Start by marking “The Moon Ring” as Want to Read:
The Moon Ring

The Moon Ring

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In the light of a blue moon, the second full moon in a month, Maxine discovers something amazing in the grass: a magical moon ring! Ahead lies a night of adventure beyond anything Maxine could have imagined, as she is whisked around the globe, from the ice floes of Antarctica to the sunbaked African savannah to the neon lights of New York City. Is it all just a dream? Only ...more
Published July 1st 2002 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about The Moon Ring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moon Ring

Paige
The Moon Ring by Randy DuBurke is a story about a girl who finds a magic moon ring that has fallen from the sky. The girl's grandmother explains to her that the second full moon of the month, a blue moon, is out and magic is all around on blue-moon nights. With the moon ring in hand, the girl is able to make wishes that take her on wonderful adventures to Antarctica, Africa, and New York City until she wakes up in her own bed the next morning. Did she dream those adventures as her mother believe ...more
Meg McGregor
I really liked this story! I had never heard of a "moon ring" before and thought it had something to do with being a ring around the moon.

But no! A moon ring is a circular object that falls down from a blue moon. A blue moon is the second full moon in a month. And Grandma tells Maxine that "Magic loves blue-moon light!"

When Maxine discovers the moon ring she wishes to be cooler and her wish is instantly granted! She is transported to the Arctic where she has fun with the penguins and seals until
Lynn
Attractive illustrations invited me to look more closely to see that yes, the moon WAS shining, and the stars, and the magic moon ring! Realistic illustrations show delighted facial expressions, even the electrical wiring on the side of the house, and a Band-Aid on Maxine's knee. Starting with Grandma's explanation of a blue moon, it dives quickly into a fantasy of 4 wishes. How did Maxine know there would be 4? Why 4?
Cheryl
"Lively" isn't the word for the illustrations - they're even more than that. The story seems thin and superficial, though. Maybe 2.5 stars.
Gail Barge
I love the imagination the young girl in this story has. I would use this story of show my students how to use creative writing to tell about what they would wish for if they had a moon ring full of magic. The grandmother in the story is so inspiring to the young girl and I would hope to inspire my students to use their imaginations. I would have students write their own stories full of wishes they would make with a moon ring and then publish a class book of own whole classes wishes!
Mary
This is a great book about the power of imagination and the strength of one little girl's belief. The little girl's grandmother tells her about how the moon can grant wishes in the form of a moon ring during a blue moon. It comes true for the girl, and she goes on an amazing adventure! But...was it really real? Great for ECE and early elementary readers.
April
This book was quite random to me. It didn't have much to keep my interest and it wasn't very exciting. I don't know that kids would enjoy this book very much, other than the fact that the moon ring itself is shinier than the rest of the pictures. The plot wasn't very thick.
Dayna
the illustrations in this book is really fascinating. They border on illustration/photography.
Lisa
I loved this adorable book about the magic of the moon and dreams!
BGCC
BGCC marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Loisa
Loisa added it
Mar 25, 2015
Dione Basseri
Dione Basseri marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Marie
Marie added it
Jun 30, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Laura added it
Jun 06, 2014
Charmie McKinney
Charmie McKinney marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Sherree Lane
Sherree Lane marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Little Mister Hunter's Heart Book 2: Forgotten Dreams Hunter's Heart Book 1: The Murderer Among Us Hunter's Heart Book 3: Past Lives Hunter's Heart