Start by marking “The Death of Outrage: Bill Clinton and the Assault on American Ideals” as Want to Read:
The Death of Outrage: Bill Clinton and the Assault on American Ideals

The Death of Outrage: Bill Clinton and the Assault on American Ideals

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  198 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
In this new, updated edition of a book heralded as a clarion call to the nation's conscience, William Bennett asks why we see so little public outrage in the fade of the evidence of deep corruption within Bill Clinton's administration. The Death of Outrage examines the Monica Lewinsky scandal as it unfolded, from Clinton's denials that he had had sex with a young White Hou ...more
Published September 6th 1999 by Free Press (first published September 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Death of Outrage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Death of Outrage

Brandon
Jul 30, 2007 Brandon rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
I think this is the pre-hypocrisy version, issued before Bennett's massive gambling addiction was made public.
Kevin Kirkhoff
Dec 24, 2013 Kevin Kirkhoff rated it liked it
Shelves: societal
This book was written in 1998 and deals primarily with the Lewinsky scandal. It focuses on the public's apathy towards the President's legal, ethical, and moral failings. The book is segmented into chapters on Sex, Character, Politics, Ken Starr, Law, and Judgment. Each chapter begins with some common defenses the Clinton apologists would espouse about the Lewinsky affair. Bennett then answers each with his usual no-nonsense approach. A lot of his opinions center around the fact that the public ...more
Sheri
Dec 01, 2009 Sheri rated it really liked it
Does being the president of one of the most powerful countries in the world mean that you are also above the law? In his book The Death of Outrage, Bill Clinton and the Assault on American Ideals, Bill Bennett tackles this question, and many others, as he explores, and responds to, the various defenses of President Clinton during the Ken Starr investigation.

Within each of the six chapters (Sex; Character; Politics; Ken Starr; Law; Judgment), Mr. Bennett provides the most common arguments used t
Steven
May 01, 2009 Steven rated it liked it
This is a well-researched and well-argued little book on the Clintons by a former Democrat. In their defense, the couple are no more than a perfect product of the self-absorbed, anything-goes wing of their generation. But Clinton assaulted more than innocent (and not-so-innocent) young ladies when he forced the "it's a private matter" defense down the collective throat of the American public.

When you are the President, there are virtually NO private matters. And certainly nothing happening in t
Norbert
Aug 06, 2012 Norbert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: political
While reading the book I had to constantly remind myself that I was not reading about Obama. Lying, corruption, failure to obey oath of office, etc.
Bennett states in his conclusion “Law is the keystone of American society and political culture. If it does not apply to small matters concerning this President, the day will come when the public will be asked to believe that it should be ignored in large matters concerning some other President. . . . The rule of law, whether applied to matters triv
Lynn
Feb 13, 2013 Lynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
By far the most conservative take on the Clinton/Lewinski affair that I have read. It is also the most scholarly and well-researched one. Most interesting were the comparisions he made to the Nixon/Watergate situation, of which there were many.

I wish he would have explored the outcome for a similarly situated business executive who decided to have a relationship and sexual contact with a subordinate employee in his office.

Bennett also wrote a long essay in another publication about why the Supre
Cordell
Jul 10, 2008 Cordell rated it it was ok
I was very disappointed. I'm a conservative and the title caught my attention, but the book misses the mark compaired to its title. It could have been such a wonderful essay on the moral decline of our whole nations, its school system, and morality in general. William Bennett for all of his now realized personal faults is a brilliant man. But this book quickly turns into just another political rant against Clinton. I agreen with the general premise of the the book and I do think Clinton was wron ...more
Elizabeth
Jun 10, 2008 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Sometimes I go through a real non-fiction phase. I read this during one of those phases. I just felt the need to be more informed about what was going on during the Clinton-Lewinsky scandal. The context of the information feels dated, and I was disapointed when Bennett himself fell prey to the moral temptation and ambiguity which he accuses Clinton of; nevertheless, the concept that we are in an age where we experience the "death of outrage" or, in other words, our tolerance and acceptance has l ...more
Linda
Aug 11, 2008 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
I always felt Bill Clinton was a liar and could never understand why he wasn't impeached. His lies and actions were just as bad as Nixon's and yet he is still around. He was treated like a little boy caught doing some miscief rather than the President who I believe should be held to higher standards. I was outraged!
Dionne
Jul 25, 2008 Dionne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Bill Bennett and I was very frustrated during the Clinton years that no one was outraged at Slick Willy's bad behavior. Bennett talks about how wrong that is in this book and it was the perfect book for me at that time.
Vicki
Oct 01, 2013 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
Since Hillary may be the next Democrat nominee for the presidency, I thought it would be a good idea to remember what happened when her husband was in office. The press damn sure won't talk about it.
Atchisson
Jan 31, 2008 Atchisson rated it really liked it
I'd love my friends on the Left to read this to read this. Anytime they ask me why I despise, distrust, and just plain disregard liberals, then I could simply say "Remember on page...?"
Joani Jacob
Sep 25, 2010 Joani Jacob rated it really liked it
Very good book. About the American change of attitude - "if it feels good, do it" idealogy brought on by the 60's. It was good, but kind of sad.
SueAnn
Dec 07, 2009 SueAnn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book!! What an eye opener. If you enjoy this book you might also appreciate Barbara Olson's book which is also on the Clintons.
JP
May 18, 2013 JP rated it it was ok
Reasonable job at summarizing the facts and effect of the Clinton Presidency. He documents a lot of lies and stands for character.
Jim
Feb 19, 2008 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, non
"Detailed response to the many ludicrous but effective defenses of Clinton
Griff
Nov 08, 2009 Griff rated it liked it
Discusses Bill Clinton and the assault on American ideals.
Michael
Nov 28, 2007 Michael rated it it was ok
Shelves: politics
bennett is good but this is nothing special.
Charles Bell
Aug 08, 2009 Charles Bell rated it it was amazing
On target but not popular.
NCUsedBooks
NCUsedBooks marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Timothy McGhee
Timothy McGhee marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Ben Denison
Ben Denison marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Jeff Berens
Jeff Berens rated it did not like it
Mar 30, 2016
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Subodh
Subodh added it
Mar 17, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
Megan Young
Megan Young marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Steve Flinner
Steve Flinner marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
  • The Final Days: The Last, Desperate Abuses of Power by the Clinton White House
  • Bias: A CBS Insider Exposes How the Media Distort the News
  • The Case Against Hillary Clinton
  • Deliver Us from Evil: Defeating Terrorism, Despotism, and Liberalism
  • Shadow: Five Presidents and the Legacy of Watergate
  • How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must): The World According to Ann Coulter
  • The Death of Right and Wrong: Exposing the Left's Assault on Our Culture and Values
  • The Right Man: The Surprise Presidency of George W. Bush
  • Rediscovering God in America: Reflections on the Role of Faith in Our Nation's History and Future
  • Worth the Fighting for: A Memoir
  • The Trunk Murderess: Winnie Ruth Judd
  • Still the Best Hope: Why the World Needs American Values to Triumph
  • The Death of Common Sense: How Law Is Suffocating America
William J. "Bill" Bennett is a politician and author who served in the Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush administrations, as chief of National Endowment for the Humanities and later Secretary of Education under Reagan, and Drug Czar under Bush. He is a nationally well-known figure of political and social conservatism and authored many books on politics, ethics, and international relations.
More about William J. Bennett...

“There are no menial jobs, only menial attitudes.” 12 likes