Start by marking “90 Minutes at Entebbe” as Want to Read:
90 Minutes at Entebbe

90 Minutes at Entebbe

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  222 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
The first full inside story of Operation Thunderbolt, the spectacular Israeli strike against terrorism.
Unknown Binding, 216 pages
Published January 1st 1976 by Bantam Books

To ask other readers questions about 90 Minutes at Entebbe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 90 Minutes at Entebbe

James
A great story - I've always thought this series of events would be unbelievable as fiction, but they did it. When I went to Marine boot camp in fall of '76, this had happened only a few months earlier, but there was already a TV documentary about it. The only times our drill instructors turned on the TV in the squadbay were at Christmas and to show us that documentary - the senior drill instructor said, basically, 'Watch and learn. This is what an elite military organization in action looks like ...more
Dr. Awkward
Jul 24, 2012 Dr. Awkward rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Historians, military historians, Judaeophiles

Exciting and in-depth report of an amazing incident -- feels like fiction, but it rings of the truth!

While perhaps not a literary work of art, 90 Minutes at Entebbe reveals a small but important piece of history that is often forgotten, and shows the reader a startlingly intense moment in the history and triumph of the Israeli Defense Forces.

Chock full of true heroes, this book is a good read, and highly desirable for lovers of history. We would give this book its five full stars were it not for

Andrew
Dec 16, 2008 Andrew rated it did not like it
Shelves: military, history
The raid on Entebbe was a huge event in the history of the war on terror and in the foundation of special operations for the world's militaries. The author did a terrible, terrible job of describing one of the greatest special operations missions in the twentieth century. The book uses a news format which doesn't work very well. It jumps from subject to subject and person to person too quickly and inconsistently to allow the reader the chance to develop a timeline and perception of the events. A ...more
Brian Manville
Children of the 21st century (of which I have two) have only known of terror being carried out by Muslim extremists against the nations of the West. In my youth, terrorist organizations such as the Japanese Red Army, the Baader-Meinhof gang as well as infamous terrorists like Carlos The Jackal were regular news stories in the 1970s as these groups agitated for Palestinian autonomy, the political isolation of Israel, and the furtherance of communist aims. One of these terrorist acts was the 1976 ...more
Chandra Nataraja
Oct 27, 2012 Chandra Nataraja rated it it was amazing
Why is Israel such a powerful nation today? Read this unbelievable rescue story to understand the resilience of the nation, its leadership and courage. Shows how to treat terror with tact, guile, speed and decisiveness.
this book is a true story and captures narrations from the hostages, their grief, courage and perseverance. In the entire operation, only one member of the Israeli rescue team was lost. It shows the meticulous planning, execution and conviction of the entire team. One cannot belie
Dan
Jan 31, 2015 Dan rated it really liked it
I read this book 31 years ago, when I was in grade 7. It was on a rack of paperback "extra reading" books that had been put out by the librarian and teachers of my tiny 65 student Catholic elementary school in rural Western Canada. That's 65 students including all of grades 1 through 8! I found it an exciting read when I was 12 years old and it made a big impression on my young mind. The bravery and heroism of the Israelis rang as true and just. In retrospect, I think that this book, along with ...more
Pankaj bisht
Sep 30, 2014 Pankaj bisht rated it really liked it
THIS IS AN INCREDIBLE STORY OF THE MOST HEROIC ANTI TERRORIST RESCUES OF ALL TIME.
Abhilash Nandamuri
Mar 19, 2016 Abhilash Nandamuri rated it really liked it
Describes in detail the kidnapping that happened back in 1976 and how Israel, through its ingenious methods of extracting intelligence and military action, rescued the hostages. Deeply engrossing and draws admiration for the way the rescue plan was conceptualized, planned & executed.
Srikkanthan
This is one of those real life, historical events which is almost unbelievable or impractical. The book is tiring to read, as the elaborate descriptions of various important people, their feelings, the mood is described for several tens of pages. However its a must read.
Clement Ositadinma
Jan 01, 2015 Clement Ositadinma rated it did not like it
Shelves:
Allow me to read the book before asking for a review or rating?

