Start by marking “Medea” as Want to Read:
Medea

Medea

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  38,461 Ratings  ·  828 Reviews
Medea ordisce una vendetta tremenda contro il marito che l'ha abbandonata, uccidendo i propri figli e negandogli così l'autorità paterna istituzionalmente riconosciuta. Il genio di Euripide ci presenta un'eroina tragica totalmente nuova per la cultura greca del tempo, una donna appassionata e lucida, in cui l'impulso emotivo si unisce a un estremo controllo intellettuale.
Paperback, Classici Greci e Latini, 235 pages
Published October 1st 1997 by Rizzoli (first published -431)

To ask other readers questions about Medea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Medea

Kalliope
Nov 21, 2015 Kalliope rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classical, greece, drama

Medea, with her suffering, her hatred, her cruelty, has been present this week in my life. Her myth living in various guises of representation. And all engaged me in various degrees and manner.

It all started on Monday when, touring the Thyssen Musem in the search of paintings which had to do with the idea of ‘Travel”, I stopped to admire this painting, The Argonauts Leaving Colchis, by Ercole de Roberti (ca 1480). This depicts the earlier part of the Myth – the adventure in Colchis, The Voyage
Paquita Maria Sanchez
Gracious, hell hath no fury. While tunneling through Ovid's Metamorphoses, I've been coming across a lot of familiar stories from childhood, the ones that have stuck with me over the years and from which I find frequent references in popular culture (and life in general) such as this tale of a famous warrior who scorns his sorceress wife for another woman (you dumbass), the story of Medusa and Perseus, the rape and imprisonment of Persephone, etc. I have also, with wholly unchecked excitement, d ...more
Lyn
Jun 22, 2015 Lyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

Although this line comes from the Bible, the distant origins of the sentiment is frozen in human memory; but its earliest dramatic expression may have originated with Euripides. I think he just gave it words; the instinct of some women to be vindictive carriers of hellish wrath is innate. I have handled more than a few divorces where all parties involved – both attorneys and the husband – stood in open mouthed shock and amazement of how damned mad the wife
Des
Jul 23, 2007 Des rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
Euripides writes a masterpiece of love, betrayal and revenge. Medea gives up everything for the man she falls in love with. She pulls him out of jail and certain death, she departs with him from the safety of her kingdom, she kills her own brother in order to guard her lover and at the end he abandons her for another younger woman. Medea poisons this woman and kills her children to take revenge. The mother chooses to sacrifice her own children to ease the pain of unfaithfulness.
The last scene o
Τζο
Jan 07, 2016 Τζο rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Μου αρέσει πολυ να γραφω κριτικές για αρχαιες τραγωδιες ή φιλοσοφικά κείμενα διότι μπορω μιλησω για αυτα ελεύθερα χωρις να φοβαμαι μήπως και spoilerιασω καποιον μιας και ολοι ξέρουμε λιγο-πολυ το τι συμβαίνει στο εργο.

Η Μηδεια ειναι η γυναικα που σκότωσε τα παιδια της,αυτο το ξέρουμε ολοι.Γιατι σκοτωσε τα παιδια της το ξέρουν οι περισσότεροι αλλα το τι υπήρχε στο μυαλό και στην ψυχη της θα το μαθεις μονο αμα διαβασεις τα λόγια της στην αρχαια τραγωδια.Που ξέρεις,μπορεί και στο τέλος να την συμπα
Marco Tamborrino
"No, per le tue ginocchia,
ti prego, t'invoco, ti supplico,
no, non uccidere i figli!
E dove di mano dominio
attinger potrai, dove d'animo,
che avventi la strage terribile
al cuor dei tuoi pargoli?
L'occhio volgendo su lor,
l'esterminio compier potrai senza lagrime?
Quando con supplici grida
dinanzi essi ti cadano,
tu non potrai con saldo animo
tinger la mano omicida."

In ogni parola di questa famosa tragedia di Euripide c'è la pesantezza di un atto che rimane carico di tragicità anche nel mondo di oggi. Q
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
There is scholarly evidence to support the idea that Euripides was hired by the people of Corinth to write this play to make Medea into a villain: not even crazy but a purely evil woman who would (view spoiler). I did a paper on it in grad school. Of course I don't know where my paper is nor the citations but who needs references in an opinion piece? ;)

I did the research after I read The Dawn Palace, a young adult novel with a feminist take on the story. (T
صان
Apr 28, 2016 صان rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
بی نظیر بود!
بعد تر کامل تر چیزی مینویسم دربارش همینجا
Núria
Mar 22, 2009 Núria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: shakespearianos
Medea es una mujer que lo dejó todo por el hombre del que se enamoró. Medea cometió actos de violencia escalofriantes para ayudar al hombre que quería. Pero luego este hombre se lo agradeció dejándola tirada y liándose con una mujer a la que ni si quiera quiere tampoco, pero que tiene la ventaja de ser la hija de un rey. Como abandonó a su padre y su marido la ha abandonado a ella, se ha quedado sola y una mujer sola no existe. Lo único que le queda es vengarse.

