Orion's Hounds (Star Trek: Titan, #3)

Orion's Hounds (Star Trek: Titan #3)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  560 ratings  ·  22 reviews
As the "U.S.S. Titan" ventures beyond the outermost reaches of known space, the telepaths in her crew -- including Diplomatic Officer Deanna Troi -- are overwhelmed by an alien cryof distress, leading the ship to the scene of a shocking act of carnage: a civilization of interstellar "whalers" preying upon and exploiting a familiar species of sentient spaceborne giants. App...more
Published January 1st 2005 by Pocket Books

Brian
Well, this has to be one of the best written books that I didn't really like in a lot of places. This is a very well told story with intelligent, engaging dialogue (in fact, some of the best dialogue I've read in a Trek book to date) that should give one pause and consider how tolerant a person they really are towards others and the story is competently handled as well.

The problem here, which might just be me, is that I really didn't need the lion's share of a Sci-Fi fiction book to serve as ca...more
Dan Gilman
Oh my god, I had to read this one chapter at a time, moving forward out of duty and sense of failure of not having read a book, I haven't had a book this hard to read since... ever really. As much as I love Star Trek (and believe me, I do) I do have episodes that I hate, from every series. Storylines that just fail to deliver what to me, is Star Trek, and this book was one of those.

None of the characters other than Ree held my attention for a moment, I wanted to just give up on this book about...more
Matthew Bowers
Reread. After THE RED KING, this was like a breath of fresh air. Bennett's style is a nice mix of formal and casual, the tone a nice mix of drama and fun, the story a nice mix of plot and character, and the subject matter a nice mix of adventure and hard sci-fi. Ties into the larger world of Trek in a far more convincing and elegant way than Martin & Mangels' constant asides do, and manages to address the nature of Titan's diversity -- and even make it thematically relevant -- in a way which...more
Brian
This is the third book in the series and my favorite so far. The first two books are closely linked chronologically and by cast of characters, and Romulan related stories are not my favorite. All of the espionage and scheming gets tedious quickly.

The third book is much more of an "alien of the week" plot but done in much more detail than a single hour long show could've managed. The more Trek books I read, the more I feel like it's a better way to handle the franchise.

Besides the major plot conf...more
Matthew Rasnake
Oct 14, 2007 Matthew Rasnake rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Trek fans looking for a fix
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
First off, Titan is a Star Trek novel. As such, there's a certain amount of forgiveness and understanding one must indulge in to thoroughly enjoy it. For me, Trek novels have always been sort of like candy--like a... banana flavored taffy, sometimes it tastes better than a real banana, but it can be a little hard to chew at first, and often tastes just a bit off. All this is not to say that it's a bad book, just that there's a difference between literature and pop-fiction.

As a Trek novel, it cer...more
Jimyanni
This was quite an excellent Star Trek novel; the plot moved well, with some good action, some good suspense, and a good, plausible resolution that was realistic enough to not be a perfect, everybody's-happy-with-it solution. The characters were handled well, with the Starfleet characters demonstrating a good balance between trying to avoid interfering in the development of other cultures and trying to save innocent lives; the opposition were decent folks with a different culture and a different...more
Derek Brown
The weakest of the Titan novels. It was still good Star Trek, but I enjoyed the first two more.
Andrew
Aug 18, 2012 Andrew rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
When the 2009 Star Trek movie released, the Onion website made a parody news cast, stating that Trek fans hated the movie because it wasn't boring enough. Well, this is the kind of boring Trek that they were referring to.

I gave up on page 152. The conflict between two alien races is not exciting, and a significant portion of the book is dedicated to conversations about how diverse the crew of Titan is. I'd rather see the diverse crew actually do something besides talk about how awesome they are...more
Matt
Although I still enjoyed it, this is the weakest entry in the series so far. I just couldn't get into the plot the way I had in the previous two entries. If you're a lore nerd, particularly TNG, you'll probably get something out of it though. The characters are great, and I like to see characters like Jaza Najem, Aili Lavena, and Dr. Ree getting more importance. Heck, Ree is even on the cover!

