The Death of Outrage: Bill Clinton and the Assault on American Ideals

The Death of Outrage: Bill Clinton and the Assault on American Ideals

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  20 reviews
In this new, updated edition of a book heralded as a clarion call to the nation's conscience, William Bennett asks why we see so little public outrage in the fade of the evidence of deep corruption within Bill Clinton's administration. The Death of Outrage examines the Monica Lewinsky scandal as it unfolded, from Clinton's denials that he had had sex with a young White Hou...more
Published September 6th 1999 by Free Press (first published September 1st 1998)

Brandon
I think this is the pre-hypocrisy version, issued before Bennett's massive gambling addiction was made public.
Kevin Kirkhoff
This book was written in 1998 and deals primarily with the Lewinsky scandal. It focuses on the public's apathy towards the President's legal, ethical, and moral failings. The book is segmented into chapters on Sex, Character, Politics, Ken Starr, Law, and Judgment. Each chapter begins with some common defenses the Clinton apologists would espouse about the Lewinsky affair. Bennett then answers each with his usual no-nonsense approach. A lot of his opinions center around the fact that the public...more
Sheri
Does being the president of one of the most powerful countries in the world mean that you are also above the law? In his book The Death of Outrage, Bill Clinton and the Assault on American Ideals, Bill Bennett tackles this question, and many others, as he explores, and responds to, the various defenses of President Clinton during the Ken Starr investigation.

Within each of the six chapters (Sex; Character; Politics; Ken Starr; Law; Judgment), Mr. Bennett provides the most common arguments used t...more
Steven
This is a well-researched and well-argued little book on the Clintons by a former Democrat. In their defense, the couple are no more than a perfect product of the self-absorbed, anything-goes wing of their generation. But Clinton assaulted more than innocent (and not-so-innocent) young ladies when he forced the "it's a private matter" defense down the collective throat of the American public.

When you are the President, there are virtually NO private matters. And certainly nothing happening in t...more
Norbert
While reading the book I had to constantly remind myself that I was not reading about Obama. Lying, corruption, failure to obey oath of office, etc.
Bennett states in his conclusion “Law is the keystone of American society and political culture. If it does not apply to small matters concerning this President, the day will come when the public will be asked to believe that it should be ignored in large matters concerning some other President. . . . The rule of law, whether applied to matters triv...more
Lynn
By far the most conservative take on the Clinton/Lewinski affair that I have read. It is also the most scholarly and well-researched one. Most interesting were the comparisions he made to the Nixon/Watergate situation, of which there were many.

I wish he would have explored the outcome for a similarly situated business executive who decided to have a relationship and sexual contact with a subordinate employee in his office.

Bennett also wrote a long essay in another publication about why the Supre...more
Cordell
I was very disappointed. I'm a conservative and the title caught my attention, but the book misses the mark compaired to its title. It could have been such a wonderful essay on the moral decline of our whole nations, its school system, and morality in general. William Bennett for all of his now realized personal faults is a brilliant man. But this book quickly turns into just another political rant against Clinton. I agreen with the general premise of the the book and I do think Clinton was wron...more
Elizabeth
Sometimes I go through a real non-fiction phase. I read this during one of those phases. I just felt the need to be more informed about what was going on during the Clinton-Lewinsky scandal. The context of the information feels dated, and I was disapointed when Bennett himself fell prey to the moral temptation and ambiguity which he accuses Clinton of; nevertheless, the concept that we are in an age where we experience the "death of outrage" or, in other words, our tolerance and acceptance has l...more
Linda
Aug 11, 2008 Linda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
I always felt Bill Clinton was a liar and could never understand why he wasn't impeached. His lies and actions were just as bad as Nixon's and yet he is still around. He was treated like a little boy caught doing some miscief rather than the President who I believe should be held to higher standards. I was outraged!
Michael Adamson
Jun 20, 2008 Michael Adamson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Michael by: Self
A great book that more people should read even though slick Willy is out of office. This book clearly has shown that we as a nation are willing to give our President a social and psychological excuse for his immature and especially immoral behavior. This book does not let Bill off the hook.
Dionne
I'm a big fan of Bill Bennett and I was very frustrated during the Clinton years that no one was outraged at Slick Willy's bad behavior. Bennett talks about how wrong that is in this book and it was the perfect book for me at that time.
Vicki
Since Hillary may be the next Democrat nominee for the presidency, I thought it would be a good idea to remember what happened when her husband was in office. The press damn sure won't talk about it.
Atchisson
I'd love my friends on the Left to read this to read this. Anytime they ask me why I despise, distrust, and just plain disregard liberals, then I could simply say "Remember on page...?"
Joani Jacob
Very good book. About the American change of attitude - "if it feels good, do it" idealogy brought on by the 60's. It was good, but kind of sad.
SueAnn
Loved this book!! What an eye opener. If you enjoy this book you might also appreciate Barbara Olson's book which is also on the Clintons.
JP
Reasonable job at summarizing the facts and effect of the Clinton Presidency. He documents a lot of lies and stands for character.
Jim
"Detailed response to the many ludicrous but effective defenses of Clinton
Griff
Discusses Bill Clinton and the assault on American ideals.
Michael
bennett is good but this is nothing special.
Charles Bell
On target but not popular.
Karan
Karan added it
Jul 12, 2014
Michael Sakowski
Michael Sakowski marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Ron
Ron added it
Apr 17, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
Mar 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
William J. "Bill" Bennett is a politician and author who served in the Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush administrations, as chief of National Endowment for the Humanities and later Secretary of Education under Reagan, and Drug Czar under Bush. He is a nationally well-known figure of political and social conservatism and authored many books on politics, ethics, and international relations.
More about William J. Bennett...
The Children's Book of Virtues The Book of Virtues America: The Last Best Hope, Volume 1: From the Age of Discovery to a World at War America: The Last Best Hope, Volume 2: From a World at War to the Triumph of Freedom 1914-1989 Moral Compass: Stories for a Life's Journey

“There are no menial jobs, only menial attitudes.” 8 likes