Start by marking “Leepike Ridge” as Want to Read:

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,587 Ratings  ·  309 Reviews
Before he wrote the bestselling 100 Cupboards trilogy and Ashtown Burials series, N. D. Wilson delighted readers with his first unforgettable action-adventure story of survival. . . .

Thomas Hammond has always lived next to Leepike Ridge, but he never imagined he might end up lost beneath it! The night Tom’s schoolteacher comes to dinner and asks Tom’s mother to marry him,
Published May 22nd 2007 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Leepike Ridge, please sign up.

Sarah Baker I do too. I like how even though there were clearly bad guys and good guys the story went smoothly. All the characters weren't hesitant in their…moreI do too. I like how even though there were clearly bad guys and good guys the story went smoothly. All the characters weren't hesitant in their responses i couldn't put down the book. It was sad when Jeffrey turned bad though and Phil dies. I thought Phil was going to marry her. But in the end i think Reg was the better choice.(less)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Some of the best books EVER
24th out of 65 books — 25 voters
Isle of Winds by James FahySwitch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu by Karen  PrinceThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Harry Potter Collection 1-4 by J.K. RowlingArtemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
Recommended Modern Children's Fantasy
50th out of 169 books — 183 voters

More lists with this book...

Jubilation Lee
Frequently when my tiny library patrons recommend a book to me, I smile very politely and tell them that oh yes, I’ll get on that immediately, and then I never do, because God help me if I have to read one more Geronimo Stilton book I think my brain might melt out my ears.

But Leepike Ridge was one of those recommendations, and friends, let me tell you, I am SO GLAD that I followed through and actually read it.

Because it is amazing. Amazing. Why is everyone in the world not reading this book? kar
Betsy
Sep 05, 2007 Betsy rated it it was amazing
I am a traitor to my sex. I must be. All evidence clearly points in that direction. If 2007 is remembered as anything, for me it will be the year of Boy Books That I Adored While My Female Friends Slowly Shook Their Heads. First I fell head-over-heels gaga for Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Girls didn't always get the jokes. Then Atherton #1: The House of Power struck me as particularly fun. Blank stares from my female co-workers. Now I've read "Leepike Ridge" and if I am not physically shoving this book ...more
Douglas Wilson
Apr 29, 2016 Douglas Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just read again after a number of years. Really fun.
Douglas Wilson
Jan 14, 2009 Douglas Wilson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Nate does great work.
Kate
Nov 14, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing
I read a review that made comparisons between this book and Louis Sachar's Holes. This kind of comparison always makes me skeptical. "We'll just see about that," I thought. I read it. I saw. And I get it now. This one is worthy of that comparison -- and then some. And this book will definitely appeal to fans of Holes.

Leepike Ridge is a book for every kid (and every grown kid) who played in refrigerator boxes, caught critters in the woods, and floated down creeks on homemade rafts. It's a fantast
Abby Johnson
Nov 11, 2007 Abby Johnson rated it really liked it
For some reason, I thought this book was fantasy before I started reading it. I don't know where I got that idea. It's not fantasy.

Young Tom Hammond was just playing with the giant foam piece from the refrigerator box. He was playing with it outside because he wanted to get away from his mom's new boyfriend. He didn't mean to fall asleep on top of it and float down the creek. And he certainly didn't mean to get sucked underneath the mountain and trapped in an underground cave. But now Tom is st
Heather
Feb 16, 2009 Heather rated it it was amazing
Everyone who reads this book LOVES it. It is part Huckelberry Finn, part Hatchet, part David Copperfield, and part 'The Parent Trap'. Many teachers and librarians are calling this book one of the best books written this year.
Aug 31, 2007 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs
60+ pages seems like giving this book a fair shot, but it just didn't grab me. So many people love it, though, that I'll have to try it again later.
Eva Mitnick
Apr 17, 2008 Eva Mitnick rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
This is a very different sort of adventure story. A 12-year-old boy named Tom, disgruntled at his mother's relationship with a man he doesn't like, heads downriver on a raft (really the foam packing from a refrigerator box) and ends up under a mountain and utterly trapped, along with a corpse, a dog, and - eventually - a man who had been similiarly trapped for over 3 years. There are gritty details - nefarious "treasure-hunters," a plucky mom, a three-legged dog, and plenty of real danger - but ...more
Ellen
Oct 22, 2007 Ellen rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit
A great read for what otherwise would have been a miserable day in bed with nasty cold. I love adventure survival stories and was often reminded today of stories I enjoyed long ago (Hatchet, Julie of the Wolves, I know there are others...).

