Start by marking “The Moon Ring” as Want to Read:
The Moon Ring

The Moon Ring

In the light of a blue moon, the second full moon in a month, Maxine discovers something amazing in the grass: a magical moon ring! Ahead lies a night of adventure beyond anything Maxine could have imagined, as she is whisked around the globe, from the ice floes of Antarctica to the sunbaked African savannah to the neon lights of New York City. Is it all just a dream? Only ...more
Published July 1st 2002 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about The Moon Ring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moon Ring

Skye Kilaen
A fun picture book that should be on more diverse kids' book lists! Maxine finds out that her grandmother wasn't joking about the magic light of a blue moon. The story isn’t particularly complex, but it’s buoyed up by the exuberant art. Will be popular with any kids (or adults) who love comics, animation, adventure, or giraffes.
Paige
Jan 26, 2014 Paige rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The Moon Ring by Randy DuBurke is a story about a girl who finds a magic moon ring that has fallen from the sky. The girl's grandmother explains to her that the second full moon of the month, a blue moon, is out and magic is all around on blue-moon nights. With the moon ring in hand, the girl is able to make wishes that take her on wonderful adventures to Antarctica, Africa, and New York City until she wakes up in her own bed the next morning. Did she dream those adventures as her mother believe ...more
Olivia Warren
Jan 17, 2017 Olivia Warren rated it it was amazing
Such a thrilling, exciting read! Adventure packed and full of surprises this book is great for children with huge imaginations and fantasies. A great read-along book and before bed book, this read will be a favorite for all!
Meg McGregor
Oct 07, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it really liked it
I really liked this story! I had never heard of a "moon ring" before and thought it had something to do with being a ring around the moon.

But no! A moon ring is a circular object that falls down from a blue moon. A blue moon is the second full moon in a month. And Grandma tells Maxine that "Magic loves blue-moon light!"

When Maxine discovers the moon ring she wishes to be cooler and her wish is instantly granted! She is transported to the Arctic where she has fun with the penguins and seals until
Gail Barge
I love the imagination the young girl in this story has. I would use this story of show my students how to use creative writing to tell about what they would wish for if they had a moon ring full of magic. The grandmother in the story is so inspiring to the young girl and I would hope to inspire my students to use their imaginations. I would have students write their own stories full of wishes they would make with a moon ring and then publish a class book of own whole classes wishes!
Lynn
Jan 12, 2014 Lynn rated it liked it
Attractive illustrations invited me to look more closely to see that yes, the moon WAS shining, and the stars, and the magic moon ring! Realistic illustrations show delighted facial expressions, even the electrical wiring on the side of the house, and a Band-Aid on Maxine's knee. Starting with Grandma's explanation of a blue moon, it dives quickly into a fantasy of 4 wishes. How did Maxine know there would be 4? Why 4?
Shannon
Jan 16, 2016 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: astronomy
Inside Cover: In the light of a blue moon -- the second full moon in a month, Grandma explains -- Maxine discovers something amazing in the grass: a magical moon ring! Ahead lies a night of adventure beyond anything MAxine could have imagined, as she is whisked around the globe, from the ice floes of Antarctica to the sunbaked African savannah to the neon lights of New York City. Is it all just a dream? Or is the magic of the moon ring real? Only Maxine and Grandma know for sure.
Mary
This is a great book about the power of imagination and the strength of one little girl's belief. The little girl's grandmother tells her about how the moon can grant wishes in the form of a moon ring during a blue moon. It comes true for the girl, and she goes on an amazing adventure! But...was it really real? Great for ECE and early elementary readers.
April
Dec 09, 2009 April rated it it was ok
This book was quite random to me. It didn't have much to keep my interest and it wasn't very exciting. I don't know that kids would enjoy this book very much, other than the fact that the moon ring itself is shinier than the rest of the pictures. The plot wasn't very thick.
Elizabeth P
Elizabeth P rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2008
Krista
Krista rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2009
Schuerra
Schuerra rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2010
Dayna
Aug 06, 2008 Dayna rated it liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
the illustrations in this book is really fascinating. They border on illustration/photography.
Sagan
Sagan rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2015
Pauline
Pauline rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2015
Valerie
Valerie rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2013
Kerrie Best
Kerrie Best rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2014
Mary Margeret
Mary Margeret rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2007
Yoel
Yoel rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2011
Trisan
Trisan rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2014
Silverana
Silverana rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2011
Christina
Christina rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2014
Lisa
Jul 18, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I loved this adorable book about the magic of the moon and dreams!
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2014
Lesley
Lesley rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2012
Jen V
Jen V rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2011
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2012
Jamie Forrest
Jamie Forrest rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2012
Destinee
Destinee rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016