3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  392 ratings  ·  95 reviews
It can be lonely sometimes on a rainy day in a big house with no one else around and there’s only the quiet to keep you company. But if you find a key, a mysterious key, that leads you to an unexpected place . . . chances are your afternoon is about to get a lot more interesting.
Published April 9th 2007 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published December 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Rainstorm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rainstorm

The Arrival by Shaun TanFlotsam by David WiesnerTuesday by David WiesnerThe Snowman by Raymond BriggsGood Dog, Carl by Alexandra Day
Wordless Picture Books
34th out of 126 books — 208 voters
Oh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussMadeline by Ludwig BemelmansGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussIsh by Peter H. Reynolds
After School Club Books
51st out of 97 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Jun 04, 2011 Kathryn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathryn by: Lisa Vegan
I very much enjoyed this wordless picture book about a little boy who is bored at home on a rainy day. When he finds a key, it opens a very special trunk that happens to transport him to the neighboring island! The adventures he enjoys there are sweet and fun and I thought the ending of the book was especially great.

The author explains in her bio that sometimes she loved rainy days at home, feeling all cozy and sheltered from the storm--but that she wrote this book for the *other* times when she...more
Lisa Vegan
Apr 02, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: boys and girls; readers & pre-readers & readers who enjoy wordless picture books
This is (yet another) wonderful wordless picture book. The pictures perfectly tell the story of a lonely and bored little boy, but not a timid one, who finds a way to have some adventures and some friends. The colorful pictures are great; they have a bit of an old-fashioned quality which appealed to me. The dog that appears in many of the illustrations is adorable and, for me, a welcome part of the story.

I appreciate how books such as this can be read by pre-readers and those who struggle with t...more
Mindy
Rainstorm is a wordless narrative about a boy who is bored on a rainy day. All alone in an empty room, the boy stares out the window. He gloomily kicks a ball down the stairs. When he looks under a chair to find the ball, the boy finds a key. He goes around the house and tries to figure out what the key goes to. He discovers that the key goes to a treasure chest, and inside the treasure chest is a ladder that leads to a dungeon and an underground passage. Then the boy climbs up a very tall stair...more
David
Rainstorm by Barbara Lehman is a wordless narrative picturebook about a bored little boy who finds a key on a rainy day.

On a rainy day, a rich, bored boy plays with a ball, then finds a key. Trying varous locks, he finally opens a trunk with the top of a ladder sticking out of it. Descending the ladder, he follows a tunnel that leads to another door into a lighthouse on a neighboring island. There he's discovered by three children and their dog. They play all day then he returns home, after the...more
Sarah Plitt
Rainstorm

The book Rainstorm is a pensive, and intriguing read. The dust jacket of the story already implies a hidden meaning with its dark undertones and the contrast of a sunny day depicted in the small window. This immediately prompted my curiosity to discover the plot of the seemingly ominous story. The illustrations are shown through a series of scrolls that show a boy who seems privileged but bored. The boy’s pristine ensemble and dwelling imply that his family is wealthy. The question of w...more
A wonderfully illustrated wordless book. A lonely boy finds a mystery key on a lonely day. The key unlocks a chest and the boy follows an enchanting circular staircase. He makes friends and passes the day exploring a new and different world.

The illustrations are charming and logical. An excellent introduction to graphic representations and how to use pictures to tell a story.

The beginning of the book feels poor-little-rich-boy. The house has a suit of armor in it!
Randie
Have you ever wished you could escape from a dreary rainy day? Well, wish no more! :-). Lehman's brilliant wordless book is a story of a boy who is bored on a rainy day, until he finds a key that takes him on a journey of exploration, friendship, and fun.

I have always loved staying in on rainy days but I still found the book to creatively grant this wish of exploration and fun.
Cheryl in CC NV
I dunno. This was lovely, in it's way, but it just didn't quite work for me. I guess I would have liked more fantastic elements - as is, there's really only one bit that couldn't quite happen. A realistic story, a fantasy, a mix of the two, all work for me. An unbalanced mix just seems off.
Michelle
In this intriguing and fascinating wordless story from Barbara Lehman, a young boy is bored and alone inside a big, empty house on a rainy day. As he dejectedly kicks his ball around the house, he finds a mysterious key. Eager for something to entertain himself with, he begins trying the key in every lock he can find in the old house. Finally, the boy discovers an old, unassuming trunk—the key opens it, revealing an improbable ladder and a secret passageway to an unknown place. Should he go? Of...more
Linsay Piersawl
This wordless picture book written and illustrated by Barbara Lehman leaves a lot open for interpretation. We are introduced to little boy that seems to be home alone during a rainstorm. As he roams around in search for entertainment he stumbles upon a key. He searches high and low until he finds the lock that it fits. He quickly discovers a cure for his boredom by traveling to a secret world found in an old trunk.
I would recommend this picture book for 1st and 2nd graders. The illustrations ge...more
Maggie
CIP: "In this wordless picture book, a boy finds a mysterious key which leads him on an adventure one rainy day."