To my delight, this one also added the mystery of archaeological treasure. Had I read this before all those archaeology classes in college, I probably would have given it another star. As much as I wanted to for the sake of the story, I just couldn't believe
Sara
Oct 09, 2007 Sara rated it liked it
A very cool adventure story. I would have liked some illustrations, especially of all those contraptions in the cave. And a map at the end that I could pore over and re-live the journey. But that's me: a visual girl. I want interior illustrations in almost every "chapter" or "middle-grade" book. Where can I sign the petition? Anybody with me on this?
Eric
Oct 13, 2008 Eric rated it really liked it
A smashing adventure story, about a boy who is carried by the river into a network of caves, deep in the mountains near his home. The plot is riveting, and the writing is top-notch: Rich, descriptive, and poetic, but never so artsy-fartsy that it breaks you out of the narrative. Just perfect writing, really. Highly recommended.
Bill Prosser
Aug 20, 2007 Bill Prosser rated it it was amazing
One of my ABSOLUTE favorites of the summer! I loved the adventure, the mystery, the way the "bad guys" try to get their way. This would be a great read aloud due to the cliff hangers. Kids will enjoy the twists in the plot. Just when you think you have it figured out, think again!
Maria Caplin
Sep 16, 2007 Maria Caplin rated it it was amazing
Just finished this amazing book-every time I turned the page I was surprised up until the ending which I never predicted.
Excellent book for thinking, wondering, predicting and just
visualizing what it really would be like to have lived through Tom's experiences.
John
Jun 06, 2015 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, 2015
Wow, what a great read! This is a really fun adventure story in the vein of Tom Sawyer and Treasure Island. Wilson does a great job of making you turn the pages. I highly recommend this one for both kids and adults.
Kelly
Oct 02, 2008 Kelly rated it it was amazing
the best boy adventure book I've read in years, hands down.
babyhippoface
Jan 04, 2008 babyhippoface rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: boys who are reluctant readers and anyone who loves adventure novels
This book made me miss my "If I Don't Get to Sleep Before This Time, I'll Be Cranky Tomorrow" bedtime. 3+ hours over, in fact. That doesn't happen very often.

First off, there's the cover. It couldn't get much more attention-grabbing than that, could it? You're looking at the feet of 11-year-old Tom Hammond, who is sitting atop his chimney, which is atop his house, which is CHAINED atop a mountain ridge. This is where he goes to get away from all the yuck in world, which currently consists of mi
Jean
Dec 03, 2007 Jean rated it it was amazing
This book starts out with a familiar "my mom is dating a man I don't like" kind of scene. But there is a twist. For example, there is a hint that the house that Tom and his mother live in is really different - it is chained to the top of a rock and experiences frequent power surges that cause appliances to fizzle. But the twist that grabbed me was the writing. The descriptions were beautifully written. The author can really write a good sentence.

