UnGodly: The Passions, Torments, and Murder of Atheist Mada

UnGodly: The Passions, Torments, and Murder of Atheist Mada

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Obscene, belligerent, obsessive, and brilliant, the infamous and outrageous Madalyn Murray O'Hair succeeded in becoming "America's Most Hated Woman." Now award-winning journalist Ted Dracos reveals the incredible true story of the life and murder of the woman who changed the religious habits of an entire nation.

As the woman who won a longshot, landmark Supreme Court case t...more
Published June 15th 2010 by Free Press (first published 2003)

Chad
Until I saw this book sitting serenely on a shelf in my library, I had no idea of the full story of Madalyn Murray O'Hair. I was familiar with her name, but knew virtually nothing about her.

This book contained fascinating information about her life and accomplishments and, yes, her grisly fate. Unfortunately, the book is written by a man who couldn't get over his disdain for her and so may not have ever understood her and thus may not have accurately portrayed her to the reader. Every chance Mr....more
Ed
Jun 22, 2008 Ed rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: theists, deists, atheists, patriots, openminded thinkers
Well-structured and well-told tale of the woman who (gasp!) ended school prayer in America! Imagine the nerve of her! Although parents can pray with their children as a family unit during any or all of the non-school hours of the day and engage in wholesome family activities and attend church together any day of the week...it seems that a few moments of communal prayer in public schools is the dealbreaker. And the person who challenged the practice (and prevailed) was demonized...and proudly wor...more
Steve Dustcircle
Biography of the rise and fall of Mrs. Madalyn Murray O'Hair, focusing on the events leading up to, briefly through, and following her kidnapping, torture and murder.

Brutally funny lady, but known also for her sharp tongue. She was smart, sweet, conniving and scandalous. One cannot fully love her, nor can they fully hate her. Though she's adored by many and despised by many, she had a way of winning some over and repulsing others.

The book tried to be honest without being too sympathetic, but I f...more
TB
Wow! No wonder she was hated! Reguardless of my religious views, she was a self serving person that thrived on confrontation.
Lily S
The writing was terrible but the story fascinating.
Don Incognito
What the author set out to prove in this book proved difficult to identify, for reasons that may become clear. But the identifiable thesis seems to be that O'Hair—the plaintiff in the lawsuit that ultimately led to the U.S. Supreme Court striking down school prayer in 1963--was a certifiable sociopath who, while possessing genuine convictions against religion, pursued her lawsuit (and many subsequent commitments) based on personal spite. The beginning of this lifetime of spiteful attitudes and b...more
Beverly
Fast-paced read, reads like a novel. Back when all of this was going on, I didn't really keep up with the news about it, so this book filled in a lot of details of which I was unaware. This author was informed, did his research, and wrote a very readable book.
From Bill Murray's book, "My Life Without God" (which is quoted several times in Draco's book), I knew that Madalyn was a difficult person to live with; and Dracos reinforced that with his descriptions of her antics.
Jenettha Baines
Everything I choose to read will most likely get 4 or 5 stars. If it's not interesting and doesn't catch my attention by Chapter 5, I won't continue reading it. I bought this book for $2 and passed it around several times (four) before getting it back. Each person loved it! This was a great story of Madalyn Murray O'Hair and brought a clearer insight to a woman I had only heard of and remember seeing on the Phil Donahue show. A MUST READ!
Paige
(hurricane read #3)

Too much of a biography for my taste and not enough about the actual case (to the point where I would have difficulty even calling this 'true crime.') Honestly, I was more interested in Murray's murder than Murray herself.
Shannon Burton
HOLY COW. Why had I never heard of this better-than-fiction story? The writing was a bit cliche, but the amount of information is worth putting up with it.
Lawanda Mckenzie
Lawanda Mckenzie marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Travis Stephenson
Travis Stephenson marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Tami Scroggins
Tami Scroggins marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Axel Blaster
Axel Blaster marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Jana Fisher
Jana Fisher marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2013
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2013
Christina York
Christina York marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2013
Travis Williams
Travis Williams marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2013
Christoaugust
Christoaugust marked it as to-read
May 12, 2013
Elyse
Elyse marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2013
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2013
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Unloved: How Emotional Abuse Destroys Our Souls An Essay - Suffering to Love: Female Sexuality and Male Violence The Scarab: A Screenplay on the Last Days of Carl Jung The Scarab: A Stage Play on the Last Days of Carl Jung An Essay - Turning On the Ivory Tower: The Harvard Years of Timothy Leary