Para vengarse Medea se atreve a h
David Sarkies
Mar 31, 2014 David Sarkies rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Tragedy
Recommended to David by: David Hester
Shelves: tragedy
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
13 February 2012

Surely, of all creatures that have life and will, we women
Are the most wretched. When, for an extravagant sum,
We have bought a husband, we must then accept him as
Possessor of our body. This is to aggravate
Wrong with worse wrong. Then the great question: will the man
We get be bad or good? For woman, divorce is not
Respectable; to repel the man, not possible. (Trans Phillip Veracott)

These few lines near the opening of Euripides' Medea pre
Sita
Oct 24, 2011 Sita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Amazing Writing and Plays
I read this for my Ancient History class. I was going to give a oral presentation on Greek Theatre and one of the great playwrights of that time Euripides and even though he really wasn't recognised as a good playwright back then, he is now remembered as one of the best playwrights from that time.

Medea is about a woman who kills her two children to get revenge on her husband, because he left her for a younger woman. That's basically the gist of the play. But damn is it an amazing play.

The monol
Carolina Morales
Warning: sensitive parents, stay away from this greek myth. Those who couldn't handle Thomas Hardy Jude, 'The Obscure' must not give it a try, either.

Medea is a very clever sorceress who helped Jason (yes, that one with the golden fleece) to find victory through shrewd schemes rather than physical force. Because, as we all know, even when not able to use their hands women made a point into using their brains. Just ask Penelope.. However, Medea didn't help Jason for kindness of her tender heart:
Shadn
Jun 23, 2015 Shadn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MEDEA OWNED HIS ASS AND JASON NEEDS TO WORK ON HIS WORD CHOICES DAMN HE'S A WEAK ASS MOTHERFUCKER. I'D GIVE THIS MORE STARS THAN FIVE IF I COULD.....
sad part is, sounds exactly like the conflicts of a saudi polygamous family
Yani
May 17, 2015 Yani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teatro, universidad
[…] Pues la mujer es medrosa y no puede/ aprestarse a la lucha ni contemplar las armas,/ pero, cuando la ofenden en lo que toca al lecho,/ nada hay en todo el mundo más sanguinario que ella.

Carcajada de bruja de fondo. Y eso es, por supuesto, un agregado mío, porque en realidad Medea no se ríe mientras lo dice. Medea sufre y reflexiona sobre su condición de mujer y de desterrada, además de mujer traicionada. Me sorprende que Eurípides se haya detenido en estas cuestiones en esa época y si lo t
Rebecca
Sep 05, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Bellissima. Meravigliosa. Potente come poche.
Shivam Chaturvedi
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.
Luís Blue Yorkie
A Greek tragedy.

Medea, representing the foreign people (barbarian), considered inferior by the Greeks. Before the beginning of the play, which begins after the abandonment of Medea by Jason, Medea helps Jason, with the help of his magical powers, to win the golden fleece, with the proviso of this marry her, which was a form of social mobility for her to marry a Greek, in addition to being in love with him because of the spell of Hera and Aphrodite.
Medea portrays well as poor was a woman in an
Dexter
Apr 06, 2013 Dexter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good tragedy, not as good as Sophocles' works. The charm of Euripides is that he wrote more in the vernacular than Sophocles and Aeschylus did. Maybe this was what added to his post-humous appeal among the Greek theatre goers.

This play tells the tale of a woman scorned, and vengeance. At times during the play, it was hard to side with either Jason or Medea--Jason had his legitimate reasons for what he's done (wanting to make his children with Medea legitimate by marrying a non-barbarian), and so
Maria Pallozzi
La tragedia di Medea racconta del furore che colse una donna che era sempre stata pronta a tutto per l'amore della sua vita, Giasone, anche uccidere il fratello, rubare al padre il Vello d'oro e commettere tanti altri atti violenti per renderlo felice che viene di punto in bianco ripudiata dall'amato per un matrimonio di interesse con la figlia del re Creonte.
Medea si abbandona alla vendetta, vuole rovinare Giasone, annientarlo, fargli desiderare d'esser morto senza accogliere la sua richiesta.
E
Jenny
Apr 06, 2016 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! A Greek tragedy of Greek tragedies. I can't even imagine this live. The dialogue is excellent, and the translation is really well done. The sarcasm and bitterness are certainly contemporary in a way that I didn't expect. Medea...what a great character. I feel her rage and intense hurt. I feel her triumph. She rides a chariot pulled by dragons!
I recommend this to people who enjoy Greek drama and to any woman who has ever been betrayed by a man she loved!
Arwa
Oct 28, 2015 Arwa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
I don't remember reading something that inspires such insanely strong feelings before. I love how Medea's intense emotions drove her to do the unexpected. It makes me sad to think of how miserable women can be!
The play can be taken as the perfect example of feminism. It's rather strange to think of a relationship between a man and a woman in a play that is written in 431 B.C. as something universal and fathom and feel every line in it. It's not limited to a certain time nor place as if it was pa
Hestia
Jan 22, 2016 Hestia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: need-to-buy
Ayah
May 29, 2015 Ayah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ذروة المآسي البشرية .. وقعت السماء على رأسها .. فضل عليها امرأة أخرى فاقتلعت كل ما يربطها به ، قتلت ولديهما .. و قتلت تلك المراة ..
فاجعة النساء و أمثولتهم .. ميديا يوربيديس .. أنت القدوة و الجمال كله .. ليعلموا أننا نستطيع اقتلاع احشائهم عندما يتجاوزون قلوبنا .. كل التصفيق و التعاطف و الامتثال لحجم ألمك ..
Jane
Penetrating psychological study of Medea, the wronged wife, and Jason, the unfeeling, selfish contemptible husband. Classic revenge tragedy.
Sahar
Mar 30, 2012 Sahar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
مسرحية ميديا لليوناني يوروبيدس

