Start by marking “Emma, Vol. 04” as Want to Read:
Emma, Vol. 04

Emma, Vol. 04 (Emma #4)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  1,049 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Secrets are revealed when Emma makes a return visit to London. Behind William's upstanding exterior, he is still despondent over losing Emma. His sister's friend Eleanor is doing everything she can to insinuate herself into his life-- perhaps on a permanent basis! As for Emma, she is on her way back to London to accompany the mysterious Mrs. Trollop to an important social ...more
Published June 20th 2007 by CMX (first published June 26th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Emma, Vol. 04, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emma, Vol. 04

Lete
My heart! The Feels! TOO MANY EMOTIONS~~~~ MAhhh!!
Dawn
The previous volumes of this series have all been acceptable for tweens. Then, in this volume, all of a sudden there's nudity that is completely unnecessary to the plot! It makes me realize how difficult it would be to do readers' advisory for manga unless you've read an entire series... I will keep reading this because I do love the plot and the characters, and I've been watching the anime which is quite good.
Cathy
Apr 15, 2008 Cathy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like to cry
Prepare yourself for this one. If you buy it for your teen collection (which I still highly suggest) there is a scene in the middle of the book where Emma sees her mistress (this is a historical book and Emma is a maid) naked. The whole thing seemed pretty unnecessary for the plot, but the illustrations are well done. I have spent a lot of the series crying. So if you like crying, this is the one for you!
Mooson
Ok. So I've been reading the Swedish translation of Emma and I hate it (with every fiber of my pitch-black soul!). The thing is that I would probably love it otherwise, but I have serious issues with the way a certain translator uses the swedish language. And it's nothing new, I basically stopped reading every manga he translated because either the language sounds like it written by someone who doesn't really know swedish or sometimes it's just not making any sense at all. At times I feel like I ...more
Joy
Carrie
Still a sweet story, but I could have done without the weird unnecessary nudity in one scene.
Amy
I found this book confusing for two reasons. It is part of a series that does not make much sense if you have not read the others and it is a Manga graphic novel. I found it to be sort-of like watching one episode of a soap opera. You understand what is going on, but none of the characters have a lot of meaning to you and the story has no end to it. I also found the pages in the opposite order much harder to understand. I chose it because the Manga style graphic novels with mythical creatures ar ...more
Rachel
In this volume, William and Eleanor go to the Opera to see "The Barber of Seville" (one of my favorite operas) and he realizes that she is in love with him. We are introduced to Eleanor's fiesty and overprotective married sister Monica, who thinks that William is jerking Eleanor around and goes to confront him. Shortly afterward, William proposes to Eleanor, who accepts. Meanwhile, Emma is preparing to go to London with Mrs. Meredith (Dorothea) as her hand maid. Dorothea and Emma meet Mrs. Troll ...more
Blair Conrad
This "review" isn't really about volume 4 - I'm writing it after reading volumes 1-4 in a row, and my impressions have blurred together so much that I couldn't distinguish one volume from the next if I wanted to.

A cute story. I'm not entirely sold on the character artwork (as usual for me, I have trouble distinguishing some of the characters, notably the minor ones - give me a panel with some of William's sisters and a subset of their friends, and I'm completely lost), but the backgrounds and pr
Chocobox
I'm a bit late getting into this, even though I've been hearing about it for a while. What's better than a Regency Victorian romance novel-like story in manga format? GAY Victorian romance! I like the main characters, especially William, who's totally adorable. I was not too fond of the plot twist at the end of the second volume, but I guess you have to have some kind of conflict, so I can live with it. I'm more annoyed that I didin't get one more volume in my last order, because 4 leaves off in ...more
Luna
This volume is better (and the attention to detail in the art is amazing), but there were still a few problems. First off, no lady brings a maid (in ladies' clothes at that 0-o) to a party!! I know she eventually decided to pretend she was a lady and just wanted her for company, but at first they were considering her being escorted by a maid. Um, no, they don't go to the party alongside them...

The Emma/William reunion was *so* close to being romantic and epic to me, except that I never was on b
Alyssandra
This was once again amazing. I've started reading the next book, but my library doesn't have the other five. :( So now I will have to get them next year because I have a lot of other books to read. But the ending... man that was good.
Alaa Alhomaizi
LOVED this one!! My absolute favorite in the series by far, broke my heart by the end. I cannot wait to read the rest of the series.
Lauren
I absolutely loved the Victorian era and reading about it plus romance is always a good thing. I was really excited to read this series and it didn't disappoint!
Amy
Good show! A cliff hanger, and bringing in other key players. I felt it was a bit of a stretch for the position Emma's "master" puts her in, but it was fun to see her dressed in something other than her standard maid outfit. I'm very curious to see how the story continues from here!
Sarai
William Jones proposes to the society lady he has been courting, Eleanor. Emma also meets the intriguing Mrs. Trollop.

