Start by marking “In Their Own Way: Discovering and Encouraging Your Child's Multiple Intelligences” as Want to Read:

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Does your child have a favorite subject, activity, or hobby? Children learn in multiple ways, and educator Thomas Armstrong has shown hundreds of thousands of parents and teachers how to locate those unique areas in each of our children where learning and creativity seem to flow with special vigor.

In this fully updated classic on multiple intelligences, Armstrong sheds new
Published August 7th 2000 by Tarcher (first published January 1st 1965)

To ask other readers questions about In Their Own Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Their Own Way

Karen
The general premise of this book is good. But it was EXTREMELY long winded! A little 20 page report of the highlights would have been sufficient rather than almost 300 pages of blah blah blah repetitiveness. I ended up just skimming and skipping a lot at the end. There is also a lot of negativity about the teaching system too. I prefer not to read negativity. Instead teach me skills to make things positive.

What I liked:
Kids learn in different ways, some ways better than others. (Adults too!) Som
Jackie
Oct 12, 2012 Jackie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: adhd
Among other things, this was a great reminder that it is unlikely my son's brain works the same way mine does.
Cori Cover
This is a great book for helping parents discover and encourage their children's multiple intelligences.
Patrizia
We recently took on home educating our boys and I decided to read this book in an attempt to help me find ways to help our "struggling learner" to reach his full potential. I also needed to find ways to help restore their ���natural love for learning'���
It had me hooked from the first chapter & I���ve just finished it. 294 pages in 1 day, a new personal record for me. WOW, what an amazing source of useful information. It has helped me ���see��� why the system has failed our sons so miserably
Christina
This book describes eight different types of intelligence, which everyone has but in different amounts. This is organized like a resource book, which is not exactly what I need right now so I ended up skimming huge sections.

I would recommend this book for parents whose children are having trouble fitting into mainstream school, and may have been been possibly hinted at having learning disabilities (which they may or may not really have). ADHD is mentioned frequently in this book since that seem
Melissa Frentsos
This is a secular book but it made a lot of good points about seeing your children as individuals and how they learn in different ways rather than one size fits all methods often used in schools.
saudarilee
A must have in every parent's library. Extremely helpful for me to recognise each child's 'intelligence' and extend their learning according to their strength.
Michael
In this indictment of the current state of education ("the worksheet wasteland"), Armstrong uses Howard Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences to discuss a new blueprint for helping all our children learn. He is particularly thought-provoking in coming up with ways to help those who are strong in "bodily-kinesthetic" intelligence.

The chapter about "honoring your child's learning rate" was was reassuring to me as I have children going at their own pace in math and reading respectively and was
Sheila Thoburn
Easy read, easy to understand, helpful. Encourages not focusing on one method of teaching your child and not labeling children as either learning disabled or gifted as both limit and cause stereotyping.

Great tips on how to incorporate various types of learning into any subject. Also has a plethora of resource lists. Extremely helpful in reminding of what teaching is and looking at the individual but not so much that it wouldn't work for a typical classroom as well.
Gitta
Oct 28, 2007 Gitta rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every parents
Shelves: indonesian
Buku ini very-very recommended buat para orangtua agar kita bisa menilai anak2 kita dengan lebih jernih dan fair. Sekolah bukanlah segalanya. Tugas kitalah sebagai orangtua dan pendidik untuk menemukan cara belajar yg fun bagi si anak sesuai dengan minatnya. Diharapkan si anak ke depannya akan menjadi anak yg lebih mudah memahami pelajaran, periang dan percaya diri. Saya rasa prinsip inilah yg diterapkan oleh kepseknya Totto-chan.
Sasha
Another learning style book, but one with lots of compelling research and proof--especially of the disservice of public schools and formal testing. Emphasizes really knowing each child and embracing their uniqueness. Lots of practical applications for the different learning styles (i.e. "multiplication the linguistic way," "multiplication the spatial way," etc.) There's a section, "How to Teach Anything 7 Different Ways."
Summer Smith
Although it would be considered somewhat outdated by many educators, it makes perfect sense and I have seen this with my own eyes from my child who isn't given the ability to work to her style because schools are so focused on testing and have lost all sight of creativity. Sadly, it isn't even so much all teachers, but more the school districts themselves. Kind of sad.
Angie
Maybe a 2.5. I was interested in the different ways to educate a child...beyond what is normally taught in school. I've used a few techniques with my kids and liked them.

I didn't like how the guy bashed the public school system to the point that he seemed like he just had to vent his personal frustrations through a book. Save that stuff for a journal.
Mel
Eight intelligences that we all have, but in different ratios. When a child, (most likely a boy) is labeled ADD/ADHD, chances are he has a lot of bodily/kinesthetic learning.
There are suggestions for games, software, and supplies for each lesson as well as further reading.
Suzanne Vincent
This book helped me not only understand the needs of my own child, but helped me better understand how to reach my piano students individually. I teach each child differently, because each child IS different.
Bliss
This book confirms all I've begun to believe about children and the standard American educational system.

It is a must read for every parent who takes an interest in their child's education.
Amy
Always good to remind oneself and be inspired to honor your own kid's way! The book could stand an update re: resource section at the end but it was still helpful!
Dorothy LaBar
Because it showed me how to understand my child's personality and thus method of learning, it has saved me years of frustration. This book is absolutely priceless!
Alvina
Bacaan suplemen buat para orang tua agar tidak mendoktrin anak dengan kalimat kalimat penghinaan "kamu bodoh!". Karena semua anak itu Cerdas. :)
Summer
Excellent book for parents and teachers.
Amy Crosse
Amy Crosse marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Eugene Dagon
Eugene Dagon marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Novida Eny
Novida Eny marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Mohsen Tavakoli
Mohsen Tavakoli marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
  • Your Child's Growing Mind: A Guide to Learning and Brain Development from Birth to Adolescence
  • Learning All The Time
  • Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School
  • The Way They Learn
  • Multiple Intelligences: New Horizons in Theory and Practice
  • What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know: Preparing Your Child for a Lifetime of Learning
  • A Thomas Jefferson Education Home Companion
  • For the Children's Sake
  • Project-Based Homeschooling: Mentoring Self-Directed Learners
  • The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling
  • The Unschooling Unmanual
  • You Are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can Do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
  • The Original Homeschooling Series (Charlotte Mason's Original Homeschooling #1-6)
  • Punished by Rewards: The Trouble with Gold Stars, Incentive Plans, A's, Praise and Other Bribes
  • Parenting a Free Child: An Unschooled Life
  • The Unschooling Handbook: How to Use the Whole World as Your Child's Classroom
  • Free to Learn: Five Ideas for a Joyful Unschooling Life
  • Homeschooling: The Early Years: Your Complete Guide to Successfully Homeschooling the 3- to 8- Year-Old Child
Thomas Armstrong, Ph.D. is the author of fourteen books including the forthcoming book Neurodiversity: Discovering the Extraordinary Gifts of Autism, ADHD, Dyslexia, and Other Brain Differences.

His other books include, The Human Odyssey: Navigating the Twelve Stages of Life (www.thehumanodyssey.com), In Their Own Way, 7 Kinds of Smart, Awakening Your Child's Natural Genius, Multiple Intelligences
More about Thomas Armstrong...
Seven Kinds of Smart: Identifying and Developing Your Multiple Intelligences Neurodiversity: Discovering the Extraordinary Gifts of Autism, ADHD, Dyslexia, and Other Brain Differences Multiple Intelligences in the Classroom You're Smarter Than You Think: A Kid's Guide to Multiple Intelligences Awakening Genius in the Classroom