Start by marking “Behind the Palace Walls” as Want to Read:
Behind the Palace Walls

Behind the Palace Walls

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  462 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Alone and scared on the dark streets of Moscow, staid, bespectacled Paige Barnes has no choice but to comply with the handsome stranger's command....Little does Paige know she's been rescued by Alexei Voronov--a Russian prince "and" her boss's deadliest rival. Now he has Paige unexpectedly in his sights, Alexei is prepared to play emotional Russian roulette to keep her clo ...more
Published June 7th 2011 by Harlequin (first published December 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Behind the Palace Walls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behind the Palace Walls

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
This is fairy tale stuff. A normal girl goes to Russia, meets a billionaire, gorgeous prince, and ends up married to him. However, this fairy tale heroine has to work hard for her happy ending. Her fairy tale prince is a prisoner in his self-constructed tower of loneliness. Driven by vengeance, he has closed himself off to love. It will take a courageous, determined heroine to conquer this prince.

Russia sung its siren song to me through this book. I liked the touches that Ms. Harris added to ma
Onu
This was such a beautiful story about the healing powers of love, forgiveness and of letting go of the past. I am glad I waited for the right mood to strike me before I read this wonderful book.

Alexei was almost perfect. I loved how he evolved gradually from a cold, calculated ruthless business tycoon whose only aim in life seemed to wreck the lives of people who had destroyed his family to a warm , sensitive, forgiving man who embraced life openly and accepted the blessings of love. I have a w
Kate
Overall rating -- 4.5 stars

I gave it an extra half a star for correctly feminizing the heroine's last name from Voronov to Voronova once they marry. Yes, it's the little things that make me happy when it comes to reading a book that takes place in Russia.
MelissaB
This was a really nice story, I enjoyed the Russian setting and the characters. The ending was sweet too. This author shows a lot of promise.
Jacqueline
A very pleasant HP. Not a melodramatic angst fest. There was just enough conflict to keep it interesting. I liked the Russian setting. I felt that it was used well. The hero wasn't really an ass just mixed up emotionally. The heroine was sweet. Well written and the plot hung together pretty well without going in depth about the whole business scenario. I would be willing to try this author again.
SheLove2Read
I loved the Russian setting but the heroine left quite a bit to be desired. She needed to grow a spine and not let the hero tell her what was going to happen. A bit of an eye roller in parts too with the usual HQ Presents drama.
Nancy Crocker
This the the story of Prince Alexei Voronvo who's mission in life is to get back everything that had belonged in his family and he is not above using Paige Barnes to get what he needs.

They meet when the Prince rescues her from 3 men that are chasing her. He has her pretend they are lovers making love in the dark against a building, to avoid detection from the men. What Paige feels from that make out session sends her up in flames. She has never felt that kind of passion. She has been so busy wor
Alex is The Romance Fox

This is a story about the dark, handsome knight in shining armour rescuing the beautiful and sweet heroine.
I don’t usually like stories about the new Russian oligarchs but Alexei Voronov was a great hero. An impoverished, handsome Russian prince who struggled to regain his wealth and is determined to get his revenge on his rival.
Paige Barnes, is hardworking and always helping others. One night, alone in the dark streets of Moscow, looking for her sister, she is rescued rescued by Alexei, her b
Gege86
Wow…what could I say more? It was engaging form the first page to the last; I just couldn’t put it down, I finished it in one setting.
Alixie was charming and sophisticated, a true prince. Paige was a normal girl; I really felt I could relate to her. And the ending was so full of emotion I just couldn't stop crying. (which is the norm for me lol)
Lynn Raye Harris is fast becoming my favorite author.
Amelia
this is a good read for those who seek charming russian hero... i enjoy this book but i kind of get mad because Alexei tortured Paige like that. I cant even imagine being treated like that and even after he apologized it's just those words "im sorry" if i were Paige i'd expect him to beg my mercy on his knees lol. But damn... since i love russian men.. 3 stars it is
Lynsey A
This was my first book by Lynn Raye Harris...I think. :) I enjoyed the book. It was a sweet love story. Good read.
Bridie Coleman
First book that I have read by Lynn Raye Harris - does not disappoint. Fab first chapter
Paula Legate
Roub
i absolutely loved it !! this was a keeper ! i who thought i didn't like plain jane heroines, i was greatly surprised. infact it's usually the books which i love best because you really see how the love evolved and how the hero fell in love with the complete package and not only wid her lustful body ! this one was definitely a great read with just the right pace..not all authors can do that. there's usually some part which seems odd in a book; as if it was not appropriate at that particular mome ...more
A.Lux
(4.5) In Harris's book we get to meet Alexei Voronov, a Russian prince who happens to be very masculine and pleasing to the eye. He helps our damsel in distress, Paige from a drunken lute of men in middle of the night, to save from their cruelty they share a searing hot kiss that leaves them both wanting more and soon the story unfolds. Paige can't help feel attracted to the dark stranger who saved her, but she knows it'll never happen. Instead she has hopes set on her boss, Chad, but trouble is ...more
Tatiana Lammers
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
As a Russian native I was very curious to read the book with a Russian character in it. I really liked the use of Russian little phrases and the names of familiar things and places.
The only thing I found to be a contradiction in the story was this: Alexei keeps calling Paige 'moya ljubimaya' (my love) and yet she is waiting for him to tell her that he loves her. When a Russian calls someone his/her love, it's not just a pet-name, that is
Katherine Bone
I'm a sucker for Lynn Raye Harris' books. Her characters enliven the page and keep me asking for more. Russian businessman Alexei Voronov is driven to avenge his family but he cannot help but be drawn to Paige Barnes, even though she works for and has got a thing for the man he wants to destroy. Within the pages of this book, the reader is given a flavor of Russian aristocracy and a family legacy denied. There is family turmoil, jealousy, and passion throughout this book. And I can't get the ope ...more
Tonya Warner
Paige searches Moscow, Russia for her missing sister, but she instead encounters Prince Alexei Voronov. Alexei is everything she could dream of in a man for herself, but he is also the enemy of her boss.

