Start by marking “Impulse” as Want to Read:
Impulse

Impulse

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  1,196 ratings  ·  52 reviews

Torn from the arms of the woman he loved and cast into the night by her highborn family, Cam Monroe vowed revenge on those who had wronged him.
Fifteen years later, after amassing a small fortune of his own, Cam returns to England with but one ambition. Now the power is his, power to ruin the Stanhope family if they refuse his demands. And what he demands is simple: that A
Published January 1st 2011 by Harlequin Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Impulse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Impulse

smexys_sidekick (Tori-Smexybooks)
Originally posted at http://www.smexybooks.com/2011/01/rev...

Favorite Quote: “Fool! It’s obvious they grow them stupid in America.”

Lady Angela has loved Camden (the stable hand) since she was a little girl; but when her grandfather finds them together he gives her an ultimatum. Either she marries Lord Dunstan or he will have Cam accused of theft and sent to prison for life. Lady Angela marries Lord Dunstan and suffers for her lost love. Cam upon finding out Angela married Dunstan flees to Americ
Julianna
I love reunion romances and "opposite sides of the tracks" stories, and this book had both. These themes made it very appealing to me, but ultimately I felt that it fell short of the mark. I thought it needed more character development, and I just didn't connect with the characters or the story on a deep emotional level like I have with other novels. Again the Magic by Lisa Kleypas and Night Fire by Catherine Coulter have very similar plots (almost identical in some respects), but in my opinion ...more
Belinda Kroll
I really enjoyed this book because I saw it as a dig to Wuthering Heights. The premise is similar: a rich young woman falls in love with one of the family servants, and is ready to run away with him. Before they are able to, her family finds out and splits them apart. This is their story, fifteen years later.

I might be shot for this, but I can't stand Wuthering Heights. Everything that went wrong in that book is because the two main characters refused to, oh, I don't know, be adult and speak to
RomReader
Beautiful heroine tamps down her beauty & passionate personality within the last 13 yrs. She was forced away from her first love (the then-stable-boy Hero) by her grandfather & forced to marry a lord who repeatedly abused her during their marriage. After running away from her husband, her marriage ends in a scandalous divorce. Four years later, heroine is once again pressured to marry but this time by now-wealthy & vengeful Hero who manipulated things to make her family's financial c ...more
lia
WHAT THE F*bleep*!!!!!!

description

description

Who wrote things like that in historical romance?!?!? In romance you suppose to get the lavender feeling that the world is a good place full of love fairies! Not that the world is full of psycho! I just have to look at my neighbors for that!

Anyway.....

It is still a readable book. Mostly the hero makes the book worth while. So 3 stars.
Sabrina (Soter) Sally
"Si era innamorato di nuovo di Angela, se mai c'era stato un momento in cui aveva smesso di esserlo. Aveva pensato che fosse tutto finito, si era disperato e l'aveva maledetta, ma forse nel segreto del suo cuore aveva sempre continuato ad amarla."

La trama di base mi ha ricordato molto un bel libro della Kleypas, Magia di un amore: un servo e una nobile che si innamorano, lui viene scoperto e cacciato, va in America, fa fortuna e torna per vendicarsi, ritrovando l'amore. Ma nonostante la Camp sia
Anaiz
This story turned out to be quite dark, I never recovered from hearing about Angela's life with Lord Dunston. I did however love Cam and Angela's characters and how sweet and how patient their relationship was.
Shawna Scott
Jasmyn
Cam Monroe is a stablehand, Angela Stanhope is nobility. Their love is forbidden and when Angela's father finds out about he threatens to ruin Cam and find a way to send him to jail for the rest of his life. Cam leaves the family's estate and vows to have Angela and his revenge. Meanwhile, Angela marries Lord Dunstan to try and save Cam from her father. Dunstan does not turn out to be the good man everyone thought he was, and several years later they end up divorced after a scandal that rocked t ...more
Jess
I've read a couple books by Camp and so when I saw this on my library shelves I knew I had to give it a try. This was a reunion story, two former lovers were separated by family and come back to find eachother later in life. I've always enjoyed these types of stories and I think that Camp did a great job with it.

Angela was a lady of the house and Cam was just a stable hand but they loved each other. When Angela's grandfather found out about the affair, he threatened Angela saying he would have C
Stacey Conrad
Jan 13, 2011 Stacey Conrad rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: regency romance readers
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Separated from the man she loved because of class, and her grandfather’s threat to send him to prison, Angela agrees to marry Lord Dunstan, who will help fill the family’s coffers and save the estate. This typical regency from Camp contains all the standard romantic plot points: misunderstanding between lovers, unwillingness to talk or listen to each about the past, revenge for past hurts, and a villain that is evident from the beginning. I was frustrated that the characters took so long to figu ...more
Aldy
April
IMPULSE by Candice Camp is an interesting historical Regency romance. This is a well written story of love,revenge,romance,forgiveness, healing and finding peace. The plot is intriguing.It intertwines a lost love,with finding a father,recreating a lost love and revenge.
When Angela and Cam are caught in an compromising position Angela's grandfather forces Angela into a marriage and sends Cam away.Cam is but a lowly stable boy.
Angela a's grandfather uses having Cam put into prison to get her to ma
April
When Amanda and Cam are caught in an compromising position Amanda's grandfather forces Amanda into a marriage and sends Cam away.Cam is but a lowly stable boy.Amanda's grandfather uses having Cam put into prison to get her to marr
AlbertaJenn
Paula
For a young man, Cam, who was tossed out because he loved Angela, daughter of the house, I was surprized he would come back after making his money and force her to marry him.

