Start by marking “The Stainless Steel Rat for President” as Want to Read:
The Stainless Steel Rat for President

The Stainless Steel Rat for President (Stainless Steel Rat (Chronological Order) #8)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,933 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
This time the Special Corps has given the Rat a daring assignment—liberate a backward tourist planet from the clutches of an aging dictator. With his lovely but lethal wife Angelina and his two stalwart sons, James and Bolivar, diGriz pits ballots against bullets in the fight for freedom. He's vowed to restore truth, justice, and democracy to the world of Paraiso-Aqui, if ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 12th 2011 by Brilliance Audio (first published January 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Stainless Steel Rat for President, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stainless Steel Rat for President

Wanda
What is left for the Stainless Steel Rat to fight for? Democracy, of course—a rather ironic struggle for Slippery Jim diGriz, who is much more at home in the criminal underworld. But Harrison couldn’t resist the politician-as-crook angle, so Jim must run for president of the planet Parisio-Aqui.

Harrison must have known a little Spanish and/or Esperanto, judging by the frequency of those languages showing up in the Rat books. If the reader has some familiarity with them, there are amusing little
Robert
Mar 09, 2012 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Thom
May 11, 2016 Thom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-series
A quick read, like all of the series. In this episode, the Rat is tasked with cleaning up a corrupt banana republic - or was he? I forget the particular MacGuffin that started this one off. Less of the usual criminality, more of his moral code, and a clever way of ensuring things stay on the up-and-up for a while with his "dying wish".
Jim
May 30, 2011 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
An uber-snarky intergalactic James Bond, if Bond were a family man and had a seemingly unlimited supply of just the right gasses, smoke-bombs and weaponry, and had a profound distaste for killing people. A quick fun read. Will seek out previous installments of the Rat's adventures. Harrison throws in a bunch of subtle goodies such as references to books concerning political dirty tricks as The Education of A Prince by Mac O'Velly. Snark.
Kat  Hooper
Mar 15, 2011 Kat Hooper rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
3.5 stars audio version

ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Fascist dictators, watch out — Slippery Jim diGriz is on the planet, and he’ll stop at nothing to secure freedom, peace, and representation for the people. Even if he has to lie, cheat, steal, and stuff ballot boxes to do it.

Harry Harrison’s Stainless Steel Rat series is lots of fun and you can’t help but love con-man Slippery Jim, his sadistic wife Angelina, and their twin sons James and Bolivar who are, for better or worse, chips o
Charles
Feb 19, 2016 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
James (Jim) DiGriz, a con man that calls himself the Stainless Steel Rat, is back engaged in another adventure. A man has been found dead while trying to contact Jim and it is learned that he is from the tourist-trap planet of Paraiso-Aqui. As a consequence Jim, his jealous and deadly wife Angelina and their two talented adult sons Bolivar and James plan a trip to the planet.
When they arrive, they discover that it is ruled by a ruthless man named Julio Zapilote. With the aid of anti-aging treat
Linda I
Another zany and fun rat adventure whereby this time he and Angelina are simply trying to enjoy a belated honeymoon but instead end up involved in overthrowing the corrupt government of Paradiso Aqui by becoming its next president! Of course, like all rat books, the story is full of social and political parodies (this time Latin American-type politics), loads of outlandish scheming, great dialogue, wonderful characters and plenty of laugh-out-loud moments.
Raj
Dec 29, 2013 Raj rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, humour
Slippery Jim DiGriz is back, this time away to the paradise planet (so the tourist brochures say) of Paraiso Aqui, from where a garbled message has come. Now a reformed character, he finds a planet with a façade of democracy but ruled by a brutal dictator. With his psychopathic wife and equally crooked children by his side, he sets out to rig the already rigged election and bring true democracy to this benighted planet.

A fun short novel, it's nice to see Slippery Jim up to his old tricks again,
Richard Ward
Sep 21, 2015 Richard Ward rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Can't recommend it.
A mix of sci-fi action/adventure, political comedy, and dystopia. The Stainless Steel Rat spreads democracy to a planet ruled by a dictator. The jokes fell flat for me. I don't worship at the altar of democracy, so I didn't care about the book's main conflict. If the author was commenting on the banana republics of the 1980's, as he obviously was, then he left out entirely the U.S. government's evil work of establishing and controlling such banana republics. So the author in attempting to speak ...more
Mark Speed
Mar 16, 2014 Mark Speed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
The good old rat is back. I thought I'd write this as a topical review, given the farcical elections in Crimea today. See what I did there? Let's do a bit of time-travel - I wonder how we'll look on the Ukraine/Crimea situation a decade from now?