I would recommend watching TNG episode 'Encounter at Farpoint' again before reading this. You will appre...more
Lee Symes
I read a review that said this book was very well written but there was not enough to make you care what happened. To an extent I disagree. This was indeed a very well written book. The problem is the solution is obvious almost from the point the problem is presented. While the dialog is well written with interesting character development, the journey to the inevitable conclusion eventually becomes tedious. Because of that a book that was close to a five star rating only gains three stars.
Aaron Eiche
It took me a while to get into this book. I don't know what it was, but once I got going, it really pulled me in. Chris Bennett is a great Author and he provides a strong and interesting storyline for Riker and his crew. I found this story to be much more engaging and Star-Trek-like than the previous Titan Book (The Red King).
Though not dependent on the previous books, it's worth reading the first 2 in the series as there's a little important background information.
Beth - ;)
More than once I almost put this down without continuing. While I enjoy Trek and reading about the familiar characters (although there are really just three from previous series - Riker, Troi and Tuvok) I am not so much enamoured of science and I had to skip over large sections because I simply did not understand it. The story itself was interesting; once more our friends find themselves in jeopardy while trying to help, but all is well by the end yet again.
Luke
Orion's Hounds, a novel in the Star Trek expanded universe, continues the adventures of the Starship Titan , her Captain Will Riker & her biologically diverse crew.

Once again I had trouble telling some if the characters apart, but aside from that I really found this book to be a bit of a slog. At one point I considered giving the it up and moving on.

In the end I peservered and I'm glad I did. It had a good ending & I enjoyed it well enough
Linfer
Well, it's good to know the author wrote another Titan book. While the stories of the previous books were great and very engaging, I never really felt connected with the characters. This connection has been made now, plus I loved the technobabble aka lots of interesting science talk which was hard to understand but quite awesome. Looking forward to his next book
Lance
I'm a fan of Christopher L Bennett's Star Trek books, he's got a nice line in hard-SF within the rules set down in Star Trek. When I read his books, I get that DW New Adventures vibe, which is as high a praise as a tie-in book's ever going to get. Novels like Orion's Hounds are smart and sly, and have some really nice writing.
Nicolas
I tried reading this once before, but was too put off by the ridiculously elaborate aliens that populate the ship. Months later I gave it another chance, and while the aliens were still stupid (yeah, I'm talking to you Torvig the Ostrich boy with your bionic tail/hand) the book is pretty good.
Jenny
Jan 21, 2013 Jenny rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf, tv, fiction
One of my favourite Trek novels of all time. It has the return of the Space Jellies! And Troi plays an integral, powerful role. Christopher L. Bennett's world-building skills are in full effect. I just love this book so much.
Triopticon
Michael Lighten
Dec 11, 2013 Michael Lighten rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Trekkies
Recommended to Michael by: Kindle Advertising
I do like Star Trek, but it was too wordy for me. This Titan series could have had more action and less talk. Explanations can happen during action. It would have made it a better, shorter book.
Stephen
A decent effort, certainly better than the previous book in the series, especially as it gets into more Titan stuff and less Federation stuff.
Tom Folsom
Reasonably unique idea regarding cosmic sized life forms. Very preachy book, however.
Benjamin Plume
Probably the weakest of the Titan books.
Lance Schonberg
Jan 16, 2013 Lance Schonberg rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans
{review in progress}
Matthew Holderbaum
Matthew Holderbaum marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Greg Rozier
Greg Rozier marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2)
  • Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan, #6)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • Mere Mortals (Star Trek: Destiny #2)
  • Articles of the Federation (Star Trek)
  • A Time to Die
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #1)
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pack, #4)
  • A Time To Hate (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Death in Winter (Star Trek The Next Generation)
Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5) Greater than the Sum (Star Trek: The Next Generation) Watching the Clock (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations, #1) Forgotten History (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations, #2) The Struggle Within (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #5)