Then comes another grabber. Tom, in trying to ret
Luke Miller
Aug 03, 2016 Luke Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Never get tired of reading his books. I think this was the last of his fiction works that I had not read, so now I'm left waiting for new books to be published. At least he's not dead. Dead people don't publish very many new books. (unless you're C.S. Lewis, I think half of his works were published after his death). Anyway, the point is that he needs to hurry up and write books before he dies. It's like death by living, except it's death by writing. That's a life well spent.
Chloe
Apr 16, 2015 Chloe rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. The characters are so developed! I have read Leepike Ridge before, a very long time ago and I didn't remember most of it, so, obviously, i read it again and loved it even more! The book is so exciting, I just couldn't put it down! The best part? It has a happy ending. :) I highly recommend this book to anyone, adult or kid, looking for an awesome adventure.
N.D. Wilson
David Hoos
Jun 27, 2009 David Hoos rated it really liked it
Sometimes it seems like most of the good books out there are Children's books. Authors seem to get too pretentious for their own good when they're writing for adult audiences. For me, after years of non-fiction college reading, Leepike Ridge made me want to go back and read more fiction again. To read just for the fun of it. Somebody else compared Wilson's stories to Pixar and I think that is a very apt comparison. Perfect for kids but also equally great for adults. Keep an eye on Wilson...if hi ...more
Sara
Sep 09, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it
A well written adventure story in the tradition of King Solomon's Mines, Holes, and My Side of the Mountain. Adventure and depth and good writing, oh my! This was a fun one -- but it had some more complex family/grief issues, and definitely kept the pages turning. The only thing that bugged me a little was that the descriptions were kinda hard to follow -- for example, I had a tricky time trying to imagine exactly how Reg's water clock worked, 'cause the description was a little unclear. Otherwi ...more
David West
Apr 02, 2016 David West rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-family
A fun book. Wilson is a great writer.
Becky B
Tom Hammond is trying to escape the possibility of his mom getting re-married and uses the excuse of picking up trash he scattered the day before to sneak out at night. He discovers the styrofoam from the new refrigerator can float, and he inadvertently falls asleep on his little stream cruise. The next thing he knows he's being pommeled and pulled under water, and once the current finally releases him he is on a beach in an underground lake next to a dead man. Up above, some men saw Tom go by a ...more
Maria Tag
Jun 27, 2016 Maria Tag rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: every tween kid
Recommended to Maria by: my brother Isaac
Shelves: brother-books
Wow, this was good! My brother adores N.D. Wilson, so I thought I would re-read this one. (Yes, I have read Leepike Ridge before. I didn't remember much, so I was thinking I would give it another go.) A good book!
Plot: Tom is angry. Angry at Jeffery, his mom's boyfriend, angry at his mom, angry that his dad is dead. One day, the new fridge arrives. One lonely night, Tom slips away on a piece of packing foam from the fridge's box. He falls asleep on it, floating down the creek. ( Uh-oh....) He g
Amy Brown
Dec 14, 2007 Amy Brown rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: boys, adventure, quirky
Thomas Hammond ends up on an adventure when he gets mad at his mom (who's going to marry his teacher) and decides to travel down the stream on a raft made from styrofoam. Before he knows it he's wrapped up in an adventure involving water, a cave, a dead body, a castaway, and treasure. This quirky adventure book starts slow but would be good to give to boys who like adventure and who like stories like the Series of Unforunate Events and the Philip Aardagh books.
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
Aug 28, 2007 Roxanne Hsu Feldman rated it really liked it
A great survival story, a thrilling adventure, an intriguing mystery, and a tall tale. It reminds me of Paulsen's survival stories but seems to have even more layers and with incredibly enjoyable wry humor.

I really wanted this one to be on this year's Notables list -- but alas, there wasn't enough supporting votes for it to make even to the Discussion List. *sigh*

[http://www.fairrosa.info/rj/2007/08/l...]
Jan 11, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This is actually the second time I've read this book. I read it myself and this time I was going to read it to my six year old, but he lost interest while my husband got hooked. I enjoy N.D. Wilson's books, I've also read the 100 Cupboards series, also twice (with the same story, I tried to read it to my kids and it was too complicated for them, but my husband got hooked).

This book is a fast read, stand-alone adventure/coming of age novel. It moves quickly, there is a good dose of humor and one
Leslie
Jan 06, 2008 Leslie rated it really liked it
This book is written for young adults, but I think that adults will love it too: Chris and I do. It is in the same vein as Mark Twain. We bought it for Isaiah and ended up reading it ourselves.
Gist: a young boy is swept into an underground stream beneath mountain and in his attempt to escape discovers remains of an ancient world as well as the secrets to his father's death.
Julie
Mar 08, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit
This was just as good as everyone said! I'm only sorry it took me so long to get to it. I can't think of any other book I've ever read that's quite like it--adventure, mystery, history, underground caves, hidden treasure, bad guys, a good dog...

I do think it would appeal to fans of Riordan's Percy Jackson series, as we await book 4!
  • Evangellyfish
  • Right Behind: A Parody of Last Days Goofiness
  • Being Teddy Roosevelt
  • Billy Creekmore
  • Brendan Buckley's Universe and Everything in It
  • We Can't All Be Rattlesnakes
  • The Small Adventure of Popeye and Elvis
  • North
  • Manhunt (Silver Jaguar Society Mysteries #3)
  • Wise Words
  • The Warden and the Wolf King (The Wingfeather Saga #4)
  • Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little
  • Me and the Pumpkin Queen
  • Neil Armstrong is My Uncle and Other Lies Muscle Man McGinty Told Me
  • The Five Lives of Our Cat Zook
  • Sylvie and the Songman
  • Milagros: Girl from Away
  • Jack Plank Tells Tales

“The moon was up, painting the world silver, making things look just a little more alive.” 38 likes
“In the history of the world there have been lots of onces and lots of times, and every time has had a once upon it.

Most people will tell you that the once upon a time happened in a land far, far away, but it really depends on where you are. The once upon a time may have been just outside your back door. It may have been beneath your very feet. It might not have been in a land at all but deep in the sea's belly or bobbing around on its back.”
25 likes