Start by marking “Orion's Hounds (Star Trek: Titan, #3)” as Want to Read:
Orion's Hounds (Star Trek: Titan, #3)

Orion's Hounds (Star Trek: Titan #3)

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  816 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
As the "U.S.S. Titan" ventures beyond the outermost reaches of known space, the telepaths in her crew -- including Diplomatic Officer Deanna Troi -- are overwhelmed by an alien cryof distress, leading the ship to the scene of a shocking act of carnage: a civilization of interstellar "whalers" preying upon and exploiting a familiar species of sentient spaceborne giants. App ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 379 pages
Published January 1st 2005 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Orion's Hounds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orion's Hounds

Sep 29, 2011 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, this has to be one of the best written books that I didn't really like in a lot of places. This is a very well told story with intelligent, engaging dialogue (in fact, some of the best dialogue I've read in a Trek book to date) that should give one pause and consider how tolerant a person they really are towards others and the story is competently handled as well.

The problem here, which might just be me, is that I really didn't need the lion's share of a Sci-Fi fiction book to serve as ca
Dan Gilman
Mar 21, 2012 Dan Gilman rated it did not like it
Oh my god, I had to read this one chapter at a time, moving forward out of duty and sense of failure of not having read a book, I haven't had a book this hard to read since... ever really. As much as I love Star Trek (and believe me, I do) I do have episodes that I hate, from every series. Storylines that just fail to deliver what to me, is Star Trek, and this book was one of those.

None of the characters other than Ree held my attention for a moment, I wanted to just give up on this book about
Jerry
Jun 16, 2016 Jerry rated it really liked it
Interesting story with great writing.
Emma
Jan 16, 2015 Emma rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-books
Jarrah
Dec 28, 2014 Jarrah rated it liked it
Shelves: novel, star-trek, sci-fi
I enjoyed this third installment in the Titan series because of the continuing development of key characters, mainly Tuvok, Troi, Keru and Melora Pazlar. But overall I felt this book dragged a lot more than the first two. There were parts I found myself skimming - like the science officers' extended explanations of alien creatures and phenomena - because I wanted to get back to the character conflict and the action. A lot of the explanations, while nice, were just not really necessary to the plo ...more
Nicky2910
Star Trek: Titan: Orion's Hounds by Christopher L. Bennett 3rd part of the Titan-series of books, set after "Nemesis" on Riker's new ship. This is a very good book, (re)introducing species that live (almost) entirely in space such as the crystal entity or the beings from "Encounter at Farpoint", dealing with the Prime Directive and lots of good characterization.

The only criticism I have is that Bennett sometimes tends to take his scientific approach a little too seriously. I could certainly do w
Crystal Bensley
Jul 05, 2015 Crystal Bensley rated it really liked it
Loved this Titan novel. Lots of cool species and messages about how we treat other creatures. Onward to book 4!
Feb 24, 2016 Brian rated it really liked it

Aug 23, 2011 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, trek
This is the third book in the series and my favorite so far. The first two books are closely linked chronologically and by cast of characters, and Romulan related stories are not my favorite. All of the espionage and scheming gets tedious quickly.

The third book is much more of an "alien of the week" plot but done in much more detail than a single hour long show could've managed. The more Trek books I read, the more I feel like it's a better way to handle the franchise.

Besides the major plot conf
Matthew Rasnake
Oct 14, 2007 Matthew Rasnake rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Trek fans looking for a fix
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
First off, Titan is a Star Trek novel. As such, there's a certain amount of forgiveness and understanding one must indulge in to thoroughly enjoy it. For me, Trek novels have always been sort of like candy--like a... banana flavored taffy, sometimes it tastes better than a real banana, but it can be a little hard to chew at first, and often tastes just a bit off. All this is not to say that it's a bad book, just that there's a difference between literature and pop-fiction.

As a Trek novel, it cer
Angela
Sep 25, 2015 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Titan is finally exploring new areas of space. They come across the aliens from 'Encounter at Farpoint' and another race is killing them. This is a really good story with some great character moments. It would have made a good 2 parter. I really liked how Tuvok and Deanna were handled. I am also starting to like the Doctor, who is basically an alien dinosaur. It looks at how things aren't always black and white, that there are usually reasons. There are some very good twists. A really good r ...more
K.D. Shepherd
Sep 09, 2014 K.D. Shepherd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great addition to the Titan series. Interesting look at the abilities and vulnerabilities of telepaths. An encounter with old allies and foes, plus new species, garners broadening perspectives for all involved. I enjoyed the take on this particular sector of the Universe and the creatures in it. Predictable in Star Trek fashion, yet surprising and fun outcome as well. True Star Trek material!
Jimyanni
Jul 01, 2012 Jimyanni rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek
This was quite an excellent Star Trek novel; the plot moved well, with some good action, some good suspense, and a good, plausible resolution that was realistic enough to not be a perfect, everybody's-happy-with-it solution. The characters were handled well, with the Starfleet characters demonstrating a good balance between trying to avoid interfering in the development of other cultures and trying to save innocent lives; the opposition were decent folks with a different culture and a different ...more
Derek Brown
Apr 17, 2014 Derek Brown rated it liked it
The weakest of the Titan novels. It was still good Star Trek, but I enjoyed the first two more.
Andrew
Aug 18, 2012 Andrew rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
When the 2009 Star Trek movie released, the Onion website made a parody news cast, stating that Trek fans hated the movie because it wasn't boring enough. Well, this is the kind of boring Trek that they were referring to.

