Stainless Steel Rat for President, The

Stainless Steel Rat for President, The (Stainless Steel Rat (Chronological Order) #8)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  2,342 ratings  ·  40 reviews
This time the Special Corps has given the Rat a daring assignment - liberate a backward tourist planet from the clutches of an aging dictator. With his lovely but lethal wife Angelina and his two stalwart sons, James and Bolivar, diGriz pits ballots against bullets in the fight for freedom. He's vowed to restore truth, justice, and democracy to the world of Paraiso-Aqui, i...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 12th 2011 by Brilliance Audio (first published August 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Stainless Steel Rat for President, The, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stainless Steel Rat for President, The

Robert
Jim
An uber-snarky intergalactic James Bond, if Bond were a family man and had a seemingly unlimited supply of just the right gasses, smoke-bombs and weaponry, and had a profound distaste for killing people. A quick fun read. Will seek out previous installments of the Rat's adventures. Harrison throws in a bunch of subtle goodies such as references to books concerning political dirty tricks as The Education of A Prince by Mac O'Velly. Snark.
Kat  Hooper
3.5 stars audio version

ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Fascist dictators, watch out — Slippery Jim diGriz is on the planet, and he’ll stop at nothing to secure freedom, peace, and representation for the people. Even if he has to lie, cheat, steal, and stuff ballot boxes to do it.

Harry Harrison’s Stainless Steel Rat series is lots of fun and you can’t help but love con-man Slippery Jim, his sadistic wife Angelina, and their twin sons James and Bolivar who are, for better or worse, chips o...more
Linda I
Another zany and fun rat adventure whereby this time he and Angelina are simply trying to enjoy a belated honeymoon but instead end up involved in overthrowing the corrupt government of Paradiso Aqui by becoming its next president! Of course, like all rat books, the story is full of social and political parodies (this time Latin American-type politics), loads of outlandish scheming, great dialogue, wonderful characters and plenty of laugh-out-loud moments.
Raj
Slippery Jim DiGriz is back, this time away to the paradise planet (so the tourist brochures say) of Paraiso Aqui, from where a garbled message has come. Now a reformed character, he finds a planet with a façade of democracy but ruled by a brutal dictator. With his psychopathic wife and equally crooked children by his side, he sets out to rig the already rigged election and bring true democracy to this benighted planet.

A fun short novel, it's nice to see Slippery Jim up to his old tricks again,...more
Mark Speed
The good old rat is back. I thought I'd write this as a topical review, given the farcical elections in Crimea today. See what I did there? Let's do a bit of time-travel - I wonder how we'll look on the Ukraine/Crimea situation a decade from now?

This is not a spoiler, given the cover blurb. There's a dictator on this backward planet, and the agency sends in the rat to sort it out. What do you think might happen in a situation like that, and with a title like Stainless Steel Rat for President? As...more
Simon Forward
So we come to the end of our travels with the Stainless Steel Rat. And Harry Harrison makes sure Slippery Jim goes out in grand style.

The Peter Ellison cover of my copy portrays an older Rat, bewhiskered and bemedalled, amid a shower of bunting and ticker-tape as some hig-tech fighters perform a celebratory fly-past overhead. It's fitting as the whole thing feels like a party. Perhaps more of a retirement party than a political parade as there seems to be a stated intent to send the Rat off to r...more
Andreas
SciFi humor. I quite enjoyed the first five books or so, but in the end the laughter starts wearing thin. I gave up after “The Stainless Steel Rat Goes to Hell”. Those I have read are:

The Stainless Steel Rat
A Stainless Steel Rat is Born
The Stainless Steel Rat Gets Drafted
The Stainless Steel Rat Goes to Hell

Steven Poore
Good old-fashioned rip-roaring fun, told in first-person style with tongue placed very firmly in cheek. It's been some years since I last read any of these (clue: the Milk-Snatcher still ruled Britain back then...), and I'm afraid to say this one hasn't matured all that well. As a parody of the SF of the 50s it is perfectly serviceable, and Jim Di Griz will always be one of the genre's greatest protagonists, but the overall feel is one of a slightly rusty Italian Job In Space...

Dch3jac1
Perhaps not as good as some of the others in the series, but still great fun.
Eric Lawson
Slippery Jim and his family are back. Jim and Angelina are having a belated honeymoon on the holiday world of Paraiso-Aqui. Of course, nothing is as it seems and the ruler of Paraiso-Aqui has been rigging the elections for a very long time.

The diGriz clan are sent in to make sure that the next election has the correct result.