Nice continuation of the series, but I have to admit at this point I started getting kind of sick of William and was rooting for Emma's fellow servant, Hans. Maybe it was the dark hair and quiet nature, or maybe the fact that William was acting like an idiot and his poor fiance Eleanor would be the one who eventually suffered from it. Nice continuing character development, though
Kelly
BAM. Last chapter alone gives it an extra star.
Céline :)
AWW this manga is just too cute! :)
Robert Beveridge
Kaoru Mori, Emma, vol. 4 (CMX, 2004)

Big revelations in the last volume + Emma's new employer selecting her as a handmaid for her trip to London tell you exactly where this volume is headed, no? And while there's not a single surprise to be found here, I didn't care one bit. Mori has manipulated both story and reader skillfully enough that even the oldest conventions of the whole upstairs-downstairs genre seem, if not new, at least fully retreaded for the new journey. As enchanting as ever, this
Jocilyn
If you weren't able to put Emma, Vol. 3 down, you may want to take a lunch break before starting on Vol. 4. Equally as exciting and romantic, Vol. 4 features more Eleanor swooning and irresponsible William romancing (which I really thought was the best part of the series but I digress). Readers of Vol. 4 will also be treated to the introduce of two power female characters, "the Duchess of Girl's Love" Monica and "Any excuse to be naked and sultry and say the name "Wilhelm" in an impossibly allur ...more
Reem
Volume 4. Chapter 22-29
Rachel
The art is beautiful as always--the backdrops of almost every panel are works of art that I would hang on my wall, and Kaoru Mori has the look of Victorian London down pat, from the buildings to the clothes and the interior decorating. Plus, this volume finally included a scene that really tugged at my heartstrings, pretty much the first time I felt any real emotion in this series.
Chili Public
Oct 30, 2009 Chili Public rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like to cry
Mayday
If I had not read this book years ago, I might have been so shocked by its development and this volume would be beyond five stars. First, seeing William become so serious, trace of his silliness in 1st volume was gone, then the over-protective big sister that made William cornered and Mama Jones....the ultimate surprise!

Ah, tear-jerking scenes everywhere!

Heidi
I should have read Carrie's review so I was ready for the random nudity. And my thoughts on that: Honestly--that was so unnecessary. Other than that, I liked where the story was going, especially the ending. Oh my--the whole part of the party. And especially afterwards. Terribly predictable and even embarrassing in ways to admit, but I loved it.
Echo
Nov 30, 2010 Echo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
I need more than five stars for this one. Honestly. I felt as emotionally invested in the story in this volume as I did in the last volume of Fruits Basket (probably my favorite manga series to date). Only four volumes in, and I'm already seriously thinking Emma might just be the best manga series I've ever read.
an
didandani untuk ikut jamuan makan. bukan maksud menyamar tapi memang sedang dalam menjalankan tugas na. memenuhi perintah majikan. namun apa yang terjadi. ketika emma melakukan pekerjaan na dengan sungguh-sungguh, kita ga akan pernah tau kejutan apa yang menanti na. bertemu kembali dengan kekasih na :)
Lady Knight
Kate
Feb 03, 2008 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
Oh, this is getting so good! I just love all the emotion these characters have. The final volume, #7, is about to be published and I just don't think I can wait for the library to get them in - I'm just going to have to buy them. Lisa - I'll pass them along.
Bonnie
Mori dubbed this the "all-crying volume." That's totally accurate, and I loved it. Monica, Eleanor's older sister, kicks a lot of ass! Dorothea is beyond awesome, and I love absolutely adore William's mother. I can't wait to read the next one!
  • Dramacon, Volume 2 (v. 2)
  • Yotsuba&!, Vol. 04 (Yotsuba&! #4)
  • Wandering Son, Vol. 2
  • After School Nightmare, Volume 4
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 03 (Library Wars: Love & War #3)
  • Bunny Drop 2 (Bunny Drop, #2)
  • Mushishi, Volume 7
  • Sand Chronicles, Volume 3
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 10: Picnic (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #10)
  • The Voices of a Distant Star
  • Nana, Vol. 8 (Nana, #8)
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Vol. 1
Kaoru Mori (森 薫) is a mangaka best known for her series "Emma". Many of her stories are set in Britain and center on characters who are maids.
More about Kaoru Mori...

• Emma, Vol. 07
  • Emma, Vol. 08
  • Emma, Vol. 09
  • Emma, Vol. 10
A Bride's Story, Vol. 1 Emma, Vol. 01 A Bride's Story, Vol. 2 A Bride's Story, Vol. 3 Emma, Vol. 02