Start by marking “Dogs Don't Bite When a Growl Will Do: What Your Dog Can Teach You about Living a Happy Life” as Want to Read:

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  82 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Dogs know how to relax. They forgive and forget. And they scratch where it itches. They really know how to live... Every dog lover knows that man's best friend is sincere and loyal and knows how to have fun-and that dogs are wonderful creatures who have no difficulty showing their love openly. Dogs Don't Bite When a Growl Will Do is an insightful, engaging, and witty guide ...more
Published October 5th 2004 by Perigee Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Dogs Don't Bite When a Growl Will Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dogs Don't Bite When a Growl Will Do

Trisha
Feb 06, 2009 Trisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. It captures the essence of the nature of dogs and why we love them. There are some wonderful lessons here.
In fact, this is one of those books to go back and read again, whether an entire re-read, or just a "refresher" on certain points.
Celestthebest
This is a well-intentioned book about applying the resilience and "live in the now" mind set that dogs have. Unfortunately it suffers from over-generalization of dog behavior.
Darya
This book was a required reading for my summer ethics course - yes, ethics course - because by describing dogs' antics it basically reminds us of the essential human virtues, as per Aristotle: courage, loyalty etc. The book at first appears to be sort of "A Cup of Soup for Dog Lovers", and it works just fine as a tribute to our furry friends. It's a light reading, moderately entertaining, though somewhat repetitive. Basically, I can't say it's a bad book, it's just that I can't recommend it for ...more
Meenakshi
Oct 23, 2013 Meenakshi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have a dog, you will totally understand this book. A real masterpiece.
I picked up this book when I was really upset, and within a few days, I was feeling better again. The book also reminded me of my own dogs and how much our furry best friends can teach us. :)
Stacey Lynn
This was really a great read that I couldn't put down. Makes us humans take a second look at what it must be like to be a dog as well as our relationship and bond to them. There were some very humorous accounts based on the relationship of the author and his dog.
Susan Mangigian
Nov 17, 2009 Susan Mangigian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suggested by Don Rogers. I thought I was going to buy this for my son Max but I am reading it now and I am loving it. I still pick this up and just read a chapter or so before bed sometimes when I am between books.
Heather
Apr 13, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs, 21st-ce-pub, own
I can't say enough about this book. It's so simple but so meaningful. I loved every doggy anecdote and every piece of wisdom. Dogs really can and do teach us so much. I will definitely be re-reading this regularly.
Sherri Hancock
May 11, 2012 Sherri Hancock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book about life! I'm a dog lover and I loved this book! It compares things humans do or don't do to what a dog may or may not do! Very funny!
Cyndi
Jun 27, 2008 Cyndi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cyndi by: Luke Barber
My ethics professor, Luke Barber, is the co-author. I loved this book, and I still read some of the stories from time to time.
Alyssa Hudak
Aug 05, 2009 Alyssa Hudak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, fun, uplifting book. I've marked several pages that I will frequently visit in the future.
Tiffani
Oct 30, 2011 Tiffani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book about life. good one to reread every so often to remind yourself
Sue
Jun 09, 2011 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We can learn lessons from these sensible partners. Short daily lessons.
Elaine
Aug 06, 2012 Elaine marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book. I think it is one that I really need to own.
Teresa
A commone sense way to learn about dog behavior and human behavior.
Beau
Jun 03, 2012 Beau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty cute. It's been a while...need to re-read.
Maureen
You can never read too many dog stories.
Laurie Huang
Jun 11, 2007 Laurie Huang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
Shelves: non-fiction
not just for doggie lovers
Lori
May 14, 2010 Lori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
c. 2003
S.l.
S.l. added it
Jan 30, 2016
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2015
Nancie
Nancie rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2015
Liz Shaw
Liz Shaw rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Ami Kismet
Ami Kismet marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Christine
Christine rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2015
Payce
Payce marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Lee Coleman
Lee Coleman rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2015
Grace Zabala-Cooper
Grace Zabala-Cooper marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015