Alexei has one goal in life, destroy the Russell family. Finding out the woman seeking refuge in his arms is the secretary to his cousin and enemy, Alexei first sets out to trap her, but soon finds out he is the one trapped. Trapped and bound to a woman he must resist loving.

A very sweet story.
Coldcase hertz
i loved it.. the build up to the climax even though i wanted to slap that countess lol life
Lauren Boyer
It was good. pretty much up to par with what I have come to expect of Harlequin. The only issue I think ...well..okay..maybe there were two...the tempo seemed a little off... tension resolved too quickly in most cases. The other issue mainly rested in the fact that even for a romance novel the girl in question seemed a little mary-sueish. Maybe I'm nitpicking. I enjoyed the book...I just..hmm...how does anyone give a review without sounding mean?
Diane
Jun 16, 2011 Diane rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: hp
it could have been so good but instead i found it rather disappointing. reasearch can be very important in writing, even with contemporary books. it just irritated me that author referred to russian queens when they are NOT queens but tsarinas (czarinas), empress of all the russias. it's little things like that that really bug me
Brittany
I received this book through the First Reads giveaway program on Goodreads.

I really enjoyed this quick read! The emotions were real and I was able to relate (for the most part, no prince in my life...lol) to Paige. Being in an area you aren't familiar with, getting pregnant and debating if you should tell the father of the baby.
Christina
Loved how the heroine met the hero. The rest of the book felt like something else I had read several hundred times, although there were many highlights. It's also nice to read a book that both features and captures Russia at its best.
Nancy
I won this book from goodreads. Was curious about Harlequin romance novels. If this is indicative of the genre, they're not for me. Silly and implausible...but maybe it would have appealed to me as a teenager.
Mary
Apr 30, 2012 Mary marked it as to-read
Ok Jill - This post is for you! I read this on the plane home. It was really a quick, interesting read. I enjoyed the characters and the Russian settings. I did get to meet this author at RT2012 and she was sweet.
Tawnya
Harris did an outstanding job with this book. I would say it is one of her best, but as of yet I haven't read all of her books. As I do though they each impress me in their own way.
Stephanie Jones
This book was great! I loved the setting in Russia as well as the fantastic characters! It made me want to read other books set in Russia, especially by this same author!
Elle
rating:4.5!

I really loved this book! I recommend you check it out, if you are having a Harlequin obsession as I do * guilty look*
Shannon
Enjoyable romance set in Russia! It was a sweet romance with a happy ending!! Quick read and overall very good book!
Dee
Audio Book narrated by Laurence Bouvard. A great Harlequin which was really well narrated by Ms Bouvard.
  • A Night of Living Dangerously (Mills & Boon Modern)
  • The Innocent's Surrender
  • A Mistake, a Prince and a Pregnancy
  • A Dark Sicilian Secret
  • Doukakis's Apprentice
  • Raffaele: Taming His Tempestuous Virgin (Orisini Brothers, #1)
  • Prince of Scandal
  • The Restless Billionaire (Bad Blood #3)
  • The Heir from Nowhere
  • Ruthless Magnate, Convenient Wife
  • Once Touched, Never Forgotten (Harlequin Presents #3034)
  • Marchese's Forgotten Bride
  • Beauty and the Greek
  • The Sicilian's Marriage Arrangement
USA Today bestselling author Lynn Raye Harris burst onto the scene when she won a writing contest held by Harlequin. A former finalist for the Romance Writers of America's Golden Heart Award and the National Readers Choice Award, Lynn lives in Alabama with her handsome former military husband and two crazy cats. Lynn writes about hot military heroes, sizzling international billionaires, and the wo ...more
More about Lynn Raye Harris...
Hot Pursuit (Hostile Operations Team, #1) Hot Mess (Hostile Operations Team, #2) Strangers in the Desert (The Al Dhakir Brothers #1) Maddie's Marine Hot Package (Hostile Operations Team, #3)

“He closed the distance between them, slipped an arm around her waist beneath the blanket. His fingers traced her jaw, slid into the hair at her nape. “You are a fascinating woman, Paige. No wonder Russell chose you for this task. Or did you volunteer?”

With a tug, she was flush against him. The blanket fell away as she let it go to press her hands against his chest. Paige closed her eyes. His naked chest.

His skin was hot beneath her hands, silky and hard, and she wanted to pet him like a cat.

How could she possibly find him sexy at a time like this?

“Let me go,” she breathed.

“Before you’ve done what you came to do?”

“I didn’t come here to do anything.”

“What did Russell offer you?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about!”

“Were you supposed to seduce me? Supposed to leave me sated and exhausted in bed while you went through my papers?” His head dipped toward her. “Because I have to say, Paige, that I am very disappointed in your technique thus far. But I find I am quite willing to allow you to complete your mission.

She knew she should pull away when his lips touched hers, but it was physically impossible. Not because he held her too tightly, but because her body was zinging with sparks that she didn’t want to end…”
4 likes