Start by marking “Fairy Tales Reimagined: Essays on New Retellings” as Want to Read:
Fairy Tales Reimagined: Essays on New Retellings

Fairy Tales Reimagined: Essays on New Retellings

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  15 ratings  ·  4 reviews
No mere escapist fantasies, the reimagined fairy tales of the late 20th-early 21st centuries reflect the social, political, and cultural truths of our age with insight, intelligence, and complexity. Sixteen essays consider fairy tales recreated through short stories, novels, poetry, and the graphic novel from both best-selling and lesser-known writers, applying a variety o ...more
Published August 4th 2009 by McFarland (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Fairy Tales Reimagined, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fairy Tales Reimagined

Melanti
This was an interesting read. Obviously, I got the most out of the articles about books/authors I've read. The others made sense, but just didn't make as much of an impact.

A reviewer on Amazon posted the index (which has many of the author/titles listed), so I won't repeat it but here's the general overview and what books they're using for the big-name authors.

The first section was regarding Feminism. Each essay varied, but a common theme was how what things got added in/left out or what things
Tortla
The essays about books I'd read and loved...I loved. The others, I basically skipped. Sometimes it was a bit tiresome to read so much intellectual jargon, but the critics' perspectives were always so insightful and interesting (and, did I mention already, about stories and authors I love?) that it kind of made it worth plugging onward.
Definitely full of ideas (and stories, and essays...) I'd love to revisit. Some sooner and some later...but mostly I just want to own this book and refer to it whe
Chris
This is a rather nice collection of criticism based on retellings of fairy tales. I found the essay on McKinley as well as the one on the Fables comice books to be the two most interesting. But the essays are very good and even when about works you haven't read, they make you want to read them.

I really want to read Yolen's Peter Pan.
Lewis Book Reviews
This work is best suited for those familiar with the works covered, but if you’re strongly interested in the topic a little Googling can help you out. Bobby definitely takes an academic approach, but fairy tales are something familiar to everyone so the concepts can be interesting to a wide audience.

Bobby has collected sixteen essays that explore how classic fairy tales have been retold in the late 20 and early 21 centuries and what they say about the culture of the age. The fairy tale roots of
Afifah Widya
Afifah Widya marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Tristy
Tristy marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Kassandra Pinedo
Kassandra Pinedo marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Mara Rose
Mara Rose marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Momina Toseef
Momina Toseef marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Ashley Beck
Ashley Beck marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Maki (of To - Ra - Ba)
Maki (of To - Ra - Ba) marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Amy Martin
Amy Martin marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
 ♥ Antonella♥
♥ Antonella♥ marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Beth
Beth added it
Apr 18, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Pghbekka
Pghbekka marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Ricka
Ricka marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Jen Johnson
Jen Johnson marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Darcysmom
Darcysmom marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Katharine Driver
Katharine Driver marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2013
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Suz
Suz added it
Sep 09, 2013
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2013
Csák
Csák marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Fairy Tales Eclectic: Fairy Tales Reimagined 1 13 Jul 14, 2014 10:11AM
Beyond His Dark Materials: Innocence and Experience in the Fiction of Philip Pullman Fairy Tales Reimagined Beyond His Dark Materials