This is not a spoiler, given the cover blurb. There's a dictator on this backward planet, and the agency sends in the rat to sort it out. What do you think might happen in a situation like that, and with a title like Stainless Steel Rat for President? As
deilann
Originally posted on SpecFic Junkie.

Harry Harrison making fun of politics? Yes, please! The hijinks in this Stainless Steel Rat book poke at the way democracies end up not being so democratic. He probably could have used a less stereotypical backdrop than Space Latin America to show off his "democratic" dictator plot, but because the setting isn't the joke, it works better than the issues in the last book.

In fact, it probably would have been five stars if Harrison hadn't gone for the easy swoop
Simon Forward
Feb 25, 2013 Simon Forward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So we come to the end of our travels with the Stainless Steel Rat. And Harry Harrison makes sure Slippery Jim goes out in grand style.

The Peter Ellison cover of my copy portrays an older Rat, bewhiskered and bemedalled, amid a shower of bunting and ticker-tape as some hig-tech fighters perform a celebratory fly-past overhead. It's fitting as the whole thing feels like a party. Perhaps more of a retirement party than a political parade as there seems to be a stated intent to send the Rat off to r
Rene Majer
Jan 03, 2016 Rene Majer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Auto před zátarasem zpomalilo a pak vyrazilo kupředu. Bomby explodovaly a okolí zmizelo voblacích hustého dýmu. Ozvalo se praskání, zvonění kovu okov a pak se zátarasy rozlétly na všechny strany. My jsme byli bezpečně za nimi a nabírali rychlost. Jestli za námi někdo střílel, namáhal se zbytečně, nevěděli jsme otom. Po dvou kolech a sjekotem týraných pneumatik jsme dorazili za roh a heliport byl přímo před námi. Náš vrtulník také. Hořel. Zjeho dveří právě vypadl mrtvý ohořelýpilot.
Conan Tigard
Nov 14, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have yet to read a Stainless Steel Rat book that I haven’t enjoyed. Although, The Stainless Steel Rat for President is not the best of the first five, but it is still a great book.

The reason I enjoy Slippery Jim books is because he is both funny and quite slick. I love the way that he gets out of messy situations. Is he smart? You bet he is. Is he lucky? The luckiest man alive. Is he fun to read about? A blast! I can’t wait to read the next one.

I rated this book an 8 out of 10.
Guy Ferguson
Read in India, in a day in Gulshan Cottage, Kolkata. The book made me forget teh true awfulness of my room, and it helped lift me away from the poverty outside. I think H H is a master writer/storyteller. He is not prentious, and his hero, Slippery Jim di Griz is as good a criminal role model as I've ever read. In the Bulldog Drummond tradition I have been told, without knowing much of BD...
Joseph Baxter
Nov 15, 2014 Joseph Baxter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read most all of the SSR books, and while by this time in the series the stories are wearing a bit thin, it's still a fun tale. Harrison probably bears much of the blame for my own speech patterns. Unfortunately, though, I don't think I could hand this to a teen on the basis of scattered in-character but lecherous comments (though still far less than broadcast television).
manka
May 22, 2016 manka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ono si to ty čtyři hvězdy nezaslouží, nicméně mne to pobavilo natolik, že je prostě dám. Politika, zběsilá akce a alkohol. Oujé.
Nai Wang
Sep 27, 2014 Nai Wang rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fun but I really disliked the story. Terrible plot and not the usual antics you'd come to expect from the RAT!
Martin Willoughby
Feb 23, 2015 Martin Willoughby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dated, but still plenty of laughter in it. Well worth a read.
Andreas
SciFi humor. I quite enjoyed the first five books or so, but in the end the laughter starts wearing thin. I gave up after “The Stainless Steel Rat Goes to Hell”. Those I have read are:

The Stainless Steel Rat
A Stainless Steel Rat is Born
The Stainless Steel Rat Gets Drafted
The Stainless Steel Rat Goes to Hell

Steven Poore
Good old-fashioned rip-roaring fun, told in first-person style with tongue placed very firmly in cheek. It's been some years since I last read any of these (clue: the Milk-Snatcher still ruled Britain back then...), and I'm afraid to say this one hasn't matured all that well. As a parody of the SF of the 50s it is perfectly serviceable, and Jim Di Griz will always be one of the genre's greatest protagonists, but the overall feel is one of a slightly rusty Italian Job In Space...