I gave up on page 152. The conflict between two alien races is not exciting, and a significant portion of the book is dedicated to conversations about how diverse the crew of Titan is. I'd rather see the diverse crew actually do something besides talk about how awesome they are
Matt
Although I still enjoyed it, this is the weakest entry in the series so far. I just couldn't get into the plot the way I had in the previous two entries. If you're a lore nerd, particularly TNG, you'll probably get something out of it though. The characters are great, and I like to see characters like Jaza Najem, Aili Lavena, and Dr. Ree getting more importance. Heck, Ree is even on the cover!

I would recommend watching TNG episode 'Encounter at Farpoint' again before reading this. You will appre
Katie Buerk
Sep 18, 2014 Katie Buerk rated it really liked it
Telepath vulnerability is interesting and addicting
Lee Symes
Nov 23, 2013 Lee Symes rated it liked it
I read a review that said this book was very well written but there was not enough to make you care what happened. To an extent I disagree. This was indeed a very well written book. The problem is the solution is obvious almost from the point the problem is presented. While the dialog is well written with interesting character development, the journey to the inevitable conclusion eventually becomes tedious. Because of that a book that was close to a five star rating only gains three stars.
Aaron Eiche
Aug 01, 2011 Aaron Eiche rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to get into this book. I don't know what it was, but once I got going, it really pulled me in. Chris Bennett is a great Author and he provides a strong and interesting storyline for Riker and his crew. I found this story to be much more engaging and Star-Trek-like than the previous Titan Book (The Red King).
Though not dependent on the previous books, it's worth reading the first 2 in the series as there's a little important background information.
Beth - ;)
Sep 18, 2012 Beth - ;) rated it liked it
More than once I almost put this down without continuing. While I enjoy Trek and reading about the familiar characters (although there are really just three from previous series - Riker, Troi and Tuvok) I am not so much enamoured of science and I had to skip over large sections because I simply did not understand it. The story itself was interesting; once more our friends find themselves in jeopardy while trying to help, but all is well by the end yet again.
Two Nerds Talking
May 31, 2014 Two Nerds Talking rated it really liked it
Orion's Hounds, a novel in the Star Trek expanded universe, continues the adventures of the Starship Titan , her Captain Will Riker & her biologically diverse crew.

Once again I had trouble telling some if the characters apart, but aside from that I really found this book to be a bit of a slog. At one point I considered giving the it up and moving on.

In the end I peservered and I'm glad I did. It had a good ending & I enjoyed it well enough
Linfer
Nov 25, 2012 Linfer rated it really liked it
Well, it's good to know the author wrote another Titan book. While the stories of the previous books were great and very engaging, I never really felt connected with the characters. This connection has been made now, plus I loved the technobabble aka lots of interesting science talk which was hard to understand but quite awesome. Looking forward to his next book
Lance
Sep 08, 2010 Lance rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of Christopher L Bennett's Star Trek books, he's got a nice line in hard-SF within the rules set down in Star Trek. When I read his books, I get that DW New Adventures vibe, which is as high a praise as a tie-in book's ever going to get. Novels like Orion's Hounds are smart and sly, and have some really nice writing.
Nicolas
Dec 14, 2015 Nicolas rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
I tried reading this once before, but was too put off by the ridiculously elaborate aliens that populate the ship. Months later I gave it another chance, and while the aliens were still stupid (yeah, I'm talking to you Torvig the Ostrich boy with your bionic tail/hand) the book is pretty good.
Apostolos
Nov 26, 2014 Apostolos rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, star-trek
It was OK. Didn't really grab me as a story. It felt a lot like a Season 1 TNG episode (crystaline entity meets space squid, death match! Then, give us a moral and roll credits). M'eh. Liked the first two Titan novels better.
Jenny
Sep 11, 2015 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf, fiction, tv
One of my favourite Trek novels of all time. It has the return of the Space Jellies! And Troi plays an integral, powerful role. Christopher L. Bennett's world-building skills are in full effect. I just love this book so much.
Jeremy
Jan 05, 2016 Jeremy rated it did not like it
This is probably my least favorite Star Trek author and my least favorite Star Trek series. When did TNG characters become so whiny? Anyways, uninteresting story and I really had to force myself through this book
Triopticon
Mar 31, 2014 Triopticon rated it did not like it
Michael Lighten
Dec 11, 2013 Michael Lighten rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Trekkies
Recommended to Michael by: Kindle Advertising
I do like Star Trek, but it was too wordy for me. This Titan series could have had more action and less talk. Explanations can happen during action. It would have made it a better, shorter book.
RumBelle
Mar 29, 2016 RumBelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
I really found this book fascinating. Deanna's ability to commune with the aliens made this book dynamic to read. The hunter versus the hunted and who has the greater right to live.
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan, #6)
  • Lost Souls (Star Trek: Destiny, #3)
  • Q & A (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #4)
  • A Time to Die
  • Before Dishonor (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • Indistinguishable from Magic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #1)

Star Trek: Titan (7 books)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2)
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)
  • Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan, #6)
  • Fallen Gods (Star Trek: Titan, #7)