الفضول لعالم المسرح قادني لقرائتها, وإن كانت غايتك كغايتي فهي خيار مثالي
حيث أنها مباشره ومختصره ومليئة بالتراجيديا وتعكس لك إثاره أكبر لصياغتها لعالم الآلهات الاغريقيه بصوره مبسّطه لا تقلل من هيبة التراث اليوناني شيئاً.

لكنني أجد تقييمها في عالم الأدب مبالغ فيه قليلاً للقارئ البسيط الغير متخصص في الأدب أو دراسة المسرح. فتصنيفها من ضمن أروع الأعمال العالميه جاء بعده تفسيرات امتدّت لصفحات لتبرير هذا التصنيف, وحقيقةً لا أرى أن الأعمال العظيمه بحاجه إلى تبرير عظمتها وش
Terence
Jul 15, 2013 Terence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have mentioned in reviews of modern adaptations of Medea that she is one of my favorite mythological characters. Her story in the hands of various authors is endlessly fascinating to me. It’s a tale that touches on themes of love and hate, obsession, faith and loyalty, and in its most profound reading reflects human beings in their most complex nature. Up to now, my favorite translation has been Frederic Prokosch’s, written in 1947 and which I have in a collection of Greek plays edited by Dudl ...more
John Wiswell
Jun 05, 2008 John Wiswell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Classics lovers
Let's start this one off right: go hug your mom. If she's too far away, at least call.

Now that that's out of the way, Medea. Whiny, crazy, prone to ranting, wronged into insanity, her myth is a very fertile ground for feminism. But Euripedes' play is a weak example of feminism, only giving it shallow lipservice and always drawing it back to the rambling (if rhetorically powerful) main character rather than working on universal themes. Some playwrights write about universal themes, while Euripede
Sydney
3 stars
Love, did you say? It is a mighty curse.
Well, I actually enjoyed Medea more than I was expecting to. Despite the fact that Medea is absolutely batshit, I was so into this. Maybe because I'm weirdly into women exacting revenge on men who are the worst? There were a few things that made me think 'oh...don't do that Medea...' but overall I was actually really into this. Maybe I'll talk more about this later, but for right now I'll just say that I did enjoy it.
Joaquín Jiménez
Esta tragedia de Eurípides envuelve a la heroína Medea en una sociedad patriarcal y misógina. Se ve que el rol de la mujer quiere ser cambiado y Medea es el perfecto ejemplo de esto. Es increíble que el tragediógrafo Eurípides haya pensado desde un tiempo tan arcaico en un empoderamiento de la mujer y una reivindicación de su posición frente a la polis griega.
Medea expresa esta represión que han tenido que vivir las mujeres. Es la representación no solo de un sentimiento específico, sino que de
Annelies
Jan 27, 2016 Annelies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
About medea:

So… you save husbands life, have a family, then he leaves you for another woman ‘for the good of your family’, yeah, honey, great plan, why not! No wonder you’re, let’s say, slightly upset.

I wondered whether the killing of the children is an act of revenge or an act of motherly love? Is she convinced they will die anyway and therefore prefers to kill them herself?

"My friends, I am resolved upon the deed; at once will I slay my children and then leave this land, without delaying long
Goodreads Librari...: please edit book 3 18 May 18, 2015 09:46AM
Who are some similar Greek/Roman authors? 3 44 Oct 15, 2014 07:24AM
All About Books: Group Play - Medea (Spring '14) 42 71 Jul 05, 2014 06:39AM
  • Electra
  • Eumenides (Ορέστεια, #3)
  • Birds
  • The Recognition of 'Sakuntala: A Play in Seven Acts
  • بوستان سعدی
  • Phaedra
(Greek: Ευριπίδης )
Euripides (Ancient Greek: Εὐριπίδης) (ca. 480 BC–406 BC) was the last of the three great tragedians of classical Athens (the other two being Aeschylus and Sophocles). Ancient scholars thought that Euripides had written ninety-five plays, although four of those were probably written by Critias. Eighteen of Euripides' plays have survived complete. It is now widely believed that wh
More about Euripides...

8 trivia questions
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Stronger than lover's love is lover's hate. Incurable, in each, the wounds they make.” 306 likes
“Hate is a bottomless cup; I will pour and pour” 115 likes