Zach Krejci
Oct 21, 2013 Zach Krejci rated it really liked it
i thought that this book was excellent, i usually dont like to read because i dont have the time for it but when i started to read this i almost couldnt stop. but the whole accounting of it in the format it was wrote in was clever, the book was also suspenseful on what the upcoming events that took place but not a total 5 stars because it seemed like it had some dry and boring spots but other than that a great first hand account book.
Nandaja
Sep 08, 2014 Nandaja rated it really liked it
very well written. Amazing description of the events.
Charlie
Mar 31, 2016 Charlie rated it liked it
Lots of background on the terrorists, victims and heroes, but when the action begins it is hard to put down. Still amazed at the outcome.
Biju Balakrishnan
Aug 27, 2012 Biju Balakrishnan rated it liked it
The real life event in history that took the world by surprize. The successful military rescue operation from Entebbe, Uganda by the Israili Defense forces, code named 'Operation Thunderbolt'

The book has its drawbacks, of going into long historical data. But if you love history, then this is a book for you. A good read even if it is not a literary book of art.
Chas Bayfield
May 16, 2013 Chas Bayfield rated it really liked it
A thrillride! I read this as it was on my Grandma's shelves when she died and it felt like an adventure. I wasn't disappointed. This is an account of the hijack and kidnap that we see right at the end of the movie, The Last King of Scotland. It's an insane rescue mission and if you don't know the details I won't spoil it. True story.
Natan
Mar 14, 2008 Natan rated it it was amazing
The Entebbe operation is one of the most daring, spectacular and successful military operations of the 20th century. It is not so well-known outside of Israel, but I think most readers will find this book hard to put down. The book does full justice to the military , political and humanitarian sides of the story.
Bryan Mcquirk
Aug 24, 2013 Bryan Mcquirk rated it liked it
Dry reading, but excellent information of the days leading up to the rescue. Not keen on the format used to tell the story.
All in all a good book to learn more detail about this operation.
Ashish
Feb 11, 2013 Ashish rated it it was amazing
This is one of books which can give you chills. Amazingly written and must read for non-fiction lovers. In the end you probably realize the power, courage and reach of Israel.
Robert Dunlap
Dec 04, 2013 Robert Dunlap rated it really liked it
The story is better than the book. The story is amazing. Read this to learn how to overcome.
Nandini
May 14, 2010 Nandini rated it really liked it
Absolutely BRILLIANT stuff. Very fast paced and exciting.
Wasim Feroz
great piece of compilation
Julia Guice
Jul 14, 2011 Julia Guice rated it it was amazing
This was a good read.
Ajith
Nov 26, 2010 Ajith added it
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Suzi
Suzi added it
May 04, 2016
Ifeanyi Duru
Ifeanyi Duru marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Akintola Joel
Akintola Joel rated it did not like it
Apr 24, 2016
Tehila
Tehila marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Lori Miller
Lori Miller marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Unavailable 1 8 Apr 20, 2011 04:33AM
  • Mossad: Menguak Tabir Dinas Rahasia Israel
  • Voyage of the Damned
  • Here is Your War
  • Abandon Ship!: The Saga of the U.S.S. Indianapolis, the Navy's Greatest Sea Disaster
  • By Way of Deception: The Making of a Mossad Officer
  • Murder at the Bad Girl's Bar and Grill
  • Body Trauma: A Writer's Guide to Wounds and Injuries
  • The Zionist Idea: A Historical Analysis and Reader
  • Armed and Dangerous: A Writer's Guide to Weapons
  • Self-Portrait Of A Hero: The Letters Of Jonathan Netanyahu (1963-1976)
  • Israel is Real: An Obsessive Quest to Understand the Jewish Nation and Its History
  • Deadly Doses: A Writer's Guide to Poisons
  • The Duel: The Eighty-Day Struggle Between Churchill and Hitler
  • The Strongest Tribe: War, Politics, and the Endgame in Iraq
  • Vengeance: The True Story of an Israeli Counter-Terrorist Team
  • Lest Innocent Blood Be Shed
  • Every Spy a Prince: The Complete History of Israel's Intelligence Community
  • Pacific Alamo: The Battle for Wake Island
3852028

William Stevenson was a British-born Canadian author and journalist. His 1976 book "A Man Called Intrepid" was about William Stephenson (no relation) and was a best-seller. It was made into a 1979 mini-series starring David Niven and Stevenson followed it up with a 1983 book titled "Intrepid's Last Case."

Stevens
More about William Stevenson...