Start by marking “Winds of the Storm” as Want to Read:
Winds of the Storm

Winds of the Storm (The LeVeq Family #2)

Archer Le Veq owes his life to the woman who rescued him from certain death at the height of the Civil War...a woman known only as "the Butterfly." Now, in the dark, waning days of Reconstruction, he needs the courageous and beautiful former spy...in more ways than before!

Zahra Lafayette thinks her days of intrigue are far behind her, until she is asked to go on one more m
Published April 25th 2006 by Avon (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Winds of the Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winds of the Storm

Megan
Nov 05, 2015 Megan rated it it was amazing
My favorite Beverly Jenkins book I've read so far. I just can't dislike a romance that opens with the heroine rescuing the hero. It's one of my favorite tropes, and much to my delight, Zahra remained competent and awesome throughout the entire book.

During the Civil War, Zahra worked as a dispatch, part of Harriet Tubman's intelligence network, and now during the messy and unpleasant Reconstruction, she's gone undercover again. One of her missions had involved rescuing Archer Le Veq, and when she
Deera
Jan 29, 2017 Deera rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, litsyatoz
The thing I love most about Beverly Jenkins' romance novels is that they come with a history lesson attached. I loved learning about the network of Black spies dispatched in the South during the war and Reconstruction.

Per usual, the characters were interesting; the banter was witty. This novel has the added layer of a New Orleans setting. Perfect finish to DiverseAThon.

Also, LitsyAtoZ: Part I- J
Betty
Nov 02, 2015 Betty rated it liked it
Title: Winds of the Storm
Author: Beverly Jenkins
Series: LeVeq Family #2
Genre: Historical romance
Setting: New Orleans during the Reconstruction
Reason for Reading: 50 book Project book #44. I was intrigued by the idea that Jenkins' historicals focus more on lower class protagonists rather than the elite. And finally I wanted to see if yet again it would prove true that romances by women of color usually don't include the protagonist being pushed physically to be intimate by her love interest, as
shana
Jul 10, 2012 shana rated it liked it
light work, BUT the main characters are Black and it's a historical romance. keyword: historical. i actually learned something from this light Summer read. it's set in Louisiana during the Reconstruction Era. some of the characters in the story are real figures, like Harriet Tubman. it discusses dispatches, the elected Black officials of that time, white supremacy groups, and the atrocities they committed against Black people, including death books, essentially a hit list. the author provides li ...more
Cassandra
Dec 27, 2011 Cassandra rated it it was amazing
Archer Le veq is all that and more. A gentleman, a charmer, a lover and a man who knows how to get what/who he wants. His self confidence and boldness are magnetic and that is what draws me to his character most. Zahra's secret made this an interesting and unique story line, but Mr. Le Veq's charisma stole the show. This was my first of many Beverly Jenkins novel novels. To date, Archer Le Veq remains my favorite romance hero.
Bobbi
Oct 10, 2015 Bobbi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was hoping there was a sequel to this historical romance. What I love about these books by Beverly Jenkins is how much I learn about African-American history, stuff I never learned in school. I also like the steamy love scenes - Ms. Jenkins doesn't hold back. *wink, wink*
Luciana
Feb 11, 2015 Luciana rated it it was amazing
I have committed myself to reading everything by Beverly

Jenkins. I am her biggest fan. If I don't have it in print I have it digital. And I am pre-ordering For Your Love. Thanks Beverly.
Daphne James
Jul 04, 2012 Daphne James rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the attention to historic detail. This book sparked my interest in the history of free people of color in New Orleans and in the history of the US during reconstruction.
Chelsea

The bodice ripper cover bilies how intelligent and well researched this story is. The heroine, Zhara, is a spy. She worked for the Union army during the Civil War, gathering intelligence by posing as slaves and servants in the south. In the volatile post war years she is now working to find evidence of violent plots against black leaders, which she would present to President Grant in an effort to gain/retain military protection for blacks in the south. White supremacist groups have org
Book  Minx
Slow to start but a solid story. The way the anti-love hero finally realises he's in love is flatter than the thinnest pancake though - "Then I suppose I love her." Not exactly the declaration one dreams of.
Chicki Brown
Dec 31, 2016 Chicki Brown rated it it was amazing
Ms. Jenkins hits another homerun! Sexy and romantic.
Louise Dimeji
Jun 18, 2016 Louise Dimeji rated it it was amazing
Corinne
Aug 09, 2016 Corinne rated it liked it
Zahra Lafayette was an awesome heroine, with a history as a Civil War Spy. She heads to New Orleans after the war to gather intelligence as a Madam of a house of I'll repute. There she falls for Archer LeVeq who's life she once saved. The premise was interesting, but I found myself wanting to learn about Zahra the spy before this mission. She was not comfortable in the position as a Madam and it felt like she spent most of the time in a generic romance with Archer. The story picks up in the end ...more
steph
Mar 29, 2012 steph rated it really liked it
So reading this makes me realize that I don't really care all that much about the LeVeq brothers. Which, sounds worse then intended but I actually like her other characters/universe rather then the stories that focus on the LeVeq brothers, if that makes sense. I did however, liked all the secret agent stuff and multiple identities and how Zahara became a madam of a house of ill repute but still remained women enough to stand up to Archer but all in all, this story was a little slow(er) then I no ...more
Kelly
For real though, I learned more about the Reconstruction-era South from this book than I did in high school history.