Maggie: While stuck inside on a rainy afternoon, a young boy finds an unfamiliar key which opens the lock of a large trunk, which in turn leads to unforeseen adventure. Lehman's illustrations are beautiful--crisp and clear enough for younger readers to comprehend what is happening in the story. This title would be a great choice for a pre-school storytime to encourage a dialogue with...more
Kelsie Williams
I came across this book in the library when I was searching for Lehman's book "The Little Red Book". Since the library did not currently have the book I was looking for, I figured I would try out another one of Lehman's books to see how it was. This book is what I chose as my wordless book. The front jacket of the book appears to be a boy looking out the window of a building at the rain. The cover of the book differs from the jacket. The cover of the book is white and on the front of it there is...more
Clarcy
Sep 20, 2013 Clarcy added it
"Rainstorm" by Barbara Lehman is a beautifully illustrated story of a young boy trapped in his lonely home on a rainy day. His big adventure occurs when he happens to find a key, which opens a secret passageway to a lighthouse where he makes new friends and is able to enjoy a sunny, fun filled day. He makes it home in time for dinner, and returns to the lighthouse the next day to bring his new found friends home to his house to play.
This story is told without words, and the images are drawn in...more
Carriek
Kimberly
Strong wordless picture book. I think I'd probably be more wowed by it if I hadn't just reread Aaron Becker's Journey, which follows a similar storyline, but Rainstorm is still a solid wordless book with beautiful illustrations and an engaging story, and those are always worth discovering.
Danny Pease
I liked this book and I wasn't sure I was going to in the beginning because it was just illustrations and no words. However, as it goes on it creates some mystery and really forces you to use your imagination. I like how it made me think of when I was young and the things I would do when I was alone and wasn't able to go out side and play because of the rain or other bad weather. The last illustration really makes brings the story full circle and shows the great imagination of the child. I would...more
Karen
Mar 14, 2014 Karen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mothers and their little ones
Recommended to Karen by: Luisa pulled it off the shelf at the library
I LOVE books without words for my little ones. We enjoy them so much more than "stories." So much to talk about, so much to notice in the illustrations. And they are different every time you read them!

This is a good one!
Jerilyn
I use this book for sequencing and have the students tell the story. After we determine the true sequence and the events, I ask the students to extend the story in their writing journals.
Maria Celis
Book choice for class assignment: narrate a wordless book

Online presentation tool used: Voicethread

LINK: https://voicethread.com/share/5470037/
Linda
There is something almost, 'quiet', about a wordless picture book that lets you just melt into the pictures and become a part of the story.

I hadn't seen any of Barbara Lehman's books before - but now I'm on a mission to find more, because the naive pictures and exciting, imaginative story was not only believable but actually strangly possible. Fantastic. 4yro+

Postnote: Just realised that I've read The Red Book, which was lovely and just as imaginative - but Rainstorm was far more satisfying (an...more
Lynn
An unlikely friendship unexpectedly occurs in this wordless picture book. One may wonder why it was raining when the boy went into the tunnel but not when he came out, and why the lighthouse family children had not previously discovered the door to the tunnel .
Clear, colored illustrations convey the story line, would be a good story to share with young children so they could tell the story.
Kara Anderson
Every kid dreams of finding a trap door and secret passage ways. This is a fantastic book!
Kaethe
Bored kid at home alone on a rainy day discovers a key, finds the lock it fits, goes down the secret staircase and long hall and up another staircase to discover a lighthouse and kids to play with. The art is as perfectly straightforward as the description, with a nice heavy line style and a crispness I really enjoyed.

And who doesn't want to live in a big Georgian house and discover a secret stairway on a rainy day?

This is the wordless book to give the young child who'll be receiving Harry Potte...more
Emily
Jan 14, 2009 Emily rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Emily by: Alibris.com
Didn't we all want a secret trap door (or portal of a wardrobe) in our bedrooms when we were kids?

I was just thinking of this long-ago desire this morning as I was doing laundry in the basement and Rees and Hazel were opening up the strange little door in our hallway above me, peeking at me through the joists, and lowering down toys on a jump rope to surprise me, giggling with glee the whole time, naturally. What fun to see the world through a child's eyes!

Back to Rainstorm, it's magic for a ra...more
Nancy
Apr 27, 2014 Nancy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nancy by: Goodreads
Shelves: children-s
A nice wordless picture book. A little adventure and friendship.
Lisa
This book is so awsome, everytime we read it we go crazy for it again. This is a great author who creates really engaging stories without words, only pictures. My kids like me to narrate the story for them. It's really fun. All her books kind of have a dream-like quality and play around with time and space. Even though these are sophisticated concepts, kids really "get" these stories. I've been reading them to my kids since they were super little, like 2. and I think really any age would enjoy t...more
Dawn
Beautiful.
Mama Adventure
We finally had to return "The Secret Box" to the library again (I think we might need to buy our own copy.) Rainstorm is our 2nd favorite. The stories Barbara Lehman tells - without any words at all, just wonderful illustrations - are beautiful and just the right amount of mystical. My son LOVES these stories and I love them because I can tell them again and again and change them up a bit, or, when he's in the mood, HE can "read" them to ME!

6/1/13 - We have it out of the library again!
Karen
This was a book that my four-year-old son checked out from the library.

My son liked this book, but I'm don't think he really understand this book. With few exceptions, I'm not really a big fan of wordless picture books, either. Especially ones that have details, like the key, which are at first hard to see, or those that are ambiguous, such as the meeting with the other children.

The artwork was lovely for this book, and would have been perfect if there had been some simple text.
Becky
Aug 09, 2007 Becky rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: good for lap reading and making up the words as you read
Another good book from wordless picture book queen Barbara Lehman! Everyone can relate to the boredom of being stuck in the house during a rainstorm. But what happens when you find a mysterious key that could lead you anywhere?

I like her characters' dot eyes (dotted i's?) and her very geometric compositions within strong black frames (except that the top of the lighthouse pokes out of the frame, making it look extra tall!). Her black outlines give her watercolors a solid look.
  • The Chicken Thief
  • The Tree House
  • Peter Spier's Rain
  • Sidewalk Circus
  • The Boy and the Airplane
Barbara Lehman is an illustrator and author of children's books.
More about Barbara Lehman...
The Red Book The Secret Box Museum Trip Trainstop Say Boo!