Start by marking “The Books of Magic, Volume 2: Summonings” as Want to Read:
The Books of Magic, Volume 2: Summonings

The Books of Magic, Volume 2: Summonings (The Books of Magic #2)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  1,184 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Timothy Hunter, age 13, may become one of the most powerful magicians of all time. But that's only one of his problems.

In the five tales collected here, Tim must contend with:

A heartless sorcerer and the alluring teen succubus he keeps in a box.

Tea in Hell with a rogue angel and his junkfood-demon nemesis.

The Industrial Revolution and a murderous Victorian cyborg.

A Whir
Published May 1st 1996 by DC Comics Vertigo (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Books of Magic, Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Books of Magic, Volume 2

'kris Pung
Apr 22, 2014 'kris Pung rated it really liked it
Does the world need another Sandman’isk spinoff comic? I guess the jury's still out on that but I enjoyed this book quite a bit more than I thought I would although the main guy Timmy Hunter is an extremely whiny douche who repeatedly talks to himself. I’ll give the next volume a shot to see if Timmy gets a few more redeeming qualities or gets horrible disfigured.
C.
Jul 16, 2012 C. rated it really liked it
A mere five issues into the monthly BOOKS OF MAGIC title, writer John Ney Rieber has already raised the stakes for our hero, 13-year-old magician-in-training, Tim Hunter. Book Two of the trade paperback series, “Summonings”, opens with the story “The Hidden School”, in which we see a grown-up Tim Hunter in the future. He’s very powerful, but very lonely, and we learn he has, over time, bargained away his childhood memories a piece at a time until he’s left an empty shell with no childhood. This ...more
©CYbcA
Nov 11, 2016 ©CYbcA rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
It is part Oliver Twist, part Midsummer's Night Dream, part Harry Potter, part spinoff of Neil Gaiman's BoM, and it pretty much recommences Rieber's The Book of Faerie.
PurplyCookie
"The Books of Magic: Summonings, Book 2" follows the story of Tim Hunter, a teenager who is destined to become the world's greatest magician. Tim must contend with a heartless sorcerer, tea in hell, a murderous Victorian cyborg, a whirlwind family reunion with an insanely jealous Faerie Queen and ... a first date.

Young Tim Hunter is reminded of an imaginary friend he had as a child who was killed by someone or something. In an investigation into the imaginary friend's death he enters a world wh
Glen Engel-Cox
Sep 11, 2015 Glen Engel-Cox rated it liked it
Timothy Hunter is a 13-year-old boy with the possibility of becoming the world’s greatest magician–as long as he can survive his first date. Well, that and his alcoholic, guilt-ridden father. Well, not really father, kind of like a foster father, because his real father was Tam Lin (of the legend), and his mother is the Faerie Queen. Not to mention his future self, and a bunch of demons from hell that look suspiciously like Barney the Dinosaur. Confused yet? As the classic TV show Soap used to ...more
Mathieu
Sep 14, 2011 Mathieu rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Despite its tendency to go in all directions to the risk of mayhem, The Books of Magic vol. 2: Summonings is a good and joyous mayhem, mixing imaginary friends from Tim's childhood now brought to life, characters from the Industrial Revolution seemingly out of a Dickens novel, other characters from the Free Country reminiscent of the Lost Boys from Peter Pan, and, of course, the fey folk. All these disparate elements are glued together by the central figure of Tim Hunter whose magical potential ...more
Simon
Nov 29, 2013 Simon rated it it was ok
This continues to be very confusing, as the TPB collects stories that are apparently out of order from the comic run?

I dunno, I'm starting to feel like I need to find some sort of reading guide to figure out what order to read all this stuff in.

Elements keep appearing as if from nowhere, then getting dropped. Which is disappointing, I'd read one of the much later TPBs from the library and really loved it a lot, so I was very excited to read it from the beginning. But so far? Bit of a disappointm
Evie
Jul 14, 2013 Evie rated it really liked it
I'm so lost. The first volume felt incomplete and this one just added more questions instead of answering any of them.

ETA: Just did some research and I now see that Volume 1 is not the first volume in this series. The first volume is simply titled "The Books of Magic" and explains everything having to do with Tim. Until I get and read the proper first volume, this review and the one for "The Books of Magic: Bindings" are null and void =)

7/14/13 Much better the second time around.
Feather Mista
Nov 13, 2010 Feather Mista marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Veremos...
Recommended to Feather by: Precio y serie
Lo tengo en la edición de cuatro tomos de Norma: Los Libros de la Magia: Convocaciones 1 al 4 (Colección Vertigo #38, 41, 46 y 50). Por ahora no creo que la suba para no partir el libro en cuatro, pero marco la edición española a tomo completo por aproximación. Seguro me los lea de uno después de releer el tomo de Gaiman.
William Murakami-brundage
Nov 20, 2012 William Murakami-brundage rated it really liked it
This series truly gets stranger as the storyline unfolds, but loses cohesion at a few points. I think of them more as tangents than loose ends, but be warned that some things are never resolved by the finale.
VJ
May 09, 2012 VJ rated it liked it
Tim Hunter brings his past dreams to life and they help him stay alive as various demons attack him in his search for self.

Not my usual fare, but a fairly quick read as I attempt to empty the boxes of books I acquired at the Friends of the Library book sale.
M.i.
May 13, 2016 M.i. rated it liked it
What I found most fascinating about this book is despite not being written by Gaiman, it felt very much like something he would do. I guess one could say there is such a thing as a 'Gaiman style.'
Kirsten
Feb 06, 2008 Kirsten rated it really liked it
This is a nice fat story arc that finds Tim increasingly embroiled in magical doings. Curiously, the Tim of the future is also involved in the present, but this Tim has been lead astray by a demon.
Ian Drew Forsyth
Vast improvement over the first volume, Rieber is getting in depth and up to par with Sandman, not quite, but just as enjoyable.
Kit
May 20, 2013 Kit rated it liked it
Another fairly solid entry in this series. I like the bits with Auberon and the chimneysweep stuff, but sometimes Tim is a bit hard to deal with.
Lupe Facio
Lupe Facio rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2015
Aya
Aya rated it did not like it
Apr 05, 2015
Yifot
Yifot rated it really liked it
May 20, 2008
Mary Elliott
Mary Elliott rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2012
Craig
Craig rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2013
Mary Kate
Mary Kate rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2011
Ben Whitaker
Ben Whitaker rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2012
Sarah rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2013
Laura rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2012
Timoni West
Timoni West rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2014
Anders Christian
Anders Christian rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2012
Atle Tungland
Atle Tungland rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2016
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2008
Candy
Candy rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2011
Tricky Widget
Tricky Widget rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2011
  • House of Mystery, Volume 4: The Beauty of Decay
  • Destiny: A Chronicle of Deaths Foretold
  • The Horrorist
  • Hellblazer: Fear and Loathing
  • Bindings (The Books of Magic, #2)
John Ney Rieber is an American comic book writer. He has written for the comics The Books of Magic, Captain America, G.I. Joe and Tomb Raider.
More about John Ney Rieber...

The Books of Magic (8 books)
  • The Books of Magic