Winds of the Storm starts with a bang and ends with a flourish, but parts of the middle were slow because Jenkins was setting up a complex spy and espionage narrative amidst the elegant trappings of Belle Epoque New Orleans. Fortunately, hefty doses of humor, memorable characters and steamy sex scenes keep it moving.
Parallax
I liked the secret agent stuff and multiple identities, and wished that there was more spy intrigue. I also liked the cast, and the historical detail. I'm glad that the romantic lead wasn't an arrogant jerk, like I've seen in other romantic plotlines. The bad: It dragged for me in some places, and I skimmed ahead.
Elise-Pinterest+Goodreads=The Perfect Book Boyfriend
I think that of all of the books I have read by Beverly Jenkins, this one was my least favorite. There was not enough challenging passion for me. The first two stories I read challenged me and I wanted the couple to get together. This one, I didn't care if they did or not. I liked it because BJ always gives great history and I like the brothers, however, Archer and Zahara bored me.
L. Wright
Sep 22, 2010 L. Wright rated it really liked it
Another wonderful novel by Beverly Jenkins. I always love her writing because I feel like I am thrown into the action. Her descriptions of New Orleans make me feel like I was right there. The romance between Zahra and Archer was steamy. I love the Levec brothers.
Tiffany
Dec 09, 2008 Tiffany rated it really liked it
For some reason, I could not put this book down. I couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen, even though, duh....a ROMANCE! Two characters find each, become separated briefly, reunite, and live happily every after, as always. Loved it.

Cheryl Faye
Jan 12, 2011 Cheryl Faye rated it it was amazing
I tell you those LeVeq brothers just do it for me. I knew I wouldn't be disappointed with this story -- actually, I realized as soon as I started reading it that I'd read this a few years ago. No matter, it was even better the 2nd time around. Beverly Jenkins' books are just like that for me.
Carla wynn
Oct 15, 2014 Carla wynn rated it it was amazing
Another LeVeq meets his match. Archer first meet Zahra when she rescues him. Little did he know that "The Butterfly" would steal his heart. Mrs. Jenkins is a master storyteller.
Shannan Harper
Jun 15, 2016 Shannan Harper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even in an audiobook, Beverly Jenkins is never a disappointment. Some things were very shocking, and now I'm getting the first book in the series. Great job as always.
Shawnette
No matter what I NEVER go wrong when I choose to read a Beverly Jenkins historical romance novel...an intriguing combination of history, mystery and plenty of romance.
Kaia Taylor
Kaia Taylor rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2009
LaConnie
LaConnie rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2008
Rhonda Mitchell chatters
Rhonda Mitchell chatters rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2013
Marnitha
Marnitha rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2015
Beverly Jenkins
Beverly Jenkins rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2014
Ashley Harris
Ashley Harris rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2014
Kianga
Kianga rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2016
  • Dreaming of You (Graysons of New Mexico, #3)
  • Slow Burn
  • No Compromise
199260
Beverly Jenkins is an African-American historical romance writer. She and her family live in southeastern Michigan. Born in Detroit, she graduated from Cass Technical High School and attended Michigan State University where she majored in Journalism and English Literature.
Ms. Jenkins has written sixteen books to date and has received numerous awards for her works, including: the Detroit Free Pres
More about Beverly Jenkins...

The LeVeq Family (3 books)
  • Through the Storm
  • Captured

“Just because women whore doesn’t mean they don’t have hopes or dreams or desires of their own. There is little glamour in taking strange men into your bed.” 0 likes
“Most men like you are always interested in women like myself, but what they fail to see is this is my job, it isn’t necessarily who I am. People tend to meld the two and fail to realize that distinction.” 0 likes