Junkie**
I have to agree with many of the other reviewers this book is so short I am having a hard time writing anything about it. While I cannot truly, rate the book because at 34% on my Kindle, it was complete and I was going in to other stories. Moral of the story is Elise and Griff high school lovers. Elise goes home visits nana and Griff’s mom Janice. Griff has excited new. Elise wonders if she should have stayed with Griff just to remain close to the mother. (I feel like I just copied the blurb). W ...more
Dinah
This short story was too short and as such, removes the element of empathy for the character Elise. The story ended too abruptly and did not answer the questions relating to her actions in Love, Accidentally (the previous short story). The character needed further development for me to care about her emotional being and situation. For instance, what happened to her parents? Why is she so attached to Griffin's mother? What happened when she left the restaurant for a drink with Isle in the first b ...more
Jean

This story was so short,
it was shorter than an Amazon Kindle sample.
When I purchased this story,
"short story" was Not in the title.

It was well written but for the length of it,
it would be a sin not to be structurally and grammatically sound.

In addition to the story being challenged in length,
it was also Depressing.
The narrator is lamenting during the Holidays over lost love
or rather, the love who "got away" and who has "moved on".

I am not sure what I expected before reading the story
but...
Mel
Aww man. That was way too short. I was getting into it and it ended. I liked it. It was a great little story.
Read, Run, Ramble
I'm having a hard time articulating a review on this one. What content was there was good, but even for a short story it seemed...well, short. I don't read a ton of short stories, but when I do I tend to like the length and amount of story/details in those such as After Sunset by Stephen King or Ford County by John Grisham. The stories are short, but you get to know the characters a little bit. I was pleased with the end surprise though it did seem abrupt.

I thoroughly enjoyed the dinner with the
Kim Brown
I knew it was short but SHEESH!! Ha!! So what happens next...?!
Katie Q
A well written short story and a good introduction to Sarah Pekkanen.
Loretta
moving short story about accepting our decisions and making peace.
Claudia Lacoskie
cute...but very short easy read. Only took 30 minutes
Danni
I wish this would have continued.
Nicole Neitzel
I'm not really sure what to say about this one. It was a short story, which I didn't know at first. I genuinely wish that there was more to it because I think it would have made for an amazing novel. However, even with the limited words used I felt that the point of the story was well written, and I fell in love with the characters immediately. I would recommend reading it. I am intrigued to know what her other books are like now because her writing technique was so easy to follow. Amazon here I ...more
Daneen
THIS IS A SHORT STORY! Okay, perhaps you will pay attention to this; however, I did not. Boy was I disappointed. I was just getting into the story thinking about the different directions it could go; unfortunately, I was at the end of the story. It was very good and only made me want more.

I recommended this for our bookclub. I felt really silly when I realized that my offering was a short story. On the bright side, it was an easy read! :)
  • Christmas in Venice: A Short Story
  • Winter Warmers
  • The Christmas Catch (Holiday Brides #1)
  • The Deep and Snowy Wood (Christmas Picture Book)
  • The Parisian Christmas Bake Off
  • Angel Wings
  • The Sneezing Christmas Tree
  • Recalculating
  • This Heart of Mine
  • Love a la Carte (prequel to "the orchard")
  • Christmas at Copper Mountain (Copper Mountain Christmas, #4; Taming of the Sheenans, #1)
  • Squidge: Little Elf, Big Trouble
  • Greatest Clicks: A Dog Photographer's Best Shots
  • The Witches of the Blue Well: Thoughts on Writing The Winter Witch
  • 3 Days
  • Christmas Healing (Healing The Regime, #1)
  • Pinch Me
  • Loveable Christmas Angel (Angels with Attitude, #3)
2982045
"Fans of Jennifer Weiner and Emily Giffin will strongly appreciate this rising star in women's fiction." - Library Journal.
Internationally bestselling author Sarah Pekkanen's newest book is CATCHING AIR. (May 2014, Atria/Simon&Schuster). She is also the author of THE BEST OF US, THE OPPOSITE OF ME, SKIPPING A BEAT, and THESE GIRLS. Sarah's linked free short estories, published by Simon&Schuster
More about Sarah Pekkanen...
The Opposite of Me Skipping a Beat These Girls The Best of Us Catching Air