Victorian England is a setting so often used for the aristocratic family with father or son who gambles or throws the money away, leaving the women of the family to make sometimes terrible choices. Face financial ruin, or marry someone who is going to be "wrong" to save the family.

And wrong Dunstan was-- mis-treatment, abus
penelopewanders
Well, I suppose if you'd never read a book with this plot before, it would not be bad at all. As I have, it was at times stiflingly predictable. Camp writes well so the prose is always enjoyable, but there really were no surprises at all - or rather, the only surprise was that the characters in the book were so very slow to react to the clues slapping them across the face. Between the identities of the mysterious American investor, and the devious would-be murderer, the truth of Cam's birth and ...more
Amy
Rhapsody
Another somewhat dark romance novel. Angela, an English noble, was in love with Cam, a boy who worked in the stables. Her family found out, sent him away, and she was coerced into marrying someone else in order keep them from sending Cam to gaol. Years later, Cam comes back to England from America a millionaire and capable of ruining her family. He demands that Angela marry him (she's been divorced for 4 years). Her former husband abused her and although she finds herself attracted to Cam, she h ...more
Jillian
Erin H
Joy
As a girl, Angela was separated from her stableboy lover Cam and forced to marry an abusive lord. Now she's divorced, and he's back...and he won't rest until he's compelled her to marry him. Is he seeking revenge or something else? Who is his father? And who is trying to do him harm and why? A mostly pleasant read with your typical Camp plot twistiness (I usually guess the first mystery but not the second!), but some of Angela's suffering with her first husband is pretty awful.
Joanne
I enjoyed this book, Cam Monroe and Angela Stanhope were young and in love. Because of his station lower then her's, her family forbid their relationship. He left for America and she was forced into a ruthless marraige to a woman beater, etc.

But Cam comes back to England, a rich man now and wants only revenge on her family for taking her away from him........but will revenge work to win her love back, read to find out!!! Good read!
Marybeth Kobland
Just finished this book. I liked the story but it was a little graphic in the sexual descriptions. You can tell she is a Romance author which I'm not a big fan of Romance. I prefer her FBI series. Of course the story isn't very realistic, but I like books that take me a way and tell me a story and I admit I like happy endings. So if you want a little fantasy, a little mystery and a happy ending this would be a good book for you.
Kristy
Again, I've waited too long to give a good review on this, but I do remember liking it.

It was a bit frustrating how they both loved each other, made sacrifices for each other and years later held grudges against each other about misunderstandings that took forever for the truth to be brought to light. Or so it seemed. But it was still a good book.

I liked the villain. Well not liked him, but I liked to hate him.
DemetraP
Just too much angst and dealing with the heroine's past. It's not what I like in a historical.
Meg Elaine
Feb 22, 2013 Meg Elaine rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Meg by: My Grandmother
Shelves: own-hard-copy
This book is simply amazing Candace Camp did such a great job with the character development as well as the ever suspenseful plot. This book was given to me in a bundle of other books from my grandmother and I am so glad she did because otherwise I would have never had the pleasure of reading it. If you haven't read this book... take some time and do it ... you will enjoy every minute of it, just as I did.
~Leslie~
First time reading this author. This book started off ver slow for me and I didn't really get into it until about halfway through. It seemed a typical revenge type story which is not my fsvorite. But then it started yo change and there began to be a more real connection between the two main characters. Not compketely a 4 but way more than a 3.
Carla_Collette
I'm not sure what to say about this one--I got really caught up in the characters and the initial premise, but feel less enthusiastic about some of the plot, some of which concerned abuse, and some details about the treatment of nobility at the ending. Overall, a good escape read, though, so I'll probably try others by this author.
this book had too many characters and left me feeling overwhelmed as to who was who. I was confused until about the last 100 pages of the book. This being my first Catherine Coulter book i was unwhelmed and not very impressed, i didn't like the story line and i had to force myself through it and at times it was borderline torturess.
  • Born To Be Wild
  • A Promise of Love (Zebra Lovegram)
  • Once Upon A Scandal
  • One Wicked Sin (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #2)
  • Hawk's Way: Carter & Falcon: The Cowboy Takes A Wife\The Unforgiving Bride
  • Seven Nights to Forever
  • A Scarlet Bride
Candace Camp is the New York Times bestselling author of over sixty books.

Her first novel, *Bonds of Love*, was published by Jove Publishing in 1978, under the pseudonym Lisa Gregory. Two pseudonyms (Kristin James and Sharon Stephens)and many books later, Candace writes under her own name Candace Camp and still loves creating stories.

Candace lives in Austin, Texas, with her husband and is the mot
More about Candace Camp...
The Marriage Wager (The Matchmakers #1) The Courtship Dance (The Matchmakers #4) The Bridal Quest (The Matchmakers #2) The Wedding Challenge (The Matchmakers #3) A Winter Scandal (St. Dwynwen, #1)