An entertaining look at how to rig elections, lie, cheat, steal and influence people.
Nigel
I read the Stainless Steel Rat series when I was a kid, and thoroughly enjoyed it (I couldn't resist it since I was also a 2000AD reader, where the Stainless Steel Rat was given the graphic serialisation treatment). I'm giving it 3 stars because I suspect that if I re-read the series today I wouldn't be quite so captivated. Great stuff for younger sci-fi fans though.
J
Another thrilling adventure with The Stainless Steel Rat. Harrison is a talented writer who weaves humorous and exciting tales with flair. He’s got his characters down to a science, which makes this series nothing but fun. If you get to this point in the series, “Slippery” Jim and family are like old friends who throw the best parties.
Michael Ward
The stainless steel rat books were good. This was one of the best ones. There is an interesting comment somewhere in the book about how monetarism had wrecked whole worlds which is kind of prophetic when we look at the state of the western economies today that most embraced monetarism.

This was a good and interesting read.
Velveeta
not finished with it yet, but i am reading all the stainless steel rat books, and so far i am well pleased! the style is a bit dated, granted, and it's an all ages storyline - but still enticing, because of the writing and the characters. if you like robert lynn aspirin's myth adventures books, you will like these as well!
Steve D
Feb 27, 2008 Steve D rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Steve by: Matt Davidson
I read the Stainless Steel Rat series in early highschool, and I thoroughly enjoyed the sci-fi environment along with the conman turned good guy (somewhat) spy. I suspect that if I re-read the series today the writing would not be quite so captivating, but I give it a solid recommendation for younger sci-fi fans.
William P.
Not the best SSR book, but hardly bad. There are some odd bits, like a highlighted piece of gadgetry that never gets used in any interesting ways, and there's only a little bit of tension, but Jim is always fun to follow. The narrator for this series is fantastic and really captures the feel of the books.
Chelsea Decker
Slippery Jim is at it again! I was very surprised at his new mission. He's running for president on a planet with a corrupt government to help fix it? But how will he work for the Special Corps if he does that? But the book had a great ending which I thought was appropriate.
Sean Randall
An interesting continuation of the saga. Hardly earth-shatteringly brilliant, but it's nice to see how James' kids (now grown up) handle things in the field. james' reading speed may leave the imagination behind a little, but it's an interesting read all the same.
Dorian
Fun read and fun characters. I started with this one and for some reason believe that it is likely not the best in the series. So I will be reading more about the stainless steel rat, but with hopefully more laughs.
Andrew Hennessey
indication early on in my life that the BBC were telling me lies about westminster- might find if I read it today that it isn't up to the standard of deviance of our current generation of wise guys
Katie
This is my favorite in this series, it is funny without being too slapstick and has great social commentary.
Noah Easterly
These were more fun when I was younger. But worked well to fill the time, and as a palate cleanser.
Jason Young
Slippery Jim DiGriz does it again. I don't care what anyone says, these stories are great!
Matt Heavner
Fun read. This one was an interesting (very superficial) look at anarchism/fascism vs democracy..
Győző
The best one of the first four. The characters are much more developed and finally no time travel
Dehibberdwrites
The Stainless Steel Rat series was an excellent and entertaining read.
Jonathan
Funny, tricksy and a born criminal, the stainless steel Rat goes into Politics!
Matt
Jun 03, 2010 Matt marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-buy
Need this book to continue the series. I want to complete the set.
  • Lost Dorsai (Childe Cycle, #6)
  • Callahan's Legacy (Mary's Place, #2) (Callahan's Series, #7)
  • The Barsoom Project (Dream Park, #2)
  • Retief of the CDT (Retief, #7)
  • The Jagged Orbit
  • Glory Lane
  • My Favorite Fantasy Story
  • Mute
  • Phule's Paradise (Phule's Company, #2)
  • Masters of the Vortex (Lensman, #7)
  • The Wolf Worlds (Sten, #2)
  • Worlds (Worlds, #1)
  • Charon: A Dragon at the Gate (The Four Lords of the Diamond, #3)
  • Лабиринт отражений (Лабиринт отражений #1)

Harry Harrison (born Henry Maxwell Dempsey) was an American science fiction author best known for his character the The Stainless Steel Rat and the novel Make Room! Make Room! (1966), the basis for the film Soylent Green (1973). He was also (with Brian W. Aldiss) co-president of the Birmingham Science Fiction G...more
More about Harry Harrison...
The Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4) The Adventures of the Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4-6) A Stainless Steel Rat is Born (Stainless Steel Rat, #1) The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You! (Stainless Steel Rat, #7) The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World (Stainless Steel Rat, #6)