Start by marking “UnGodly: The Passions, Torments, and Murder of Atheist Mada” as Want to Read:
UnGodly: The Passions, Torments, and Murder of Atheist Mada

UnGodly: The Passions, Torments, and Murder of Atheist Mada

Obscene, belligerent, obsessive, and brilliant, the infamous and outrageous Madalyn Murray O'Hair succeeded in becoming "America's Most Hated Woman." Now award-winning journalist Ted Dracos reveals the incredible true story of the life and murder of the woman who changed the religious habits of an entire nation.

As the woman who won a longshot, landmark Supreme Court case t
Published June 15th 2010 by Free Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about UnGodly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about UnGodly

Chad
Mar 24, 2014 Chad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Until I saw this book sitting serenely on a shelf in my library, I had no idea of the full story of Madalyn Murray O'Hair. I was familiar with her name, but knew virtually nothing about her.

This book contained fascinating information about her life and accomplishments and, yes, her grisly fate. Unfortunately, the book is written by a man who couldn't get over his disdain for her and so may not have ever understood her and thus may not have accurately portrayed her to the reader. Every chance Mr.
TB
Jun 29, 2008 TB rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! No wonder she was hated! Reguardless of my religious views, she was a self serving person that thrived on confrontation.
Tom
Dec 16, 2014 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
UNGODLY is a superb account of the events in the O'Hair's lives. The book shows an UNBIASED look at these individuals despite what other reviewers have said. Most atheist reviewers will not like this book because it shows the true nasty nature of Ms. O'Hair. She was close to a criminal herself with all her tax problems. She was a hard person to like and was obnoxious beyond normal considerations. She had utter contempt for Christians and most people in general. Of course, this in no way excuses ...more
Ed
Jun 22, 2008 Ed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: theists, deists, atheists, patriots, openminded thinkers
Well-structured and well-told tale of the woman who (gasp!) ended school prayer in America! Imagine the nerve of her! Although parents can pray with their children as a family unit during any or all of the non-school hours of the day and engage in wholesome family activities and attend church together any day of the week...it seems that a few moments of communal prayer in public schools is the dealbreaker. And the person who challenged the practice (and prevailed) was demonized...and proudly wor ...more
Lily S
May 31, 2012 Lily S rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-06
The writing was terrible but the story fascinating.
Don Incognito
What the author set out to prove in this book proved difficult to identify, for reasons that may become clear. But the identifiable thesis seems to be that O'Hair—the plaintiff in the lawsuit that ultimately led to the U.S. Supreme Court striking down school prayer in 1963--was a certifiable sociopath who, while possessing genuine convictions against religion, pursued her lawsuit (and many subsequent commitments) based on personal spite. The beginning of this lifetime of spiteful attitudes and b ...more
Steve Dustcircle
Biography of the rise and fall of Mrs. Madalyn Murray O'Hair, focusing on the events leading up to, briefly through, and following her kidnapping, torture and murder.

Brutally funny lady, but known also for her sharp tongue. She was smart, sweet, conniving and scandalous. One cannot fully love her, nor can they fully hate her. Though she's adored by many and despised by many, she had a way of winning some over and repulsing others.

The book tried to be honest without being too sympathetic, but I f
Fishface
A very unusual biography, which begins with the exhumation of the bones of Madalyn Murray O'Hair and those of her son and granddaughter, after their killer showed the police where he concealed them in a clandestine grave. The subject's life was a crazy rocket ride that involved fighting City Hall, changing the law of the land, trusting all the wrong people, mistreating her friends while making countless enemies, and facing a hostile world with her head held high. The book is overall well-written ...more
Beverly
Feb 20, 2013 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-biography
Fast-paced read, reads like a novel. Back when all of this was going on, I didn't really keep up with the news about it, so this book filled in a lot of details of which I was unaware. This author was informed, did his research, and wrote a very readable book.
From Bill Murray's book, "My Life Without God" (which is quoted several times in Draco's book), I knew that Madalyn was a difficult person to live with; and Dracos reinforced that with his descriptions of her antics.
Jenettha Baines
Apr 07, 2013 Jenettha Baines rated it it was amazing
Everything I choose to read will most likely get 4 or 5 stars. If it's not interesting and doesn't catch my attention by Chapter 5, I won't continue reading it. I bought this book for $2 and passed it around several times (four) before getting it back. Each person loved it! This was a great story of Madalyn Murray O'Hair and brought a clearer insight to a woman I had only heard of and remember seeing on the Phil Donahue show. A MUST READ!
Paige
Aug 25, 2011 Paige rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
(hurricane read #3)

Too much of a biography for my taste and not enough about the actual case (to the point where I would have difficulty even calling this 'true crime.') Honestly, I was more interested in Murray's murder than Murray herself.
Shannon Burton
HOLY COW. Why had I never heard of this better-than-fiction story? The writing was a bit cliche, but the amount of information is worth putting up with it.
Annette
Annette rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2015
Dawn
Dawn rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2010
Shane Hill
Shane Hill rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2017
Don Pumphrey
Don Pumphrey rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2010
Connie
Connie rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2017
Karen Benedetto
Karen Benedetto rated it did not like it
Jan 21, 2016
Jen Wells
Jen Wells rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2012
Rory
Rory rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2009
Doug Irvine
Doug Irvine rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2012
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2014
Kyle White
Kyle White rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2010
Jenny Ashford
Jenny Ashford rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2009
Doug Irvine
Doug Irvine rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2012
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2008
Philip George
Philip George rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2009
Cherie Tanner
Cherie Tanner rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2014
Theo
Theo rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Courtney
Courtney rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2013