Start by marking “And Then the Vulture Eats You” as Want to Read:
And Then the Vulture Eats You

And Then the Vulture Eats You

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  71 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews

"It won't matter whether or not you've attempted an ultra, or whether or not you even dream of one. If you enjoy running and reading, you'll want this book."David Meyers, Running Journal

The best writers in the sport of running describe the last frontier of long-distance events: races longer than a marathon.

James Shapiro begins by relating with heart-rending detail his expe

Published October 28th 1990 by Cedarwinds (first published October 1990)

To ask other readers questions about And Then the Vulture Eats You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And Then the Vulture Eats You

Nick Klagge
Jun 28, 2015 Nick Klagge rated it really liked it
My dad sent me this book since I am planning on running my first ultramarathon in September (the Berkeley Trail Adventure 50k). My dad is also a distance runner, but has only attempted one ultra, which he dropped because of weather conditions.

Like my dad, I enjoy reading running-related books during my training, to keep my enthusiasm up. As it turned out, this book was especially important for me because I had it with me on a business trip to Boston where, on my very first day running, something
David
Jul 04, 2014 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cleanskin
A variety of short stories. Some are excellent but others so so otherwise. The good ones were great. It must be very hard to try and have the reader experience the same feelings as the author experienced. Great idea though with this book
Kecia
Jun 04, 2007 Kecia rated it liked it
Recommends it for: runners
Nice collection of essays on ultra running (that's running past the marathon point). I like the Don Kardong essays best. He cracks me up!
Darryl Scroggins
Dec 03, 2013 Darryl Scroggins rated it it was amazing
Shelves: running
I enjoyed each of the short stories, but I enjoy running marathons.
This is a must read for all long distance runners.
Christopher Barry
Nov 19, 2015 Christopher Barry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: running, non-fiction
This rating is definitely influenced by the fact that I recently signed up for a race where I will run the same 5k loop over and over for 24 hours (or as long as I can...) and this book is about other similar stupid things.

It helps that the essays are all funny, well-written and most (not all) could be appreciated by runners and non-runners alike.

As a runner, I definitely appreciate the fact that the runner-writers in this collection all have serious qualifications: Olympians, record holders,
Leslie
Jul 08, 2014 Leslie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5.0 This book could use another round of editing. Like all anthologies, I found some pieces more interesting and well written than others.
Beth
May 14, 2014 Beth rated it liked it
Collection of 8 stories of an ultra run. Interesting. Definitely gives perspective on the ultra.
Tim Mullican
Dec 25, 2013 Tim Mullican rated it liked it
Shelves: running
This appears to be a compilation of older stories published previously in running magazines. As one other reviewer has said, these are mostly "old school" stories of ultrarunning. It still motivates one by showing what is possible in the realm of ultramarathoning. Don't have any ultramarathon in your area? Then make up your own challenge of running across your state or circumnavigating your favorite park. All in all a pretty quick read.
Patrick Cauldwell
Mar 26, 2012 Patrick Cauldwell rated it really liked it
Interesting, although not quite what I expected. These stories are all written by what I would consider to be the old guard of ultra running, from the 80's and early 90's. The sport has changed a bit since then (which is interesting to know) so this is more about ultra running as it was rather than as it is.

Still, a very enjoyable read about some amazing accomplishments.
Angie
Aug 17, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it
Good stories whether you run ultras or not. Some of the stories had me giggling as I was reading. each story is different and entertaining. Feels like you're sitting around a campfire telling stories with these guys. Too bad it's such a quick read.
E
Nov 02, 2011 E rated it really liked it
A good collection of entertaining and interesting stories from the people who have been out on the trails and on the road for hours and miles... It's an easy and fun read. It is threaded together quite well.
Christopher Farrell
Sep 09, 2012 Christopher Farrell rated it liked it
Interesting collection of ultramarathoning stories. Worth it for the insight but the stories by themselves aren't outrageously interesting.
Charlotte Davis
Jul 29, 2009 Charlotte Davis rated it it was amazing
Must read for anyone interested in ultra or adventure running!
Dan Stoner
Aug 28, 2013 Dan Stoner rated it really liked it
Great great running stories. A fast and enjoyable read.
Thebestdogmom Stiner
Old stories. Not bad.
Toph White
Toph White is currently reading it
Apr 03, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Jul
Jul marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Matthew Colford
Matthew Colford marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Mia
Mia rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2016
Beans
Beans added it
Jan 02, 2016
Erin Burns
Erin Burns rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Lesli Joy
Lesli Joy marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
EvanThomas
EvanThomas marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Joe
Joe rated it it was ok
Apr 25, 2016
Marinna
Marinna marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Travis
Travis marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
C.M. Thompson
C.M. Thompson rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
John L. Parker Jr. has written for Outside, Runner’s World, and numerous other publications. He was the Southeastern Conference mile champion three times, and the United States Track and Field Federation national champion in the steeplechase, and was the teammate of Olympians Frank Shorter, Jack Bacheler, and Jeff Galloway on several championship cross-country teams. A graduate of the University o ...more
More about John L. Parker Jr....