Dch3jac1
Feb 27, 2014 Dch3jac1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps not as good as some of the others in the series, but still great fun.
Eric Lawson
Slippery Jim and his family are back. Jim and Angelina are having a belated honeymoon on the holiday world of Paraiso-Aqui. Of course, nothing is as it seems and the ruler of Paraiso-Aqui has been rigging the elections for a very long time.

The diGriz clan are sent in to make sure that the next election has the correct result.

An entertaining look at how to rig elections, lie, cheat, steal and influence people.
Nigel
Mar 12, 2007 Nigel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the Stainless Steel Rat series when I was a kid, and thoroughly enjoyed it (I couldn't resist it since I was also a 2000AD reader, where the Stainless Steel Rat was given the graphic serialisation treatment). I'm giving it 3 stars because I suspect that if I re-read the series today I wouldn't be quite so captivated. Great stuff for younger sci-fi fans though.
East Bay J
Sep 23, 2010 East Bay J rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Another thrilling adventure with The Stainless Steel Rat. Harrison is a talented writer who weaves humorous and exciting tales with flair. He’s got his characters down to a science, which makes this series nothing but fun. If you get to this point in the series, “Slippery” Jim and family are like old friends who throw the best parties.
Michael Ward
Apr 04, 2012 Michael Ward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The stainless steel rat books were good. This was one of the best ones. There is an interesting comment somewhere in the book about how monetarism had wrecked whole worlds which is kind of prophetic when we look at the state of the western economies today that most embraced monetarism.

This was a good and interesting read.
Velveeta
May 03, 2008 Velveeta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: already-read
not finished with it yet, but i am reading all the stainless steel rat books, and so far i am well pleased! the style is a bit dated, granted, and it's an all ages storyline - but still enticing, because of the writing and the characters. if you like robert lynn aspirin's myth adventures books, you will like these as well!
Steve D
Feb 27, 2008 Steve D rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Steve by: Matt Davidson
I read the Stainless Steel Rat series in early highschool, and I thoroughly enjoyed the sci-fi environment along with the conman turned good guy (somewhat) spy. I suspect that if I re-read the series today the writing would not be quite so captivating, but I give it a solid recommendation for younger sci-fi fans.
William P.
Jul 31, 2012 William P. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best SSR book, but hardly bad. There are some odd bits, like a highlighted piece of gadgetry that never gets used in any interesting ways, and there's only a little bit of tension, but Jim is always fun to follow. The narrator for this series is fantastic and really captures the feel of the books.
Chelsea
Jul 18, 2012 Chelsea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
Slippery Jim is at it again! I was very surprised at his new mission. He's running for president on a planet with a corrupt government to help fix it? But how will he work for the Special Corps if he does that? But the book had a great ending which I thought was appropriate.
  • Footrot Flats 1 (Footrot Flats, #1)
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
  • Here Comes Garfield
  • California Voodoo Game (Dream Park, #3)
  • Far Horizons: All New Tales from the Greatest Worlds of Science Fiction
  • Steven Moffat's Doctor Who 2010: The Critical Fan's Guide to Matt Smith's First Series (Unauthorized)
  • Camelot 30K
  • MAD's Greatest Artists: The Completely MAD Don Martin
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1963-1966
  • My Favorite Fantasy Story
  • Glory Lane
  • Voyagers III: Star Brothers (Voyagers, #3)
  • Break Into Fiction: 11 Steps to Building a Story That Sells
  • Tintin in the New World
  • Assignment in Eternity
  • Stories for the Heart-The Original Collection: 110 Stories to Encourage Your Soul
  • Masters of the Vortex (Lensman, #7)
  • The Boys' Book: How To Be The Best At Everything

Harry Harrison (born Henry Maxwell Dempsey) was an American science fiction author best known for his character the The Stainless Steel Rat and the novel Make Room! Make Room! (1966), the basis for the film Soylent Green (1973). He was also (with Brian W. Aldiss) co-president of the Birmingham Science Fiction G
More about Harry Harrison...

Stainless Steel Rat (Chronological Order) (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • A Stainless Steel Rat is Born (Stainless Steel Rat, #1)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Gets Drafted (Stainless Steel Rat, #2)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Sings the Blues (Stainless Steel Rat, #3)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat's Revenge (Stainless Steel Rat, #5)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World (Stainless Steel Rat, #6)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You! (Stainless Steel Rat, #7)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Goes to Hell (Stainless Steel Rat, #9)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Joins the Circus (Stainless Steel Rat, #10)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Returns (Stainless Steel Rat, #11)